What needs to be done to finish the D reboot?

Kinger95

Reaction score
I honestly think the only way for us to get back to having a top defense is patience. Probably not gonna happen this year. We need to knock this draft out of the park. Need to have improvement from a bunch of young players, need dremont to perform as good or better than his contract, we’re simply paying our safety’s too much so we’re probably moving on from diggs after this season so need to fill those holes. Not gonna be done in 1 season

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly think the only way for us to get back to having a top defense is patience. Probably not gonna happen this year. We need to knock this draft out of the park. Need to have improvement from a bunch of young players, need dremont to perform as good or better than his contract, we’re simply paying our safety’s too much so we’re probably moving on from diggs after this season so need to fill those holes. Not gonna be done in 1 season

Yep.

I see this as a 2-3 year plan on the defensive side of the ball, while keeping the offensive stable. So you decide, is this year 1, or year 2.

Probably year 1 if we're being honest, with just about the entire D-line and most of the LB's being released or not offered 5th year contracts.

I know we have the picks to restock playmakers on defense, but John and Pete can't afford to whiff on 80% of them like their track record shows the past 8-9 years on front seven draft picks.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Both Diggs and Adams need to take significant pay cuts... now. They are both way overpaid.

We need the cap space to shore up ILB and NT positions before the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both Diggs and Adams need to take significant pay cuts... now. They are both way overpaid.

We need the cap space to shore up ILB and NT positions before the draft.

If Diggs has another good year, you might be able to talk him into a restructure next off season if you want to add another year onto his contract with some more bonus money up front.

But Adams isn't doing crap. We're stuck with him for another year, then John will pull a hamstring cutting his ass as soon as the season's over.

No way in hell he'd take a pay cut now without incentive. Worst contract in Hawk's history. Worst trade in Hawk's history.

toffee

Reaction score
A few moving parts that are hard to evaluate just yet....

1)PC/JS really like flexible players that can contribute in different roles. If they snag another guy that can play OC or OG, then that's one less body they need. ...like MBennett filled the roles of 2 guys on DL for years. It seems like, maybe, JAdams might be put into a novel role that we haven't seen before that (at the least) could back up a few positions, or sub...obviously: if healthy.

2)In the previous draft, JS brought in 5 starters with fewer picks. I know that's not something to expect yearly. However, if the '23 draft yields near that, this discussion is more of a celebration thread, not anxiety-inducing.

3)I believe #5 will give insight into PC/JSs expectations. It's mentioned above that the build may be 1/2/3 years out. If they see the same, their favorite QB at 5 is a huge step forward. If they believe a deep run this year is in the cards, a trade back or #5worthy DL is the move.

4) It's been mentioned in other threads but relevant here: there should be a concerted effort to motivate JAdams to take a pay cut. If he were to be cut, he couldn't re-sign anywhere for 11mil salary due this year. Restructuring pushes cap out further which seems like JS is avoiding. He doesn't want to be saddled any longer with an unavailable player. It'll probably be a game of chicken but bringing in Julian Love should give JS more leverage.

We'll know more about a couple of these items as things play out with FAcy and any contract announcements. Otherwise, it's wait for the draft. Even then, we'll still be wondering until camp shows who's lining up where and how often. Remember last year when we drafted 2 OTs but we were all too scared to even suggest they'd both be NFL caliber OTs? Lucas started TC lining up at OG until he won OT. Imagine how boring other fanbases TC turns out because the Coaching staff lacks imagination and is risk adverse. Let's just hope for happy surprises.
i used this table on another thread, but it highlighted that unlike last year, in this draft, we could draft for potential on the offense side. On the defense, we need to draft guys that could potentially start out of the gate:

Defense
DEKanceyJarran ReedMyles Adams
NTMazi SmithKeondre CoburnMone*Mone injured
DEDre'Mont JonesTuli TuipulotuJarrod Hewitt
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi Jones
MLBDevin BushNick BelloreJoshua OnujioguJ. Brooks injured
MLBJack CampbellJon Rhattigan
OLBUchenna Nwosu
BJ Ojulari
Tyreke Smith
LCBCody Bryan
Tre Brown
Chris Steele
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah Dunn
NCBJulian Love
SSJamal AdamsRyan Neal
FSDiggsJoey Blount
Offense
QBGeno SmithDrew LockHendon Hooker
WR1Tyler LockettEasop Winston Jr
WR2DK MetcalfMichael WilsonDareke Young
WR3Dee EksridgeCade Johnson
TENoah Fant ?Will DissilyColby Parkingsondraft a project?
RBKen Walker IVRoschon JohnsonDJ Dallas
LTCharles CrossStone Forsythe
LGDamien LewisGreg Eiland
CEvan Brown???
RGPhil HaynesChandler Zavala
RTAbe LucasJake Curhan

Last edited: Sunday at 6:59 PM

themunn

Reaction score
You're right that we're still a few pieces away from rebuilding this thing. We're not going to fix everything in one year--you're just not. The gap between us and the 49ers is way too big. Even if we get lucky in the draft, you can't count on acquiring more than two or three significant players that way. If things fall our way, we'll be somewhat better than last year. But we're not going from last year's roster to a Super Bowl contending one after one year.

In 2020 we went 12-4 and 49ers went 6-10
In 2021 we went 7-10 and 49ers went 10-7
In 2022 we went 9-8 and 49ers went 13-4

What makes you think that with their QB injuries and a good draft by us/poor draft by the Niners that we couldnt' do something similar, going from a 7 win team to a 13 win team in 2 seasons?

Frozenropers

Reaction score
i used this table on another thread, but it highlighted that unlike last year, in this draft, we could draft for potential on the offense side. On the defense, we need to draft guys that could potentially start out of the gate:

Defense
OLBUchenna Nwosu
BJ Ojulari
Tyreke Smith
LCBCody Bryan
Tre Brown
Chris Steele
NCBJulian Love
SSJamal AdamsRyan Neal
FSDiggsJoey Blount
Offense
CEvan Brown???
RTAbe LucasJake Curhan

I like the concept, except I would prefer to see them pick up a free agent Vet Nose Tackle like A’Shawn Robinson so we aren’t thrusting a coup,e rookies into that role. Having Mazi as the primary NT backup and Coburn as a late round pick in training would be ideal.

toffee

Reaction score
I like the concept, except I would prefer to see them pick up a free agent Vet Nose Tackle like A’Shawn Robinson so we aren’t thrusting a coup,e rookies into that role. Having Mazi as the primary NT backup and Coburn as a late round pick in training would be ideal.
Same here, I am with you on signing a nose tackle! This table represents what we have signed and how we could potentially make it work. As you can see from the table, if we don't sign a legit nose tackle, we needed to pull a 2022 again and find THREE starters on DL, which is quite a tall order, don't you think?

Ozzy

Reaction score

What makes you think that with their QB injuries and a good draft by us/poor draft by the Niners that we couldnt' do something similar, going from a 7 win team to a 13 win team in 2 seasons?
It's very possible but we need to draft really well like we did last year. If it looks like it did the few before that its not happening

TheLost

Reaction score
I think they're futher away than we realize. Last year we had a lot of success but we also benefited from the easiest schedule in the league and some things bouncing our way that probably aren't repeatable. This isnt a knock on Geno but he led the league in turnover worthy throws AND had the lowest % of those not picked off which isn't repeatable. That alone could've swung 2-3 games the other direction. Next year the schedule won't be as easy and we will have to play better. But on the bright side whatever internal scouting they did last year draft wise was a game changer so while a part of me thinks it was a fluke, I'm hoping they fixed some gaps in their process and the next few drafts will continue to be good.

TO answer the original question we need a ton of pieces and I don't think you get there in one year but who knows maybe some things bounce our way next year again, Jamall is healthy and returns to the player he was before coming here and we have another draft that kicks ass.
It may have been the easiest schedule in the league on paper however you need to remember we lost every single game against the nfc south teams that were making it look easy.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
When do we draft more safeties?

I mean, the horizon is fairly short to where both Adams and Diggs simply aren't or can't (and the cost!). Neal and Blount seem like good depth pieces.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The Seahawks still need a entirely new front 7. Brooks is replaceable and looks just meh, but sadly he’s our best ILB. Bush and Brooks are a pretty bad combo. The LBs are easily our worst position on defense next to DT. Our DTs depth is non-existent. It’s a shame Carter is a head case. We really need someone to anchor our line.

Our DEs are passable but also extremely thin. On the 3-4 OLBs, Uchenna is probably our only three down OLB that can do everything well.

Essentially, everything aside from our secondary is in rough shape on defense. I’m really hoping we find some good linebackers this draft.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Free agency usually means the team doesn’t want to retain you anymore but in this case they scored with Dre’Mont and Julian Love (both upper echelon) and cut loose the dead weight of older unproductive veterans. The front 7, with the exception of Nwosu and Taylor are all brand new and upgrades. It was cool to get Jarran Reed back who still has a lot in the tank. Defensively they’ve improved a lot through FA before the draft but if they nail another draft this team will be legit for years. Not sure why all the focus at the OSU pro day I doubt they get Stroud79D47303 B33E 4D73 99AC A2D0C6996811

Last edited:

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Same here, I am with you on signing a nose tackle! This table represents what we have signed and how we could potentially make it work. As you can see from the table, if we don't sign a legit nose tackle, we needed to pull a 2022 again and find THREE starters on DL, which is quite a tall order, don't you think?
Agreed, although I think Reed will be the other starter at DE. So Jones; DE/?, NT/Reed, DE. Myles Adams, DE could be a backup on the line……i think they have to address the NT position with at least veteran before the draft. I also wouldn’t mind another ILB before the draft, like you note. That would give them a lot of flexibility to let the draft come to them with value. 🍻🍻🍻

bileever

Reaction score

I don't think that's a valid comparison because in 2020, the 49ers went 6-10 but that was in large part due to injuries, including both Garappolo and Bosa going down in week 2. Bosa missed the rest of the season with an ACL and Garappolo ended up missing 10 games that year with two ankle injuries.

Yes, the 49ers have QB issues, and I think they could slip next year, with Purdy not the same after his elbow surgery, and all the players they've lost. But I doubt we can improve so much that we will get 13 wins. But this is the NFL, and things can change in an instant.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
When do we draft more safeties?

I mean, the horizon is fairly short to where both Adams and Diggs simply aren't or can't (and the cost!). Neal and Blount seem like good depth pieces.
Adding Love helps a lot with this. Depth with the Love signing is:

FS: Diggs, Blount
SS: Neal, Love, IR-Adams.

I think they could draft 1 FS and be in good shape here. I’m not a Blount fan.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Free agency usually means the team doesn’t want to retain you anymore but in this case they scored with Dre’Mont and Julian Love (both upper echelon) and cut loose the dead weight of older unproductive veterans. The front 7, with the exception of Nwosu and Taylor are all brand new and upgrades. It was cool to get Jarran Reed back who still has a lot in the tank. Defensively they’ve improved a lot through FA before the draft but if they nail another draft this team will be legit for years. Not sure why all the focus at the OSU pro day I doubt they get StroudView attachment 58411
They are doing the QB tour so might as well stay on the road…..Alabama today.

Possible OSU targets.
QB, Stroud (however unlikely to fall to us)
C, Wypler
OT, Jones
WR, JS-N
S, Hickman
DE, Harrison (doesn’t really fit)

…..always plenty to look at if they are already on the road. 👍🍻🍻🍻

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think they're futher away than we realize. Last year we had a lot of success but we also benefited from the easiest schedule in the league and some things bouncing our way that probably aren't repeatable. This isnt a knock on Geno but he led the league in turnover worthy throws AND had the lowest % of those not picked off which isn't repeatable. That alone could've swung 2-3 games the other direction. Next year the schedule won't be as easy and we will have to play better. But on the bright side whatever internal scouting they did last year draft wise was a game changer so while a part of me thinks it was a fluke, I'm hoping they fixed some gaps in their process and the next few drafts will continue to be good.

TO answer the original question we need a ton of pieces and I don't think you get there in one year but who knows maybe some things bounce our way next year again, Jamall is healthy and returns to the player he was before coming here and we have another draft that kicks ass.
I agree.

This year sparks a full total rebuild of the defense with only a few pieces being able to sustain a long-term contract with Seattle.

I’m not even sure Diggs and Adams is on the team in 3 years.

It takes about 3 solid draft years to build a functional top NFL defense.

Seattle really started last year with the only piece you can actually count: Tariq Woolen.

Uchenna Nwosu, Coby Bryant (jury is still out), and Tariq Woolen is the best bunch.

Every single level of the defense needs to be replenished with young talent (as well as correct coaching) in order to rise to the top of the NFL again.

The 2023 and 2024 draft should get Seattle back to being a top unit or at least respectable, defensively, if they are both draft class hits.

This upcoming season will be a show of who can be part of the future or who was a draft bust the last few years.

This is definitely a must prove it year for Jordyn Brooks. Honestly, I haven’t seen enough good things from Brooks to warrant Seattle extending him past his rookie deal.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

Defense
OLBUchenna Nwosu
BJ Ojulari
Tyreke Smith
LCBCody Bryan
Tre Brown
Chris Steele
NCBJulian Love
SSJamal AdamsRyan Neal
FSDiggsJoey Blount
Offense
CEvan Brown???
RTAbe LucasJake Curhan

Not on board with Kancey as a 3-4 end his best spot will be a penetrating 3 tech in a 4-3. Instead I would like Zach Harrison ( Ohio State)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Based solely on our off-season moves so far it looks like we may be planning on two gapping on the strong side DE role but single gapping on the weak side a fair amount. We did that at times with Mone last season trying to help out Brooks in particular. If Adams moves down or we have a quick developmental LB (Simpson/Sanders/Pace/Pappoe/Henley) then I could see us leaning into that even more on neutral downs, and then going back to the unpopular two DL formations on passing downs.

Which is a complicated way of saying that you shouldn't take somebody off our board just because they seem better as a single gapping 3T/5T disruptor. Those were commonly played alignments for us last season.