Yo Husky fans, just a reminder...

dogorama

Reaction score
JSeahawks":178w1ckm said:
IndyHawk":178w1ckm said:
JS,I looked up how much Phil knight has donated to UO and it's in the hundreds of millions $$$.I don't think you are getting out of that one :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Knight

Oh, I'm not denying anything. He's been a huge benefactor not only to the athletic department bit the whole university. It's just silly for uw fans to act like the ducks are the only ones to benefit from a big time booster or boosters.

I'm one of those people that donated to the Husky stadium renovation. It took many years and many donations to get that done. Phil Knight has unlimited access to that football program and no one person should be able to exert that kind of influence over an amateur athletics program. The NCAA rules state that no team should have an unfair financial advantage over another but Oregon has found a loophole. Phil Knight built his fortune on the exploitation of foreign impoverished sweatshop workers. There needs to be a NCAA rule that limits individual contributions to NCAA athletic programs.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
dogorama":3k1xjrao said:
I'm one of those people that donated to the Husky stadium renovation. It took many years and many donations to get that done. Phil Knight has unlimited access to that football program and no one person should be able to exert that kind of influence over an amateur athletics program. The NCAA rules state that no team should have an unfair financial advantage over another but Oregon has found a loophole. Phil Knight built his fortune on the exploitation of foreign impoverished sweatshop workers. There needs to be a NCAA rule that limits individual contributions to NCAA athletic programs.

Man, I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. Every school should have a Phil Knight, think of all the money the state and university could save if the athletic department was privately funded.

dogorama

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1xgvviq9 said:
dogorama":1xgvviq9 said:

Man, I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. Every school should have a Phil Knight, think of all the money the state and university could save if the athletic department was privately funded.

It's conflict of interest on steroids. Knight passes himself off as a philanthropist while at the same time avoiding millions of dollars in tax write-offs and using Oregon's football program to launch its football products - uniforms, helmets, etc., a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars. At one point Nike had a billboard in Times Square promoting Joey Harrington's Heisman campaign AND Nike's launch of football products. How do you separate Phil Knight the individual from Nike the corporation? That's easy, you can't, they are seamless, there are no boundaries.

Knight's influence is so entrenched that he withdrew financial support of the track program until AD Moos gave in and fired the coach. In 2000, then-university president Dave Frohnmayer aligned with the Worker Rights Consortium, a group of universities that had pressured Nike and other companies on fair labor practice issues. Frohnmayer later apologized publicly and profusely to Knight. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

It's business as usual, if it exists, it's for sale.

Only one problem, it isn't business, it's a public university, and the traditional role of higher education is to pursue and disseminate knowledge independent of economic and other extraneous pressures. Public trust in the university as an educational institution committed to the pursuit of truth and advancement of knowledge is critical.

So, what is wrong with it? That's easy, EVERYTHING.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dogorama":2yzwefb8 said:
JSeahawks":2yzwefb8 said:
IndyHawk":2yzwefb8 said:
JS,I looked up how much Phil knight has donated to UO and it's in the hundreds of millions $$$.I don't think you are getting out of that one :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Knight

Oh, I'm not denying anything. He's been a huge benefactor not only to the athletic department bit the whole university. It's just silly for uw fans to act like the ducks are the only ones to benefit from a big time booster or boosters.

T Boon Pickens disagrees with you.

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":5ja2p1xb said:
dogorama":5ja2p1xb said:
JSeahawks":5ja2p1xb said:
IndyHawk":5ja2p1xb said:

T Boon Pickens disagrees with you.

He's another one, but he doesn't share the same conflict of interest that Knight does.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
dogorama":2iqig4j3 said:
JSeahawks":2iqig4j3 said:
IndyHawk":2iqig4j3 said:

So all those years when UW had the unfair monetary and scholarship advantage were ok?

You sound like a total whiner.

dogorama

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2x30u6da said:
dogorama":2x30u6da said:
JSeahawks":2x30u6da said:
IndyHawk":2x30u6da said:

So all those years when UW had the unfair monetary and scholarship advantage were ok?

You know, if you have a point to make I'm sure everyone would be interested in hearing it, but calling people names on the board and/or making personal attacks is inappropriate and against .NET rules and policy.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3brbhspp said:
dogorama":3brbhspp said:
JSeahawks":3brbhspp said:
IndyHawk":3brbhspp said:

I'm curious what these so called unfair advantages were and when did they happen?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Why is benefitting from a booster a bad thing? Seems more an issue of envy than respectability.

dogorama

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1bv9bihy said:
Why is benefitting from a booster a bad thing? Seems more an issue of envy than respectability.

And it seems to me when you can't make an argument you resort to personal attacks. Every school has boosters, that is not what I am talking about here.

I'm a Husky, do I like losing to the ducks? No, but that isn't what this is. When Rick Neuheisel was the coach of the Huskies he was caught making a phone call to a recruit while sitting in a car in the next door neighbor's driveway. RN was out of allowable visits and this was his way of skirting the rules. Even though I have a very strong connection to Husky football I went on dawgman.com and criticized RN for doing that and just about the entire board vilified me for that. I also complained to the athletic director and to the president of the university. If I saw the Seahawks doing something unethical, as much as I love them, I would be very vocal about it.

If Phil Knight can get the coach of the track team fired what else can he do? He has already impeded the university's involvement in unfair labor practices. What's next? Research that could affect his company? Professors expressing political views contrary to his?

I'll repeat myself: The role of higher education is to pursue and disseminate knowledge independent of economic and other extraneous pressures. Public trust in the university as an educational institution committed to the pursuit of truth and advancement of knowledge is critical.

Perhaps you don't have any involvement in higher education and don't particularly care, or you think that the athletics of a university are a separate issue but they are not. There are a great many people concerned about these types of situations affecting the institutions that we hold most dear in America.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Didn't mean to attack you, even though I don't think I did. I'm a husky fan that just doesn't understand the Phil Knight/booster line of attack.

dogorama

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1fwnpr6i said:
Didn't mean to attack you, even though I don't think I did. I'm a husky fan that just doesn't understand the Phil Knight/booster line of attack.

No prob, I'm just a little sensitive because duck fans just say it's envy and coug fans accuse you of being a "whiner." My approach is to just keep it to the facts and let that speak for itself.

Huskies have donors like Gates that have lots more money than Knight and he doesn't get involved like Knight does. He donates money, but it's to academics and research where he thinks it will do the most good.

cesame

Reaction score
Phil Knight just this year donated $400 million to Stanford, and none if it had to do with football. You really think Phil Knight is all about football?

When he passes away he's already pledge to give the majority of his fortune to charity. That's a lot of money.

CodeWarrior is exactly on point. Criticizing the Ducks because of Phil Knight is just silly.

What is pretty silly is Alabama recruiting a QB from Hawaii and promising to give the recruit's dad a job, probably paying around $75-100K. If that's not buying recruits I don't know what is.

dogorama

Reaction score
cesame":26g5ehik said:
Phil Knight just this year donated $400 million to Stanford, and none if it had to do with football. You really think Phil Knight is all about football?

When he passes away he's already pledge to give the majority of his fortune to charity. That's a lot of money.

CodeWarrior is exactly on point. Criticizing the Ducks because of Phil Knight is just silly.

What is pretty silly is Alabama recruiting a QB from Hawaii and promising to give the recruit's dad a job, probably paying around $75-100K. If that's not buying recruits I don't know what is.

He can deflect criticism by donating all the money he wants. Is he all about football? 20 years ago he went to Bill Moos and asked him what it would take to make the duck's football program successful, that is when he started funneling money into the program. He turned a mediocre college football team that had never won anything into a national powerhouse with MONEY.

But that isn't my point, my point is the danger of allowing donors w/too much money to have access and influence into the university system. That much has already been proven about him. I don't care if it's Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, or Jesus Christ himself, it is a dangerous precedent.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
IndyHawk":20xzkhns said:
I'm curious what these so called unfair advantages were and when did they happen?

You are making the claim that Oregon only wins because of money. But no Husky fan ever made this complaint before when they were the only PNW school with money.

And the unfair scholarship advantages took place annually prior to the modern day cap of 85 which was instituted in the early 1990s.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
dogorama":3m5zcf4j said:
CodeWarrior":3m5zcf4j said:

No prob, I'm just a little sensitive because duck fans just say it's envy and coug fans accuse you of being a "whiner." My approach is to just keep it to the facts and let that speak for itself.

Huskies have donors like Gates that have lots more money than Knight and he doesn't get involved like Knight does. He donates money, but it's to academics and research where he thinks it will do the most good.

But you haven't stated any facts. You have merely posted opinions that his influence is too great and that could be a bad thing.

And yeah - it comes off as envy, whether you care to admit that or not.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
dogorama":2nnuoyv0 said:
cesame":2nnuoyv0 said:

He can deflect criticism by donating all the money he wants. Is he all about football? 20 years ago he went to Bill Moos and asked him what it would take to make the duck's football program successful, that is when he started funneling money into the program. He turned a mediocre college football team that had never won anything into a national powerhouse with MONEY.

But that isn't my point, my point is the danger of allowing donors w/too much money to have access and influence into the university system. That much has already been proven about him. I don't care if it's Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, or Jesus Christ himself, it is a dangerous precedent.

Do you honestly believe this doesn't happen at UW? Or any other big university with wealthy donors?

dogorama

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2b5ien6n said:
dogorama":2b5ien6n said:
cesame":2b5ien6n said:

Do you honestly believe this doesn't happen at UW? Or any other big university with wealthy donors?

There isn't a university in the United States that has a comparable situation to Oregon's.