Where do we get a REAL TE?????

White Devil

Reaction score
SeatownJay":7xgar839 said:
I'm not ready to give up on Luke Willson yet.

I'm not either. Luke is more of what we should have been getting out of McCoy the last 2 seasons. He's getting better and has potential to be a solid receiving TE. O'Leary has the potential to be an every down TE though. Dude can catch and run people over...but is a solid blocker to boot.

And for the people defending Zach, there's not a bigger fan of him than me. He's a warrior and I love him being on the team. The reality is that he may be a cap casualty. If not, then please keep him on the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":z0bqptn4 said:
I'm not ready to give up on Luke Willson yet.

No one is, but he's not a #1 TE in this offense IMO.

He's developing into a fantastic passing down TE, but he's getting destroyed in the run game and isn't as consistent pass catching as you'd like a #1 TE to be.

If losing Miller taught us anything this year it's that we need a bigger nastier more dependable #1 TE that is a good pass catcher AND a good run blocker.

HawkEye

Reaction score
We need to get a REAL OFFENSIVE LINE, so we don't need to use our TE's to block all the time. We've had good TE's...it's how we use them that bothers me.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
HawkEye":236ewozx said:
We need to get a REAL OFFENSIVE LINE, so we don't need to use our TE's to block all the time. We've had good TE's...it's how we use them that bothers me.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks. I've been saying the same thing. Even if we had Gronk, he would be at the line blocking and not down the field catching the ball. Our Oline is a joke. Most of the time they can't block for Russell...when they do, our WRS can't get open...

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I think Vernon Davis would be an ideal signing if/when 49ers cut him.

1. Arguably the best blocking TE in the NFL.
2. Super athletic and very good at pass catching (it just so happens he isn't asked to do this as much any more).
3. Veteran who could be looking to get a ring and hopefully come at a discount.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1qyxpkds said:
HawkEye":1qyxpkds said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks. I've been saying the same thing. Even if we had Gronk, he would be at the line blocking and not down the field catching the ball. Our Oline is a joke. Most of the time they can't block for Russell...when they do, our WRS can't get open...

Every running team uses it's TE's to run block, so it doesn't matter if you have the 90's Cowboy's O-line, you still need a good blocking TE to run a huge portion of your run plays............and help chip and double team the bigtime pass rushers in this league.

crosfam

Reaction score
All this talk of free agents - I just don't see many new faces next year other than draft picks, draft picks from previous two years that have been hurt (redshirts), and a few veterans that come on a bargain deal because they want a shot at a ring. Then maybe two or three FA like Browner or Chris Williams that nobody has heard of.

New contracts for Wagner, Wilson, Lynch will eat up the lion's share. If we re-sign a few RFA like Kearse, sign the draft picks, and it is all gone

I am sure we will draft a TE in some round in 2015, but I bet Willson is the starter next year.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I don't think it gets much better than what we have already in Zach Miller unless you get lucky and hit on those rare special guys. When our system is only targeting the feature TE 45 to 55 times a season nobody is going to look like an offensive stud here. Gonna be interesting to see if he becomes a cap casualty.

crosfam

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":ymhfcpja said:
You mean Chris Matthews?
Yes, sorry. Goes to show you how we pull quality FA in from obscurity. I don't think we need to throw money at big name FA.

DJrmb

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3knquezh said:
I think Vernon Davis would be an ideal signing if/when 49ers cut him.

1. Arguably the best blocking TE in the NFL.
2. Super athletic and very good at pass catching (it just so happens he isn't asked to do this as much any more).
3. Veteran who could be looking to get a ring and hopefully come at a discount.

Davis had a really bad year and that after holding out...

However I didn't realize he's been such a consistently good run blocker over the years. I'd definitely kick the tires if he does indeed get his release. Heck, he might sign cheap with Seattle just to not have to take hits from Kam! :lol:

DJrmb

Reaction score
James Casey just got his release from the Eagles. I would definitely look at him as a possible cheap option for a few years.

Hyak

Reaction score
Thomas makes me nervous but there's no question he has some special skills that most TE's don't have. He does seem soft to me though.

cacksman

Reaction score
Thomas is looking like a legit possibility, He's not an in-line TE like Miller is. More of a hybrid like Jimmy Graham. His blocking is NOT the huge deal 95% of this board are making it out to be.

The majority of the TDs he scores, he's lined out wide. Peyton's numbers dropped off a CLIFF when Thomas got injured after week 9.

I also don't see him signing for any team for the $9 million/year that is rumored. Thomas' dad did an interview saying he declined the DEN offer because it had no guarantees.

Just saying, don't be surprised if and when Thomas is flying up to Seattle for a visit.

Threedee

Reaction score
Miller is coveted as a blocker, which is what you want first. We should prioritize elite WR over TE, because what we have at TE already does what Carroll wants. We still haven't seen Willson's ceiling yet as a pass catcher.

Latest posts