Will we go after Ramsey?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":1c4zhv1e said:
aawolf":1c4zhv1e said:
If we wanted to pay ridiculous record-setting money for someone in the secondary, we could have and should have paid ET. There is no way Ramsey is even worth ONE first round pick if we can't keep him next year when we probably would have to pay him to extend his contract, as next year would be the last on his rookie deal.

Also, after this year Ramsey has a 5th year option and franchise tag options.

I think Jacksonville's already picked up his 5th year option.......which may be part of the problem. Ramsey's going to want his contract ripped up and a new max deal next off season.

I love the way Ramsey plays, and IMO he'd fit in just fine here, tantrums and all. But not only is his trade price too much, his extension demands next year will also be too expensive. Just not a good deal for me, and my guess is for John and Pete, they like to find value in trades, they don't like over paying.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Ramsey is top tier NFL talent. Even if Griffin and Flower continue to get better they are not likely to be elite. Many people felt Ramsey was the best player in his draft year. What is an elite CB worth in this league? In 4 week when Reed comes back DB will be the weakest link on our defense. Adding a player of Ramsey's caliber would really vault us towards the top. I think Griffin has the speed and quickness to play nickle. Or Flowers could play big nickle. If Pete can make us a Top 3 Defensive team and a deep playoff push with Ramsey, then 2 late 1sts is not bad compensation. We have to remember Clowney was a steal. There are only so many elite players.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ektpfx1 said:
I love the way Ramsey plays, and IMO he'd fit in just fine here, tantrums and all.

Seems to me that as Pete has aged, he has a harder time putting up with "tantrums".

James in PA

Reaction score
Oh, now there’s a report today that the Jags owner loves Ramsey and is willing to make him the top paid corner. Gee, that’s not a tactic to drive up his price in a trade. “Please Jags, ok, we’ll give you those 2 first round picks! “

Get the hell outta here with that weak sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1vcdihpn said:
Sgt. Largent":1vcdihpn said:
I love the way Ramsey plays, and IMO he'd fit in just fine here, tantrums and all.

Seems to me that as Pete has aged, he has a harder time putting up with "tantrums".

Ramsey was fine until last year when the Jags picked up his option, then all of a sudden he started acting out.

So me thinks this has very little to do with winning, and more about him wanting a new deal...........just like Earl. All is good until these guys are told no or something happens they don't like, then the tantrums begin.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2a0v1x2b said:
Shanegotyou11":2a0v1x2b said:
Seanhawk":2a0v1x2b said:
iigakusei":2a0v1x2b said:
Would they take Penny and Collier as the 2 1sts? :)

How is Ifedi not one of the choices?

Better get rid of 3 lineman before him then. His pass pro grade was way better then 3 of the 4 other lineman

You're right, Ifedi has been historically good. Jeez man, just following a joke post with another.

He is right on par with most 3 year starters at tackle. He has more flags then some but less sacks then most. You know who was way worse then him and Texan fans cried like hawk fans do on ifedi?

Yea Duane Brown. He was worse then ifedi. You know who else struggled was Tyron smith who is a all pro for dallas now. These are just a couple names to let people understand this.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
The fact that they didn't give up a 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick at a position where we have a much greater need, I don't think this transpires man.

We have never spent a higher pick then a 3rd on CB. Giving up a potential 2? and a huge contract? I'd be pissed. We don't need him.

I much rather save that money for Clowney and Reed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":3fyv0ktn said:
The fact that they didn't give up a 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick at a position where we have a much greater need, I don't think this transpires man.

We have never spent a higher pick then a 3rd on CB. Giving up a potential 2? and a huge contract? I'd be pissed. We don't need him.

I much rather save that money for Clowney and Reed.

We were giving up a 1st for Minkah, it just wasn't as good as Pittsburgh's 1st, who everyone assumes is going to be a top 10 pick next year, as opposed to our more than likely bottom of the 1st.

So it's not just the giving up of the 1st, of course any team is going to trade a player like Fitzpatrick or now Ramsey to a bad team over a good team when it comes to draft positions over the next 1-2 years.

chris98251

Reaction score
After last night and seeing him say up front I don't want any questions about a trade and how he was supporting his D line and how great they were and that the reporters should talk to them and give them some air time I think this is going to go away.

Jags will just say they didn't get an offer they liked and done deal.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":vom783m4 said:
Seanhawk":vom783m4 said:
Shanegotyou11":vom783m4 said:
Seanhawk":vom783m4 said:
How is Ifedi not one of the choices?

Better get rid of 3 lineman before him then. His pass pro grade was way better then 3 of the 4 other lineman

You're right, Ifedi has been historically good. Jeez man, just following a joke post with another.

He is right on par with most 3 year starters at tackle. He has more flags then some but less sacks then most. You know who was way worse then him and Texan fans cried like hawk fans do on ifedi?

Yea Duane Brown. He was worse then ifedi. You know who else struggled was Tyron smith who is a all pro for dallas now. These are just a couple names to let people understand this.

So the smart thing to do would be to lock him up for the next 6 years on a team friendly deal?

AgentDib

Reaction score
The issue to me is one of overall roster strategy. We've seen first hand that you can't pay everybody under a salary cap, and when we had to pay the LOB the biggest casualty was our offensive line. We fell from #1 to #32 in OL spending and it blew up in our face in 2016-2017 when our already budget OL was hit with multiple injuries.

The value we are currently getting from our budget secondary is the main reason why we can afford the rest of our current team. Pete has a great history here of developing secondary players with limited resources, and if we give up multiple high picks for Ramsey and then also pay him what he is worth for a long-term contract that's going to have an unavoidable negative impact on our other positions. The talk about lots of cap space in 2020 is deceptive because only half of the team is under contract.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Our CB's are not that bad and their young. They'll keep learning. By week 7 this D has a chance to be a monster as long as we stay healthy on the Dline. We'll be getting Reed back and the young guys will have 6 more weeks of experience.

I can see a Dline of Ziggy, Jedaveon, Poona and Collier putting enough pressure on QB's, allowing our LB's to drop back into coverage, not blitzing too much, will make it so our CB's don't have to cover too long.

I think our weakest area, or an unknown for me is our nickel cover guy. Jamar Talyor seemed to do well, but also needs more time to learn the system.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":26j8628o said:
The issue to me is one of overall roster strategy. We've seen first hand that you can't pay everybody under a salary cap, and when we had to pay the LOB the biggest casualty was our offensive line. We fell from #1 to #32 in OL spending and it blew up in our face in 2016-2017 when our already budget OL was hit with multiple injuries.

The value we are currently getting from our budget secondary is the main reason why we can afford the rest of our current team. Pete has a great history here of developing secondary players with limited resources, and if we give up multiple high picks for Ramsey and then also pay him what he is worth for a long-term contract that's going to have an unavoidable negative impact on our other positions. The talk about lots of cap space in 2020 is deceptive because only half of the team is under contract.

True, but if Pete ever wants to get back to having HIS type of dominant defense, he needs his shut down corner that can cut the field in half to allow his thumper SS to drop down into the box and help the front seven choke the life out of the opponent's short and intermediate run/pass game.

Let's be honest, neither Flower or Griffin are that corner, and probably will never be that corner. So if we ever want to see the defense get back to some semblance of that scheme and dominance, Ramsey or a player similar to that level of CB will be needed.

Not saying to make the trade, the price is too much. But I'm also not buying that Flowers and Griffin just need more time. Three years is plenty of time to see what kind of CB you've got, and right now Griffin is a good, but not great CB, and probably never will be.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20xwn04y said:
AgentDib":20xwn04y said:

True, but if Pete ever wants to get back to having HIS type of dominant defense, he needs his shut down corner that can cut the field in half to allow his thumper SS to drop down into the box and help the front seven choke the life out of the opponent's short and intermediate run/pass game.

Let's be honest, neither Flower or Griffin are that corner, and probably will never be that corner. So if we ever want to see the defense get back to some semblance of that scheme and dominance, Ramsey or a player similar to that level of CB will be needed.

Not saying to make the trade, the price is too much. But I'm also not buying that Flowers and Griffin just need more time. Three years is plenty of time to see what kind of CB you've got, and right now Griffin is a good, but not great CB, and probably never will be.
Great points! Agree.

justafan

Reaction score
I think he is a top 10 D players in the league. He might be the best tackling CB,he isnt afraid to play run support and hit people. He is an intelligent player that does his homework,works hard to stay in shape does everything you want in a player.

Is just his mouth is a problem. Fans here loved Sherman for being the jackass, Ramsey does the same thing.

Imo he is worth the draft picks. Its just what his salary would do to the cap. Its a trade that you make if you are close to a SB team and think he might be the edge your D needs to get there.

I dont like the guy but I respect his game and think he is a missing piece to going deep in the playoffs. The window is open. I think we are that close.

warden

Reaction score
Clowney, Reed and I think Ziggy all become free agents next year. Must save cap dollars to resign them before trading for high priced CB

hawks85

Reaction score
warden":2pi5tvub said:
Clowney, Reed and I think Ziggy all become free agents next year. Must save cap dollars to resign them before trading for high priced CB
Your exactly right. Ramsey is not coming here unless someone in the front office works out a miracle.

CanuckSeaHawk

Reaction score
Rumours out of Baltimore, the Ravens offered a first and second round pick plus a DE for Ramsey. It was rejected by the Jaguars.

Latest posts