Your vote for current Hawks MVP (has this been done lately?)

Your vote for current Hawks MVP (has this been done lately?)

• Russell Wilson

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Richard Sherman

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Kam Chancellor

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Bobby Wagner

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":2ne333nh said:
Tical21":2ne333nh said:
If we have Andy Daulton instead of Russell, I think we win 10-11.

If we have Reggie Bush instead of Marshawn Lynch, I think we win 8 at most.

If the Seahawks had Dalton, they wouldn't have beaten the Panthers in the playoffs.

To him any QB is better than Wilson you just need to ignore him everyone else does.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I don't think there's a wrong answer to this one. Along with the obvious – back-to-back SB appearances – that's a great indicator of an all-time great team.

To my own surprise, I went with Sherman. We all know that Earl makes our cover-3 possible, but it's still up to Sherm to effectively take away a half or third of the field for opposing QBs and he's done so consistently for 3+ years. Let's say we have Earl, but Tharold Simon and Cary Williams as our corners. No QB worth his salt is going to avoid an entire side of the field with that lineup. That's the Richard Sherman effect, and no one else on D has it to that level. So if we're considering the drop-off factor to the 2nd stringer, #25 is #1.

I'm also considering film study, game concept awareness, coaching up teammates, and the whole practice and off-field presence. I think Sherman has some equals there in Earl and Wilson, but he's the guy we see consistently practicing the technique he preaches and doing so to make opponents look, frankly, unqualified for NFL play. Everybody knows Sherman's game, yet every now and then a QB just can't resist trying him, and they learn the hard way. The rest of the time they say "no thanks, we'll go somewhere else with the ball... or lose trying." But the vast majority of the time, they don't throw at Sherm because that would be like losing on purpose.

Another qualitative metric: we can count the number of bad games on two or three fingers. OBJ got him pretty good. TY Hilton. Stevie Johnson had a good game for Buffalo a few years ago. Really, that's it though. He never "disappears" and his tackling is right up there with his coverage and ball-hawking skills, CB-wise. His ability to limit YAC when they do complete one on him is huge.

The case for Wilson or Lynch is just as strong, but offense is such a different animal. Wilson requires a spy from most teams, and Marshawn attracts stacked boxes like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. But we've seen that if a team can exploit an o-line weakness, or use DB's to re-route our pedestrians, they can shut down either 3 or 24. Wilson has had more than a few stinkers. More than a few teams have sold out to contain Lynch and it's worked. On the flip side, we've seen either Wilson or Lynch step up in those situations and carry the team. So again, each is MVP worthy.

It's a fun conversation when you have so many qualified players. :snack:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I saw how far the Seahawks got without Wilson. They had Lynch and Thomas for two years before he got there.

Seeing how he turns nothing into something on a regular basis, I have to give the nod to Wilson. Without him, the Hawks don't win a Super Bowl.

MVP53

Reaction score
The answer to the "most valuable" player is almost always the QB (obviously the Jets, or Titans are an exception). At least the franchises feel the QB has the most value, since they usually pay them the most money.

We're going to find out how valuable Lynch is pretty soon, cause I don't think he's got more than 1, maybe 2 more years in the tank. IMO, the replacement for Lynch shouldn't be some lesser man's Lynch clone. IMO, the replacement for Lynch is going to be Jimmy Graham and increased passing attempts for Wilson.

The identity of THIS team is Lynch, pounding the ball, clock control. I don't know if that was by design, or just a circumstance of the personnel they were able to acquire.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1l4gbr0q said:
I went with what 6 of the 12 voices in my head said. The other 6 are still arguing. I dont understand this. I hope you did not have this kind of situation when you were arguing with yourself. :mrgreen:
If you understand it's with yourself, then you're operating on a higher level than most of the Net.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MVP53":2p1hl10l said:
The answer to the "most valuable" player is almost always the QB (obviously the Jets, or Titans are an exception). At least the franchises feel the QB has the most value, since they usually pay them the most money.

We're going to find out how valuable Lynch is pretty soon, cause I don't think he's got more than 1, maybe 2 more years in the tank. IMO, the replacement for Lynch shouldn't be some lesser man's Lynch clone. IMO, the replacement for Lynch is going to be Jimmy Graham and increased passing attempts for Wilson.

The identity of THIS team is Lynch, pounding the ball, clock control. I don't know if that was by design, or just a circumstance of the personnel they were able to acquire.
I agree, except not necessarily about Graham. I think we'll transition to a Wilson-led passing offense. This will require better o-linemen than he's ever had here. The Lynch-based offense was an accident--it just happened cause he was so good. PC is pragmatic--he'll base an offense on whatever he's tools he's got that can execute.

MVP53

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2q7x7wxe said:
MVP53":2q7x7wxe said:

I agree, except not necessarily about Graham. I think we'll transition to a Wilson-led passing offense. This will require better o-linemen than he's ever had here. The Lynch-based offense was an accident--it just happened cause he was so good. PC is pragmatic--he'll base an offense on whatever he's tools he's got that can execute.

Yea, I didn't mean Lynch's replacement was just going to be Jimmy Graham. I mean I think they will just alter the offense to fit whatever effective personnel they have. For the time being, I would have to think Graham will have a lot to do with that.

That's what good football teams do. Just look at the NE Patriots. They didn't spend years banging their heads against the wall trying to find the next Randy Moss. They adjusted what they do to what they had/have.

rideaducati

Reaction score
MVP53":1aqxp8bb said:
Lords of Scythia":1aqxp8bb said:
MVP53":1aqxp8bb said:

Yea, I didn't mean Lynch's replacement was just going to be Jimmy Graham. I mean I think they will just alter the offense to fit whatever effective personnel they have. For the time being, I would have to think Graham will have a lot to do with that.

That's what good football teams do. Just look at the NE Patriots. They didn't spend years banging their heads against the wall trying to find the next Randy Moss. They adjusted what they do to what they had/have.

I'm skeptical on the personnel the Seahawks use when it's crunch time. Look at the play from the 1 yard line and take notice of the personnel used and how they were used. I think the Seahawks can be great again, but they don't need to put certain players in on plays doing what they don't do very well. I hope we see Lockette blocking and better receivers trying to catch the passes, play call be damned.