Pete Carroll "They doubled Jimmy really well"

ivotuk

Reaction score
The podcasts links aren't up yet, but I'll post them as soon as they are.

Let this be a lesson though, when a game plan goes a certain way, and they don't throw or do throw to someone, there is a reason for it.

Like someone said earlier, they don't throw the ball to certain people for participation reasons. They take what the defense gives them.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to throw to Kearse as the alternative.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2d4slw5s said:

Eh I think they adjusted. They obviously wanted Russ throwing to someone like Kearse in single coverage instead of Jimmy. I didn't see Kearse running any of those man beater routes later in the game, Richardson and Lockett got many more of those looks.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2v1j32cr said:

I agree that Kearse is on a downward spiral. And his drop-rate is horrible this year. But let's not pretend that if he caught those targets, we wouldnt all be singing a different tune today about him. He's proven himself over the last couple years that he can and does make great catches in traffic. So its not hard to see why RW was trying to take advantage of his easy matchups.

It obviously wasnt working though going 2/7 and they didnt really target him much in the second half. But like always, hindsight is 20/20. If he makes those catches then there is no discussion today on why he was in the gameplan.

I do see him getting less snaps though as the year goes on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I get that they doubled Graham. I was positive they were going to do so.

We do have other options. Seriously, all Tanner McEvoy has done is make big plays. He's 6'6" with a really good vertical jump and good hands.

Everything is condensed the closer you get. You start to see players' quickness negated in the shorter distances, where guys that are bigger have a definite advantage. The ball is coming faster so jump balls are harder to defend. Baldwin disproves this a bit, but watch all the passes forced to Lockett in the end zone from short range this year.

My problem with Bevell is we trot out Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse and Graham. There's very little variation, and we run them on the same damn routes every time. Trot out McEvoy. Try something they aren't ready for, especially on that 2 point conversion.

Because of personnel inflexibility, I've seen more than enough fades thrown to Baldwin and Lockett. it's not their strong point from the 5 yard line, but when you do the same damn thing all the time, Wilson doesn't have much of a choice once they take Graham away. A quick slant or out to McEvoy on that 2 pointer.....anyone think that has a better chance ?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I hope teams keep selling their soul to stop Graham.

Kearse aside (he is not having a good season, clearly)...

Baldwin, Lockett (getting healthier and healthier), Prosise, Willson/Vannett, Richadson, Rawls coming back.

We will kill you in many other ways.

All that matters is the W, not stats. Scoring 31 in New England is awesome.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":157b7i02 said:
Hawks46":157b7i02 said:

We do have other options. Seriously, all Tanner McEvoy has done is make big plays. He's 6'6" with a really good vertical jump and good hands.

Everything is condensed the closer you get. You start to see players' quickness negated in the shorter distances, where guys that are bigger have a definite advantage. The ball is coming faster so jump balls are harder to defend. Baldwin disproves this a bit, but watch all the passes forced to Lockett in the end zone from short range this year.

My problem with Bevell is we trot out Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse and Graham. There's very little variation, and we run them on the same damn routes every time. Trot out McEvoy. Try something they aren't ready for, especially on that 2 point conversion.

Because of personnel inflexibility, I've seen more than enough fades thrown to Baldwin and Lockett. it's not their strong point from the 5 yard line, but when you do the same damn thing all the time, Wilson doesn't have much of a choice once they take Graham away. A quick slant or out to McEvoy on that 2 pointer.....anyone think that has a better chance ?

We scored 31 on the Pats in New England... what are you on about?

People want to find an excuse to fill a narrative about Bevell. Even in a epic win he loses.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawks46":62tp7202 said:

I appreciate your football knowledge, and this board is for discussion, but it's just not that easy. What about all the times the McEvoy has been in there and been ineffective? What about the times that he has run the wrong routes, what about ball security? Because that's what it's really all about.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
A lot of the passes Kearse dropped yesterday weren't the best thrown balls.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I have no problem with how Kearse is playing. For every dropped pass he has, he has also made catches that no other Seahawk would be able to bring down.

byau

Reaction score
Kearse is best when he keeps the ball close, hauls the ball in, and hangs on to it and then whatever happens after that happens.

It's when he tries to extend his arms that things get dropped. I think two early misses off his fingertips, and one other miss where he caught the ball but then tried to extend as he landed. He's just not that type of receiver says the eye test

hburn21

Reaction score
Hawks46":25zwigk4 said:

I'd love to see McEvoy get kearses snaps but he wasn't active yesterday, just fell victim to the numbers game of keeping more DB's active

mikeak

Reaction score
Moving the ball was not an issue

Scoring in redzone was. Not the first game. Need to fix that. If we have what would be normal execution in the redzone we come away with 39+ points....

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Doubling Jimmy is a victory for the offense. It opens up a ton, both in the passing game and the running. If Wilson threw a couple of those Kearse targets a bit better, the score is even higher than before.

Laloosh

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1dmw5zwy said:
Doubling Jimmy is a victory for the offense. It opens up a ton, both in the passing game and the running. If Wilson threw a couple of those Kearse targets a bit better, the score is even higher than before.

That throw to the flat (to Lockett) would have been an easy TD as well if Russ throws a better ball. Oh well, we won w/out playing our best game.

Encouraging.

Cartire

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2g05sofd said:

If Kearse doesnt try and reach for the goal line, its a catch and we are 1st down on the 2 yard line. Instead, he got cute and tried to reach before he had secured the ball all the way and we had to go for the FG.

bandiger

Reaction score
Can we all just agree that winning against the Pats when they were leading in the 4th is almost impossible. Quite an achievement really.

Boycie

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":ymtowvsz said:
The_Z_Man":ymtowvsz said:
Hawks46":ymtowvsz said:

We scored 31 on the Pats in New England... what are you on about?

People want to find an excuse to fill a narrative about Bevell. Even in a epic win he loses.

Bevell had a great game no doubt. the only one I didn't like was in the first qtr I believe, and we were 3 and 2 in NE territory, and he takes a shot downfield to the end zone. I was in my car picking up my kid, so I didn't see the play so maybe I'm talking out of my butt, but shouldn't we be trying to get the first down ala Brady and those 3rd and 1s?

mikeak

Reaction score
^ we did it later in the game on 3rd and 6

Put the ball on the 2 yard line or something.......... so you win some and you lose some