Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why not blame Russell Wilson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Why not blame Russell Wilson
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 pm
  • I know everyone is on the OL, Bevel, Cabel, and Pete, it just seems like Russ was not on his game. He was pressured a bit but look how man times Rodgers had the ball out of his hands in 2.1 to 2.3 seconds. Why does Russ want to hold it for 3-3.5 seconds. I think his height has something to do with it, I think the play calling has something to do with, but I also think Russ spending all his time with Ciara, visiting the hospitals, hosting award ceremonies, making commercials, building his own clothing line, new brand and new apps he has forgotten what it takes to be elite.

I hope this is a wake up call for him but right now I'm about as mad at this team as I have been since we lost to the Rams in the playoffs in 2005.
    Last edited by Wenhawk on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Why not blame Russell Wilson
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 pm
  • I'd take rookie Russ over what we have any day.
    evergreen
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm
  • Because he had .7 seconds.

On run plays the Dline was meeting RW and the RBs at handoff.

Wenhawk wrote: He was pressured a bit .

LOL
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:Because he had .7 seconds.

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:I know everyone is on the OL, Bevel, Cabel, and Pete, it just seems like Russ was not on his game. He was pressured a bit but look how man times Rodgers had the ball out of his hands in 2.1 of 2.3 seconds. Why does Russ want to hold it for 3-3.5 seconds. I think his height has something to do with it, I think the play calling has something to do with, but I also think Russ spending all his time with Ciara, visiting the hospitals, hosting award ceremonies, making commercials, building his own clothing line, new brand and new apps he has forgotten what it takes to be elite.

I hope this is a wake up call for him but right now I'm about as made at this team as I have been since we lost to the Rams int he playoffs in 2005.

Okay now for reality,

why doesn't he get the ball out quicker, because you need people open to do it. hard to do if everyone is running long routes.
    He was not pressured a bit but nearly all the time, I believe ESPN said he was hit, sacked or pressured on 70% of his drop backs, that is a lot more than some.
    As to the rest, a bunch of made up BS with no fact to support it so I will ignore it.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:Because he had .7 seconds.

LOL

^^^This.
    Tusc2000
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm
  • Pretty sure Russell is not responsible for the 3 D lineman in the backfield shutting down our running game. He has a share in the matter, but is not helped at all by his coordinator either.

They want to preach ball control to the max, they need to give him time to at least get to his second read, which clearly he could not much of the time. Setup to fail.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:Because he had .7 seconds.

LOL

Rodgers was pressured more than Russ.

Quick, someone do a break down of the game and find out if this is true
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:Because he had .7 seconds.

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.

Great you called BS to bad its true

Rodgers was pressured on 57% of his drop backs that means out of 42 attempts he was pressured on 24 of them so he had 18 attempts with protection

Wilson was pressured on 70% so that means out of the 27 attempts he was pressured or worse on 19 which means 8 attempts without pressure or worse

There is your question

The bigger issue should be why is it every expert, every announcer, saw that but you?

Now lets again take the ball out quick again you need Wr on short routes to do that and our OC did not have that or again were you not watching?
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote: I think his height has something to do with it..

Oh this again... :roll:

What QB that is currently playing right now would do a better job behind this O-line and with this WR group?
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm
  • There was one blow by Avril on Rodgers. I can't remember any other. Other than that, a very good Seahawk dline had to work their tails off to get the pressure on. GB line held their blocks for as long as possible and gave Rodgers time. A very good LOB helped giving some coverage sacks and pressures.

Hawk oline against a much inferior dline (relative to Seattle) played paddy cake or just simply matador-ed. A legally blind squirrel could see this.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm
  • I believe there is something to this...

Russell is not elite at the line of scrimmage. He rarely fakes the snap and rarely audibles. These are critical abilities in the NFL.

He is not a quick decision maker. He holds the ball too long.

He is not as fast to scramble.

He is not as quick when he decides to scramble.

I still believe in Russell, but I do believe that he is not as obsessed with the game as he is obsessed with himself.
    farhat
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm
  • farhat wrote:I believe there is something to this...

Russell is not elite at the line of scrimmage. He rarely fakes the snap and rarely audibles. These are critical abilities in the NFL.

He is not a quick decision maker. He holds the ball too long.

He is not as fast to scramble.

He is not as quick when he decides to scramble.

I still believe in Russell, but I do believe that he is not as obsessed with the game as he is obsessed with himself.

LOL your entitled to your opinion
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 pm
  • It's all yours Anthony. :D
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 pm
  • The stat that would be most telling other than pressure is the release time on throws. If Rodgers had taken one more second per like Russ did I am sure our DL would have had a much higher percentage of pressures.

I'm a big Wilson fan but after all the talk that he is in the best shape of his life and the 5th year is the year you take that next step, I did not see it. Yes I expected him to get it to Doug or Jimmy wide open on not, put the damn ball in their hands.

Could you imagine how much more effective this defense would have been if only we had converted a few more 1st downs. As a $100M QB I expect him to have the ability to make some of his own calls and put his team in position to win.

does everyone here really believe that the last 15 years Manning, Brady, and Rodgers have had an amazing OL? No they get the ball out faster than any other QB's in the game with pinpoint accuracy. Even Rivers has his moments.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:There was one blow by Avril on Rodgers. I can't remember any other. Other than that, a very good Seahawk dline had to work their tails off to get the pressure on. GB line held their blocks for as long as possible and gave Rodgers time. A very good LOB helped giving some coverage sacks and pressures.

Hawk oline against a much inferior dline (relative to Seattle) played paddy cake or just simply matador-ed. A legally blind squirrel could see this.

GB had a backup LT and two other 1st year starters. They looked good because of playcalling and QB play.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 pm
  • Brock Huard would be speaking at Manning's funeral if he played behind this Oline.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:There was one blow by Avril on Rodgers. I can't remember any other. Other than that, a very good Seahawk dline had to work their tails off to get the pressure on. GB line held their blocks for as long as possible and gave Rodgers time. A very good LOB helped giving some coverage sacks and pressures.

GB had a backup LT and two other 1st year starters. They looked good because of playcalling and QB play.

Seahawks had a backup LT replacing a basketball player and the worst guard in the league was oddly moved to RT. Their LG was a failed LT and their RG was there I guess.

Edit: I should and their center was a terrible RT, moved to LG and terrible, but is their bright spot at center.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG (142.66 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

That pretty much says it all.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:The stat that would be most telling other than pressure is the release time on throws. If Rodgers had taken one more second per like Russ did I am sure our DL would have had a much higher percentage of pressures.

I'm a big Wilson fan but after all the talk that he is in the best shape of his life and the 5th year is the year you take that next step, I did not see it. Yes I expected him to get it to Doug or Jimmy wide open on not, put the damn ball in their hands.

Could you imagine how much more effective this defense would have been if only we had converted a few more 1st downs. As a $100M QB I expect him to have the ability to make some of his own calls and put his team in position to win.

does everyone here really believe that the last 15 years Manning, Brady, and Rodgers have had an amazing OL? No they get the ball out faster than any other QB's in the game with pinpoint accuracy. Even Rivers has his moments.

lol funny you should say that

Manning avg pass blocking ranking 16th
    Rodger avg pass blocking ranking 14th
    Wilson avg pass blocking ranking 28th

That is for their careers

as to the rest dude once again he cant throw it quick if there is no one to throw to, and again how come every expert, every announcer sees it but not you HMMM

As to what you expect well I and every other person who knows anything about football would expect a team to protect its QB but I guess you dont, which says a lot
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:There was one blow by Avril on Rodgers. I can't remember any other. Other than that, a very good Seahawk dline had to work their tails off to get the pressure on. GB line held their blocks for as long as possible and gave Rodgers time. A very good LOB helped giving some coverage sacks and pressures.

mainly play calling
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    IMG_4426.JPG

That pretty much says it all.

Thanks I was looking for that ugly part is there is about 20 more of them from just this gamee
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 pm
  • Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm
  • Just like posting political topics you cannot post blame Wilson threads. It's never his fault. Damn I wish he had an o line and a coach that let him throw the ball downfield instead of sideways.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

He was throwing some desperate Marys out there, looking for Kearse I'm sure.. btw.. who is his new Kearse?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

He was throwing some desperate Marys out there, looking for Kearse I'm sure.. btw.. who is his new Kearse?

Whoever starts dropping passes...maybe Willssson . Richardson seems to win the one on ones
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Just like posting political topics you cannot post blame Wilson threads. It's never his fault. Damn I wish he had an o line and a coach that let him throw the ball downfield instead of sideways.

Just make it legit.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:GB had a backup LT and two other 1st year starters. They looked good because of playcalling and QB play.

Nope, GB had a backup RT and no first year starters. They didn't even look that good. Rodgers made some incredible plays and is a crafty vet so he got us on the substitution play.

We've seen Brady play with a garbage OL at the end of 2015 and the Pats eventually couldn't overcome it and went 2-4 to end the year, losing out on the #1 seed. That's 15 year vet Brady with excellent OC Josh McDaniels. To expect Wilson to overcome it with this playcalling is absurd.

He did miss some throws, but even the deep throw to Lockett, he was getting clocked by Daniels just as he released the ball, didn't have his feet properly set. You say he was slow to scramble, but he contributed a huge chunk of our running production on the day. So yes, you can say Russ deserves blame, but not a huge portion of it.
    adeltaY
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

what throws did he miss that was not do to being hit or hurried?
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Just like posting political topics you cannot post blame Wilson threads. It's never his fault. Damn I wish he had an o line and a coach that let him throw the ball downfield instead of sideways.

you can when it IS warranted but not when its obvious to anyone with eyes its not
    Last edited by Anthony! on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 pm
  • They might have ruined him as a QB. The past 2 seasons hes been under so much pressure hes just shook now.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 pm
  • David Carr syndrome...
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 pm
  • Shocking stat of the day: Wilson has been most pressured QB since 2012. Stats back it up

Hold me bros
    Attachments
    I8Jjy.jpg
    I8Jjy.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Shocking stat of the day: Wilson has been most pressured QB since 2012. Stats back it up

Hold me bros

RussB
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 pm
  • Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

But they didn't call those kinds of plays yesterday. I don't think the zone read was used much, nor were bootlegs. We saw in the second half of '15 that Russ absolutely can hit those short routes in rhythm. He had the highest passer rating from the pocket that year.
    adeltaY
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

That is all on the coaches. I've beat this drum a thousand times.

They have abandoned the read option completely....tired of typing. Copy and paste a previous post...

What made the running game great was Lynch AND Wilson. Teams couldn't key on either one running the read option or they'd have huge gains. They opened holes for each other.

The Read option is completely abandoned now.

News flash coaches. The read option doesn't get RW killed (he actually can protect himself running the RO), it is thinking this line can create a pocket for him. That is going to kill him.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

That is all on the coaches. I've beat this drum a thousand times.

They have abandoned the read option completely....tired of typing. Copy and paste a previous post...

What made the running game great was Lynch AND Wilson. Teams couldn't key on either one running the read option or they'd have huge gains. They opened holes for each other.

The Read option is completely abandoned now.

News flash coaches. The read option doesn't get RW killed (he actually can protect himself running the RO), it is thinking this line can create a pocket for him. That is going to kill him.

I totally agree, it helped the running game, kept the offense on the field and wore out the opposing D's.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 pm
  • Okay, I found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/6 ... lation_to/

Comparing pressure rate with time to throw. The model is that lower time to throw mitigates pressure by getting the ball out before the rush can affect the QB. Thus, the ratio between time to throw and pressure rate ranking should be close to 1.0. This guy compiled the stats from the 2016 regular season and another guy made a graph of them.

https://imgur.com/a/MjDMo

I've circled Russ in blue, Tom Brady in red, and Rodgers in green. We can see that Brady's quick release relative to his peers mitigates the pressure he faces, again relative to the other QBs in the league, about exactly as expected. Rodgers holds the ball longer and experiences much less pressure than one would expect, so he's below the trendline. Russ holds the ball barely longer than Brady and experiences pressure at a much higher rate, relatively. So this whole "blame Wilson, Brady and Aaron get the ball out quicker even if their OL are worse, why can't Russ do that?" argument doesn't properly account for RW's circumstances.
    adeltaY
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 pm

And yet he has one of the best complt % and QB ratings as a drop back passer so that would be well wrongt
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

But they didn't call those kinds of plays yesterday. I don't think the zone read was used much, nor were bootlegs. We saw in the second half of '15 that Russ absolutely can hit those short routes in rhythm. He had the highest passer rating from the pocket that year.

agreed but that is an offense that despite how well it worked the coaches don't seem to want to run.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Okay, I found this on reddit:

Comparing pressure rate with time to throw. The model is that lower time to throw mitigates pressure by getting the ball out before the rush can affect the QB. Thus, the ratio between time to throw and pressure rate ranking should be close to 1.0. This guy compiled the stats from the 2016 regular season and another guy made a graph of them.

I've circled Russ in blue, Tom Brady in red, and Rodgers in green. We can see that Brady's quick release relative to his peers mitigates the pressure he faces, again relative to the other QBs in the league, about exactly as expected. Rodgers holds the ball longer and experiences much less pressure than one would expect, so he's below the trendline. Russ holds the ball barely longer than Brady and experiences pressure at a much higher rate, relatively. So this whole "blame Wilson, Brady and Aaron get the ball out quicker even if their OL are worse, why can't Russ do that?" argument doesn't properly account for RW's circumstances.

Now let's add the FACT that their OLine has always been ranked higher in pass protection than RWs by a wide margin
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Okay, I found this on reddit:

Dang facts
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 pm
  • Anthony! wrote:

Now let's add the FACT that their OLine has always been ranked higher in pass protection than RWs by a wide margin

Yeah, my bad, I didn't quite phrase that right. I meant to say that people who criticize Russ say that Brady or Rodgers could
    hypothetically operate behind this horrific OL by getting rid of the ball quicker, so Russ should do the same. You're definitely correct that the Pack and Patriots have had at least top 10 OL the past few years. Brady had a really bad one due to injuries for the latter part of 2015 and the team really suffered.
    adeltaY
    NET Rookie

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 am

The Donovan McNabb syndrome. The difference being Donovan was tall enough to see over the OL. Thus he could quick throw over throw the middle to the TE. It was another story that most of his throws went into the dirt. Russell on the other hand is too short. Therefore his receivers need to be 20 yds down the field for him to be able to see them. By that time, he has pressure in his face.
    FIRE CABLE to SAVE RUSSELL!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am
  • Bill baldinger of nfl.com tweeted out multiple plays and came away saying he doesn't know how Wilson does what he does behind this line implying he's never seen anything like it. Russell is the last one who deserves blame in my opinion. We don't know the internal power play on who is driving the offensive line but that is where the blame lies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 am
  • Anthony! wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

He still missed throws good QBs make. Rodgers made several completions while under pressure. It's part of a QBs job. Wilson himself will admit that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:

He still missed throws good QBs make. Rodgers made several completions while under pressure. It's part of a QBs job. Wilson himself will admit that.

Absolutely, Wilson also made some throws under pressure and Rodgers missed some. Even Rodgers would admit that.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:

D'uh. Course he missed some, as they all do no matter what the pundits think or say. I guess that pass that a tall Rogers couldn't get over the DL and was picked off can be forgotten.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 am
  • Cute...

14 completions to 28. 158 yards to 311. So not as many though.

He struggled. People can admit that without fearing the worst.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Next

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information