O-line Exceeding all my expectations.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Never thought i would be saying this but jesus lord! I don't know if the refs where just cutting them slack put no false starts, no holding , no drive killing penalties. almost surreal. And to top it off they protected Wilson. In fact on some plays I though wilson felt so uncomfortable because he had so much time in the pocket. I think it threw him off as much as it did me.

If our o-line is this solid already in the year, might as well just pencil us in for the superbowl right now.

Only one that needs to figure his shit out is Bevell. Currently the weakest area of our team right now is offensive play calling. He regressed to his old ways in the first quarter but really got his shit together for the rest of the game.

mrt144

Reaction score
It's solid against teams that aren't known for their D lines, which I guess makes them average? Average is good enough.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mrt144":3egphsvj said:
It's solid against teams that aren't known for their D lines, which I guess makes them average? Average is good enough.

They've also been serviceable against NYJ, MIA, and STL - arguably the three toughest pass rushes in the league.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
blazen2392":22n0xtk3 said:
Never thought i would be saying this but jesus lord! I don't know if the refs where just cutting them slack put no false starts, no holding , no drive killing penalties. almost surreal. And to top it off they protected Wilson. In fact on some plays I though wilson felt so uncomfortable because he had so much time in the pocket. I think it threw him off as much as it did me.

If our o-line is this solid already in the year, might as well just pencil us in for the superbowl right now.

Only one that needs to figure his shit out is Bevell. Currently the weakest area of our team right now is offensive play calling. He regressed to his old ways in the first quarter but really got his shit together for the rest of the game.
You had me until that last paragraph. The first quarter had the best balance of run/pass, by far.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Yes it was cool to watch a game where the opposing team's quarterback was getting harassed and smacked down more than ours.

kobebryant

Reaction score
mrt144":21dz5e90 said:

I thought they won their matchup with NYJ dline, which is one of the best positional units in the league.

Largent80

Reaction score
I just re-watched the game and Sowell had a really good game. Ifedi is a beast. Britt has made me eat tons of crow. Glow is getting better, even Gilliam had a decent game.

Jville

Reaction score
A weekly tread for trash talking is inevitable.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2mk7cdf6 said:
mrt144":2mk7cdf6 said:

They've also been serviceable against NYJ, MIA, and STL - arguably the three toughest pass rushes in the league.

After the Atlanta game, our OL is ranked 12th in the league for sacks allowed. Thats actually better than average and considered good, as Montana hit it on the head: we've already faced the toughest DL's in the league.

Sadly, we're ranked 26th in rushing. I know some of that is Russ not getting his carries, but it still bothers me that we can't sustain a traditional run game.

I also noticed no offenslive line penalties. That's amazing. The silver lining is that we're better in pass protection that I thought we'd be at this point of the year, and we're getting technically more sound, thus less penalties (I attribute the penalties to strength of competition and coming off of the bye). If we can build off of that and get better in the run game, I'm great with it.

I worry about our run game though. We need to get better by the end of the year. We're going to GB in the winter, and the playoffs will likely be outdoors. That means tough defense and a good run game wins games more often than a great passing game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hawks46":27cru8j0 said:
MontanaHawk05":27cru8j0 said:
mrt144":27cru8j0 said:

After the Atlanta game, our OL is ranked 12th in the league for sacks allowed. Thats actually better than average and considered good, as Montana hit it on the head: we've already faced the toughest DL's in the league.

Sadly, we're ranked 26th in rushing. I know some of that is Russ not getting his carries, but it still bothers me that we can't sustain a traditional run game.

I also noticed no offenslive line penalties. That's amazing. The silver lining is that we're better in pass protection that I thought we'd be at this point of the year, and we're getting technically more sound, thus less penalties (I attribute the penalties to strength of competition and coming off of the bye). If we can build off of that and get better in the run game, I'm great with it.

I worry about our run game though. We need to get better by the end of the year. We're going to GB in the winter, and the playoffs will likely be outdoors. That means tough defense and a good run game wins games more often than a great passing game.

The only way I see them playing outside in the playoffs is if we are at home or GB gets #1 seed. Right now it would seem that the Vikings and Dallas with both be hosting playoff games, and if ATL holds on they are ALSO inside.

GB and Washington are the only 2 teams I could see that we would play outside right now if we were to play outside away in the playoffs but both are behind in their division

Threedee

Reaction score
I'm usually pissed after ugly wins, like I was after the Dolphins game. I honestly didn't have any complaints after we survived the Falcons' comeback.

Fade

Reaction score
Everyone should be ecstatic given the circumstances.

LT - A career backup
LG Essentially a Rookie
C A failure at RT & LG
RG - Rookie
RT 2nd year starting at position, Undrafted - TE convert

On paper that looks like an absolute disaster, worse than last year.

Instead they are performing at a modest level, with a high chance of becoming something special on the interior.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think it helps that they know where RW is. I still rather have a healthy RW but I think this style makes it a lot easier for the O-line

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sdog1981":36j5u53r said:
This is called a shifted baseline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shifting_baseline

Oline play has been so bad for so long that a person no longer knows what a normal Oline looks like. The offense was bad yesterday, the oline blew assignments.
SMH, I guess since you pulled that from Wikipedia it must be so with our OL.

One sack 'allowed' because of Russ holding the ball too long doesn't constitute a 'bad' performance, no matter how you slice it. The week spot was Ifedi's sometimes inconsistent run blocking, but that's to be expected from a rook with his reg. season snap count. Push agendas much? Open your eyes.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":2uiqruxy said:
MontanaHawk05":2uiqruxy said:
mrt144":2uiqruxy said:

That might come down to what Cable calls not enough 'physical presence' at R and L tackle spots. Seems like a hard thing to solve without replacing the players.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The line has been more than serviceable which is better than we could've hoped for before the season. Ifedi really looked strong and Britt has been the most enjoyable surprise.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Britt at center has been the MVP of the line so far. Underperforming at RT, managing to be even worse at LG and then being able to turn it around and become an above average center is something nobody could've seen coming.

He's helped a lot though by Glowinski and Ifedi, a second year player and a rookie. They can be inconsistent at times due to lack of experience but they've definitely played well. They have very high ceilings, especially Ifedi.

Gilliam and Sowell aren't great but not disasters by any means.