Cowherd "RW smartest QB ever"

LargentFan

Reaction score
I like Cowherd. He's wrong a lot, but so is everyone else. He's loved Wilson through thick and thin, though.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like cowherd too. Yeah he pisses me off at times but I want him to do that. He gets killed on here but I love his show in short spurts.

Cartire

Reaction score
Not a fan of Cowherd at all. But I did notice he must have had a midlife crisis while switching over to FS1. He decided to dye up the old mop top. Good for him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Russ never gets hit? Is he on crack? I can list a dozen times he has gotten smoked.

But, nanobubbles...

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah he has been crushed a few times but he does a better job than just about anyone else. He took a few more this year early on when the line was in shambles.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I often wonder why there is such reluctance around the league to call him elite. Is it simply because he has to earn the title by putting in the time? Is 4 years too soon to call a QB elite? I think that's ridiculous. It can't be the size thing can it? I know there is a bias to consider Russell a "true" quarterback until he shows he can be a pocket passer. Well this past month not only has he shown he can be a pocket passer but he's done it while blowing up historical records AND without Marshawn Lynch who many thought was the real reason behind his success.

All this kid has done since he's been in the league is show that he is as elite quarterback as you can get.

Yet the fools will continue to debate if he's even worthy of the title.

At least some are beginning to wake from their slumbers.

McGruff

Reaction score
Aros":1sq72oix said:
I often wonder why there is such reluctance around the league to call him elite. Is it simply because he has to earn the title by putting in the time? Is 4 years too soon to call a QB elite? I think that's ridiculous. It can't be the size thing can it? I know there is a bias to consider Russell a "true" quarterback until he shows he can be a pocket passer. Well this past month not only has he shown he can be a pocket passer but he's done it while blowing up historical records AND without Marshawn Lynch who many thought was the real reason behind his success.

All this kid has done since he's been in the league is show that he is as elite quarterback as you can get.

There are artificial limits on how many elite qbs can be in the league at one time. Until Brady, Manning and Brees retire, there is no.room.in the club.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Aros":33i5h94b said:

There really is no sound logic for it. If Luck had a remote semblance of Wilson's resume he would be labled not just elite but the best QB in the league anf possibly to ever put on a helmut and it wouldn't matter if he was fielding the best offense, defense, running game and coaching.

My feeling is the only reason he shouldn't be in the conversation with Brady, Rogers, Brees and Manning is simply because he only has 3.5 years on the books. Even then how he has stacked up against all of those guys in thier early careers should be a common topic around the NFL.

Seems to me the NFL is missing out on a fantastic marketing tool. People love superstars. Espeacially ones that are humble and Wilson is both.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
The reluctance is people have the perception of him that he can't be elite and it simply just takes people a long long time to shake that. Conversely, it took almost the same amount of time for most people to realize Andrew Luck looks more like a young Matt Stafford than Peyton Manning.

I don't remember many people calling Brady elite unanimously until maybe his 2007 season where he put up 50 TDs. That legitimized all of his Super Bowl appearances. This year is kinda like that year for Russell. He is putting the team on his back and demonstrating that no one in the league plays the quarterback position better.

HawkGA

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":13tf94br said:
Cowherd is the worst.

This is demonstrably false. Listen to the Dan Lebatard Show. Listen to the morning crew Fox Sports has. Complain about Cowherd all you want but there are plenty of sports radio hosts who seem to make it their goal every day to try to be the worst. And they do a much better job of it than Cowherd does.

HawkGA

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":28n50aye said:
Conversely, it took almost the same amount of time for most people to realize Andrew Luck looks more like a young Matt Stafford than Peyton Manning.

Ooooh, I like that.

HawkerD

Reaction score
To admit RW is elite you have to admit you are wrong. Thats the hardest thing for people to do. We have a phycologial addiction to being right and virtually zero pundits thought RW could be a starter in this league.

The pick was panned. Everyone except for the seahawks braintrust thought Flynn should have started. when it worked they had to pin the success of the team on the Defense and run game and discount RW's contribution. Finally 4 years later RW begins to get his.

In the End RW will have a hand full of rings. There will be no denying his effectiveness. The old gaurd will bow down.

Cartire

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":12gdbrmx said:
HawkerD":12gdbrmx said:
To admit RW is elite you have to admit you are wrong. Thats the hardest thing for people to do. We have a phycologial addiction to being right and virtually zero pundits thought RW could be a starter in this league.

The pick was panned. Everyone except for the seahawks braintrust thought Flynn should have started. when it worked they had to pin the success of the team on the Defense and run game and discount RW's contribution. Finally 4 years later RW begins to get his.

In the End RW will have a hand full of rings. There will be no denying his effectiveness. The old gaurd will bow down.

This is revisionist history though. There were loads of people that thought RW was the better choice, especially by the time he was actually announced as starting.

Lets be real fair here, "Loads" is extremely subjective. Every prospect has his supporters who think he'll be the best. But the national narrative was that we BOMBED the draft, and RW was one of the reasons why.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165 ... -draft-day

remember this doozy.

"As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1r0ix2gk said:
Russ never gets hit? Is he on crack? I can list a dozen times he has gotten smoked.

But, nanobubbles...

He has, but it's not the step up in the pocket 4-5 times a game getting destroyed vulnerable type of hit that knocks QB's out of games........it's the blindside but still have time to turn and protect himself kind of hits.

Mick063

Reaction score
HawkerD":2t13gnf4 said:

This is partially true, mostly true outside the fan base. As for Seahawk fans, many of us had completely moved on from Flynn after witnessing Wilson's fantastic rookie pre season. For this organization, It was the best rookie QB pre season I have ever witnessed. I knew he had it in him, and earlier this season, I was extremely frustrated that he had not progressed as much as I knew he was capable of.

I took the point of view that the scramble drill had hampered his development and that he grew too dependent upon extending plays. The opponents were game planning for it (spy/contain within tackle box/ blitz pressure up the middle) and the effectiveness was drastically reduced. You simply cannot reliably convert 3rd downs with chaotic/ unscripted plays. The scramble drill is great for an occasional explosive play. Not so much as a staple to convert third down.......and it showed statistically.

As for right now? The scramble drill is just another tool in the toolbox. Something that opponents must spend time to prepare for with a chance that they might not see it at all.

Now they must prepare for:

Read option
Moving pocket
Bootleg/Waggle
Hot routes
Scramble drill/contain/spy.
3/5/7 step drop (and the corresponding receiver routes).

No wonder Bevel is suddenly looking like a genius. There isn't enough time in the week to adequately prepare for all of that.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Mike Rob had said that it wasn't even easy for Wilson, even if he was presumed the starter, the team didn't have his back yet. Mike Rob mentioned that Wilson overhead some of the conversation from his teammates that was questioning if they need the rookie to start because they were losing games with him. The front office love Wilson, his teammates were unsure if he was the answer. Mike Rob said that fired Wilson up, and you know the rest of the history. Even his teammates had doubted him at one point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1rv1e1ij said:
Mike Rob had said that it wasn't even easy for Wilson, even if he was presumed the starter, the team didn't have his back yet. Mike Rob mentioned that Wilson overhead some of the conversation from his teammates that was questioning if they need the rookie to start because they were losing games with him. The front office love Wilson, his teammates were unsure if he was the answer. Mike Rob said that fired Wilson up, and you know the rest of the history. Even his teammates had doubted him at one point.

Wilson has ALWAYS had that "this guy's too good to be true he must be a phony" personality. So I could see how some teammates ("He's not black enough") didn't take to his style right away.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Its very odd to me that it seems everyone is off cloud 9 especially when Russell Wilson is making such an historic run.

Two years ago, I wrote a post that headlined, "Russell Wilson is Not Elite, Not Yet"

Pretty much Tical and I were torn to pieces for 7+ pages and the thread got shacked. I cant remember what Tical argued.

But the gist of my argument was that Wilson hasnt established elite consistency for 4+ years to vet his status.

That he still needed to clean up some things in his game mostly the negative plays as well as making plays from the pocket.

I thought 2014 was going to be his breakout year into that elite tier but I think Wilson is going to be well thought of moving forward, especially if he carries this team on his back and passes his way to a third SB at continued historical effeciency pushing his dominant run to 11 games. XL being the the 11th.

I think if Russ can do that, no doubt he's one of the best in the NFL moving forward, if not the best especially amongst the under 32 crowd.