Really? O Line and Wilson per Bevell.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell: Russell Wilson has to “continually trust” offensive linemen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-has-to-continually-trust-offensive-linemen/

This is why we can't have nice things on offense, trust is earned, you just don't give it freely especially when it's your body getting slammed to the turf by 300 pound men.

When your sacked or unable to throw 39 percent of the time that's a pretty good reason to say I don't trust them.

Exittium

Reaction score
Wow.. Someone needs to do a weekly comic strip in the papers of the stupid shit bevell says. Its flat our comically ignorant

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If Russell isn't going to trust his O linemen, then I'd rather he be throwing the ball away/incomplete. There certainly is an element at work here where Wilson is trying to do too much. I think we all see it. That's when bad things happen. To this point, we've been lucky that it's only sacks. Wilson is going to scramble himself into getting drilled at some point.

Mobility is a great asset. But you have to be judicious with it. Until he stops feeling ghost pressure and loses focus downfield trying to evade the anticipated rush, he should get into the mindset of just getting the ball out and living to play another down. He's typically very good at this both in rushes into an open middle, or out in space.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I must be the only one that kind of agrees with Bevell. Wilson likes to scramble and leave the pocket too early. The line is young, yes. But when Wilson scrambles to one side, he doesn't see one of his WR's open on the side his back is facing.

The amount of sacks Wilson has accrued is due to the line being young and gaining chemistry. The more chemistry and experience the line has they will learn to become better blockers and have more endurance to protect Wilson.

In my opinion, Wilson's scrambling creates pressure on the line to block the direction he is going, and that creates a mis-match for the opposing d-line because the line doesn't know where Wilson is going, they are blocking him, but the defensive linemen know where he's going and can expose the young line with the pressuring.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
The Young Line problem isn't going to go away, Okung is more likely to be gone next year, the replacement is Gilliam at this point and we seen how the right side has faired, we also have another lineman that has a contract up next year I think it is Sweezy off the top of my head, therefore the young line is back again next season with a new LT that is suppose to protect Wilsons blind side. Stability needs to start happening there. Playing catch up and experience for half a season every year is going to have it's cost if we don't get stability, eventually Wilson is going to get hit one to many times or land the wrong way.

iigakusei

Reaction score
One thing I will never understand is why we don't run more rollouts to take advantage of Wilson's mobility and change up the area for the defense to attack.

Ozzy

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":jumtdmh3 said:
I must be the only one that kind of agrees with Bevell. Wilson likes to scramble and leave the pocket too early. The line is young, yes. But when Wilson scrambles to one side, he doesn't see one of his WR's open on the side his back is facing.

The amount of sacks Wilson has accrued is due to the line being young and gaining chemistry. The more chemistry and experience the line has they will learn to become better blockers and have more endurance to protect Wilson.

In my opinion, Wilson's scrambling creates pressure on the line to block the direction he is going, and that creates a mis-match for the opposing d-line because the line doesn't know where Wilson is going, they are blocking him, but the defensive linemen know where he's going and can expose the young line with the pressuring.

Do you blame Wilson for occasionally leaving the pocket a little early? He doesn't have a choice 40% of the time as his line completely collapses. This is why I can never agree with Bevell on this. So does Wilson leave early sometimes? Of course. Is it his fault? Not really. This just fits into Bevell's reputation of never taking personal accountability for any problems on offense.

The line did play better against the Bengals. If they can keep it up I would guess RW will slowly start to trust them more.

rideaducati

Reaction score
iigakusei":1gqbp97z said:
One thing I will never understand is why we don't run more rollouts to take advantage of Wilson's mobility and change up the area for the defense to attack.

Defensive ends are rushing to contain Russell and are continually standing where Russell would be rolling out to. Rollouts won't work until Russell starts beating teams from the pocket and forcing defensive ends to try to get to him rather than containing him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
austinslater25":9wglrpd6 said:
dumbrabbit":9wglrpd6 said:

Do you blame Wilson for occasionally leaving the pocket a little early? He doesn't have a choice 40% of the time as his line completely collapses. This is why I can never agree with Bevell on this. So does Wilson leave early sometimes? Of course. Is it his fault? Not really. This just fits into Bevell's reputation of never taking personal accountability for any problems on offense.

The line did play better against the Bengals. If they can keep it up I would guess RW will slowly start to trust them more.

I blame Russell for bailing out of the pocket 20 yards in the wrong direction when he could take three steps forward and be free and have a clear view of his receivers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bevell could say "you have to understand, the world is round and the sky is blue"..............and you guys would make a thread about it.

Yes, an NFL QB has to trust his O-line, the entire offensive scheme is predicated on that fundamental truth.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
austinslater25":1g4aqbdl said:
dumbrabbit":1g4aqbdl said:

This line is one of the youngest in history, naturally the line will collapse quickly, it's a caveat. I still believe that by the end of the season this line will be really good.

Do I blame Wilson for occasionally leaving the pocket early? Mostly yes. That is his tendency, I'll agree. but I've seen plenty of times this season a wide open receiver was missed because he scrambled to one side of the field and didn't trust his linemen to do the job.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Oh look another Bevell thread.

What’s he supposed to say? "wilson can't trust the O-line, so don't expect any throws from the pocket"

Bevell is right. He really has no choice but to trust the protection. If he doesn't and bails earlier than he needs to -- it's only going to hurt the passing game.

Is it ideal? Is the pass protection good? Of course not. But Wilson has to trust it unless we want to give up on the passing game.

Some members of this board are trying too hard to be negative. There are reasons to be critical of DB. But just picking on every word he says and twisting it to fit an agenda is ridiculous.

AVL

Reaction score
If you have been hating on Bevell for multiple seasons, please stop wasting your/our time and move up the ladder to Pete and John.

northseahawk

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if u put 5 all pro olineman out there, RW has to panic and run. He is looking to run rather pass. If it was vise versa, it would have been a killer. His style worked for a couple years, but teams have figured him out now.
Just watching Brees and only wish we had a qb who actually is willing to pass.
Reviewing videos after videos shows that he has time and wide open recievers but refuses to throw it and start scrambling. It's getting annoying and frustrating.
If this crap continues, you will hear of players expressing their frustration. Atleast it's clear why Pete wants undrafted wrs because they will not rush to complaining about RWs frustrating style of play.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
These are his statements, did you read the article ?

He made the thread I just posted the link, 39 percent of the time he gets nailed or is unable to make a throw due to the line.

If you were in the circus and were the model that the knife throwing guy was throwing knives around and he was only 60 percent accurate how would you feel? What would your trust level be? Or the guys that catch on the Trapeze, if he missed 40 percent of the time? Then have a guy like Bevell come up and say trust them, eventually they will get better.

Granted these are extreme, but to show that your asking someone to put their livelihood in the hands of those that have proven themselves incapable at this juncture of doing their job is asking a lot. If Wilson were to get injured what would Bevell say? He should have ran instead of trusting them or recognized the breakdown?

Again blame the player instead of his scheme or adaption to create passing lanes or hot reads given the circumstances.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":talfosnn said:
Oh look another Bevell thread.

What’s he supposed to say? "wilson can't trust the O-line, so don't expect any throws from the pocket"

Bevell is right. He really has no choice but to trust the protection. If he doesn't and bails earlier than he needs to -- it's only going to hurt the passing game.

Is it ideal? Is the pass protection good? Of course not. But Wilson has to trust it unless we want to give up on the passing game.

Some members of this board are trying too hard to be negative. There are reasons to be critical of DB. But just picking on every word he says and twisting it to fit an agenda is ridiculous.

Maybe he can own up to his lack of creativity and adjustments and coaching of the line and that Wilson is in survival mode almost every play.

Yes it's a Bevell thread based on a article and statements made by Bevell blaming Wilson for the lack of offensive production.

Also, when is Bevell going to start trusting Wilson? We see that in hurry up and two minute when the plays are being called by Wilson the offense moves much more fluidly, could there be something there as well?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
rideaducati":tlr2p85y said:
iigakusei":tlr2p85y said:

Defensive ends are rushing to contain Russell and are continually standing where Russell would be rolling out to. Rollouts won't work until Russell starts beating teams from the pocket and forcing defensive ends to try to get to him rather than containing him.
OMG give this man a gold star . This is absolutely 100% correct until he starts beating teams from the pocket this will be a continue trend

iigakusei

Reaction score
rideaducati":3bopzdax said:
iigakusei":3bopzdax said:

Great point - I just find it frustrating watching QB's like Brees rollout and hit a wide open TE on the run and make it look so easy, but your point about beating teams from the pocket first makes total sense.