Wilson to have MRI tonight on knee

Hawks46

Reaction score
That hit that injured Wilson was not on the OL. Hell, it was 2 yards from the sideline, how's that on the OL ?

The OL was great in all phases today, other than too many holding calls (and 2 of them were ridiculously bad calls). Wilson had a clean pocket and more than enough time to drop bombs and hold the ball.

Even when we were getting holding calls, we were still continuing drives with 1st and 20. If your OL is playing terrible, 1st and 20 is hard to over come. We should know this, lol.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Pete will be on 710 ESPN at 9:30. Should have an update then.

Ozzy

Reaction score
12thbrah":3buclzvj said:
Even Russ at 60% gives us the best chance to win every week. The guy has a warrior mentality like Brett Favre. Hopefully Ifedi can go this week and help shore up that O-line.

Couldn't agree more. It scares me seeing him out there but I can see why the team would do it. I trust Pete with this sort of thing. They will do what is right for the team.

Ifedi will have some growing pains but he will instantly upgrade the line and give them a little bit of toughness as well. I think we need some of that, especially against teams like the Jets.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
LolaRox":1dwcrox4 said:
Can a sprained MCL be diagnosed without an X-ray or MRI?

A full diagnosis of the extent of the injury requires MRI. However, physical exam of the MCL is pretty good, and a good examiner should be able to determine whether there is a complete tear or a moderate to severe sprain (partial tear). A small, sprain (partial tear) may not result in enough joint laxity to allow for diagnosis by physical exam, even by a very good examiner.

MRI is used to accurately determine the degree of the tear, and probably more importantly, look for any associated meniscal injury.

It is possible to have a completely torn MCL and walk or jog with little to no pain. All patients will, however, have a sense of instability.

There is no reason to hold him out of next weeks game if he has no meniscal injury. He either has a severe enough tear to require surgery (likely with meniscal damage), or he can play.

That being said, given injury to both legs, I would keep the reigns on his running game and absolutely pull him out if we are up by 21 next week.

As soon as he started taking off on that play I was screaming at him to be smarter and just get rid of the ball. It's not like it was a tight game where we needed him to pull a Russell out of the hat to win it. He has to be smarter than that, situationally, and protect himself like he has done so well in the past.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
12thbrah":3dbspvcx said:
Even Russ at 60% gives us the best chance to win every week. The guy has a warrior mentality like Brett Favre. Hopefully Ifedi can go this week and help shore up that O-line.

The O-line wasn't why Wilson got hurt. Wilson's decision-making was why Wilson got hurt. The O-line did a pretty good job protecting him yesterday.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bigskydoc":bqf8tjdn said:
LolaRox":bqf8tjdn said:
Can a sprained MCL be diagnosed without an X-ray or MRI?

A full diagnosis of the extent of the injury requires MRI. However, physical exam of the MCL is pretty good, and a good examiner should be able to determine whether there is a complete tear or a moderate to severe sprain (partial tear). A small, sprain (partial tear) may not result in enough joint laxity to allow for diagnosis by physical exam, even by a very good examiner.

MRI is used to accurately determine the degree of the tear, and probably more importantly, look for any associated meniscal injury.

It is possible to have a completely torn MCL and walk or jog with little to no pain. All patients will, however, have a sense of instability.

There is no reason to hold him out of next weeks game if he has no meniscal injury. He either has a severe enough tear to require surgery (likely with meniscal damage), or he can play.

That being said, given injury to both legs, I would keep the reigns on his running game and absolutely pull him out if we are up by 21 next week.

As soon as he started taking off on that play I was screaming at him to be smarter and just get rid of the ball. It's not like it was a tight game where we needed him to pull a Russell out of the hat to win it. He has to be smarter than that, situationally, and protect himself like he has done so well in the past.

Great info. Thanks Doc.

I too wished he had thrown it away. We were well in control of the game at that point. But his competitive instinct was working against him.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Wilson being a warrior is what leads him to try to get two yards that he doesn't need. He's going to play like that, and I'm going to have to learn how to live with it.

I do wish that he'd just throw the ball away instead of standing around in the pocket waiting for guys to get open. I also wish that he'd just take more sacks instead of trying to do too much, but that's never going to happen.

12thbrah

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2b5luozy said:
12thbrah":2b5luozy said:

The O-line wasn't why Wilson got hurt. Wilson's decision-making was why Wilson got hurt. The O-line did a pretty good job protecting him yesterday.

I get that but we still need our best guys on the line to protect our hobbled QB. The Jets pass rush is no joke and Todd Bowles is gonna have that team out for blood next week after the Chiefs pasted them yesterday.

sam1313

Reaction score
I've had a grade 1 strain and a fully blown out MCL that looked like a broken rubber band on the MRI. The first they held me out a week but it probably wasn't necessary because I played the entire game after hurting it with no tape, brace etc. It did feel a little loose though.

The other kind really blew me away. turned my lower left leg completely sideways with a big pop, and there wasn't enough ligament left to even come close to holding my leg up if it was turned sideways. apparently there were a few strands remaining (Doc said he could feel some small resistance), so I didn't have surgery, and a few weeks in a brace, and about 8 total weeks of PT, and I was squatting 200+ pounds, and in another month over 300. As someone else said that ligament having its own blood supply can heal amazingly fast, so Russ should be fine soon but I may feel better if he could avoid playing this week too. Two weeks off would do him a lot of good.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
I like boykin but if he plays against the jets he will probably throw atleast 2 picks .

timmat

Reaction score
We've heard a lot of answers like "Russ is feeling great"; "Thankful it wasn't worse"; "Russ is moving around good today", etc. We can infer a lot from those positive statements. But has anyone straight up given a report on the MRI results saying anything like "The MRI was clear and showed no damage to the..."?

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ I think they'd give specifics if the MRI were completely normal. Probably some minor damage that they don't want to discuss in any detail. Just my hunch.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/780467455714009088[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
That recovery water endorsement was the smartest move Russell has made yet!! :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

dogorama

Reaction score
Laloosh":3a5oxv13 said:
^^ I think they'd give specifics if the MRI were completely normal. Probably some minor damage that they don't want to discuss in any detail. Just my hunch.

I think you're probably right. I went back and looked at the hit a couple more times and it was much worse than I thought yesterday. Given that people tear ligaments w/o even any contact, you have to wonder about the stability issue. If he plays, it will be w/a brace on.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seymour":8nxnsi2v said:
That recovery water endorsement was the smartest move Russell has made yet!! :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

Seriously. Even if it is a complete sham, Russ is making it look good.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":r40mwk99 said:
Wilson being a warrior is what leads him to try to get two yards that he doesn't need. He's going to play like that, and I'm going to have to learn how to live with it.

I do wish that he'd just throw the ball away instead of standing around in the pocket waiting for guys to get open. I also wish that he'd just take more sacks instead of trying to do too much, but that's never going to happen.
This, and we all best get used to it.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ajt3dvb5 said:
Seymour":ajt3dvb5 said:

Seriously. Even if it is a complete sham, Russ is making it look good.

If? It is a complete sham. :mrgreen:

The label lists "Oxygen and Electrolytes" as part of the magical formulation. Well, of course it has oxygen! Water is H2O. The whole thing is idiotic.

flavor-family-homepage.png

bigskydoc

Reaction score
People tear ACL and Patellar ligaments without contact. They (pretty much) don't tear MCL's without contact.

The instability from a small MCL tear is real, but minimal compared to other ligaments of the knee. With small MCL tears, the psychology of knowing the knee has some instability is as big of an issue as the actual instability itself. Because of this, you can't say that a certain degree of tear is or is not going to limit a patient. Their mental fortitude is as important as the degree of instability. For major tears, the magnitude of instability is big enough to limit all patients.

There is no reason to think that Wilson will be physically or mentally limited by a small tear.

dogorama

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2lo07yqy said:
People tear ACL and Patellar ligaments without contact. They (pretty much) don't tear MCL's without contact.

The instability from a small MCL tear is real, but minimal compared to other ligaments of the knee. With small MCL tears, the psychology of knowing the knee has some instability is as big of an issue as the actual instability itself. Because of this, you can't say that a certain degree of tear is or is not going to limit a patient. Their mental fortitude is as important as the degree of instability. For major tears, the magnitude of instability is big enough to limit all patients.

There is no reason to think that Wilson will be physically or mentally limited by a small tear.

Well, you're the doc, you should know. If the injury is negligible will he still have to wear a brace?

Latest posts