What needs to be done to finish the D reboot?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Even though I was a little bit of a downer above I do think its possible scheme issues led to a lot of the problems and another year with it maybe we're not as bad as I think it is.....its completely possible. I hope that's the case as it would be awesome to get ahead of schedule.

toffee

Reaction score
I like the concept, except I would prefer to see them pick up a free agent Vet Nose Tackle like A’Shawn Robinson so we aren’t thrusting a coup,e rookies into that role. Having Mazi as the primary NT backup and Coburn as a late round pick in training would be ideal.
Like this better?
Defense
DEJalan CarterJarran ReedMyles Adams
NTMazi SmithKeondre CoburnMone*Mone injured
DEDre'Mont JonesJarrod Hewitt
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi Jones
MLBDevin BushNick BelloreJoshua OnujioguJ. Brooks injured
MLBJack CampbellJon Rhattigan
OLBUchenna Nwosu
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
Tyreke Smith
LCBCody Bryan
Tre Brown
Chris Steele
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah Dunn
NCBJulian Love
SSJamal AdamsRyan Neal
FSDiggsJoey Blount

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Like this better?
Defense
DEJalan CarterJarran ReedMyles Adams
NTMazi SmithKeondre CoburnMone*Mone injured
DEDre'Mont JonesJarrod Hewitt
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi Jones
MLBDevin BushNick BelloreJoshua OnujioguJ. Brooks injured
MLBJack CampbellJon Rhattigan
OLBUchenna Nwosu
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
Tyreke Smith
LCBCody Bryan
Tre Brown
Chris Steele
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah Dunn
NCBJulian Love
SSJamal AdamsRyan Neal
FSDiggsJoey Blount
View attachment 58412
Those simulators are a blast. I‘ve probably run 100+ versions already. 😁😁

Carter scares me……DTs Lacking motivation scare me.

I still think Jarran Reed will be the other DE starter on day 1.
I like Mazi Smith, and then Ade Ade, DE at #37 in your scenario there.
@#5 give me Anderson or one of the top 4 QBs. 😉

renofox

Reaction score
Even though I was a little bit of a downer above I do think its possible scheme issues led to a lot of the problems and another year with it maybe we're not as bad as I think it is.....its completely possible. I hope that's the case as it would be awesome to get ahead of schedule.
I think it was lack of talent and it seems NFL GMs agree. All starting IDL have been cut or are FAs and not one has been signed elsewhere. Yes, prior years' talent evaluation and/or DL coaching was actually that horrendous.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't think that's a valid comparison because in 2020, the 49ers went 6-10 but that was in large part due to injuries, including both Garappolo and Bosa going down in week 2. Bosa missed the rest of the season with an ACL and Garappolo ended up missing 10 games that year with two ankle injuries.

Yes, the 49ers have QB issues, and I think they could slip next year, with Purdy not the same after his elbow surgery, and all the players they've lost. But I doubt we can improve so much that we will get 13 wins. But this is the NFL, and things can change in an instant.

Injuries are part and parcel of football though and losing 1 or 2 players shouldn't derail an entire season, regardless of how good they are, your record reflects the team quality. In 2021 we likewise suffered injuries, with Wilson out for a quarter season and it took him another quarter for his play to recover, we were most of the season without a #1 running back. Adams, Tre Brown ending on IR, lots of missed time across the O-line etc.

Likewise things like last season Jamal Adams went down in week 1 for us and while people here are divided on him it doesn't change the fact that he's a key part of our defense and it affected the way we planned for the season.

This year we'll also lose players to injury, what shows a good team is how well they recover from adversity and the strength in depth - the Niners lost 2 starting QBs to injury last year but that didn't stop them until they eventually lost a 3rd (though probably didn't make a difference in the end).

What matters now is a strong draft to plug the remaining holes in the roster, after a couple of years of the team getting younger and better we now need that leap forward which will make the difference.

toffee

Reaction score
Those simulators are a blast. I‘ve probably run 100+ versions already. 😁😁

Carter scares me……DTs Lacking motivation scare me.

I still think Jarran Reed will be the other DE starter on day 1.
I like Mazi Smith, and then Ade Ade, DE at #37 in your scenario there.
@#5 give me Anderson or one of the top 4 QBs. 😉
The amount of holes in our lineup and lack of depth is alarming, we need to draft very very well this year and next.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yup. That's what I just started to realize in the last week.

I thought there was a plan until Woods got released. Now I'm not so sure.....

That is the plan, to get younger and more dependable on the D-line.

No more dinged up old dudes who miss 4-5 games a year and wear down at the end of the season when you need them most.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

No more dinged up old dudes who miss 4-5 games a year and wear down at the end of the season when you need them most.
maybe....

toffee

Reaction score

Dudes in the trenches, I think 21 years old kids, their body hasn't fully filled out yet, I would assume that they are at disadvantage against a say 28 to.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think they're futher away than we realize. Last year we had a lot of success but we also benefited from the easiest schedule in the league and some things bouncing our way that probably aren't repeatable. This isnt a knock on Geno but he led the league in turnover worthy throws AND had the lowest % of those not picked off which isn't repeatable. That alone could've swung 2-3 games the other direction. Next year the schedule won't be as easy and we will have to play better. But on the bright side whatever internal scouting they did last year draft wise was a game changer so while a part of me thinks it was a fluke, I'm hoping they fixed some gaps in their process and the next few drafts will continue to be good.

TO answer the original question we need a ton of pieces and I don't think you get there in one year but who knows maybe some things bounce our way next year again, Jamall is healthy and returns to the player he was before coming here and we have another draft that kicks ass.
Have to disagree a bit. We lost 4-6 games due souly on our poor run defense. Not saying we got that problem is fixed, but we're headed in the right direction. Say we add Mazi Smith & Jack Campbell, and our front 7 is much better then last year. I see us finishing this season right on the cusp of the Playoffs again. Even if we find 5 starters in this draft again, we are still playing catchup with Philly & 49ers.

Scout

Reaction score
I have a feeling Love will be on the field.
They'll find a way to get him out there.
You can call Love a starter in nickel packages whether as a true NCB or as a big nickel when the Hawks go with three safety alignment.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
He don't fit our defensive scheme. I personally hate the 3-4 defense
I like the 3-4 but not like how the Seahawks are presently using ( Vic Fangio’s). It is a defense that is good for deception I love how Pittsburgh uses it with a fair amount of zone blitzing. With the players in the front 7 from play to play you never know who might be rushing the passer and who will be dropping back into pass coverage it can be very confusing for a QB even the most experienced

HawksNation

Reaction score
They need Jamal Adams to be healthy & be a game wrecker.
They need to draft a bunch of defensive players that fit into their front 7 & contribute.
They need a RB or 2 either thru the draft or FA. Maybe go the UDFA route.
They need a couple big boys for the OL on the cheap. DJ Fluker anyone?
They might need a WR if Eskridge can't answer the bell. FA?
Adams can be moved up to LB for the season, and we still can make the cap work to add another DL.

HawksNation

Reaction score
I like the 3-4 but not like how the Seahawks are presently using ( Vic Fangio’s). It is a defense that is good for deception I love how Pittsburgh uses it with a fair amount of zone blitzing. With the players in the front 7 from play to play you never know who might be rushing the passer and who will be dropping back into pass coverage it can be very confusing for a QB even the most experienced
Seems like it’s even confusing for the Seahawks to figure it out 🤣

morgulon1

Reaction score
You can call Love a starter in nickel packages whether as a true NCB or as a big nickel when the Hawks go with three safety alignment.
So my question is do you think Ryan Neal starts ahead of Love if Adams is unavailable? My gut is Diggs and Love are the 2 safeties. Have they resigned Neal ?

HawksNation

Reaction score
I think it was lack of talent and it seems NFL GMs agree. All starting IDL have been cut or are FAs and not one has been signed elsewhere. Yes, prior years' talent evaluation and/or DL coaching was actually that horrendous.
Don’t be surprised if we bring back some of our DL that we cut for a much cheaper contract.

Scout

Reaction score
So my question is do you think Ryan Neal starts ahead of Love if Adams is unavailable? My gut is Diggs and Love are the 2 safeties. Have they resigned Neal ?
If Adams is unavailable it will depend upon what the Hawks are trying to do. I think Love can fill Adams role as a box player in a pinch while Neal can play on the backend.

The Hawks lacked Adams' presence in the box last year and it showed. Having Adams AND Love would help the team in run defense in a hurry. Especially protecting the 9 gap or even having Adams or Love blitz right up the A gaps.

Hawks land a NT or two, draft some ILB as insurance and I think the defense is ready to roll for the most part. Depth can be worked on as always with any NFL team. But the team has made sure that if Adams isn't ready to go that Love can fill the void.

Latest posts