Would y'all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearly

Reaction score
Before Philly franchised Jackson and signed him long term a couple years ago, I advocated the Seahawks making a major push to sign him, even if it meant spending $10 million a year. On the field, he is the perfect player for Seattle's YAC / vertical driven passing offense. He brings tremendous value on special teams as well. It would be like adding another Harvin, except that Jackson is more of a receiver than Harvin is.

I think signing Jackson for his on field performance is a no-brainer, even at a decently high price-tag. But if Jackson isn't the "buy in" type he won't interest Pete.

As far as the gang connections, let's be honest, if you grew up in the 'hood there is a pretty decent chance you have some friends in low places. I'm sure a lot of teams are hiring private investigators right now, but situations like Hernandez are one of a kind and I can't say I am worried about DJaxx turning into a murderer. And I hate to say this because it sounds so Rovian, but even when Hernandez was busted for murder it's not like it hurt the Pats all that much, other than losing a bit of cap space. And I'm pretty sure Hernandez would have been a killer whether or not he was employed by an NFL team. And like I said, I would put the odds of Djaxx becoming a killer at a really, really low percentage. It's not something that would factor into my decision, unless a PI turned up something extremely alarming right away.

I think Djaxx has an attitude and Chip Kelly is a tight ship kind of guy who has only had one season to establish his credentials with his own locker room. We all remember how Pete ditched Housh when he was still trying to establish his bonafides in the locker room. There are a lot of viable non-scary motives for ditching Djaxx, among them the fact that this is an awesome draft for WRs coming up.

As far as Seattle being interested, there are reasons to think they would be and reasons to think they wouldn't be. Regarding the tweet DavidSeven linked, keep in mind that tweet was allegedly from an insider type source, it was not an official denial from the team. I'm guessing the insider source is probably right, but until we see what PC/JS actually do, we won't know if it's true or not. Lots of other teams denied interest too, could be that they were worried about accusations of tampering.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2m05yx67 said:
Uncle Si":2m05yx67 said:
vin.couve12":2m05yx67 said:
Wow....just wow. You have no idea what you want to get yourselves into, but have at it.

and you do?

For whatever reason, when Jax was on the trade block, Chip Kelly was up front with other teams as to what they would be getting. He went over they gang affiliations and locker room and off the field issues.

Teams promptly backed out and now the Eagles are getting nothing for him.

It's not hard to deduce.
According to the Eagles they became aware of gang issues on Wednesday... Long after "teams backed out"
Lots of double talk from the Eagles. I'm sure Jacksons got some issues... I also think the Eagles are floating alot out there to protect themselves

Nobody offered up a trade because he was at 10.5 mill a year and it was pretty obvious he was getting cut

Not hard to deduce at all

Tical21

Reaction score
For the life of me I can't understand why anything he has done has a player makes him attractive at any kind of decent price. Doesn't get open, has subpar hands, can't run routes worth a darn. This past year, where they ran a bazillion plays, is the only way he could catch more than 62 balls. Something just isn't right with the scenario. No way he catches more than 50 balls here. And you want to pay for that?

McGruff

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":3gbiirjy said:
Would y'all be ok with the Seahawks signing Desean Jackson, who was just released, to 5.5-6 million salary deal?

Absolutely. But no way he signs for that little.

Veilside

Reaction score
5.5 to 6 mil for Desean Jackson....pretty sure this FO would jump at that and not think twice.

I thought if anyone would have taken less to sign with the Hawks, it would have been Allen. I just don't see it with Jackson but it would make our offense ridiculous if he somehow did. He's tight with Lynch and we know Carroll loves him just like he loved Harvin....who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't know KC's cap situation but I would think he would end up there for a similar deal that Harvin got....maybe a little less because of all the questions marks around him right now.

edit* Can't believe I forgot about Carolina....that's where I would put my money.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13x73041 said:
jblaze":13x73041 said:
Sgt. Largent":13x73041 said:
jblaze":13x73041 said:
Yes. Marshawn is a thug and there's nothing wrong with that as lot as it's not gang related.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

As Richard Sherman says in his ESPN video that's included on the SB Blu Ray "I laugh when people call me a thug, because I KNOW thugs..........and believe me I'm not even close to a thug."

I know exactly what a thug is, I grew up on Hill Top in Tacoma in the late 80's and 90's. I've ran with my fair share of bad apples.

Marshawn is a thug, through and through. Marshawn throws gang signs too. Those signs he throws are Oakland gang signs. It's not a major deal though, he's not acting on it. Have you heard him talk when not in interviews?

Marshawn may know thugs, Marshawn may interact with thugs, but he is not a thug. By definition a thug is a criminal, someone who hurts people, someone who does illegal activity. Marshawn is a professional football player who grew up in an area with lots of thugs and gang members...........that does not make him one.

Now you're showing you don't know what a thug means. I understand you may read the definition on wikipedia, but that's not what it means to thugs or those affiliated with thugs.

Being a thug doesn't mean you're a criminal, come on... Things don't always fit into the nice and neat stereotypes people have. Have you seen his tats? He has gang tats. He's always throwing signs and representing when he talks off camera. He embraces it.

Nothing wrong with that but if you don't think Lynch is a thug, you have no idea what one is. He would call himself a thug.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":5h7kjkcf said:
For the life of me I can't understand why anything he has done has a player makes him attractive at any kind of decent price. Doesn't get open, has subpar hands, can't run routes worth a darn. This past year, where they ran a bazillion plays, is the only way he could catch more than 62 balls. Something just isn't right with the scenario. No way he catches more than 50 balls here. And you want to pay for that?

he caught 82 passes for 1300+ yards and 9 TDs.

thats not worth a punt?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3334yych said:
Tical21":3334yych said:

thats not worth a punt?

Lol he gets open and deep pretty often. His route running isn't the best though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
??? Anything he's done as a player??? Dude is damn good, and him as a punt returner, along with Harvin bringing back kicks?? Can't get much better than that.

I don't want him on the Hawks, mainly because of his attitude overall. However, IF any team could get the most out of him, the Hawks and PC would be the one.

jblaze

Reaction score
Guy is a top 15 receiver in this league talent wise. He has unique speed and YAC ability. I think it's worth exploring if it fits into your long term goals of keeping our nucleus together.

Can you imagine having to scheme for Harvin, Jackson and Lynch? What do you take away?

All defenses try to take away our run game first and foremost. With that WR corp, go ahead. If they play back, rush the ball. There is no good way to defend that on a consistent basis.

It would be completely unfair. I also don't see it happening. Someone else will come in and overpay for him beyond what we're willing to do.

My guess is we'd go to 6m for him, I think he'll sign for 8m somewhere like Oakland or NYJ.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I hate "y'all."

Just because you speak like an uneducated yokel, doesn't mean you have to type like one, as well.

That slow, southern drawl makes you sound like a rube, a dullard. Neil deGrasse Tyson could speak like a southern hick and no one would take anything he says seriously.

Who the hell would say "you all" anyway. Note that “y’all” stands for “you all” and is properly a plural form, though cousin lovers treat it as a singular form and resort to “all y’all” for the plural. Most southerners reserve “all y’all” to mean “each and every one of you.”

Do all y'all sell them fridges for the front porch of all y'alls trailers, so I can keep my Natural Ice cans of beer cold for the Nascar?

HawkStar22

Reaction score
All of you complaining about his lack of size, you do realize we won the Super Bowl with "small" WR's right? (Aside from Kearse)

I think this whole size thing is overblown... He obviously makes up for it in other ways. Why would you not want a player of his caliber on the team?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Saying you would take him for $5-6m is a total non-starter because that's not happening. Jackson has nothing to prove to the league, so there's no chance he signs the same deal that Riley Cooper just signed. Harvin came with worse red flags and still got himself an $11m/yr contract.

If you really want to think about and debate this realistically, you have to think of him as a $8-9M player, at minimum. Is he worth that much to Seattle? If this was pre-Harvin, I'd say it's a conversation worth having, but I agree with Tical that Jackson too often seems easily neutralized. Whenever I've watched an Eagles game, I've rarely felt Jackson was changing the dimensions of a game the same way that a Harvin, Lynch or Russell Wilson are able to do. That being said, he is a YAC playmaker who fits the mold of guys PC/JS generally like. Still, we're in the post-Harvin world and dumping $20M into the receiving corps just isn't justifiable IMO.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
My main thing is that Russell Wilson is making peanuts for the next two years.

After that he is going to get a much deserved massive payday.

I know we need to be fiscally smart to maintain a competitive team for a long period of time but we have such a rare chance these next two years with a stacked roster and an unfairly cheap superstar Quarterback to really do something special.

jblaze

Reaction score
The way I see it is that they'd be willing to offer what they were offering Allen. They wouldn't have gone after Allen if they weren't sure they could lock up Thomas and Sherman at the same time. The numbers show that you can.

Allen fell through so that cash is still expendable and that may be what they have to work with.

From what I'm reading on twitter, the gang stuff is way overblown with Jackson. However, the attitude issues are real and a major concern.

Cartire

Reaction score
Uncle Si":cxx5wqpd said:
Tical21":cxx5wqpd said:

thats not worth a punt?

I've come to the conclusion that Tical is just against anyone ever coming here.

jblaze

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":20w38y23 said:
My main thing is that Russell Wilson is making peanuts for the next two years.

After that he is going to get a much deserved massive payday.

I know we need to be fiscally smart to maintain a competitive team for a long period of time but we have such a rare chance these next two years with a stacked roster and an unfairly cheap superstar Quarterback to really do something special.

RW will not be making peanuts for the next two years. He'll get extended next offseason.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jblaze":26v444ho said:
The way I see it is that they'd be willing to offer what they were offering Allen.

A DE of Jared Allen's caliber is worth way more to Seattle right now than another 5'10 WR. That's the exact reason why they low-balled Tate. To offer Jackson the same deal as Allen, especially with a deep WR class coming up, would be crazy. And he wouldn't accept it anyway.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3h3zxqyz said:
jblaze":3h3zxqyz said:
The way I see it is that they'd be willing to offer what they were offering Allen.

A DE of Jared Allen's caliber is worth way more to Seattle right now than another 5'10 WR. That's the exact reason why they low-balled Tate. To offer Jackson the same deal as Allen, especially with a deep WR class coming up, would be crazy. And he wouldn't accept it anyway.

Disagree. Allen was a luxury. He would been a rotation pass rusher.

We have a huge need at WR and we need to fill Tate's spot on Punt Return. We know what kind of emphasis Pete puts on special teams.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
DavidSeven":8yngs94b said:
Saying you would take him for $5-6m is a total non-starter because that's not happening. Jackson has nothing to prove to the league, so there's no chance he signs the same deal that Riley Cooper just signed. Harvin came with worse red flags and still got himself an $11m/yr contract.

If you really want to think about and debate this realistically, you have to think of him as a $8-9M player, at minimum. Is he worth that much to Seattle? If this was pre-Harvin, I'd say it's a conversation worth having, but I agree with Tical that Jackson too often seems easily neutralized. Whenever I've watched an Eagles game, I've rarely felt Jackson was changing the dimensions of a game the same way that a Harvin, Lynch or Russell Wilson are able to do. That being said, he is a YAC playmaker who fits the mold of guys PC/JS generally like. Still, we're in the post-Harvin world and dumping $20M into the receiving corps just isn't justifiable IMO.

C'mon... Harvin had worse red flags??? Than the rampant speculation that Jackson is a gang member??? Uh, no.

All you need to know about the two players and how they're viewed...

Harvin was traded for a first round pick, plus two more AND signed to a deal bigger than Jackson has currently.

Jackson couldn't be traded for anything and makes less money... Hmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.