Wilson is ok. Nothing special

semiahmoo

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":14w3ppbe said:
Most elite quarterbacks are close to 50% in the playoffs - go ahead and look it up

The only QB with an elite winning playoff percentage is Brady at 73%

Flacco 67% (Today doesn't count)
Big Ben 62%
Wilson 61.5%
Rodgers 56%
Brees 54%
Peyton 52%
Farve 54%

It's almost too bad Russell is so durable. When Packers fans have to start Brett Hundley they realize how fortunate they are to have Aaron Rodgers. Our fans ponder if he's worth 30 million which is just silly.

We have the 3rd ranked QB in the NFL and he's only the 11th highest paid QB.

Tom Brady, the guy is amazing. 73%!!??!!!

It's like teams spot NE a touchdown come playoff time even before the coin toss.

We won't see the likes of him again for a very long time...

chris98251

Reaction score
mistaowen":25m0iw3i said:
Uncle Si":25m0iw3i said:
TwistedHusky":25m0iw3i said:
Wilson is a great QB.

He has one trait that most QBs do not have. He is great under pressure. There is never a moment that is too big for him. That is golden.

But elite QBs regularly raise the level of their play when needed most - in the playoffs. He hasn't taken that next step.

Here is the caveat - he has always been forced to play with missing pieces and subpar starters because he could adapt and produce despite them. Not consistently, but enough you could expect those issues could be overcome.

The problem is what Wilson is capable of and what he will produce here under Pete in this system with this OC (or similarly picked ones) - those are very different things.

So the Wilson we get for what we pay for vs what Wilson could be? Those seem different.

Wilson is so good at so many difficult things. But because we keep him constrained, he never really masters the in-between stuff. Part of that is just how we call our games though. Part is that rarely has he been given all the pieces most QBs depend on. (This year he had them but the game plan seemed to almost disregard him for 1/2 the game regularly).

He is special, so I disagree there. But I don't think he will ever carry this team through the playoffs because he will never get a chance to. So does it matter if he is great or merely very good - if we never take advantage of that difference or we only do so sporadically?

He might be better than he has shown, he might potentially be elite - but I don't think he will ever be Elite here, given the way they use him and how they structure to the team to try to win with him.

Fair points and i think what the board is saying, albeit in many different ways.

I hold out hope that an innovative OC could bring out RWs best attributes while remaining true to PCs conservative philosophy

Getting a creative young OC who brings college style plays would do wonders for Russ. Shame we will likely get Schotty again next year with a bigger emphasis on running

Spoken like a Fantasy fan. Where is Chip now of yeah could not handle the Pro game, Urban could not handle the Pro game and quit. So much for college.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I see the dumb is still strong among a select few. Yeah, he's nothing special. Only one of the best in the game and a future HOF QB. But no, nothing special.

thegameq

Reaction score
It's Pete Carroll. He wants Russell to play within the confines of his offensive philosophy--low risk, high reward.

We don't see Russell doing the things the other quarterbacks in the league do because Pete doesn't want him too. Listen to the various interviews and comments form the reporters who follow the team, etc. It's all Pete.

Pete took this job with one major stipulation, he would be allowed to do things his way. We are seeing that stipulation.

RCATES

Reaction score
People want to see this team just throw when the running game isn't working. Problem is that's just not Wilson's game. Otherwise they would do it. Remember this teams record when they were throwing it more early in the season? 0-2. When the run game is ineffective Wilson will struggle. He's not the type of QB that can stand in the pocket and beat you play after play without the threat of the running game to open things up. I like Wilson a lot but this is exactly why I don't consider him Elite. As a NFL QB he has too many flaws to be considered Elite.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wrong, he has won plenty of shootouts in his career. The Running game helps any QB, but he is very capable of carrying the team with the passing game. Give it up on the stupid Elite stuff, he's one of the best in the league, sorry that bothers you :roll:
I though I repeated myself a lot, you've been playing the same record since you've been here. We get it, Russ sucks. Better?

mrt144

Reaction score
RCATES":2vmwdakb said:
People want to see this team just throw when the running game isn't working. Problem is that's just not Wilson's game. Otherwise they would do it. Remember this teams record when they were throwing it more early in the season? 0-2. When the run game is ineffective Wilson will struggle. He's not the type of QB that can stand in the pocket and beat you play after play without the threat of the running game to open things up. I like Wilson a lot but this is exactly why I don't consider him Elite. As a NFL QB he has too many flaws to be considered Elite.

So basically everything you've ever opined on this boils down to the belief that if they could they would and they don't because they simply can't. At what point did they decide RW couldn't do the things you think he can't do? Have a specific inflection point?

Aren't you kinda mad everyone besides RW for hanging on to him despite you seeing him as clearly deficient?

First you have to believe the coaching staff has tried stuff with RW and it just doesn't work and then you'd have to believe that the coaching staff and front office still believes he's more than good enough to accomplish what they set out to do regardless of his limitations.

So start putting your sights on the folks that enable the sitaution - not RW, not fans, not anyone but those who will continue going down a path you don't like.

Seymour

Reaction score
King Dog":jqhwkai9 said:
Otherwise he would have led us past the Cowboys who are completely average. Be upset at this post, but hey, that's just the way it is.

Your username is obsolete....

or is it?

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2iixowai said:
Wrong, he has won plenty of shootouts in his career. The Running game helps any QB, but he is very capable of carrying the team with the passing game. Give it up on the stupid Elite stuff, he's one of the best in the league, sorry that bothers you :roll:
I though I repeated myself a lot, you've been playing the same record since you've been here. We get it, Russ sucks. Better?

I bet I invest 10x the money you do on this team every year. I also own 3x Wilson Jerseys. I'm not a Wilson hater at all. I love the kid and I'm happy we have him. At the same time I'm not blind and can except his faults as a player. Better?

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ijw71kj9 said:

He says he likes RW...but clearly has bones to pick squarely puts it on RW to sink or swim.

Nevermind both Nagy and McVay seemingly coaxed good to great performances out of their QBs without diminishment to their running games...

Also, pray tell, what value has Schotty ever imparted on his QBs? Show me an example of his offenses ever performing above their parts especially QB and WR. He hasnt. RW played thr best any QB ever has under Schotty...

If after 7 years all you can impart is RW isnt the guy, then youre stuck and nothing we can say will help you.

Seymour

Reaction score
Cates likes Russell? LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

When hell freezes over

Seymour

Reaction score
Sweet!!!

I'm a powerball winner! :irishdrinkers:

8847e129e06ce3316e2de9762d2b6d0c2c909b607edfadae7e

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RCATES":10ibpri1 said:

We didnt have a run game for two years. Go check out Russ' stats

Fade

Reaction score
The scheme is okay, nothing special.

You're confusing the two.

John63

Reaction score
RCATES":iisgt2yr said:

Well then you are not considering him Elite based on no fact at all. This year alone Carolina 55 yards rushing hey we won why, Wilson. in fact we won 5 games this year with no 100-yard rusher. Last year Wilson was our leading rusher and made up 95% of our TDs and over 80% of our offensive yards(NFL RECORD), and we were an avg FG kicker form 11-4. Year before we only had a 100 yard Rusher twice but still won 10 games. So sorry your premise is not based on FACTS. FYI we also beat KC and that was a shootout. oh and FYI guess what of the 12 teams that were and are in the playoffs this year 10 were top half of the league in rushing, And that includes 2 of the top QBs in the league in Brady and Brees. So like I said your stance is not supported by facts at all.