Wilson: $26m this year, 204 total yards.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think the gripe is more a result of starting the game with back to back 3 & outs. That magnifies the frustration. Time and time again they strike out on the scripted opening drive. I get frustrated over it too but I also know they have a whole game to play and they are always in the game come the 4th qtr. So it’s not as maddening to me as it is for others.

McGruff

Reaction score
bmorepunk":tb27l5ll said:
McGruff":tb27l5ll said:
I would be curious on league wide stats of 3 and outs.

I would hazard a guess that we are probably league average or better if such stats were kept.

Look here:

If the numbers are correct, the Seahawks had a 3/Out on 27.8% of their drives, which was third worst in the league last year. But the vaunted Patriots were at the middle of the pack at 20.5%. So that's a 7% difference, which means out of the 176 drives last year, 49 resulted in 3 and outs, versus 36 at the Patriots' rate. It's not nothing, but it's not the 75% three and out rate I think some people are perceiving. What's crazy is the Rams had a 10.9% rate (leaders).

If you start going through those numbers you also see that Seattle was 8th best in red zone TD percentage, but 7th in punts per drive. But then they're 8th in TDs per drive. This team was absolutely feast or famine on offense, but that's not unusual. 2017 had worse TD numbers, which is probably why last year was a little bit better.

Thanks.

So they were bad, but yes, to hear fans talk it's like we never moved the ball, yet somehow were 6th in scoring and 7th in TOP.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The slow starts are maddening no doubt. Unfortunately, this o-line will likely never be good at pass pro. That's a problem. Need to go to more of a quick passing gave once in awhile, or roll him out. Can't just let a guy sit in the pocket while the "blocking" breaks down, time and time again.

LTH

Reaction score
McGruff":24rtx1yx said:
Wilson is paid what he is paid to be the most efficient deep ball passer in the league.

70% completion
Nearly 10 yards per attempt
2 touchdowns on 20 passes
No interceptions

Wilson isn't perfect... I think we should trade him and fire shotty... while we're at it fire Carroll too... the offense sux... the season is over... :sarcasm_on:

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3tbvbxbs said:
I think the gripe is more a result of starting the game with back to back 3 & outs. That magnifies the frustration. Time and time again they strike out on the scripted opening drive. I get frustrated over it too but I also know they have a whole game to play and they are always in the game come the 4th qtr. So it’s not as maddening to me as it is for others.

IMO it's half of Pete's stubborn way of wanting to establish the run (of which the defense has obviously schemed for), and Russell needing to be in rhythm (of which it takes him a long time sometimes).

None of this will change btw, that's how Pete wants to play, and that's just how Russell's game is wired. So sorry, I don't have any good news on the slow starting front.

sutz

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3fvh0ji0 said:
I'm pretty sure they don't script the 'opening drive.' :34853_doh:

They script a list of 15-20 PLAYS, that they intend to use in the 1st Qtr, largely to figure out what is going to work and what the defense is going to do against certain personnel packages and formations. From that, they determine how to go forward in the game, like how to line up in certain formations and then run different plays from that formation to get the defense off guard.

Of course, that depends on the defense keeping the score down to a manageble level, which generally they can do.

In the 1st quarter, if you're one score down, you're essentially tied. :Dunno:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
As long as Russ continues to have these qualities

Durability
Accuracy
Good Decision Making

I am totally okay with him being one of the higher paid QBs in the league. I don't care about yards or total attempts. Efficiency is what matters.

And also it's only been one game.

Seymour

Reaction score
Re: Wilson: $26m this year, 204 total yards.

Andrew Luck: $18.4 million 0 yards 1 bag of chips and 2 jars of salsa washed down with 1 pint of tears of pain.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
I think -1 total yards of offense after 3 possessions and 11 min to go in the second quarter tends to freak people out. We battled and came back. First games have a tendency to be really weird. Let's hope that's what it was.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Fade":30gqf9x9 said:
I don't care about yards for a QB, but I do care about effectiveness of the offense in general, and what they rolled out week 1, ain't it.

Aint it, but its a W. Since this era started with Pete, many games especially early in the season yield this same result.
Week 1 the year they won it all was a 12-7 win in Carolina and they hardly looked like a super bowl team let alone winner. Its early in the season. I read so many comments like.... "If AJ Green played" or if "they played a contender" then they lose. Guess what? Not relevant. they prepared for who they played on the field and they beat them. Thats all that counts. We cant expect them to be firing on all cylinders this early. They never have

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":2vqkpzxq said:
I think -1 total yards of offense after 3 possessions and 11 min to go in the second quarter tends to freak people out. We battled and came back. First games have a tendency to be really weird. Let's hope that's what it was.

It sucked and it happens with this team a lot. Just dead in their tracks in the first quarter and half. I'd love for them to come out, move the ball, and put up points fast.

But you can put up points fast and not matter at all. I actually prefer that Carroll's way of doing things drags other teams down into a nasty crap game, even if they get a bit ahead at first. They have so rarely let games get away from them doing this; no only does it keep it close to win but it's also resulted in so few blowouts and more competitive games which are more interesting.

I remember the 2007 Seahawks going into Green Bay and going up 14-0 in the first five minutes for the divisional round. I then remember it going completely to crap and losing 42-20. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I do like that Carroll almost always keeps games in reach and has managed to have his teams come back from some really big deficits late in the game. It's really ugly sometimes, but I prefer it to up and down all season shootout/blowout craziness. :snack:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's funny how no matter what the outcome, win or lose...….a new thread about Russ pops up. Every.....single......week. Great entertainment though.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think a lot of intent gets lost in translation on these Wilson threads. I'm with many who think RW is a top 3 QB and with the possible exception of Mahomes, I wouldn't want any other QB in the league.

That being said, I think a lot of the perceived criticism of Wilson is actually appreciation for what he COULD be doing if the offense was more tailored to his strengths. I think many are saying he is BETTER than his stats, not crappy because of them. I'm not saying you give up our identity as a run first team, but if its not working or effective, tap into the RW well a little earlier and more often. I think the playoff game against Dallas last year was the ultimate example. If you are a Russell Wilson fanatic, how were you not convinced that we fatally limited the primary weapon that gave us the best chance of winning that game?

Sometimes it just feels like the offense has such an inclination to hold true to their identity, that they do so until the last minute hoping it will pan out like they wanted to, then they say "Shoot, not working, five minutes to go in the fourth, we better go to Russell." What's crazy is he usually finds a way to pull it off, which is why he is the highest paid player in the league right now. It just seems we frequently barely win games we should have dominated, and sometimes we lose games we should have won. (I know....that's the NFL and there is a lot of parity, but still).

I guess my biggest frustration is a simple philosophical difference I have with Coach Carroll. I think you CAN win games in the first, second, and third, quarter. I wish he wasn't so hell bent on needing to win them all in the 4th.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":26xxo6zr said:
Wilson is playing in an offense straight out of 1979, you can't compare his yard totals to QBs playing in a modern NFL offense.

It is an apples and oranges comparison.

Like I said what they rolled out week 1, ain't it.

Wilson finds ways to win. And If he wasn't Quarterbacking the Seahawks they would be lucky to win 5 games.

You missed the point. The point is, you don't have to throw for 400 yards in order to be a winning QB.

Sure it's different eras, and offenses are different. But the formula still works. Protect the ball, wear out opposing defenses by running the ball, and play great defense.

When talking about different eras, one can't take it so literally. But as long as offenses run the ball, and throw the ball, there will always be SOME similarities.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rjdriver":2vlm62w5 said:
I think a lot of intent gets lost in translation on these Wilson threads. I'm with many who think RW is a top 3 QB and with the possible exception of Mahomes, I wouldn't want any other QB in the league.

That being said, I think a lot of the perceived criticism of Wilson is actually appreciation for what he COULD be doing if the offense was more tailored to his strengths. I think many are saying he is BETTER than his stats, not crappy because of them. I'm not saying you give up our identity as a run first team, but if its not working or effective, tap into the RW well a little earlier and more often. I think the playoff game against Dallas last year was the ultimate example. If you are a Russell Wilson fanatic, how were you not convinced that we fatally limited the primary weapon that gave us the best chance of winning that game?

Sometimes it just feels like the offense has such an inclination to hold true to their identity, that they do so until the last minute hoping it will pan out like they wanted to, then they say "Shoot, not working, five minutes to go in the fourth, we better go to Russell." What's crazy is he usually finds a way to pull it off, which is why he is the highest paid player in the league right now. It just seems we frequently barely win games we should have dominated, and sometimes we lose games we should have won. (I know....that's the NFL and there is a lot of parity, but still).

I guess my biggest frustration is a simple philosophical difference I have with Coach Carroll. I think you CAN win games in the first, second, and third, quarter. I wish he wasn't so hell bent on needing to win them all in the 4th.

Exactly. Amazing how this goes right over so many people's heads

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m3scdvg said:
It's funny how no matter what the outcome, win or lose...….a new thread about Russ pops up. Every.....single......week. Great entertainment though.

It’s actually funny that some people can’t seem to even read the original post. LOL. Not a slam on RW but on the coaches who decided to buy a Ferrari but instead of driving it fast decides to use it fo off roading. Stupid coaches coaching stupidly.

doso

Reaction score
Wow, haven’t been back for a while. Some idiots still talking about this... Wilson is top 3 in the league. Thread closed.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Any QB that can win games behind the crappiest pass blocking in the league is worth 26 million.

This is the kind of blocking that ruined David Carr.