Are we switching to an up-tempo type offense?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just curious, seemed like we played a lot of up temp this pre season.

I for one, hope not and hope we only use it as a last resort. I like our SB offense of pounding the ground, punishing opposing defenses, wearing out that defense, keeping our defense fresh and most important, running out the clock and keeping those Brady, and Rodger led offenses off the field.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1nx5k2pp said:

I for one, hope not and hope we only use it as a last resort. I like our SB offense of pounding the ground, punishing opposing defenses, wearing out that defense, keeping our defense fresh and most important, running out the clock and keeping those Brady, and Rodger led offenses off the field.

That only works if you have the horses not sure we do. I want to win and if uptempo does that, then so be it. It also can help our oline and as a by product keep our QB form being killed

hburn21

Reaction score
I think it's less of an uptempo offense and more of a hurry to the line to prevent the defense from getting subs in. I thought we still thing we are running the same plays just getting on the ball faster

RussB

Reaction score
They have to play that way now, the times of just lining up in i form and singleback and pounding it with lynch are over. They have personel suited to they way they are playing now.

Baldwin- great all around reciever
Jimmy G- threat anywhere on the feild
P rich/lockett- speedy guys that can make plays all over the feild

Carson also looks like a dual threat . To play the ground and pound style would simply be not utilizing all the talent. We have a really underrated recieving core it just needs to be used correctly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I was happy to see so little time wasted. More time used means more letting the defense get set. A first down is far more valuable than running off an extra ten seconds.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2m8uterc said:

I don't think so.

What I think we're seeing is just a quicker tempo. If you notice, we're lining up our huddle just a handful of yards off the ball. We're getting the calls in quicker. And getting lined up quicker. I'd say it's more of an intentional speeding up of the initial play calling process. This gives Wilson more time to get to the line, and get a pre snap read.

It also gives us a better ability to catch defenses in between calls. Wilson showed an ability to get to the line, and then just kind of hold off on the call. Realistically, it's the kind of thing that mature QBs can execute. Demonstrates a really high level mastery of the plays and affords the ability to speed up the process of reading defenses.

And that jives with what we're seeing now. We get up there, and Russell is getting that ball out fast. He knows exactly where he's going with the ball. And not on just short patterns either. He's attacking the 8-15 yard box with regularity. So he's getting chunk plays without needing to have great protection.

In addition, it slows down the defensive rush when you have a 9-15 second window to snap the ball as opposed to when the snap clock is between 4 and zero. I'd liken it to a pitcher who effectively changes speeds up. I believe it's a complete mistake in thinking a rushing game means bleeding the clock down to near zero. Tempo (and change in tempo) is useful for both passing and running. If you can see the defense is gassed, or confused, ripping off a run in that case is still catching them at their weakest.

Being able to snap the ball early if there is an advantage is just smart. The best QBs in the game all do that (Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger). Being lined up early doesn't preclude one from letting the clock bleed. But it just gives you more opportunities to create advantages for every play if you're lined up quickly.

I'd also note, that it gives Seattle a better opportunity to correct an illegal formation without burning a timeout. There are just so many advantages a team can enjoy by being crisp on the play call and getting out of the huddle. Rhythm, Change of pace, Correcting mistakes. Reading the defense (including change in personnel). Calling audibles to match. Reduction in delay penalties. Reduction in wasted timeouts. So many advantages.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It seems like nearly every time we go to a two-minute (or, similar to up-tempo) offense during the normal part of a game (i.e., not in the last few minutes before the half or the end of the game), that we're wildly effective and almost always get a TD over the past few years.

sutz

Reaction score
If you mean "no huddle" I'd say no, we're not going there. But if you mean getting to the line quicker and getting set, yes they are working on that. That helps set a rhythm for the offense and helps timing and such.

I like it. I remember under Holmie, they were consistantly lining up at more than 10-12 on the snap clock. Gives the QB to look over the D, gives the line time to get set and make the call, and allows for an occasional quick snap to keep the D off balance.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Bobblehead":24d3mmy4 said:

The backs can't pound when the oline doesn't get a push.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Adjusting to what we have to work with.

And if it wins us games, so be it.

If not, back to the drawing board...

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/901554514322309120[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/901555482153725953[/tweet]

The offensive line had a good night with both run and pass in the sense that it is well ahead of last year. It certainly helps pass blocking when the QB has a night in which he gets the ball off and on it's way quickly. As the backfield settles in, play action will quicken and a more effective rhythm will emerge. Both the running game and passing game will benefit. The best is yet to come.

Josea16

Reaction score
154.0 with no play action? Ridiculous, 124.1 combined QR? I'm thinking Semiahmoo might be wrong about Wilson? 8)

Honestly, the three big differences I see on offense is it has faster tempo, stability on the OL and Russ obviously has taken that next step. quickly releasing the ball and other things. Example being he's turning into Fran Tarkington rather then Steve Young, he plans to be around another 15 years so I suggest you enjoy. He is choosing to scramble rather then run. With an average OL, that's deadly and adds 5-10 years to your career.

Josea16

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3hcfx0vy said:
We have pounders.. pound the ball.
They are just look at how many rushing plays they are attempting and how they are racking up serious rush yards and winning the TOP battle like 2-3 years ago. If they are healthy this could be like 2013 but because of the offense being world class and a top 5-7ish defense. Different method because Wilson is just at the start of his prime and the defense is aging.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Up tempo Offenses when working are terrific at wearing down our Opponents Defenses. However, if we go "3 and out", then our Defense has had inadequate time to rest. The ebb and flow of the game is key!!

Anthony!

Reaction score
On this team the best player we have on offense is our QB you build your offense around him period.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/901486328562335744[/tweet]

The most surprising number up there may be leading the league in passing offense. Compare that to last preseason when the team was already showing signs of ineptitude. The year before, they were at just 120.8 passing yards per game in the preseason. Their preseason best during the Russell Wilson era was 232 yards passing per game in 2013. Wilson appears to have taken the next step in his evolution that many of us have been waiting for. No player was more impressive Friday night than the Seahawks quarterback. He remained efficient, explosive, and accurate. He made a major leap in training camp a few weeks ago and has carried that certainty of play and production.

His passes are coming out quickly and decisively. One great example of his growth came on a nondescript play where, on 2nd and 10, he made a short throw to Kearse for a five yard gain. It was exactly the kind of play Wilson often eschews in favor of scrambling and looking for a larger gain. Taking the easy five yards there set up a far more manageable third down. That maturity is one of the key characteristics that separates young quarterbacks from more savvy signal callers.

[urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/08/morning-systems-go-seahawks-beat-chiefs-26-13.html[/urltargetblank]

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I can't find it now, but I'm certain I read about how the Seahawks huddle closer to the line than other teams, and get to the line faster than other teams, last year. I don't think this is new.

sutz

Reaction score
bigskydoc":hhj0aqp4 said:
I can't find it now, but I'm certain I read about how the Seahawks huddle closer to the line than other teams, and get to the line faster than other teams, last year. I don't think this is new.
I believe I heard the announcers saying that at one of the games. Not sure if it has shown up in print.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I hope up tempo means having 10 seconds on the clock or so, we have been too plagued by delay of games in the past, I don't see it really as up tempo as much as I see it as more efficient getting plays in and calling them in the huddle, up tempo we would be calling plays on the fly and no huddle or Wilson calling his own plays and a quick break from the huddle.