Kasen Williams

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Did anyone, by chance, come across video of this ridiculous catch he apparently made yesterday? Would love to see it. Then again...that may be something they bury if they are trying to sneak him onto the practice squad.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
WRs generally are pretty easy to stash on a PS. Pretty much every team has multiple Kasen Williams/Doug McNeil types on their rosters.

Doubt they are thinking that way. That doesn't seem like Pete at all. He's been very consistent with trying to get people the best opportunities to grow regardless if it's here. That goes for players and coaches alike.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Kasen Williams and think he has a great shot at being productive at this level, just has to stay healthy and be given a chance.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I know many Husky fans think former players are the best thing since sliced bread, but Kasen is probably going to be on the PS and is probably not going to be claimed by anyone. As Attyla said, there are plenty of these types scattered on practice squads all over.

That said, pretty excited to see him out there with T-Jack and/or Archer

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Playing WR in the NFL is about one of two things when trying to make a roster; big plays and/or consistency. Williams was one of the best recruits in the country for a reason and we already know that he can make some monster plays.

I do find it funny that folks think that you can just stash a player on the practice squad, but if Williams shows up in the preseason going up over the top and making a couple big plays then all bets are off and he'll get claimed. After the 3 touchdown practice that shouldn't surprise. Some writers already have him taking that 6th WR spot, which IS entirely possible.

What we do know about this WR group is that a good player is likely going to be playing elsewhere. I almost wonder if McNiel is being tried at CB so he'll be easier to get to the PS later. We just have too damn many.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":p2ihno79 said:
I know many Husky fans think former players are the best thing since sliced bread, but Kasen is probably going to be on the PS and is probably not going to be claimed by anyone. As Attyla said, there are plenty of these types scattered on practice squads all over.

That said, pretty excited to see him out there with T-Jack and/or Archer
When you say "these types" I'm assuming you're talking vaguely about fringe players.

Specifically, Kasen has a body type that is somewhere between Bolden and TO. He's not a true burner, but coupled with that body type, where he excels is outstanding aerial body control and making strong hands catches.

That's absolutely not a trait that's litered all over the NFL. Make no mistake, if not for that injury and still having a pin in his foot to this day, he'd have been drafted. To what degree, I'm not sure because of that extremely weak armed idiot playing QB for the Huskies, whom I can't remember his name.

12thManMilitia

Reaction score
Kasen was All-State if not State champ in High & Long Jump those abilities are natural to go up a get the ball (Golden Tate) and it was sorely missed all last year and finally showed up in the form of Chris Matthews in the Super Bowl. We got Jimmy now but if Kasen can go up and get the ball in a form close to Jimmy or Golden I say he should be on the roster.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'll just own it, I think he is the surprise guy to make the team and if not no one will remember anyway. :)

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
austinslater25":2pu48zyy said:
I'll just own it, I think he is the surprise guy to make the team and if not no one will remember anyway. :)

I share your opinion. If his heart is as big as his play has been during camp, someone else is in trouble.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Gotta say, at this level I dont care where you went to school, if you help the hawks thats all I care about.

Good for you husky fans for hoping one of your own makes it, but I dont think his odds are very good.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I would try to practice squad him. He had a couple drops in the last practice and would probably benefit from a year of development on the practice squad. If he doesn't make it, then Kevin Smith was looking equally good, if not better, when he was healthy. Douglas McNeil could also probably make it to the practice squad, where they may decide he looks better at receiver than corner.

Ride with Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse, Matthews, and Lockette (temporarily for speed and special teams) and then consider cutting Lockette when Richardson returns, assuming everyone else is still healthy.

In this scenario, Norwood is the guy who is out of luck, as he does not have practice squad eligibility, and there doesn't appear to be more upside there than with those other guys who are practice squad eligible. Carrying a receiver, who does not have unique speed to flash on special teams, won't contribute much as a receiver, and has very little separating him from the practice squad candidates, would be a waste.

Then again, I don't get the impression that he will be released. I would say there is a better than 50% probability that Norwood makes the roster, with the team carrying six again or at the expense of Lockette. Maybe Norwood will surprise people.

McGruff

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2gg0pi88 said:
Gotta say, at this level I dont care where you went to school, if you help the hawks thats all I care about.

Good for you husky fans for hoping one of your own makes it, but I dont think his odds are very good.

About as good as they were for an undrafted WR from Stanford, or a 7th round draft pick at DT converting to OL, or a journeyman CB from the CFL, or . . .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if the team were to find another high quality talented WR from the underrated and undrafted FA pile?

I hope Kasen Williams is another diamond Jn'P have grabbed from the discard pile. So far at least Williams is showing he really wants it and is prepared to compete to make the roster. His college and HS resume indicates he has some skills and if totally healthy (as he now appears to be) he could be special. He will however need to show some versatility to make the team and to step ahead of some of the other talented players he's competing against.

Baldwin, Kearse, Matthews, and Lockette were all undrafted and they all could make the team along with Kasen. The season starting WR corps may feature just one drafted player and these guys could style themselves 'Lockett and the mediocre's'; i'm assume Richardson gets PUP'd to start the season. A WR crew featuring those 6 players would offer up a wide array of versatile abilities and talent and would be a testament to solid personnel work by the FO.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
gowazzu02":5izray2j said:

Good for you Husky fans for hoping one of your own makes it, but I don't think his odds are very good.
Worrying about where a guy went to college is for frat boys and out of the blue new Oregon fans. It's got nothing to do with projecting skills sets or fit at the NFL level. Well, level of competition I guess too, but that's part of the projection piece.

EDIT: If it matters though, I thought Vince Mayle has some real NFL-level talent. Plays faster than he times, and has a legitimate NFL body with really great acceleration/burst (again, faster than he times). Reminded me of Cody Latimer, who I also liked.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I always thought would be a good fit on the Hawks. Not because he went to UW but because of his size and the type of WR I think he can be in the NFL. To me, I think he's a better pro than he was a college player.

Sarks spread offense was a terrible fit for him and last year he just wasn't healthy. He's big, he's physical and he's a good athlete plus he seems to be having a good camp.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
vin.couve12":g8r0dhpc said:
gowazzu02":g8r0dhpc said:

Good for you Husky fans for hoping one of your own makes it, but I don't think his odds are very good.
Worrying about where a guy went to college is for frat boys and out of the blue new Oregon fans. It's got nothing to do with projecting skills sets or fit at the NFL level. Well, level of competition I guess too, but that's part of the projection piece.

EDIT: If it matters though, I thought Vince Mayle has some real NFL-level talent. Plays faster than he times, and has a legitimate NFL body with really great acceleration/burst (again, faster than he times). Reminded me of Cody Latimer, who I also liked.

The cleveland browns would agree with you, they drafted Mayle in the 4th round.

kpak76

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":lw006kau said:
WRs generally are pretty easy to stash on a PS. Pretty much every team has multiple Kasen Williams/Doug McNeil types on their rosters.

Doubt they are thinking that way. That doesn't seem like Pete at all. He's been very consistent with trying to get people the best opportunities to grow regardless if it's here. That goes for players and coaches alike.

Our guys seem to get snatched up pretty quickly on waivers. The Falcons will be eyeing our waivers during cuts, just watch.

kpak76

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ujbmlym said:
Playing WR in the NFL is about one of two things when trying to make a roster; big plays and/or consistency. Williams was one of the best recruits in the country for a reason and we already know that he can make some monster plays.

I do find it funny that folks think that you can just stash a player on the practice squad, but if Williams shows up in the preseason going up over the top and making a couple big plays then all bets are off and he'll get claimed. After the 3 touchdown practice that shouldn't surprise. Some writers already have him taking that 6th WR spot, which IS entirely possible.

What we do know about this WR group is that a good player is likely going to be playing elsewhere. I almost wonder if McNiel is being tried at CB so he'll be easier to get to the PS later. We just have too damn many.

Clayton seems to think it has something more to do with the 3 drops hes had in practice.

Latest posts