Wilson is ok. Nothing special

erik2690

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":lxmjqrxr said:
Only thing I don’t get is why the sudden drop off against the blitz this season? He’s always been really good against the blitz before.

What stats are you looking at to come to this conclusion? His passer rating against the blitz was 2nd to Brees in the league. Passer rating isn't end all be all but gives you a good idea.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1080466304451133440[/tweet]

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
John63":367qxe88 said:
MD5eahawks":367qxe88 said:
semiahmoo":367qxe88 said:
supahawk":367qxe88 said:
That’s right. He is just ok. He isn’t a powerhouse do it all QB. Ever since his contract the Hawks have been a lesser team. Pete sees him everyday in practice. There is a reason they can’t lean on him. RW is a product of Pete playing softball with him and protecting him. RW is good but not worth sacrificing the pay of other players. But keep putting him on a pedestal and watch early playoff exits each year because he can’t make up for the loss of surrounding talent.

Not as hard on Russ as you are but the "loss of surrounding talent" line is legit.

I've made that same argument myself.

Russ needs a powerful run game to win. Period.

Tough to do when he's likely to get even more $$$ that makes that kind of needed run game difficult to attain.

Tough spot for the organization to be in.

Then there is the Pete factor which is also a legit concern.

Decisions...decisions...
Wrong. Pete’s system need a power run game that works to win. This is the system that Wilson is in. If it doesn’t work, he doesn’t win. It’s the same as the West Coast Offense. If the timing is off it doesn’t work. That doesn’t mean the QB sucks. Sometimes a team gets beat because the other team was simply better at shutting down what works for them to win.

So if he needs a POWERFUL run game to win how did we beat Oakland, Carolina, GB this year all under 100 rushing yards, Or for that matter how did we win any games last year when our top rusher a was the QB? OR the year before when we only had 100 yard rusher in 2 games, how did we win the Sb we had no one go for 100 yards. The reality is we have won a lot of games without a great running game, so that whole statement is just plain false.
That’s easy.
Russell Wilson. That’s how.
I was being general because the whole ‘he can’t win without a Lynch/defense’ argument is just a copout. Everyone knows RW can win any game. But sometimes he plays against a team that plays better than his and he doesn’t win.

Pete’s system IS a running game. So it’s not false. It was more out of aggravation because no matter how the Hawks lose a game there is always some clown that comes in here and wants Wilson’s head on a platter.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
John63":3f9fslc9 said:
TwistedHusky":3f9fslc9 said:
Wilson doesn't have that great of a record in the playoffs since Lynch left.

He can win against overmatched wildcard teams, but for the most part that is it.

Without his all everything defense, he is a glorified wildcard QB. Essentially he is James Harden of the NFL. Lighting things up in the regular season, doing all these amazing things and making highlights regularly. But when the playoffs start, he cannot do what other elite players do - take over games and beat better teams. Or even rise his play level to another level.

If anything, the results dip.

Though this time was not really his fault. His OC insisted on not even trying to push the ball with Wilson until late 3rd quarter. And we were still trying to run the ball in a grind you down game in the 4th. With our defense.....

Wilson is a tremendous regular season QB, but the only time he has accomplished anything in the postseason is when he had a defense full of HOF players and a borderline HOF RB. Ever since they left, he has done nothing but stumble in the playoff games against playoff caliber teams.

He is special though. In the regular season, he is amazing. Just not in the postseason.

By your definition, every sucks in the playoffs not named Brady, So if I understand you unless he can win more than 1 game with a mediocre defense, and mediocre run game, mediocre or bad oline, he sucks in the playoffs. HMM seems everyone must suck because no QB has done well in the playoffs with mediocre to bad oline, run game, and defense. Hm let me check last year. So NE, Buff, Pit, Jack Tenn, KC, Philly, MInny, NO, Car, Fal, Rams all made it. Nope, everyone had at least a top 10 defense or run game or oline. So well you wrong, Goodby

I would also like to know who these other QBs are that do this in the playoffs all the time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Disagree with the whole premise of this thread. Look at Wilson’ record and find the answers.

It was an interesting season where Wilson saved the team again and again.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
jammerhawk":9fcg7wd9 said:
Disagree with the whole premise of this thread. Look at Wilson’ record and find the answers.

It was an interesting season where Wilson saved the team again and again.

This. So much this ^^^^^^^^^^^

I get it. People want to blame someone. The real fact of the matter is, this is the BEST rebuilding year I've ever seen a team have. Thank you Russ for playing your heart out every day!

northseahawk

Reaction score
I will call him great when a see the first 5-10 yard slant completion in his career!

HansGruber

Reaction score
I understand being upset about a playoff loss, but really? Wilson is nothing special? LOL.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
northseahawk":33gmc4su said:
I will call him great when a see the first 5-10 yard slant completion in his career!

LOL.

It's funny but it's not because it happens to be true.

Russ has some serious deficiencies in his game that well coached teams manage to emphasize and when that happens we most often lose.

That's football.

He's a good (sometimes great) QB who really did have a great regular season and then the whole team from coaching on down crapped out against Dallas.

Now the question is do we truly rebuild or pay Russ the really big $$$ and hope we can find a way to improve from this season.

Decisions...decisions...

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1081747832774766592[/tweet]

doso

Reaction score
Dallas is not average PERIOD. Did you see that defense?!
Dak is average though...

northseahawk

Reaction score
Fade":ukehk7je said:

I am one of the "hater" as a few have accused me as on this forum, but It was clear that this game/loss was not on Wilson's play. He did what he could, but the game plan was complete crap!

The department I would blame him in is the lack of leadership that all elite, franchise qb have/had, which is to demand things from the coaches. If they refuse to make adjustments, grow a couple and call audibles out of the crap game calling. Show a little frustration as a leader. It's the damn playoffs, it's now or go home!!

northseahawk

Reaction score
doso":2hsf024v said:
Dak is average though...

It's not the first time we have made crappy/average defenses look like all-time-greats! Infact in the last 2-3 weeks, we have made the 49ers and cardinals defenses look like the top 1-2 best defenses to ever play the game!!!

We are built for this!

doso

Reaction score
northseahawk":1xndiawk said:
doso":1xndiawk said:
Dak is average though...

It's not the first time we have made crappy/average defenses look like all-time-greats! Infact in the last 2-3 weeks, we have made the 49ers and cardinals defenses look like the top 1-2 best defenses to ever play the game!!!

We are built for this!

How did they look like top defenses? We ran the ball down their throats (150+) the last 3 weeks.
How many yards did we get on Dallas? Yeah, not even 75. Held Carson to 20 yards! What other team was able to do that this year?!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
northseahawk":2d6h08gf said:
Fade":2d6h08gf said:

I am one of the "hater" as a few have accused me as on this forum, but It was clear that this game/loss was not on Wilson's play. He did what he could, but the game plan was complete crap!

The department I would blame him in is the lack of leadership that all elite, franchise qb have/had, which is to demand things from the coaches. If they refuse to make adjustments, grow a couple and call audibles out of the crap game calling. Show a little frustration as a leader. It's the damn playoffs, it's now or go home!!

GREAT post. I've said much the same. It seems Russ was more comfortable in the leadership role this season - the best he's done with that so far. Yes, some "attitude" out there where he demands the very best from all of those around him is in order. All the greats past and present have that quality. Russ has always seemed uncomfortable with that but this season, as I said, he seemed better.

That said, he was off in the loss to Dallas (but did make a few really great throws) but the entire team from coaching on down looked off, especially on the offensive side. Our D played good but far from great. Our offense played less than good but did have a few great plays and we managed to stay close for much of the game.

Now, do we pay Russ the big $$$$ to keep him on or????

That's a tough question for anyone willing to look at the entire situation honestly.

doso

Reaction score
"Now, do we pay Russ the big $$$$ to keep him on or????

That's a tough question for anyone willing to look at the entire situation honestly.”

How is this even a question? :177692:
Russ is staying regardless. Negotiations on his price tag, yes. But he’s staying.

John63

Reaction score
northseahawk":2lkopxdf said:

Well then you should start he has already thrown that pattern several times

John63

Reaction score
northseahawk":1pkf85tm said:
Fade":1pkf85tm said:

LOL really you can prove all franchise/elite qbs do this, call out their coaches, please lets see. Good bye

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
northseahawk":39xjrwvy said:
Fade":39xjrwvy said:

Nonsense

Ultimately a QB is going to run the plays that are called. I don't see any proof Brady changes runs to passes all the time.

Show a little frustration? Seems to work for Cam Newton....

Russell is himself he is level headed never too high or never too low. Just because you got all hurt last night doesnt mean he needs to grab a facemask. That's not who he is.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Our offense doesn't put Wilson in a good position to succeed. He is severely limited by his HC as opposed to his peers. If we had Peyton Manning in his prime it would be the same exact thing.

Latest posts