Why not blame Russell Wilson

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":g1dciivg said:
Bobblehead":g1dciivg said:
Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

But they didn't call those kinds of plays yesterday. I don't think the zone read was used much, nor were bootlegs. We saw in the second half of '15 that Russ absolutely can hit those short routes in rhythm. He had the highest passer rating from the pocket that year.

agreed but that is an offense that despite how well it worked the coaches don't seem to want to run.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":316keski said:
Okay, I found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/6 ... lation_to/

Comparing pressure rate with time to throw. The model is that lower time to throw mitigates pressure by getting the ball out before the rush can affect the QB. Thus, the ratio between time to throw and pressure rate ranking should be close to 1.0. This guy compiled the stats from the 2016 regular season and another guy made a graph of them.

https://imgur.com/a/MjDMo

I've circled Russ in blue, Tom Brady in red, and Rodgers in green. We can see that Brady's quick release relative to his peers mitigates the pressure he faces, again relative to the other QBs in the league, about exactly as expected. Rodgers holds the ball longer and experiences much less pressure than one would expect, so he's below the trendline. Russ holds the ball barely longer than Brady and experiences pressure at a much higher rate, relatively. So this whole "blame Wilson, Brady and Aaron get the ball out quicker even if their OL are worse, why can't Russ do that?" argument doesn't properly account for RW's circumstances.

Now let's add the FACT that their OLine has always been ranked higher in pass protection than RWs by a wide margin

Smellyman

Reaction score
adeltaY":s9derxav said:
Okay, I found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/6 ... lation_to/

Comparing pressure rate with time to throw. The model is that lower time to throw mitigates pressure by getting the ball out before the rush can affect the QB. Thus, the ratio between time to throw and pressure rate ranking should be close to 1.0. This guy compiled the stats from the 2016 regular season and another guy made a graph of them.

https://imgur.com/a/MjDMo

I've circled Russ in blue, Tom Brady in red, and Rodgers in green. We can see that Brady's quick release relative to his peers mitigates the pressure he faces, again relative to the other QBs in the league, about exactly as expected. Rodgers holds the ball longer and experiences much less pressure than one would expect, so he's below the trendline. Russ holds the ball barely longer than Brady and experiences pressure at a much higher rate, relatively. So this whole "blame Wilson, Brady and Aaron get the ball out quicker even if their OL are worse, why can't Russ do that?" argument doesn't properly account for RW's circumstances.

Dang facts

adeltaY

Reaction score
Anthony!":1go1n6uz said:
Now let's add the FACT that their OLine has always been ranked higher in pass protection than RWs by a wide margin

Yeah, my bad, I didn't quite phrase that right. I meant to say that people who criticize Russ say that Brady or Rodgers could
hypothetically operate behind this horrific OL by getting rid of the ball quicker, so Russ should do the same. You're definitely correct that the Pack and Patriots have had at least top 10 OL the past few years. Brady had a really bad one due to injuries for the latter part of 2015 and the team really suffered.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1ojjxzd2 said:
Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

The Donovan McNabb syndrome. The difference being Donovan was tall enough to see over the OL. Thus he could quick throw over throw the middle to the TE. It was another story that most of his throws went into the dirt. Russell on the other hand is too short. Therefore his receivers need to be 20 yds down the field for him to be able to see them. By that time, he has pressure in his face.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bill baldinger of nfl.com tweeted out multiple plays and came away saying he doesn't know how Wilson does what he does behind this line implying he's never seen anything like it. Russell is the last one who deserves blame in my opinion. We don't know the internal power play on who is driving the offensive line but that is where the blame lies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":1h1i0g82 said:
Uncle Si":1h1i0g82 said:
Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

what throws did he miss that was not do to being hit or hurried?

He still missed throws good QBs make. Rodgers made several completions while under pressure. It's part of a QBs job. Wilson himself will admit that.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2plng8qr said:
Anthony!":2plng8qr said:
Uncle Si":2plng8qr said:
Wilson also missed some throws. Let's not ignore the fact he was part of the offensive problem. Maybe not the biggest part.. but he wasnt good.

He still missed throws good QBs make. Rodgers made several completions while under pressure. It's part of a QBs job. Wilson himself will admit that.

Absolutely, Wilson also made some throws under pressure and Rodgers missed some. Even Rodgers would admit that.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3unulrcv said:
Anthony!":3unulrcv said:
Uncle Si":3unulrcv said:

D'uh. Course he missed some, as they all do no matter what the pundits think or say. I guess that pass that a tall Rogers couldn't get over the DL and was picked off can be forgotten.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cute...

14 completions to 28. 158 yards to 311. So not as many though.

He struggled. People can admit that without fearing the worst.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nbi90vc said:
Anthony!":1nbi90vc said:
Uncle Si":1nbi90vc said:

Rodgers missed a couple too. They all do. I think Wilson is very far down the list as to what is causing our offensive issues. Brady, Brees literally everyone would struggle behind our line. Russell is doing about as well as can be expected.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
austinslater25":1nozk3wb said:
Uncle Si":1nozk3wb said:
Anthony!":1nozk3wb said:
Uncle Si":1nozk3wb said:

Rodgers missed a couple too. They all do. I think Wilson is very far down the list as to what is causing our offensive issues. Brady, Brees literally everyone would struggle behind our line. Russell is doing about as well as can be expected.

If he's doing as well as can be expected than this team is in trouble. Yeah, QBs miss throws. But Wilson can, has, and will need to play better.

I'm a big fan of his. But he's not really played well consistently since that big run to end the 2015 season. No need for a rundown of mitigating circumstances. He just needs to do better.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wenhawk":wrr5gp0f said:
I know everyone is on the OL, Bevel, Cabel, and Pete, it just seems like Russ was not on his game. He was pressured a bit but look how man times Rodgers had the ball out of his hands in 2.1 to 2.3 seconds. Why does Russ want to hold it for 3-3.5 seconds. I think his height has something to do with it, I think the play calling has something to do with, but I also think Russ spending all his time with Ciara, visiting the hospitals, hosting award ceremonies, making commercials, building his own clothing line, new brand and new apps he has forgotten what it takes to be elite.

I hope this is a wake up call for him but right now I'm about as mad at this team as I have been since we lost to the Rams in the playoffs in 2005.

Not sure why you're so mad at the team. We've lost 8 in a row at GB. Our OL was a work in progress no matter what the coaching staff is trying to sell us (and yes they're selling us). This was a likely loss, and we still looked halfway ok doing it. The Seahawks just shut out Rodgers at home in a 1st half for only the 2nd time in his career. Our defense only gave up 17 to GB at home, and 7 of that was a literal gift, and Rodgers had to pull some trickery to get the other TD. Much improved from last year's game. This is a team we'll see in the playoffs. If we handle our business, it will be at our house, which has been a nightmare for GB (fluky wins and epic collapses).

Things to be mad about: Wilson gets owned mentally by Capers. They have the book on him.

Inability or unwillingness to change up play calling, tempo, etc. We know our OL was weak going in, but we still run the same crap and hope it works. We don't play to our strengths and weaknesses but instead try to dominate our will on our opponents no matter what our personnel dictates.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":1zoipvgd said:

That pretty much says it all.
LOL, Maybe the guards & Tackles on our Offense should begin the play facing the other way, then they'd have a step or two into the back field on the Defense......Good Lord, that's awful :pukeface:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":28qcgkxn said:
He gets blamed for plenty, so.......

But cannot he not be held accountable if he's not playing well?

Yes, the O-line is garbage. Wilson has not played well of late. Does it help if it's said "Wilson does not play well behind that O-line"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7018qymc said:
That's why Graham's drop of an easy 1st down looked so ugly...... Not all drops are on the QB.
Side note here, Rookie Banjo Butt made a sensational catch that didn't show up in the stats, as he was CARRIED out of bounds...That ain't on Russ either.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":k035r875 said:
Cute...

14 completions to 28. 158 yards to 311. So not as many though.

He struggled. People can admit that without fearing the worst.

Yes, AND people can admit that Wilson by a wide margin, has the crappier of the two O-Lines to work behind "without fearing the worst" also.

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bdolai4 said:
SoulfishHawk":2bdolai4 said:
He gets blamed for plenty, so.......

But cannot he not be held accountable if he's not playing well?

Yes, the O-line is garbage. Wilson has not played well of late. Does it help if it's said "Wilson does not play well behind that O-line"

How do you hold RW accountable in any meaningful fashion?

Do we all get to take a wack at him with our soap wrapped in a towel?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Wenhawk":rh4p0oko said:
Smellyman":rh4p0oko said:
Because he had .7 seconds.

On run plays the Dline was meeting RW and the RBs at handoff.

Wenhawk":rh4p0oko said:
He was pressured a bit .

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.

Not true. Most of the sacks we got were after 10 seconds of Aaron running around and he didn't have to start evading the rush for 5 seconds. Russ was getting dumped on after 2.

More short, quick passes are needed.

Beat the drum.