Yo Husky fans, just a reminder...

JustTheTip

Reaction score
dogorama":mvfbgld7 said:
CodeWarrior":mvfbgld7 said:
Didn't mean to attack you, even though I don't think I did. I'm a husky fan that just doesn't understand the Phil Knight/booster line of attack.

No prob, I'm just a little sensitive because duck fans just say it's envy and coug fans accuse you of being a "whiner." My approach is to just keep it to the facts and let that speak for itself.

Huskies have donors like Gates that have lots more money than Knight and he doesn't get involved like Knight does. He donates money, but it's to academics and research where he thinks it will do the most good.

I think they are actually trying to say winner. You will have to excuse them if they don't know how to spell that word.

dogorama

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":33fedj4v said:
dogorama":33fedj4v said:
CodeWarrior":33fedj4v said:
Didn't mean to attack you, even though I don't think I did. I'm a husky fan that just doesn't understand the Phil Knight/booster line of attack.

No prob, I'm just a little sensitive because duck fans just say it's envy and coug fans accuse you of being a "whiner." My approach is to just keep it to the facts and let that speak for itself.

Huskies have donors like Gates that have lots more money than Knight and he doesn't get involved like Knight does. He donates money, but it's to academics and research where he thinks it will do the most good.

But you haven't stated any facts. You have merely posted opinions that his influence is too great and that could be a bad thing.

And yeah - it comes off as envy, whether you care to admit that or not.

Wrong, I cited an example where PK used his influence to get a coach fired and to cause the university to discontinue its involvement with other universities in a unified effort to fight unfair labor practices. These and many others have been documented for years, just because you are uninformed doesn't rise to the level of a valid argument.

dogorama

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3li0ywi6 said:
dogorama":3li0ywi6 said:
CodeWarrior":3li0ywi6 said:

But you haven't stated any facts. You have merely posted opinions that his influence is too great and that could be a bad thing.

Here's one of his latest scandals, he literally bought the 2021 IAAF World Championships which will be played at guess where? The Univ. of Oregon. This caused a major controversy because the president of the IAAFis on Nike's payroll.

Then theres this:

But Nike has bigger problems than Coe and the 2021 IAAF World Championships. The company is cooperating with a U.S. Department of Justice investigation into its 10-year, $160-million deal to sponsor the Brazilian national soccer team in 1996 and whether the deal was tied to bribes given to the Brazil soccer president at the time.
http://fortune.com/2015/12/04/iaaf-seb-coe-nike/

Keep in these are just two of scores of scandals throughout the years, there's everything from exploiting children in foreign sweatshops to bribes to major conflicts of interest. Phil Knight is a sleazy megolomaniac that will do anything to pad his bankroll and feed his ego.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
dogorama":t2donikl said:
Seahawks1983":t2donikl said:
dogorama":t2donikl said:
CodeWarrior":t2donikl said:

Wrong, I cited an example where PK used his influence to get a coach fired and to cause the university to discontinue its involvement with other universities in a unified effort to fight unfair labor practices. These and many others have been documented for years, just because you are uninformed doesn't rise to the level of a valid argument.

Boosters get college coaches fired all time. This is hardly exclusive to Oregon.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
dogorama":12vbuu9h said:
...there's everything from exploiting children in foreign sweatshops...

This is one thing that I don't have a problem with, and one thing that I think most people don't think through completely. The people in 3rd world countries who work in sweatshops are actually VERY happy to have those jobs. If NIKE closed up all those shops in those countries, the quality of life and standard of living for people who live there would decrease. The term "exploit" isn't always negative. Often times, it's actually positive. Just something I learned in my economics classes ;)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1vqfx4cr said:
IndyHawk":1vqfx4cr said:
I'm curious what these so called unfair advantages were and when did they happen?

You are making the claim that Oregon only wins because of money. But no Husky fan ever made this complaint before when they were the only PNW school with money.

And the unfair scholarship advantages took place annually prior to the modern day cap of 85 which was instituted in the early 1990s.
It's just weird I don't remember that but you say PRIOR to a modern day cap so before this cap there really wasn't a firm limit?On other things you made some valid points but on this one I'm not so sure yet.

cesame

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2qudve3v said:
Boosters get college coaches fired all time. This is hardly exclusive to Oregon.

Ding ding ding ding ding

dogorama

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1yzmbmdj said:
dogorama":1yzmbmdj said:

This is one thing that I don't have a problem with, and one thing that I think most people don't think through completely. The people in 3rd world countries who work in sweatshops are actually VERY happy to have those jobs. If NIKE closed up all those shops in those countries, the quality of life and standard of living for people who live there would decrease. The term "exploit" isn't always negative. Often times, it's actually positive. Just something I learned in my economics classes ;)

It just depends on what school of economics you ascribe to. Of course, most economists think it's better than the alternative, their only concern is the bottom line. There wasn't much thought of the social implications of economics until John Kenneth Galbraith came along. To say it's better than the alternative is like saying skin cancer is a better alternative than brain cancer, they will both kill you, one is just quicker.

Nike has even admitted they were wrong in what they did, but they didn't change until there was a huge public outcry and they had already made their money. Nike's profit margin was gigantic using sweatshops, they could have made conditions better but every time the workers demanded better conditions they moved to another country. To say that they're happy is like saying the slaves were happy, it sounds very condescending.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man this potentially fun thread turned lame. Any husky fans want to make fun of the ducks actual football program or the lack of championships?

dogorama

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1v5favq8 said:
Man this potentially fun thread turned lame. Any husky fans want to make fun of the ducks actual football program or the lack of championships?

Sorry JSeahawks, it's something I feel passionate about and you are correct, it is out of context.

My apologies, no personal offense intended.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2xnigrbw said:

Only because you asked nicely:

14358695_10155189178184027_7383388366640043336_n.jpg

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I wonder how you thought this was going to go?I mean a Duck fan among a bunch of UW fans with a Cougar fan or two getting involved...Just saying

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":31hfqm31 said:
I wonder how you thought this was going to go?I mean a Duck fan among a bunch of UW fans with a Cougar fan or two getting involved...Just saying

I thought it would go like this:

Husky fan: you suck!
Duck fan: no you suck!
Coug fan: husky fan sucks! We beat oregon!
Husky fan: you suck Coug!
Duck fan: yea... Cougs suck...
USC fan: hey, what's going on here?
Duck, Coug and husky fan in unison: clay Helton? Hahaha

I didnt think it would go to 3rd world country economics. I guess that's what we get for inviting the academic institution in the northwest to a sports discussion.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
dogorama":1mxg1ogz said:
fenderbender123":1mxg1ogz said:
dogorama":1mxg1ogz said:

It just depends on what school of economics you ascribe to. Of course, most economists think it's better than the alternative, their only concern is the bottom line. There wasn't much thought of the social implications of economics until John Kenneth Galbraith came along. To say it's better than the alternative is like saying skin cancer is a better alternative than brain cancer, they will both kill you, one is just quicker.

Nike has even admitted they were wrong in what they did, but they didn't change until there was a huge public outcry and they had already made their money. Nike's profit margin was gigantic using sweatshops, they could have made conditions better but every time the workers demanded better conditions they moved to another country. To say that they're happy is like saying the slaves were happy, it sounds very condescending.

I don't doubt any of this. But regardless of their reasons, those Nike sweatshops did more to help improve the lives of people in 3rd world countries than almost anything or anyone else in America.

Because of that, I'm just not much of a fan judging NIKE negatively. Your cancer analogy is actually good. If I had cancer, and Nike came along and was able to extend my life by a few years (which is basically what doctors do), then I'd be saying God bless Nike.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":35a7tg0c said:
IndyHawk":35a7tg0c said:

I thought it would go like this:

Husky fan: you suck!
Duck fan: no you suck!
Coug fan: husky fan sucks! We beat oregon!
Husky fan: you suck Coug!
Duck fan: yea... Cougs suck...
USC fan: hey, what's going on here?
Duck, Coug and husky fan in unison: clay Helton? Hahaha

I didnt think it would go to 3rd world country economics. I guess that's what we get for inviting the academic institution in the northwest to a sports discussion.
I see what you mean,well I got of topic myself in there(sorry)I think we all get passionate about our teams and then some at times.I think this can be saved yet..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":16ioz4h2 said:
IndyHawk":16ioz4h2 said:

HRYK

This is the SEATTLE Seahawks board.
I think we all know that(Thanks)but on the board is different areas for topics non Hawk :mrgreen:

dogorama

Reaction score
IndyHawk":r6gqihbm said:
dogorama":r6gqihbm said:
IndyHawk":r6gqihbm said:

HRYK

This is the SEATTLE Seahawks board.
I think we all know that(Thanks)but on the board is different areas for topics non Hawk :mrgreen:

Don't take me serious Indy, I'm just trying to ruffle some feathers. :stirthepot:

Latest posts