What QB do you want in the draft next year?

CPHawk

Reaction score
If Tyler Van Dyke can keep doing what he did last season with Miami, I don't think there's anyone else I'd rather take. IMO, he appears to be the most NFL-ready QB out of all the names being thrown out there for '23.
He won’t. Hate to break it to Miami fans, but Mario will kill any passing game. Only Mario could hold Herbert back.

But at this rate LB will be as big a need as QB. Hopefully Denver sucks, so we can get Simpson or Sewell.

Rat

Reaction score
Not to be unfair to OSU QBs but, OSU is known for cranking out NFL caliber players at other positions such as WR. Strong receiver corps can obviously make a QB look a lot better than he actually is. This isn’t always the case of course. Sometimes you actually have NFL caliber guys at multiple positions. Likewise, good QBs can make receivers look better than they are as well.

I know that’s a biased approach and doesn’t fit every scenario. I’m from Ohio, live here now, and have been an OSU fan forever. My opinion isn’t due to some type of hatred for big schools. But, when you see a guy like Fields stinking it up…or Hurts (who actually isn’t that bad but hasn’t come close to the hype surrounding him in college), it makes you hesitant.

I just don’t have a good gut feeling about the guys being touted as the top two QBs this year.

I see our draft position working in our favor. Perhaps we won’t even have to “worry” about Shroud or Young and we can snatch whoever we’ve been eyeballing (maybe Levis??).
I really thought Dwayne Haskins was going to break the Buckeye QB NFL curse. He was phenomenally accurate, and that usually translates well. It turned out that he was a bit less mature than I realized.

Fields got drafted into an awful situation; Chicago is where QBs got to die. Talent is there though, but I'm concerned his team is just not going to give him weapons.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is swimming against the tide to pick an Ohio State QB early. You might be successful but the odds are you won't be. Not sure why. Ohio State guys rarely pan out.

I think it is because Ohio State is good, so their QB gets highlighted when they wouldn't be on a lesser team.
So they get more people trying to draft Ohio State QBs. I also think it is because the Ohio State teams are usually dominant enough you rarely see their QBs tested.
But it might be black magic voodoo. Ohio State QBs rarely work out. If ever.
There was no way I thought Haskins would break that streak. Never saw anything from Fields to show me that would be different. Nor do I think Stroud will.

Fade

Reaction score
There's a helluva lot of difference between saying Pete isn't a QB whisperer and insisting he's going to ruin any new QB he gets.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It is swimming against the tide to pick an Ohio State QB early. You might be successful but the odds are you won't be. Not sure why. Ohio State guys rarely pan out.

I think it is because Ohio State is good, so their QB gets highlighted when they wouldn't be on a lesser team.
So they get more people trying to draft Ohio State QBs. I also think it is because the Ohio State teams are usually dominant enough you rarely see their QBs tested.
But it might be black magic voodoo. Ohio State QBs rarely work out. If ever.
There was no way I thought Haskins would break that streak. Never saw anything from Fields to show me that would be different. Nor do I think Stroud will.
Same can also be said of Bama QBs.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yeah I agree CP.

You could argue that as things adjust, Alabama is going to get more of its share of the top players in the country. So you might have a few winners sneak in. But it will be near impossible to litmus test them.
How a QB deals with adversity or pressure directly predicts success. We did an analytics model years ago, on what separates a Montana from that #1 QB from Oregon, from someone like a Brunell (it was a while ago). The was FOR an NFL team. The #1 factor that determined success of a QB, over all others? Was comebacks over ranked teams in the 4th quarter.

Obviously, it has been over a decade, things change. But I am betting that factor is still relevant.

People forget, the most important strength of Wilson was not his long ball - but his tendency to get better under pressure. That is not a common attribute. One of the hardest to find. It is the reason guys like Tiger Woods made their putts and other guys missed easy ones. The reason stars hit clutch free throws and other guys misses turn into something else (looking at you Shawn Kemp).

Guys that can tune out their own emotions and somehow not get impacted by the crazy burst of adrenaline that screws up your accuracy? Those guys usually are usually (not always but usually) the big drivers of success.

And those Alabama teams are so dominant, so talented at every level, you can never tell how well they do when under pressure. Same problem with drafting Clemson QBs when they were good (for 8 min).

If the QB is driving those wins? Maybe. If the system is driving those wins? Then you are just drafting Ohio State QBs.

You could say the same for Burrows, but then if you watched those games - you would see he dragged those LSU teams kicking and screaming to wins. He would not let them lose. It was clear Burrows would be great. I wasn't sold on Trevor Lawrence, but you never know. He could be better later, but that thing where QBs will their team to victory when they are under the gun? Montana had it, Wilson has it, Peyton had it, most of the decade-long winner guys had it. Aaron Rodgers certainly had it. So did Brett Favre and Steve Young.

Getting a QB from a dominant team is a crapshoot because in college, it isn't all about the QB like the NFL. Roster strength matters. Depth really matters. Big-name teams win based on depth/roster strength.
You can try to use big games as a test but then look at sample sizes of 1, 2, or 3 games. Not near enough to know.

I could be wrong about Bryce Young. Haven't seen as much of him. But in what I have seen, he wasn't really tested. So we are back at a 1 in 3 change IF we get the #1 pick IN THE RIGHT YEAR.

It isn't good enough to be terrible. You need to be both terrible and lucky.

GemCity

Reaction score
I really thought Dwayne Haskins was going to break the Buckeye QB NFL curse. He was phenomenally accurate, and that usually translates well. It turned out that he was a bit less mature than I realized.
Fields got drafted into an awful situation; Chicago is where QBs got to die. Talent is there though, but I'm concerned his team is just not going to give him weapons.
I thought Haskins was going to break the curse as well. I also agree with the take on Fields. It’s hard to paint an accurate picture when the guys are put in those situations.
But, the stigma does exist. Maybe next year it changes?

TreeRon

Reaction score
Gotta wait 'til December. There is a whole season of college football that has to be played first. Things change, new players emerge, some players fail to progress, guys get injured. Stay patient, scout NFL in the meantime. December/January is when to extensively break down the draftable QB cutups and see what is available.

Pete has to go first, or he will ruin the new QB coming in. Pete is no QB whisperer.
Doesn't matter whoever we pick is a crap shoot.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think Brennan Armstrong, Virginia would be a good fit for the Seahawks. Looks to be very accurate and throws catchable balls. Additionally, looks to very mobile and can run if he has to.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.

It just dawned on me that the young man Haskins is no longer with us! I had forgotten all about him dying. Him and a bunch of others. 🙃