Who the greatest Seahawk of all time?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3v3yu93w said:
Steve Largent - He played in an era where receivers didn't rack up many yards and touchdowns. He ended his career leading in most of the major receiver categories. He was passed by Jerry Rice decades later.

Walter Jones - One of the best left tackles to ever play the game. His athleticism was insane and he never got called for penalties.

Kenny Easley - Our best safety, and considered one of the two best safeties of his era. Some considered him even better than Ronnie Lott in his prime. Earl Thomas is a good safety for sure, but Easley was even better.
Can’t argue. Lott himself said Easley was better. :D

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3smatyw5 said:
In no particular order, I would have to go with Largent, Jones and Easley

Agree. But I'm going to need to get Cortez in there somehow too?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Considering I view Walter Jones as the greatest LT of all time, and LT is one of the most important TEAM positions though it doesn't get as much credit, I'd have to go with Jones.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
You gotta start with the guys in the Hall of Fame. They are in there for a reason. And of those, Walter Jones would get my vote. There's a few guys who could be in the conversation when all is said and done with their careers, but for now Walter Jones is the best in my opinion.

xray

Reaction score
largent,Jones.Easley.Alexander

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":2zfw6pby said:
I was surprised that players like, the late Dave Brown, Steve Hutchinson, Michael Robinson and Fred Young weren't mentioned.

Plus that Jerry Rice finnished his career as a Seahawk,as well as Frank Ohairris,both hall of famers.

You can't have players on this list that stunk here and had all their success elsewhere.

"Greatest" is a vague word, cause it can mean the most popular, which might not mean the best or most accomplished football player.

IMO the two greatest (BEST) all around football players to ever wear a Hawks uniform are Cortez and Walter Jones, they were two of the greatest to ever play the game at their positions, and arguably were THE greatest.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It's really kind of amazing to think about the fact the Seahawks have had arguable the best LT in the game at the time, the best DT in the game at the time, the best WR in the game at the time (okay, Rice may have eclipsed him at some point during his career). Not bad for the team in Alaska.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Seanhawk":f3tkz5h1 said:
Chawker":f3tkz5h1 said:
Plus that Jerry Rice finnished his career as a Seahawk,as well as Frank Ohairris,both hall of famers.

And? They were not great Seahawks.

Plus, technically Rice signed with both the Broncos and the 49ers after disgracing Largent's retired number on the Seahawks.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'd go:

1. Walter Jones (by a fairly wide margin)
2. Cortez Kennedy
3. Kenny Easley
4. Steve Largent.

Kennedy, Easley and Largent would all be lumped together pretty darn closely.

rjdriver

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2vzy66p3 said:
I'd go:

2. Cortez Kennedy
3. Kenny Easley
4. Steve Largent.

I’d flip flop 3 and 4, but can’t see how the first two are even debatable.

I didn’t play football, so I gravitate more toward the skill positions as a fan, but Walter Jones in his prime dominated every player that went against him. Completely dominated. Eviscerated . It didn’t matter if it was an all pro defensive player, didn’t matter what his strengths were, there were zero weaknesses to exploit when facing Walter. Walter Jones would literally make defensive pro bowlers quit during games out of frustration. I wish I would have spent more time appreciating him when he was in his prime, I took him for granted.

I think it’s cool to see people’s lists of top 5-10 because they are absolutely debatable, but the greatest Seahawk of all time simply isn’t. It’s the guy Mike Holmgren called the “greatest football player he has ever seen”

It’s Walter Jones.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rjdriver":2qil1tx9 said:
JSeahawks":2qil1tx9 said:
I'd go:

2. Cortez Kennedy
3. Kenny Easley
4. Steve Largent.

I’d flip flop 3 and 4, but can’t see how the first two are even debatable.

I didn’t play football, so I gravitate more toward the skill positions as a fan, but Walter Jones in his prime dominated every player that went against him. Completely dominated. Eviscerated . It didn’t matter if it was an all pro defensive player, didn’t matter what his strengths were, there were zero weaknesses to exploit when facing Walter. Walter Jones would literally make defensive pro bowlers quit during games out of frustration. I wish I would have spent more time appreciating him when he was in his prime, I took him for granted.

I think it’s cool to see people’s lists of top 5-10 because they are absolutely debatable, but the greatest Seahawk of all time simply isn’t. It’s the guy Mike Holmgren called the “greatest football player he has ever seen”

It’s Walter Jones.

Yeah I remember a specific interview Holmgren did when he was coaching, and he was talking about Jones.

He said he had to ask his film guys to widen their cameras when they were at the games filming because half the time Walter would push and drive his defender so far outside that it wasn't even in the shot anymore.

So when Walter and the other lineman would do their film review sessions they had a hard time even grading Walter cause, half the plays Walter and his defender weren't even on the screen.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
1. Walter Jones
2. Kenny Easley
3. Steve Largent
4. Earl Thomas
5. Marshawn Lynch
6. Kam Chancellor
7. Russell Wilson
8. Bobby Wagner
9. Richard Sherman
10. Steve Hutchinson