You're the GM!!!!!!

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
My conclusions of actual GM/HC moves from the end of season to the end of the draft ( including UDFA rookies) for this offseason. Of course, more moves can be made until the season starts, but that is another story.

First, I am surprised that Avril hasn't been cut, Brown hasn't been extended and ET wasn't traded. All three seemed like absolutes to me. Some of the other cuts and trades made sense. I was surprised about cutting Sherman only because I feel he was more than just a very good player, but was the most vocal LOB member who helped the younger guys. I think we may miss that experience and voice.

Second, we did well with re-signing some of our own FA's including Dion Jordan, Marcus Smith, Quinton Jefferson, Bradley McDougald and really happy about Byron Maxwell. With Sherman being cut that was a real need at least for another year. He can help hold the position down and hopefully help the younger guys learn the system.

Third, I thought our new FA additions were reasoned and needed to fill some holes. Fluker at RG and Dickson at blocking TE are going to help the right side of the line. That should help to open holes for our new franchise RB. On defense getting both Johnson and Stephen for our DT rotation helps with losing both Bennett and Richardson. Their loss won't hurt as badly. In addition getting Mingo at SLB could be like getting another Irvin back at that spot. That could really be useful for this team as we haven't had that spot filled well since he left! Almost forgot we signed a future HOF kicker (Janikowski) who even on his worse day is better than our last guy. And he will be money inside the 50. Book it!

Last our draft picks and rookie UDFA were well reasoned and filled some needed spots for the future. While I still would have liked a monster LG, I get that with limited high picks we needed to go RB. I actually watched Penny several times this last season as he played in my college conference (Fresno State Alum) and saw his talent. I just hope he survives while we get our O-line straightened out. I also watched some USC games (lived in LA for 30 years) and believe getting Green in the 3rd was a steal! The only other player's story I know about is Griffin, but his personality and motivation/focus will be great for this team. And he can play! The rest of our draft class is somewhat new to me, but the process actually made sense. The only UDFA I remember is DT Ford which is a big thing. He is an immovable slab of granite. The fact he wasn't drafted is just nuts, but glad we got him!

I looked at my second GM post plan and it actually came rather close in many ways. Not perfect but who cares. We aren't the real GM's. It was just fun to do.

My biggest concern is still the O-Line. Some things are better (RG, Blocking TE) that will help. But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe. I could even see Joekel on a one year $2-3M deal if no one signs him. Could happen.

In conclusion I see potential and a new direction from our last few seasons. It's exciting to hope that some of our concerns about how much time needed to be a contender may not be that far off again. That will be fun to see!

:irishdrinkers:

AgentDib

Reaction score
kf3339":9qrufl1p said:
But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe.
I definitely thought the same, but my initial takeaway from the draft is that they are much higher on Pocic (or Roos?) than I was. Pocic was a second round pick just last year after all and he's clearly added a lot of weight. Perhaps they add a guard in a year where we start with a 2nd rounder, but it didn't appear to be a priority to them this year and that reflects well on Pocic in my view.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":1kihvcev said:
kf3339":1kihvcev said:
But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe.
I definitely thought the same, but my initial takeaway from the draft is that they are much higher on Pocic (or Roos?) than I was. Pocic was a second round pick just last year after all and he's clearly added a lot of weight. Perhaps they add a guard in a year where we start with a 2nd rounder, but it didn't appear to be a priority to them this year and that reflects well on Pocic in my view.

You must remember this is just phase 2 as far as the draft, we will start having cuts in June and then again in August and then right before the season starts. We are not done yet.

As far as being the GM, fire Schneider, Fender has a much better grasp of the talent in the league :p

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1j9q46gn said:
AgentDib":1j9q46gn said:
kf3339":1j9q46gn said:

You must remember this is just phase 2 as far as the draft, we will start having cuts in June and then again in August and then right before the season starts. We are not done yet.

As far as being the GM, fire Schneider, Fender has a much better grasp of the talent in the league :p

The draft continues when we add a few castaways from other teams, too, either to the 53 or to the practice squad.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
AgentDib":115dmtu1 said:
kf3339":115dmtu1 said:

"IF" I had to pick one lineman who could be considered for LG, it would be Pocic. But that to me is still a big question mark. Hope he can do the job, but right now I just don't know. I am aware of his draft status, but that doesn't guarantee the ability to be a quality starter. So we shall see.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":3ewkknvo said:
AgentDib":3ewkknvo said:
kf3339":3ewkknvo said:

That is true just like there are veteran cuts before and during training/preseason that could come into play. But that is true pretty much year round including potential trades.