Who is the best player on the Seahawks defense

Who is the best defender on the Seahawks?

• Richard Sherman

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Bobby Wagner

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Kam Chancellor

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters

Pak-Man12

Reaction score
In terms of raw talent and playing ability, it's an impossible question to answer really. They're all great, they all have their moments of brilliance, they've all been on highlight reels. But if you factor in leadership, Earl Thomas wins.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is the most important player but Richard Sherman may be just as good, if not better, at what he does specifically.

Smellyman

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":s0xo6y23 said:
Earl Thomas is the most important player but Richard Sherman may be just as good, if not better, at what he does specifically.

Throw Kam in there too. Best FS, Best SS and best CB in the game in the same backfield is phenomenal.

Case could be made for Bobby as best MLB. Panthers have a good one in Luke and will scoff, but Bobby makes playes at the LoS not 5 yards downfield.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I can't tell you who is 'best' between ET, Wagz, Kam and Sherm. 'Most important' is clearer to me. Our defense became ordinary in many aspects without Bobby and Kam, but I shudder to think what would happen without Earl. We all appreciate how he shuts down all seem and post plays, but I've lost count of how many runs were headed to the house if not for him. It's like oh no, he's gone, but in flashes Earl for the stop.

Rocket

Reaction score
I dearly love how arguably the best cornerback in the league comes in FOURTH in voting.

We got us somethin' special, campers.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I vote Earl. Was watching Wagner videos from a fieldgulls article and one of the videos that's meant to highlight Bobby Wagner's awesomeness really brings light to how damn good Earl is too... Guy assesses a play so quickly and gets to the ball in a hurry.

https://vid.me/rcCW

Look at where Bobby and Earl start on the play yet they arrive at the receiver almost simultaneously.

video is from this article:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... l-playoffs

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I couldn't possibly answer this, but I will say that when I'm scouting players to draft, your highest ceiling players are what I like to call "scheme diverse."

Now scheme diverse doesn't exactly say who has the most impact on this particular defense, but it could tell you who the best overall player is based on how many positions they could play even in a different schemes of defenses. Who can play in a standard 4-3 or even an Over? Who could play in a 3-4? Cover 2 heavy? Single high press man? 2 deep man?

And again, you're still stuck with choosing between Wags, Kam, Sherm, and ET. A good case could be made for any of them.

Could Wags play any of the LBs spots? Fairly easily, yes.
Could Kam play FS and/or cover a slot? The SB and loads of other games where he's deep say yes.
Could ET play SS and or cover a slot? Many games absolutely say yes whether they are robber or other coverages although I'd wonder about durability.
Can Sherm play on both sides of the field in man or in zone? Has done so this year, yes.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about a luxury like this.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
The funny thing is you could argue that Sherm, Kam and Thomas are all THE #1 guy at their positions in the entire NFL and Wagner is easily top 5 at LB. That is crazy to have 4 guys at the tops of their position on the same D.

You could also argue, at least last year, Maxwell was a top 10 corner too. He was #2 in opposing QB rating only behind Sherm and made a ton of plays down the stretch.

Then we have Bennett who gets insane pressure and has a huge impact on the line. Not sure where he would rank in the NFL but hes also got to be up there.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
To comment on any leadership ability, I think the fans look for that more than players do, being a much higher percentage of alpha personalities in the NFL. Leadership applies more to experience, which generally lends to veterans. Many teams have a need for it in a certain, specific quantity, but it very much does'nt apply here. These guys are peers and if you don't believe me I think you've entirely missed the weekly emphasis on playing for one another. It's why it's special and why they're doing things that haven't been done since 71.

Sent from phone..

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I picked Earl but Bobby gets in there in a close 2nd. Both of these guys are in on so many plays its unbelievable and not just that, they impact each play. They don't pad stats and aren't just there to make the numbers everyone wants to see. They are bringing speed, fundamentals, technique, explosiveness, power, consistency and HEART every play.

I love Kam but he lacks speed and I love Richard but he lacks power. 9/10 for both those guys but Bobby and Earl are 10/10. Perfect performers.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1k9t4gjh said:
I picked Earl but Bobby gets in there in a close 2nd. Both of these guys are in on so many plays its unbelievable and not just that, they impact each play. They don't pad stats and aren't just there to make the numbers everyone wants to see. They are bringing speed, fundamentals, technique, explosiveness, power, consistency and HEART every play.

I love Kam but he lacks speed and I love Richard but he lacks power. 9/10 for both those guys but Bobby and Earl are 10/10. Perfect performers.
Earl is very much lacking in size and isn't the most powerful. His durability and thus effectiveness should change if he had to play up more among the big boys. Kam's proven enough speed to chase down Kap or run step for step with Vernon Davis even deep, although he's not the fastest. Sherm isn't the fastest for his position either and will admit it. Irvin was calling Wagner short in a RRR one time (although I'm not sure it hurts him other than possibly vision and he did reply to Irvin by saying he had "longface") :lol:

None of them really have a weakness per se, but they aren't perfect. Physically, you could probably say that Wagner is the best combination of explosiveness and size without having to sacrifice anything, but we don't know a lot about his film study and all that either. We know all about the consistent work that those 3 from the LOB put into the mental part of that game early in the morning and latenight. They're junkies.

:twisted: advocate...

Smellyman

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3d4yw4zd said:
BlueBlood":3d4yw4zd said:

Earl is very much lacking in size and isn't the most powerful. His durability and thus effectiveness should change if he had to play up more among the big boys. Kam's proven enough speed to chase down Kap or run step for step with Vernon Davis even deep, although he's not the fastest. Sherm isn't the fastest for his position either and will admit it. Irvin was calling Wagner short in a RRR one time (although I'm not sure it hurts him other than possibly vision and he did reply to Irvin by saying he had "longface") :lol:

None of them really have a weakness per se, but they aren't perfect. Physically, you could probably say that Wagner is the best combination of explosiveness and size without having to sacrifice anything, but we don't know a lot about his film study and all that either. We know all about the consistent work that those 3 from the LOB put into the mental part of that game early in the morning and latenight. They're junkies.

:twisted: advocate...

Watching Kam run down Kap in the NFCCG was amazing. saved a TD

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We've seen Thomas come out and the defense was still good. Would have been better with him in, but still good.

We saw Bobby come out and wow, our defense took a dive. He comes back in and it visibly goes back to 2013 form.

From that moment on, I knew that our best defensive player was Bobby Wagner. For one thing, that's the QB of the defense. He gets everyone on the same page, he gets them in the right positions.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2h5oe2a9 said:
To comment on any leadership ability, I think the fans look for that more than players do, being a much higher percentage of alpha personalities in the NFL. Leadership applies more to experience, which generally lends to veterans. Many teams have a need for it in a certain, specific quantity, but it very much does'nt apply here. These guys are peers and if you don't believe me I think you've entirely missed the weekly emphasis on playing for one another. It's why it's special and why they're doing things that haven't been done since 71.

Sent from phone..

True and total collaboration is a powerful thing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm shocked at how low Sherman is. His numbers are #1 ALL TIME at his position as he just passed D-Sanders in lowest QB passer rating when targeted. He is playing as well as anyone who has ever played the position. I realize Thomas is too but I've see far too many "Thomas and it isn't even close" arguments. I would argue Sherman is even better against the run than Thomas is. ET makes the splash play against the run but he also misses at times I think in part because he closes so much ground to get to places. Sherman rarely misses a tackle and it has gone from somewhat of a weakness to maybe the best against the run CB in the league. I don't think you can go wrong with either Thomas/Sherman. I say this and Kam is my favorite player on the team.

Cartire

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2q2dmxb0 said:
We've seen Thomas come out and the defense was still good. Would have been better with him in, but still good.

We saw Bobby come out and wow, our defense took a dive. He comes back in and it visibly goes back to 2013 form.

From that moment on, I knew that our best defensive player was Bobby Wagner. For one thing, that's the QB of the defense. He gets everyone on the same page, he gets them in the right positions.

When have we seen Earl come out and th defense be just fine? Garbage time?

Also, lot of correlation going on here. And, we lost bobby other times with little impact. In fact, he went out last year and KJ was lights out at MLB and people here were wondering if a position change needed to be made.