What QB might we draft or sign next year? other than

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm probably way off with this, but I wonder if PC would be enamored enough to get Matt Barkley either by trade or waiver wire if he doesn't stick with the Eagles. It is no secret he really liked him at SC enough to give him the job as a true freshman. Barkley is not a fit with the Eagles, so possibly he would be a better fit here.

As I said, probably way off...........

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kf3339":1nslkwgm said:
I'm probably way off with this, but I wonder if PC would be enamored enough to get Matt Barkley either by trade or waiver wire if he doesn't stick with the Eagles. It is no secret he really liked him at SC enough to give him the job as a true freshman. Barkley is not a fit with the Eagles, so possibly he would be a better fit here.

As I said, probably way off...........
He'd be cheaper than TJack. As a backup, why not?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":7r818wd0 said:
bmorepunk":7r818wd0 said:
I was trying to figure out why someone would talk about taking a rookie and just plugging him in with a high probability of success. Wilson, Carroll, ans Schneider have made it look easy, but it's not.
The answer is because this is one of the most QB friendly teams in the league right now. We've got arguably the 2-3rd best running-back in the NFL backed by a defense performing at historical levels. The fact is, Wilson has had a relatively easy job compared to most of his peers. He doesn't need to change plays at the LOS, he's asked to make relatively easy throws, and avoid throws that have the potential for turnover. This means he usually isn't asked to throw his receivers open, nor is he asked to execute routes that require precise timing. He generally does not use the middle of the field, and most of his throws are to the sideline meaning that they have a higher chance of bouncing out of bounds harmlessly if Wilson misses a throw. Most of the things this offense does is simplistic, this offense is designed to keep the ball effectively shortening the game, and keeping our defense off the field, and fresh. This method, when running as it should slows down even the most potent offenses. It is extremely hard to score when your offense is never on the field.

This is not a knock on Wilson, it is just what he is asked to do. His main goal is to pick up third downs, and keep the offense on the field. Our offense rarely has to score over 24 points in order to win games. In fact when our offense needs to do so our record is extremely bad. This is why you have people questioning what exactly his value is. This is one of the easier offenses for QB's to step in, and have at least a modicum success. We don't ask very much of our QB's and they are asked to make easy throws, when those throws aren't available it is up to Wilson's legs to either get guys open, or take off for a few cheap yards. That is not to say that he CAN'T make hard throws, he has, and does -- but he isn't asked to do it with any kind of consistency.

Could he have success in another system? Probably, but right now he is not asked to do much. He is a huge part of our success, yet I also have the feeling that the Seahawks could be successful without Wilson. I think around here is value is overrated severely, he is not worth the same amount as somebody such as Aaron Rodgers, especially since before he was paid he was essentially most of the Packers team. Wilson is not Rodgers, and I think its worth noting that he's not very good on short routes, or identifying when teams are trying to blitz him. That makes me worried for his future as a volume passer, which he will need to become if we pay him like Aaron Rodgers.

I think the bolded is pretty simple...Picking up first downs is kinda difficult. I think that is what you meant. :mrgreen:

In our system, he is not asked to do anything but be intelligent with the ball. In the beginning, he was a bit flighty in the fact that he threw the ball a lot and a few interceptions were had. He had the running skills and used them to advantage until the passing skills and reads were up to par. Then they let the reins loose and we saw his results. Knowledge takes time.....Not sure if he has had enough time yet. These are my thoughts alone.

randomation

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1hnnr50x said:
The answer is because this is one of the most QB friendly teams in the league right now.

-Snip

Alright let's talk about this. How is it qb friendly to have a line that is swiss cheese. Did you know Russ actually had the third highest DVOA in the league without pressure; behind only rodgers and romo. The only problem he has been the most pressured qb in the league both of the last two years. Most qbs would be dead behind our line. Russ is also the 15th in the league in rushing yards take away his yards and we are still top 5 but definitely not top.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think Matt Barkley is going to be a Seahawk this season after he gets cut in Philly. If he hasn't been destroyed mentally, he should win the backup job. Tarvaris will be available in the middle of the season to pull off the couch if there is an injury along the way.

If Russell leaves in the next couple years, Barkley could step in and I think he'd be okay...which is more than Tarvaris would offer.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
There's too much misconception about Wilson being bad at beating the blitz, here's a link with stats during the 2013 season he was the best at beating the blitz that year. The difference was he had pretty good weapons to utlize in 2013. Sometimes it comes down to the timing of the QB and WR, it's pretty sad when your RB is your 3rd best receiver, and scored more receiving TD than your #2 WR last year.

Look at how many times Russell leads in the Blitz category

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... the-blitz/

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":mbmli3lv said:
There's too much misconception about Wilson being bad at beating the blitz, here's a link with stats during the 2013 season he was the best at beating the blitz that year. The difference was he had pretty good weapons to utlize in 2013. Sometimes it comes down to the timing of the QB and WR, it's pretty sad when your RB is your 3rd best receiver, and scored more receiving TD than your #2 WR last year.

Great post but you are wasting your time, some people are convinced any QB would do. Just read the posts. They are delusional for sure but that is what they believe. Besides what you posted you have the below, showing how many wins our passing efficiency gets us. Notice we are # 5 and ahead of Indy, NO, Dallas, Pitts and many others. And so far Wilson has been doing it with one of the worst pass blocking oline in the league and a bottom 3rd Wr corps. Unlike all those ahead of him.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/bl ... /04/page/3

5.73 games that is the number of games we would loose with NFL avg efficiency instead of what Wilson gets us. That means 5-6 more losses a year. Guess what that means no playoffs each of the last 3 years.

Of course there is more facts and stats that show why any avg QB would not do, but like I said some do not want to believe it and never will.

bandiger

Reaction score
Anthony!":1mg85lf6 said:
theincrediblesok":1mg85lf6 said:

Great post but you are wasting your time, some people are convinced any QB would do. Just read the posts. They are delusional for sure but that is what they believe. Besides what you posted you have the below, showing how many wins our passing efficiency gets us. Notice we are # 5 and ahead of Indy, NO, Dallas, Pitts and many others. And so far Wilson has been doing it with one of the worst pass blocking oline in the league and a bottom 3rd Wr corps. Unlike all those ahead of him.

5.73 games that is the number of games we would loose with NFL avg efficiency instead of what Wilson gets us. That means 5-6 more losses a year. Guess what that means no playoffs each of the last 3 years.

Of course there is more facts and stats that show why any avg QB would not do, but like I said some do not want to believe it and never will.

Yep cause its so easy to replace a QB thats under so much pressure like Wilson these last couple of seasons :sarcasm_on:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/27/seahawks-russell-under-pressure/

KPA

Reaction score
If Tampa ends up dumping Glennan before the season starts, I wouldn't mind seeing the Seahawks bring him in to be backup this year, and a possible stop gap starter once Wilson sits waiting for a contract.

Anthony!

Reaction score
bandiger":1i9mdbss said:
Anthony!":1i9mdbss said:
theincrediblesok":1i9mdbss said:

Yep cause its so easy to replace a QB thats under so much pressure like Wilson these last couple of seasons :sarcasm_on:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/27/seahawks-russell-under-pressure/

HUH :?:

Dang3Russ

Reaction score
I think it's a priority to sign Russell Wilson to a long term contract and the man desrves to get paid. It does change things, but without him as the field general, this team would be no where as good as they have been. Look back to 2011 and 2012, then 2013. It's his mindeset that is his biggest asset. When he is determined, he sets his mind to it and gets it done. This has spread to his team mates. Everyone got better once he arrived.

He is also one of the most underated QB's in the league. Even on this thread there is a lot of talk that the Seahawks could manage without him and that the defence is there. Players do get older and with age, degression of their strength, speed, and skills happens. Our defence won't always be our strong point.

It's true, Russell Wilson hasn't had to make those dangerous deep throws too often, but when he does he is on target. He has a cannon for an arm, one of the best if not the best running QB's in the league. He has good vision of the field and makes few mistakes.

Lightning only strikes once. This is the Seahawks QB1 and this is the way it should be for the next 10+ years. He's under 30 and has been to the Super Bowl twice now in only three seasons. Just think what he can do over the next decade. I wouldn't take Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck over RW3 and I hope the Seahawks get this deal done. Their is not one QB out there next year that can replace RW3.

Russell Wilson is the franchise and we can build a team around him. QB's are highly valued because they are the center block, hence why someone like Tannehill is getting 19.5 million a season. Seattle just needs to pay the guy and JS needs to figure out the dollars after. Everyone on the Seahawks is replaceable except for Wilson.

Go Hawks!!!