Why do we care about Russ anymore?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
While I agree with you that in the grand scheme of things sports are relatively unimportant, I disagree that Russ in particular hasn't hurt anyone else. His arrogance and greed led him to push for and get a quarter billion dollar deal, and then didn't play anywhere near the level he needed to in order to justify that contract. People on the Broncos lost their jobs because of it.
But not George Paton, somehow.

AVL

Reaction score
What? Wilson has always had plenty of haters everywhere he's been except Wisconsin, where he was damn near perfect. Here was no exception, they just didn't troll as hard since he was on their team.

RiverDog

Reaction score
While I agree with you that in the grand scheme of things sports are relatively unimportant, I disagree that Russ in particular hasn't hurt anyone else. His arrogance and greed led him to push for and get a quarter billion dollar deal, and then didn't play anywhere near the level he needed to in order to justify that contract. People on the Broncos lost their jobs because of it.
If you're referring to Nathanial Hackett and his staff, they all know and have accepted the fact that there's a high turnover in their chosen occupation and that events beyond their control could cause them to lose their jobs. It happens all the time in the NFL. It's not analogous to other situations in the business world where someone's bad investment decisions might cause the company to go bankrupt and 30-year employees lose their jobs.

I understand the strong emotional dislike and lack of respect for Russell Wilson, and in many regards, I'm right there with them. But there are times when some posters really go off the deep end with their irrational hate of the man to the point where it affects their otherwise good judgement of a person's character.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
@AROS, I think it’s that Russ is an unending bounty of intrigue thats long Progressed from merely being a hawks fan. Sportswriters from Seattle, Denver and now Pittsburgh cover every move, along with every other team that week that wants to deny him a cpoy story. The national media will just repackage and sell that for further interest.

Then there’s the whole Russ-Ciara-family aspect. The weird daddy daughter dances, inserting his stepson for Custom meet and greets at all star games, the intrigue over how long Ciara is gonna look like a latex stuffed sausage Being that she’s gained 65 pounds.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score

...kind of early for local media to be calling him out. That took a few months, a monster truck and dozens of bathrooms in Denver. Joking aside, interesting take on new OCs system and how it plays to RCWs weaknesses.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If you're bitter about the Sonics being ripped from Seattle, then you're probably bitter about Me3.

If you're bitter about ARod leaving the Mariners and going to Texas, then you're probably bitter about Me3.

Me?... I'm bitter about all three.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If you're referring to Nathanial Hackett and his staff, they all know and have accepted the fact that there's a high turnover in their chosen occupation and that events beyond their control could cause them to lose their jobs. It happens all the time in the NFL. It's not analogous to other situations in the business world where someone's bad investment decisions might cause the company to go bankrupt and 30-year employees lose their jobs.

I understand the strong emotional dislike and lack of respect for Russell Wilson, and in many regards, I'm right there with them. But there are times when some posters really go off the deep end with their irrational hate of the man to the point where it affects their otherwise good judgement of a person's character.
Not Nathanial Hackett as much as guys like Justin Simmons. He'd still be on his contract with the Broncos, but because of Russ, they cut him, and now he's a free agent amidst a sea of free agent safeties. His market value, in this market, likely took a big dive.

Though to your point, Nathanial Hackett would probably still have a job as coach of the Broncos if Wilson had played up to his contract.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The difference between Russ flaming out or getting another contract is the same as 8-9 or worse or 10-7 or better.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not Nathanial Hackett as much as guys like Justin Simmons. He'd still be on his contract with the Broncos, but because of Russ, they cut him, and now he's a free agent amidst a sea of free agent safeties. His market value, in this market, likely took a big dive.

Though to your point, Nathanial Hackett would probably still have a job as coach of the Broncos if Wilson had played up to his contract.
Boy, that's a reach, suggesting someone that got cut due to salary cap restraints lost his job because of Russell. You could make the same argument about Will Dissly, that he got cut because of Jamal Adams, but you never hear anyone make that association with Adams. Besides, Russell wasn't the one that was responsible for that contract, at least not exclusively. George Paton was the idiot that signed on the bottom line, so why not mention him?

And as I said earlier, we're not talking about some low-level worker that lost their job because a bank executive made a bad business decision and the janitor got laid off because they responded by cutting their operating budget. These are multimillion dollar professional athletes that move from team to team as if they're a traveling circus. Zero sympathy here.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Honest question. I am intrigued by the amount of attention he still gets to this very day.

It's a come to Jesus question. Why do you care about him anymore?
Honestly with him going to the Stealers with his tail between his legs?

Closed the chapter for me. Don't care one little bit any more. The story is done :)

We've used the draft picks, the story isn't' even interesting at this point. He's not gonna make a splashy debut in a monster truck or any of the other delusional crap he did when launching with the Donks - so there's not even entertainment value in it anymore. Circle of life.

The only time I'm gonna give a shit about Me3 anymore is hoping he loses if/when we play him, and that's it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If you're bitter about the Sonics being ripped from Seattle, then you're probably bitter about Me3.

If you're bitter about ARod leaving the Mariners and going to Texas, then you're probably bitter about Me3.

Me?... I'm bitter about all three.
Not a good comparison. The Sonics leaving had a much longer lasting effect than did any athlete that leaves or is traded. We've been without NBA basketball for 16 years. That's not the same as an A-Rod, Hutch, or Russell leaving for another team. Hell, A-Rod and Russell left and their teams got better.

It wasn't the fact that A-Rod left, it was the way he left, telling everyone that it wasn't all about money, that he wanted to play on a contender, which the M's were at that time, then goes and signs a record-breaking contract with a last place team. He lied to his fans.

A very similar situation existed with Russell, except that I was actually glad when that deal came down as it was clear that his skills had diminished, and it was apparent that he wasn't going to sign another contract with us anyway. I had been off his bandwagon for several years prior to the trade. So no, I wasn't bitter. I lost respect for him because he lied.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Honestly with him going to the Stealers with his tail between his legs?

Closed the chapter for me. Don't care one little bit any more. The story is done :)

We've used the draft picks, the story isn't' even interesting at this point. He's not gonna make a splashy debut in a monster truck or any of the other delusional crap he did when launching with the Donks - so there's not even entertainment value in it anymore. Circle of life.

The only time I'm gonna give a shit about Me3 anymore is hoping he loses if/when we play him, and that's it.
I feel a bit differently. Like you, I don't care if Russell wins or loses, except I do have to confess to this residual "it serves him right" sentiment that makes me crack a bit of a smile when he loses or plays poorly.

But the story is extremely fascinating, at least for me. To have someone that was borderline HOF and promoted himself as if he was some sort of superhero only to fall flat on his face in his first season, lost his job to a journeyman in his second year, then kicked to the curb by the coach he once yearned playing for. I can't think of any similar drama in all of sports, at least not recently.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Boy, that's a reach, suggesting someone that got cut due to salary cap restraints lost his job because of Russell. You could make the same argument about Will Dissly, that he got cut because of Jamal Adams, but you never hear anyone make that association with Adams. Besides, Russell wasn't the one that was responsible for that contract, at least not exclusively. George Paton was the idiot that signed on the bottom line, so why not mention him?
Man, you got that right.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

And as I said earlier, we're not talking about some low-level worker that lost their job because a bank executive made a bad business decision and the janitor got laid off because they responded by cutting their operating budget. These are multimillion dollar professional athletes that move from team to team as if they're a traveling circus. Zero sympathy here.

With a 53m cap hit for 2024 alone, I’m surprised that they didn’t release more guys.

chrispy

Reaction score
More drama... Anyone know when the last time a QB on a Vet-minimum contract started as QB1?

When do we find out which team is on HardKnocks this season? I'm not sure I could stand watching him, but if I was Goodell I might force the Steelers on TV.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
More drama... Anyone know when the last time a QB on a Vet-minimum contract started as QB1?

When do we find out which team is on HardKnocks this season? I'm not sure I could stand watching him, but if I was Goodell I might force the Steelers on TV.

An eligible team cannot have made the playoffs last year (or the year before.)

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It could be the Broncos.

We'll be able to watch Sean Payton yell at his players on the sideline.