Would You Rather Have?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Beastquake got us much more than a moment too. It could be working in our favor in ways ranging from playoff experience, further invigoration for our fans, helping us be a blip on the radar for potential FAs, and maybe even unifying the team and enhancing loyalty to the region for potential discounts on long-term contracts and players not caring to "test" FA.

A

Anonymous

Wow, what a dividing topic.

Time-machine thoughts are fun, but I'll take the Beastquake and no J. J. Watt.

No question.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Tough choice, and I really hate the "we could have drafted player X instead" game, BUT...

Greatest single play in team history and one of the best in NFL history, but one that did not lead to a superbowl win

-or-

this draft:

11th: J.J. Watt
42nd: James Carpenter
99th: K.J. Wright
138th: Richard Sherman
157th: Byron Maxwell

Since the beastquake did not lead a to a superbowl win, I guess I will take adding Watt to this defense. It would only be fitting to have the best defensive player in the NFL leading the best defense in the NFL now. Watt playing home games at the CLink would be a sight to behold, and I think would seriously elevate our chances of winning a superbowl. I will take a very good shot at a superbowl win over the beastquake. But that is no way meant to diminish how awesome the beastquake was or how much I will cherish my memory of the thrill of watching it happen.

plyka

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2f5up426 said:
The Beast Quake upset win over Saints or a 6-10 record in 2010?

In 2011 Draft, 7 teams the year prior had a 6-10 record and picked from 7-13th.

Assuming we'd want to miss out on Jack Locker, and we wouldn't have been interested in Gabbert or Ponder, I would put the Seahawks from pick 11th to 14th. Rams would pick 14th but they would have made the playoffs at 8-8.

So from 11th to 14th Seahawks would have the choice of DL JJ Watt, DT Nick Fairley, or DE Robert Quinn. (or Christian Ponder).

To make it much more simple, lets just say the Seahawks took Houston's slot and took J.J. Watt with that pick.

In Round 2, Houston picked Brooks Reed, but if the Seahawks didn't like Brooks Reed they could have most likely found James Carpenter sitting there still but also TEs Kyle Rudolph and Lance Kendrick. But we'll just play along and still say they drafted Carpenter.

In reality land, Seahawks traded their 2nd round pick plus a 5th and a 7th for Lion's 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks .

Seahawks drafted John Moffitt, Kris Durham, Richard Sherman at 154, and Pep Levingston with those picks.

In take back the clock fantasy land, without that trade Seahawks and taking over Houston's slot, hypothetically, the Seahawks draft could still look similar to 2011 but with Watt.

11th: J.J. Watt
42nd: James Carpenter
99th: K.J. Wright
138th: Richard Sherman
157th: Byron Maxwell

with the 178th pick and 214th pick the rest of the way.

During the 2011 season, No Moffit, maybe meant that Paul McQuistan would be starting at RG, so possibly when Gallery went down, and Carpenter struggling at RT, they just move him over to LG thus preventing Carpenter's injury in the process. And giving Giacomini a head-start at RT.

Even with Watt, who I would play at 3 Tech, btw, I would still re-sign Bryant after 2011. However, this team wouldn't have needed to spend the 20 million that they did over the last 3 years on Branch, Jones, Bennett, and McDaniel.

I think 2012 draft would fairly stay the same, but if Clemons/Watt is providing 25-30 sacks assuming Clemons would be better with Watt next to him. Then maybe Bruce Irvin isn't a necessity, so replace him with a trade down still but for OG David DeCastro. DeCastro never goes to Pittsburgh suffering that injury. With DeCastro lasting to the 24th pick, Seahawks 2011 Record could still be a little better and chances are we'd still could get him.

Seahawks 2013 draft most likely would include more LBers but I doubt the team would change much more than that.

Seahawks D-Line would be so bad ass. Seahawks O-line could be Okung, healthy in-shape Carpenter, Unger, healthy DeCastro, and Giacomini.

Its crazy looking back how much of difference it made by winning 2 games in 2010, STL, week 17, and NO, in the playoffs. But thinking about the possibilities of what could be, I'm still not sure if I would trade all of that for the Beast Quake run. It was an epic moment not only in Seahawks lore but in NFL history.

Beast Quake or J.J. Watt, what say you 12s?

Obviously I would take Watt, and if anyone disagrees then they are allowing their emotions to get to them. I think Watt is currently the best player in the NFL, without a doubt (edit: not counting QBs here, as their position is too important). He can by himself make a defense --by his lonesome. The goal is to win the superbowl --there was no chance to win it that year, and with Watt on your defense we could be talking about a defense as good as that Ravens D in 2000, the year they won the SB. That was the best defense I have ever seen and there isn't another team even close. A defense if put up against Peyton right now, would shut him down to under 15 (maybe 20) points average over 10 games. They could absolutely shut teams down, make them unable to even get first downs.

All that said, this is all what ifs. If you've heard of the butterfly effect, you know that even the slightest change in the course of events could cause a million other things to change their direction. So there is no way to know whether the Hawks could have Watts even if they lost every game that year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The BeastQuake run and shock-the-nation upsets are the moments you live for as a fan. If you're willing to give up those memories for player accumulation, what are you really watching for? The fact that we've become a dominant team loaded with talent since then is just icing on the cake.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Gotta say, having JJ Watt would be seriously tempting. I'd say I'd take BeastQuake, but only because I think that created a culture on this team.

Watt on this team would be seriously unfair, and Beastquake would be the only moment of that few years that I would take over Watt.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It also bears mentioning that I believe that BeastQuake kept our own coach off the hot seat.

What if we had Watt and no Carroll? Would we still be as good?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawks46":3vqvza39 said:
Gotta say, having JJ Watt would be seriously tempting. I'd say I'd take BeastQuake, but only because I think that created a culture on this team.

razgriz737

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17fluxlw said:
The BeastQuake run and shock-the-nation upsets are the moments you live for as a fan. If you're willing to give up those memories for player accumulation, what are you really watching for? The fact that we've become a dominant team loaded with talent since then is just icing on the cake.
Sums up my feelings perfectly.

irocdave

Reaction score
Wouldn't trade beastquake ( and win over the favored Saints) for anything other than a QB that took the Hawks to the promised land and delivered a couple times over the next 10 years.
No guaranty for that, even with RW.

That win was the shot over the bow of every NFL team, fan base and media member. Don't think for a minute that being recognized as a SB contender doesn't provide benefits that assist with winning. When the Hawks beat the Saints almost every media member that didn't do their homework ate crow. Not to mention it was one of the best individual efforts in a playoff game ever, no matter the sport and will live forever in NFL films and will be used when previewing David Versus Goliaths playoff games. It helps get the prime time games (non 10:00am starts), respect of the officials and the media attention and promise of postseason play that players want. Think free agent signings at discounted rates.

The there is the boost to the fan base. If you watched that game, you know what I'm talking about. It is one of those rare moments in Seattle sports history where you remember where you were, who was around you and how crazy it was watching it happen. It is also one of the rare moments where most of the nations sports fans will remember the play. That is the type of play and game that EVERYONE remembers. The only other thing that comes to my mind that compares would be beating the Yankees in 1995. I would bet that the Hawks / Saints game was watched by more people though.