The REAL 'elephant in the room' (NFC West)

Marvin49

Reaction score
For Montana's first SB the 49ers had no running attack (Earl Cooper, Ricky Patton and Lenvil Elliot [Paul Hofer was tragically injured and had great talent]) which in part was why Walsh implemented the West Coast Offense (not saying he invented it); Montana's wideouts (Solomon, Clark) were decent but not great players. Also defenses could still knock the snot out of you without penalties.

?

Bill Walsh DID invent the West Coast offense. He did it in Cincinnati tho, not in SF.

Clark was a great player. He wasn't fast, but he was excellent.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
?

Bill Walsh DID invent the West Coast offense. He did it in Cincinnati tho, not in SF.

Clark was a great player. He wasn't fast, but he was excellent.
OK, you can say that. But you can also say it evolved from Sid Gillman offense as well. Assuming you're not a young earth creationist, evolutionary trees are complicated and evolution is always occurring; same with football offense and defenses.

Clark was good but a lot of his contemporaries were more complete packages, which is why he's not 'great'. Great possession WR though.

all IMO, of course.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OK, you can say that. But you can also say it evolved from Sid Gillman offense as well. Assuming you're not a young earth creationist, evolutionary trees are complicated and evolution is always occurring; same with football offense and defenses.

Clark was good but a lot of his contemporaries were more complete packages, which is why he's not 'great'. Great possession WR though.

all IMO, of course.

Everything evolves from somewhere.

The more direct evolution for Gillman is the "Air Coryell" system with is more akin to the numbers system that alot of coaches, like Norv Turner, have run.

Everyone steals from everyone in the NFL so no doubt there are elements of those systems in the Walsh WCO, but now every team runs elements of both systems.

The funny thing is that the WCO may never have happened at all if Greg Cook never gets hurt in Cincy. The WCO was kinda developed to account for not having a rocket armed, pure athlete at QB.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
Meh he's benefiting heavily from mcaffery and deebo and he can run. Imagine if PC and SW had that creativeness with Geno or Lock with Walker and Charbs .. on 90% of plays.

And yes, your 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% exaggerating in calling him the next coming of brady.
The hate and denial from Seahawk fans on this forum is very amusing.

Brock benefits from Deebo and McCaffrey? Why can't it be the other way around?

Why? is because Brock Purdy is wearing a 49er jersey and many on this page hate seeing this. So many on this website will ignore the elephant in the room if that elephant puts the 49ers in a positive light.

On this morning it seems many of the nay sayers are coming around. Brock Purdy IS the real deal. 10-0 in the regular season proves this. His passer rating proves this. His INT to TOUCHDOWN numbers proves this ect ect ect.
You might want to come around to this reality or you could just continue to sound like a typical 49er hater.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They are looking real good as much as I hate to admit it.
Avoiding Injuries might be their biggest hurdle.

That and Kyle’s annual late playoff choke game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

Why? is because Brock Purdy is wearing a 49er jersey and many on this page hate seeing this. So many on this website will ignore the elephant in the room if that elephant puts the 49ers in a positive light.

On this morning it seems many of the nay sayers are coming around. Brock Purdy IS the real deal. 10-0 in the regular season proves this. His passer rating proves this. His INT to TOUCHDOWN numbers proves this ect ect ect.
You might want to come around to this reality or you could just continue to sound like a typical 49er hater.
You’re on a rivals forum. Did you expect to be greeted with candy and flowers?

chris98251

Reaction score
Purdy, sucks that the 49ers lucked into him for everyone, he has talent, more between the ears then probably 60 percent of the other QB's starting because he has to to compete, not relying on extreme physical attributes but his guile, ability to process information and guts to hang in where others will bail. He also has a team that wants to push their abilities for him. How he matures into a leader will be the next phase. Some guys never reach that level and have the respect and ear of the rest of the offense let alone team.

Jac

Reaction score

Still, calling him the next Brady is entirely premature. Brady played in more AFC championship games than Purdy has won. Let's see if he finishes the season on the field first.

chris98251

Reaction score
He really not in style but career is more like Unitas or Kurt Warner, Unitas was 14th round pick by Steelers, cut and eventually picked up by the Colts, Warner bagging Grocery's both had a level of Moxie and determination as well as the leadership and football acumen to once allowed to play and show their strengths took off. Different skills as far as arm, release etc, but still storied players that came from the scrap heap of players to excel and become great players.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Hate to call out another 49er fan...

...but what you are actually seeing in this forum, particularly from knowledgeable posters, is Seahawks fans begrudgingly admitting that he's good...which is pretty much the best you can expect on a rival fan forum.

NINEster

Reaction score

...but what you are actually seeing in this forum, particularly from knowledgeable posters, is Seahawks fans begrudgingly admitting that he's good...which is pretty much the best you can expect on a rival fan forum.

Yes, that's true.

Just recall that not one person on .NET ever acknowledged Garoppolo as good, or even average....so by comparison you can see the difference.

There's a lot of concern surely. Imagine if Purdy was a Seahawk? I'd hate it.

Keep in mind there's maybe some slight hypocrisy here, because the prodigal child who now lives in Colorado had quite a few shared "issues" being used against him by most outsiders - size, lack of passing attempts, a stacked running game, great defense, good coaching - but they dismissed all that until he left the team. Now it's open season on the guy, LOL.

I just want the wins and the chips. If Wilson was a truly elite QB but never brought a Lombardi to Seattle, not sure the Seahawk fans would prefer that over what actually transpired.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

You have to understand, most of the Hawk fans on here are myopic football fans. They don't watch other NFL games, hell most of them are old ass dudes who probably still listen to the games on their transistor radios longing for the Pete Gross days.

I was skeptical of Purdy last year, and thought the same things as people are saying on here about the skill players around him, doesn't have to make big throws cause of the defense, just a game manager, etc.

Dudes making all the throws, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't throw picks, makes clutch throws on 3rd down. He's been very impressive this season, and should be in the conversation of MVP.

Believe me, I hate myself for even typing that last paragraph. Make me want to puke.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
You have to understand, most of the Hawk fans on here are myopic football fans. They don't watch other NFL games, hell most of them are old ass dudes who probably still listen to the games on their transistor radios longing for the Pete Gross days.

I was skeptical of Purdy last year, and thought the same things as people are saying on here about the skill players around him, doesn't have to make big throws cause of the defense, just a game manager, etc.

Dudes making all the throws, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't throw picks, makes clutch throws on 3rd down. He's been very impressive this season, and should be in the conversation of MVP.

Believe me, I hate myself for even typing that last paragraph. Make me want to puke.
Who the hell do you think you think you are old man? I'm a woman that lives in KCMO so by definition watch ALL the AFC under huge protest and all the good NFC teams for 10 years now.
Do you ever wonder why I demand change? For the last 10 years all the top quarterbacks beyond Hurts and Purdy went to the AFC and it's still continuing. Any league that has Geno Smith in the top 5 better improve immediately.

Last edited:

NINEster

Reaction score
As far as Purdy is concerned, it's been a very nice ride for Niner fans. It's a confidence in the QB we haven't seen in 25 years, and this season he's improved for sure over last season. Watching a night and day improvement from Cowboy game 1 to 2 was eye opening.

I think a lot of Niner fans have a hesitancy to declare anything over anything QB related........already 3, maybe now 4 QBs over the last decade that didn't pan out (Smith, Kaepernick, Garoppolo, Lance).....two first rounders, and two 2nd rounders.....and the 7th round thing will always be at least something until he wins it all.

And yes some of us have been watching since Montana and Young, so we can recognize very smooth QB play.

Given the current nature of the NFL in 2023.......any Super Bowl win by Purdy catapults him to top 5-7 status if he's not there already. There's no way Kansas City or Buffalo loses if he's not good enough. This was made painfully clear in KC's last two Super Bowl wins...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As far as Purdy is concerned, it's been a very nice ride for Niner fans. It's a confidence in the QB we haven't seen in 25 years, and this season he's improved for sure over last season. Watching a night and day improvement from Cowboy game 1 to 2 was eye opening.

I think a lot of Niner fans have a hesitancy to declare anything over anything QB related........already 3, maybe now 4 QBs over the last decade that didn't pan out (Smith, Kaepernick, Garoppolo, Lance).....two first rounders, and two 2nd rounders.....and the 7th round thing will always be at least something until he wins it all.

And yes some of us have been watching since Montana and Young, so we can recognize very smooth QB play.

Given the current nature of the NFL in 2023.......any Super Bowl win by Purdy catapults him to top 5-7 status if he's not there already. There's no way Kansas City or Buffalo loses if he's not good enough. This was made painfully clear in KC's last two Super Bowl wins...
His strength is his processing it's similar to Brady he knows everything presnap and has a lightning quick release but he isn't anywhere near Mahomes, Allen, Burrow or the Jacksonville quarterback. Anyone hoping to beat SF healthy needs a top tier DL. That's why Philadelphia isn't too worried yet. Also why at best 11-6 but more likely 10-7/9-8 we are solidly 2nd tier guys I'm sorry..

Last edited:

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

I think Purdy is the real deal. Therefore, I am knowledgeable. Therefore, my post is unassailable. And I'm sorry for you folks who don't think Purdy is the real deal, by Marvin's definition you are not knowledgeable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Who the hell do you think you think you are old man? I'm a woman that lives in KCMO so by definition watch ALL the AFC under huge protest and all the good NFC teams for 10 years now.
Do you ever wonder why I demand change? For the last 10 years all the top quarterbacks beyond Hurts and Purdy went to the AFC and it's still continuing. Any league that has Geno Smith in the top 5 better improve immediately.

I just assume you demand change because you're not knowledgeable of Seahawk history nor know how hard it is to find a GM and coach like John and Pete, and are naive to think it'd be better under a different regime.

So I'll let you in on something, it'll NEVER be this good again. You haters can't see the forest through the trees, this era of Hawk football under Pete and John with the SB's, playoff appearances and top 3-4 winningest teams and organizations in the entire league for going on 12 years now is unprecedented, and will probably never happen again.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think Purdy is the real deal. Therefore, I am knowledgeable. Therefore, my post is unassailable. And I'm sorry for you folks who don't think Purdy is the real deal, by Marvin's definition you are not knowledgeable.
I'm knowledgeable and I know things run in cycles. I'm accepting it's your year but be careful.....

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just assume you demand change because you're not knowledgeable of Seahawk history nor know how hard it is to find a GM and coach like John and Pete, and are naive to think it'd be better under a different regime.

So I'll let you in on something, it'll NEVER be this good again. You haters can't see the forest through the trees, this era of Hawk football under Pete and John with the SB's, playoff appearances and top 3-4 winningest teams and organizations in the entire league for going on 12 years now is unprecedented, and will probably never happen again.
**** that loser mentality it can ALWAYS be better check out the 49ers. The NFL always runs in cycles right now it's all about the AFC. And please for all that is sane stop thinking Pete and John can't be replaced immediately by people far better.

You sir literally piss me off I have been a Seahawks fan since 1976 and know they were NEVER supposed to be in the AFC but for a backroom bullshit deal when expansion came in and they only agreed because they were promised to NEVER be moved from the NFCW again after (which is their original home btw).

Last edited: