Who's the real OC?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":238a6gd4 said:
Gameday personnel is on Pete. There's a 46-man active roster that affects all levels of the team: defense, offense, special teams. If Richardson or Michael are inactive on game-day, then that really has very little to do with the playcaller or the O-line coach besides their input on who's ready to contribute and who isn't.

The "random substitutions" comment was a quote taken out of context. Pete literally meant that there were a number of factors that contribute to a guy sitting out one play versus another (e.g. what he had to do the play before). They are making those decisions fluidly. It doesn't follow some rigid formula or design. That's common sense. Not sure why it's being harped on.

Firstly, I disagree with your assessment of Pete's "random" comment. IMO, there's never anything "random" about what Pete says to the media. IMO, he's brilliant as using the media as a passive-aggressive, motivational, precision tool. That's an agree to disagree point.

Second, I'm not sure who's harping? Further, if you read my initial post (which you didn't) I clearly stated this was random musings. I wasn't harping or writing a thesis on global overcrowding, it was a musing on a nerdy passion of mine. Kind of what this place is all about. Not sure why you're authoritative questioning the need of the thread was necessary?

You're a good poster and I love reading you're isht. But don't come in here without understanding the premise first, then try to dismiss it second.

To Basis, I totally agree actually. Which leads me to question the investment of capitol which cant be used.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":t3x6eig2 said:
DavidSeven":t3x6eig2 said:
Gameday personnel is on Pete. There's a 46-man active roster that affects all levels of the team: defense, offense, special teams. If Richardson or Michael are inactive on game-day, then that really has very little to do with the playcaller or the O-line coach besides their input on who's ready to contribute and who isn't.

The "random substitutions" comment was a quote taken out of context. Pete literally meant that there were a number of factors that contribute to a guy sitting out one play versus another (e.g. what he had to do the play before). They are making those decisions fluidly. It doesn't follow some rigid formula or design. That's common sense. Not sure why it's being harped on.

Firstly, I disagree with your assessment of Pete's "random" comment. IMO, there's never anything "random" about what Pete says to the media. IMO, he's brilliant as using the media as a passive-aggressive, motivational, precision tool. That's an agree to disagree point.

Second, I'm not sure who's harping? Further, if you read my initial post (which you didn't) I clearly stated this was random musings. I wasn't harping or writing a thesis on global overcrowding, it was a musing on a nerdy passion of mine. Kind of what this place is all about. Not sure why you're authoritative questioning the need of the thread was necessary?

You're a good poster and I love reading you're isht. But don't come in here without understanding the premise first, then try to dismiss it second.

To Basis, I totally agree actually. Which leads me to question the investment of capitol which cant be used.

Sorry, my "harping" comment was more directed at the collective discussion of that quote (mostly from a different thread).

I definitely agree that Pete generally chooses his words very carefully (except when he's literally making things up about Rugby players), but this is one where I think people are misconstruing the message he was getting across. Namely, that the substitutions for players like Harvin, Richardson, etc. aren't necessarily charted out in advance -- but that there is still a decision-making process involved in sitting a player for any specific snap.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3u0i5jq8 said:
McDaniels is trash. Brady has been nosediving since he came back and New England's offense is #19 in DVOA. Nothing he does in New England suggests to me that he can solve the riddle of a QB who can't throw short middle or that he knows how to use a mobile QB in general.
You do realize that McDaniels was the Patriots OC from 2006 through 2008 as well, right? He was also the Patriots QB coach from 2004-2008.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Totally DS.

I guess my frustration lies with the draft picks themselves.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nnth6y4c said:
DavidSeven":nnth6y4c said:
McDaniels is trash. Brady has been nosediving since he came back and New England's offense is #19 in DVOA. Nothing he does in New England suggests to me that he can solve the riddle of a QB who can't throw short middle or that he knows how to use a mobile QB in general.
You do realize that McDaniels was the Patriots OC from 2006 through 2008 as well, right? He was also the Patriots QB coach from 2004-2008.

I do realize that. But that was a long time ago. His time in Denver started as unspectacular and ended as a trainwreck. He was offensive coordinator for an inept Rams team that went 2-14, and now he's calling plays for a New England offense that looks more inconsistent now than it has at any time since Brady took over.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
And apologies to DavidSeven if I came off snarky.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2r9qb74u said:
I do realize that. But that was a long time ago. His time in Denver started as unspectacular and ended as a trainwreck. He was offensive coordinator for an inept Rams team that went 2-14, and now he's calling plays for a New England offense that looks more inconsistent now than it has at any time since Brady took over.
I think you're misrepresenting reality, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not sure why C-Mike is being kept inactive.. but the Richardson thing is mainly because of injuries on defense and needing to activate guys that normally wouldn't be there.

I mean, yes.. I'd rather have Richardson in there for Walters.. but its apparent that they want Walters to be the PR.. and that that is more important than giving Richardson the limited action he has had so far.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":586nb8za said:
Not sure why C-Mike is being kept inactive.. but the Richardson thing is mainly because of injuries on defense and needing to activate guys that normally wouldn't be there.

I mean, yes.. I'd rather have Richardson in there for Walters.. but its apparent that they want Walters to be the PR.. and that that is more important than giving Richardson the limited action he has had so far.

Yeah, totally. Maybe this is a better question and musing when the secondary isn't so dinged up.

And we get it, you hate Russell Wilson. Give it rest, man.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ynzzncyr said:
If it were within league rules and I'm Paul Allen, I'm taking my jet to Boston and offering McDaniels a dump truck of cash to come be our OC as long as I can get Papa Pete on board with it.

Glad you're not Paul Allen then. :D

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McDaniels is not at all what Pete would go after. McDaniels loves the hurry up O, and uses the pass to open the run. Running is a changeup for him. And the ego issues he displayed in Denver give the Bates vibe.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3q1n3xrr said:
McDaniels is not at all what Pete would go after. McDaniels loves the hurry up O, and uses the pass to open the run. Running is a changeup for him. And the ego issues he displayed in Denver give the Bates vibe.

iirc, McDaniels left Pete at the alter in 2010.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
pehawk":35sc800j said:
I have no way of proving this, but I still contend Bevell was a slight panic pick (off of the McDaniels flirtation) and had they known Cable would come available, he would've been the OC.

Then why did the Seahawks give Bevell a raise to keep him when he was interviewing for Head Coaching jobs?

If he was a panic pick and they really wanted Cable, I would think they would let Bevell go and just promote Cable. It could have happened easily already, but they have proven that they value Bevell and want him as the OC.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3dqwouu3 said:
Didn't say he's the kind that Pete would pursue, I'm saying I'd like McD as our OC, is all. :)

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":2prnr05k said:

Not speaking specifically to you, but i think late round finds like Kam, Sherman, KJ Wright etc. have raised fans expectations to an unreasonable level on draft pick contributions. If your team is fairly stacked to begin with it will become increasingly difficult to have new players which immediately have an impact. And even then, Kam and Sherman weren't starters right away. But the lack of talent on the team allowed flexibility to get playing time.

Christian Michael wasn't picked until 62 on a team that went on to win a Superbowl. None of the draft picks made very much of an impact on gameday because they're on a roster that was stacked. So what fans are saying is they want us to draft players that can placate a roster talented enough to win a Superbowl?

Paul Richardson not drafted until 45 on a team that had just won a Superbowl. I just don't see the unnamed players that were available to us that would get drafted and immediately become standouts on stacked rosters. Leading up to the draft i recall many, many fans clamoring for Xavier Su'a-Filo. He isn't exactly tearing it up his rookie year. Perhaps he'll develop into an amazing player. But that is the exact situation our own drafted players are facing.

When looking at any player who lacks playing time, look who is on the depth chart ahead of them and consider why they get playing time. Then (broken record) consider just how difficult managing the 46 man roster can be.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2zl7efdj said:
Scottemojo":2zl7efdj said:

Yeah, I remember, but it was 2011 that Pete divorced himself of the no huddle offense.

Does Pete have a hangup with needing youngish offensive coordinators? Norm Chow is the only older one I can remember.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26tuu7qf said:
pehawk":26tuu7qf said:
Scottemojo":26tuu7qf said:

Yeah, I remember, but it was 2011 that Pete divorced himself of the no huddle offense.

Does Pete have a hangup with needing youngish offensive coordinators? Norm Chow is the only older one I can remember.

Aren't all OCs youngish compared to Pete? He's the second oldest head coach in the league.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think Pete has said he likes younger assistant coaches (could be wrong). (A) They match his energy at practice. (B) I think he likes guys with head coaching aspirations - they're in that "comPETE" mindset with coordinators around the league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2q7uvh8s said:
Another one of Pete's core principles is valuing special teams and treating it like 1/3 of the game. CMike and Prich are giving you little to nothing there. Walters and Lockette are giving you something meaningful.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

Pete places a much higher value on special teams than pretty much any other NFL coach. People get caught up in other considerations and lose sight of this factor. Pete never loses sight of the importance of special teams and it's always front and center in his mind. It was because of our special teams that we were in a position to win vs. Dallas despite getting our butts kicked most of the game.

Watching Baldwin block a punt (like Kearse last year) and seeing Lockette screaming down the field on punts, and seeing Seattle keep Heath Farwell on as a coach, are reflections of that value.

That said, I am surprised that CMike isn't currently a good special teams player. Almost seems like it must be more of a commitment and focus ("maturity"?) problem. Possibly the blocking and ball security concerns are a related symptom...