Really? O Line and Wilson per Bevell.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3kgfze5l said:
Oh look another Bevell thread.

What’s he supposed to say? "wilson can't trust the O-line, so don't expect any throws from the pocket"

Bevell is right. He really has no choice but to trust the protection. If he doesn't and bails earlier than he needs to -- it's only going to hurt the passing game.

Is it ideal? Is the pass protection good? Of course not. But Wilson has to trust it unless we want to give up on the passing game.

I was going to post something similar, but I don't fully agree with the sentiments. I don't think the main issue is Russ bailing too early this year, I think he's improved on that and whilst he still does it, I'll take the good with the bad because the former often exceeds the latter when he's making plays with his feet.

I seldom see Bevell drawing attention to himself, it's like the coaching staff are infallible; which is dumb. It's always 'Russ needs to trust his guys, or 'Russ needs to get the ball out quicker'. How about 'we need to exploit matchups better' or 'we need to call plays that cater to our inexperienced O-line' - we achieved that in the running game last week, i hope our passing game can make the leap. Too many times are our receivers not getting their head round before the pressure comes, or Jimmy Graham's in blocking on important passing plays.

I think Russ needs to trust his receivers more than his linemen.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2nv8ox27 said:
rideaducati":2nv8ox27 said:
iigakusei":2nv8ox27 said:
One thing I will never understand is why we don't run more rollouts to take advantage of Wilson's mobility and change up the area for the defense to attack.

Defensive ends are rushing to contain Russell and are continually standing where Russell would be rolling out to. Rollouts won't work until Russell starts beating teams from the pocket and forcing defensive ends to try to get to him rather than containing him.
OMG give this man a gold star . This is absolutely 100% correct until he starts beating teams from the pocket this will be a continue trend

On any given passing play is there a pocket? Maybe.

Seriously, trying to get the most productivity out of RW with the least amount of input and work.

Largent80

Reaction score
Russel has said he trusts bevells play calls. Maybe he should just start freelancing every play. Then we would see magic happen.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
It's poor wording by Bevell, but I think what he's saying can be translated into a sentence:

"Wilson needs to stop bailing when he's not being pressured."

If he had phrased it that way I think it's impossible to disagree with.

That said:

1) I question his decision to say this to the media, unless he's trying to reach Wilson through the media as a last resort (still almost always a bad strategy IMO).

2) It's werid for him to be saying it now, as in my watching this is something that this season Wilson has finally actually started to get better ay (although still not close to being all the way there).

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":29xhexyj said:
It's poor wording by Bevell, but I think what he's saying can be translated into a sentence:

"Wilson needs to stop bailing when he's not being pressured."

If he had phrased it that way I think it's impossible to disagree with.

That said:

1) I question his decision to say this to the media, unless he's trying to reach Wilson through the media as a last resort (still almost always a bad strategy IMO).

2) It's werid for him to be saying it now, as in my watching this is something that this season Wilson has finally actually started to get better ay (although still not close to being all the way there).

That would have been an even dumber thing to say. QB's have to anticipate pressure, in this case, Russ is (sometimes mistakenly) anticipating it a lot of the time. I don't blame him, it's rare that all our OL puts it together, collectively. He's taking shots from everywhere, and plenty of times when he stands tall and delivers a throw.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Bullcrap. That attitude will have him suffer a catastrophic injury. He always needs to be on guard and watching for the free rusher bearing down on him that the OL couldn't handle.

It is such a shame that he needs to spend so much energy making sure he doesn't get killed. Imagine if he could apply that energy to looking for his potential pass targets.

Bevell once again with an utterly tone deaf comment. I really think our only hope is that Paul Allen gets fed up with it all and orders a change.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yet another instance of Bevell willing to point out the weaknesses of others and still not acknowledging any of his own mistakes.

I wanted to support the guy last year, but that character trait just irritates me.

So on to his advice, is it valid?

The problem Bevell faces is he has no credibility. He might be right (I think he is but for the complete inconsistency in the quality of protection from down to down) but since he has never fixed his own failures and is barely competent - it is hard to take his criticism.

I would bet that Russ is just shaking him off, but hopefully we move to the next stage where Russ gets upset with him calling him out while consistently giving him crap playcalling to work with. Hopefully he then actively starts campaigning for a new OC.

There are three scenarios where we get a new OC, one Pete decides (unlikely as he is ridiculously if not ludicrously loyal), two Paul decides (again unlikely because Paul is pretty hands off), and finally Russ demands it. We are going to need #3 or this team isn't going to win near as much in the future, because the defense simply isn't built to carry the offense like it was able to before.

Wilson has the clout and the ability to demand a change at coordinator, and hopefully at some point Bevell will piss him off with the fingerpointing to the point he realizes he is being held back with a substandard OC.

rideaducati

Reaction score
iigakusei":303592g0 said:
rideaducati":303592g0 said:
iigakusei":303592g0 said:
One thing I will never understand is why we don't run more rollouts to take advantage of Wilson's mobility and change up the area for the defense to attack.

Defensive ends are rushing to contain Russell and are continually standing where Russell would be rolling out to. Rollouts won't work until Russell starts beating teams from the pocket and forcing defensive ends to try to get to him rather than containing him.

Great point - I just find it frustrating watching QB's like Brees rollout and hit a wide open TE on the run and make it look so easy, but your point about beating teams from the pocket first makes total sense.

Brees is a master at stepping UP in the pocket, so a rollout is so surprising to opponents that they work well. Teams rush Brees to get to him in the pocket because he does most of his damage from there which leaves the rollout WIDE open. When/if Russell ever learns to step up in the pocket on a regular basis and starts making defenses try to get to him, the rollout pass will be devastating to opponents.

rcaido

Reaction score
I always thought scrambling is Wilson biggest asset...Not only does he save his limbs from being destroyed, he wears out the defense. I thought it was more strategic then not trusting the o-line. Then have Lynch ground & pound.

These are the plays i really enjoy in offense, sometimes they dont work but its a good trade off when it does.

Bevell needs to just shut his mouth & be thankful for the players he has.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I guess the OP would rather hear coachspeak like you get from Belichick, where nothing at all is said.

What Bev said is so benign that I can't believe a thread was made of it unless you're on a witch hunt that spins everything in a negative light, which this B.S. obviously is. News flash: There's 11 players on both sides of the ball and to be successful, each man has to trust the other 10.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Agreed that 22 Million a year is his leverage, Wilson's persona is one not to challenge openly though, why I think the general opinion is everything is fine and dandy, but going back to last year Wilson has went above Bevells head to ask Pete to run a play or two when he see's something. Now having to do that tells me that his OC and him don't see eye to eye on things if he has to go above his head. a good OC would call that play. Unless Pete has much more control of the offense then we are led to believe.

rideaducati

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2f8gx1hp said:
Yet another instance of Bevell willing to point out the weaknesses of others and still not acknowledging any of his own mistakes.

I wanted to support the guy last year, but that character trait just irritates me.

The problem Bevell faces is he has no credibility. He might be right (I think he is but for the complete inconsistency in the quality of protection from down to down) but since he has never fixed his own failures and is barely competent - it is hard to take his criticism.

I would bet that Russ is just shaking him off, but hopefully we move to the next stage where Russ gets upset with him calling him out while consistently giving him crap playcalling to work with. Hopefully he then actively starts campaigning for a new OC.

There are three scenarios where we get a new OC, one Pete decides (unlikely as he is ridiculously if not ludicrously loyal), two Paul decides (again unlikely because Paul is pretty hands off), and finally Russ demands it. We are going to need #3 or this team isn't going to win near as much in the future, because the defense simply isn't built to carry the offense like it was able to before.

Wilson has the clout and the ability to demand a change at coordinator, and hopefully at some point Bevell will piss him off with the fingerpointing to the point he realizes he is being held back with a substandard OC.

Seeing how Russell wasn't "Pete's guy" in the draft and Bevell was handpicked by Pete, Pete might just side with Bevell because Russell has issues that a new coordinator isn't going to fix. Russell needs to be better.

mrt144

Reaction score
rideaducati":25wkncpp said:
TwistedHusky":25wkncpp said:

Seeing how Russell wasn't "Pete's guy" in the draft and Bevell was handpicked by Pete, Pete might just side with Bevell because Russell has issues that a new coordinator isn't going to fix. Russell needs to be better.

How does one just get better?

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
He was hired by Pete, but he was TJacks guy....................

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":1unk8tis said:
Bevell: Russell Wilson has to “continually trust” offensive linemen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-has-to-continually-trust-offensive-linemen/

This is why we can't have nice things on offense, trust is earned, you just don't give it freely especially when it's your body getting slammed to the turf by 300 pound men.

When your sacked or unable to throw 39 percent of the time that's a pretty good reason to say I don't trust them.

I think Bevell is a clown but he's right, Russell bails on a clean pocket a lot of times at the smallest hint of pressure.

That in itself is alarming though, I think most of it comes as a result of taking a ton of hits already in his career. This is what happened to the likes of Tim Couch, David Carr and most recently RG3.

Case in point though, if Russell steps into the pocket on this.. game over, we win.

rxbzjq9.gif

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe we need to pull out the Kurt Warner drill for Russ, Kill Kurt drill where he had to make reads and throw quickly, speed up his processor and decision making while the beasts are unleashed at him. Warner had stated it made him a much better QB.

lobohawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":1hqfi0y9 said:
It doesn't matter if u put 5 all pro olineman out there, RW has to panic and run. He is looking to run rather pass. If it was vise versa, it would have been a killer. His style worked for a couple years, but teams have figured him out now.
Just watching Brees and only wish we had a qb who actually is willing to pass.
Reviewing videos after videos shows that he has time and wide open recievers but refuses to throw it and start scrambling. It's getting annoying and frustrating.
If this crap continues, you will hear of players expressing their frustration. Atleast it's clear why Pete wants undrafted wrs because they will not rush to complaining about RWs frustrating style of play.

Sorry this is nonsense. He had a great line at UW and rarely ran. He's learned to run more in the Pros as he acclimates to the the tougher Ds and his relatively weaker OL.

rideaducati

Reaction score
mrt144":1u5d5xjs said:
rideaducati":1u5d5xjs said:
TwistedHusky":1u5d5xjs said:

How does one just get better?

Russell has access to more film than we do and he is watching and seeing everything we can see. He also has coaches pointing out the right things, so maybe he can't get better and it's time to look for a QB that can. We're seeing Russell making the same mistakes he has been making since day one and defenses have adjusted to take away what he does best. What we haven't seen is the adjustments from Russell to counter the changes in the way defenses play him. He has had plenty of opportunities to show where he has improved, but he hasn't quite made those improvements into consistencies. We see them on occasion, but he still needs to be better. I think it's coming along and there is no viable alternative, so we just have to be patient. Changing offensive coordinators isn't a good solution until Russell breaks his bad habits. Taking those bad habits to another coordinator won't help anything.

StoneCold

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":287b08j0 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":287b08j0 said:
Oh look another Bevell thread.

What’s he supposed to say? "wilson can't trust the O-line, so don't expect any throws from the pocket"

Bevell is right. He really has no choice but to trust the protection. If he doesn't and bails earlier than he needs to -- it's only going to hurt the passing game.

Is it ideal? Is the pass protection good? Of course not. But Wilson has to trust it unless we want to give up on the passing game.

I was going to post something similar, but I don't fully agree with the sentiments. I don't think the main issue is Russ bailing too early this year, I think he's improved on that and whilst he still does it, I'll take the good with the bad because the former often exceeds the latter when he's making plays with his feet.

I seldom see Bevell drawing attention to himself, it's like the coaching staff are infallible; which is dumb. It's always 'Russ needs to trust his guys, or 'Russ needs to get the ball out quicker'. How about 'we need to exploit matchups better' or 'we need to call plays that cater to our inexperienced O-line' - we achieved that in the running game last week, i hope our passing game can make the leap. Too many times are our receivers not getting their head round before the pressure comes, or Jimmy Graham's in blocking on important passing plays.

I think Russ needs to trust his receivers more than his linemen.

I have nothing to add, but feel compelled to say I also agree with Bevell. In addition, the line needs to block better, receivers need to get better separation and Russell needs to trust his receivers. Then we will win every game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson needs to trust his linemen, but Bevell needs to install plays that set his linemen up to succeed.