Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Weekly fire Bevell Wishful thinking

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Weekly fire Bevell Wishful thinking
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am
  • I'm not sure what you mean, Sarge, by us not being dynamic with the skill players at WR. I'd put Doug, Lock and PRich right up there with the best receiving corps in the game.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    It's not all on Bevell but he definitely has a hand in it. It's on the entire offensive brain trust. They make terrible decisions when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

Of course, this is a team game. When the team fails, it's a group effort.

And I have no idea why we traded for Graham if we weren't going to change some of our scheming and offensive philosophy. I guess Pete and John saw that we sucked in the red zone, and thought they could figure out how to use Graham to improve that.

But when you're not dynamic passing offense with the skill players at WR to compliment Graham, you get what we see, Graham being double and triple bracketed inside the red zone.

That is being way over stated here lately. Graham is rarely double teamed anymore, and triple teamed NEVER. Go watch his last TD catch again.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    It's not all on Bevell but he definitely has a hand in it. It's on the entire offensive brain trust. They make terrible decisions when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

And I have no idea why we traded for Graham if we weren't going to change some of our scheming and offensive philosophy. I guess Pete and John saw that we sucked in the red zone, and thought they could figure out how to use Graham to improve that.

But when you're not dynamic passing offense with the skill players at WR to compliment Graham, you get what we see, Graham being double and triple bracketed inside the red zone.

That is being way over stated here lately. Graham is rarely double teamed anymore, and triple teamed NEVER. Go watch his last TD catch again.

Follow any of the Hawk beat writers or super fans like Hsu on Twitter, and see how they break down the film and show Graham double and triple bracketed in the red zone.

This is not news, it's how teams have defended him from day one of being here. One TD last week doesn't change this fact. Teams play nickel and dime zone, bracket Graham and Doug and force Russell to throw it elsewhere.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:

Follow any of the Hawk beat writers or super fans like Hsu on Twitter, and see how they break down the film and show Graham double and triple bracketed in the red zone.

This is not news, it's how teams have defended him from day one of being here. One TD last week doesn't change this fact. Teams play nickel and dime zone, bracket Graham and Doug and force Russell to throw it elsewhere.

The one TD is just one example. Like I said, go watch him. Yes that used to be the case, but is not often the case anymore.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-might-need-to-make-good-use-of-jimmy-graham-in-red-zone-saturday-against-atlanta/

While have some have wondered if opponents aren’t sometimes double teaming Graham more once Seattle gets close — that appeared to be the case on the final play of the New Orleans game, when Russell Wilson instead threw to Kearse, who caught the pass just outside of the end zone — Bevell said he hasn’t necessarily sensed that.

“I don’t know if they pay any extra attention than they do when he’s in the field,’’ Bevell said. “When Jimmy Graham is out there, he’s a factor for us and they have to pay attention to him.”
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

The one TD is just one example. Like I said, go watch him. Yes that used to be the case, but is not often the case anymore.

I do watch him, and see the game pics showing as much.

Is that the case ALL the time? Of course not, and we could do better with the playcalling and even more so, Russell throwing it to the right spots to give Graham a chance.

Lastly, Graham himself could do a better job. He's soft in his breaks, he's soft getting off blocks, he's soft fighting for the ball, he's slow running routes.

But I know, Fire Bevell! That'll solve all of this.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:But I know, Fire Bevell! That'll solve all of this.

Read my updated quote. Bevell doesn't see it either.

And no, fire Cable and trade Graham for oline help would be the best shot at fixing it.

I've said several times Cable is the larger problem, and Bevell (although poor at his job), could get the job done with an oline.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:33 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

I do watch him, and see the game pics showing as much.

Is that the case ALL the time? Of course not, and we could do better with the playcalling and even more so, Russell throwing it to the right spots to give Graham a chance.

Lastly, Graham himself could do a better job. He's soft in his breaks, he's soft getting off blocks, he's soft fighting for the ball, he's slow running routes.

But I know, Fire Bevell! That'll solve all of this.

I would be willing to bet if Bevell was fired and someone new was brought in the offense would improve. We may have to wait a couple years but hopefully we remember this thread and revisit this lol.

Bevell isn't the only problem but you mentioned Twitter, I've seen multiple smart offensive minds absolutely baffled at bevell's route concepts, situational play calls and initial game plans to believe they know what they're talking about. These are respected offensive minds who have spent a lot of time around the league. He's a major part of the problem imo. Not the sole problem but a big part of it.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm
  • That is why this whole argument is going around in circles. A new OC will fire Cable and bring in his Oline coach. After three years if this new OC gets the O going it wont matter beacuase all of the defenseive stars on the team will be well into the twilight of there careers. The offense will score 30 points a week but it will give up 28 and we will all want the DC fired.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
  • Here's a question for Sarge and Sioux.... We tried to establish the run by running right at Donald the whole game. He's one of, in not the best in the game. This scout noted play after play and was baffled by Seattle's decision to run right at the strength of the defense when every other team schemes away from Donald. Does that make much sense to you? That's on Bevell. Not Pete, Wilson, the line but Bevell.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Here's a question for Sarge and Sioux.... We tried to establish the run by running right at Donald the whole game. He's one of, in not the best in the game. This scout noted play after play and was baffled by Seattle's decision to run right at the strength of the defense when every other team schemes away from Donald. Does that make much sense to you? That's on Bevell. Not Pete, Wilson, the line but Bevell.

Since you haven't given specific examples, I can't evaluate a specific play on the all 22 and breakdown what happened and explain it to you. Then perhaps you could explain it to your experts (whether or not they would be able to understand it is another issue altogether). Therefore, you have to look at several possibilities for this play calling. First, it is possible that we had the run called, lined up, and Russell read the defensive alignment and chose to stay with the called play instead of checking to something different. Second, it is possible that a different play was called and Russell checked to the run at Donald after he saw the defensive alignment. Third, it is possible that Russell is not given the option to check out of a play once he sees the defensive alignment. If it really is obvious to you and these "experts" (who I note you fail to site, seems like a very weak attempt to lend more credibility to uneducated opinions) then either A) Russell is incapable of reading a defense, or B) the coaching staff doesn't trust him to read the D and make the appropriate adjustments.

There is of course another possibility here. It is possible that you can effectively slow down an elite pass rusher by running directly at him. Running directly at Donald on occasion may have been the only way to slow him down enough to give Russell a couple seconds to get a pass off on other plays. If your so called experts were in fact experts, I would think they would be familiar with this since it is hardly a new or unusual concept.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am
  • The first thing I thought of was trying to slow down Donald but at what point when he is blowing up the running back in the backfield to abandon and move on to plan B? We couldn't run the ball all game. To be fair our run blocking, which Cable has hand picked guys on their ability to run block strangely, might not of been able to create anything regardless. Although the right side seemed to be able to have some success the past couple of weeks when given the chance. But multiple people pointed it out with film breakdown. I don't think I need to find the sources for you but if you can't find them let me know and I'll share them.

So in your expert opinion Sun Tzu what do you think it is? You think its more reasonable to assume Russ 5 years in can't read a defense or that the team doesn't trust him? I think its a little more reasonable to assume that Bevell isn't perfect and it definitely part of the problem and its easy to see to anyone looking at it objectively. I've already laid out my argument why I think he's a problem, maybe you can lay out your case why he's not.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm
  • Seymour wrote:I've said several times Cable is the larger problem, and Bevell (although poor at his job), could get the job done with an oline.

Evidence supporting your statement is severely lacking. If you disagree, then present it. I guess it also depends on what you mean by "could get the job done," though. They are both big problems, but we'd see more offensive success getting rid of Bevell than by getting rid of Cable, IMO.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:08 pm
  • I understand our run production was paltry, but it did set up the pass for key first downs and it helped grind the clock. If our OLine can make improvements in this realm like they did for the pass game, we will really be dynamic.

The article is a bye week article that really could have been written the last 3 seasons. I'm hoping Bev is back with us, but I really wouldn't be surprised if a head gig is offered to him.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 pm
  • At this point the offense just sucks and they should do something to fix it. If the offense sucks like 2016, but with a healthy Wilson, for the entire 2017 season, something has to change.

Bengals fired Zampese and their offense, with a crap OL, worse QB than we have, AJ Green, and some other nominal WRs, has gotten much better. They beat the Bills who had the #1 scoring D up to that point. I know it's one example, but man. Also, the Bills fired Greg Roman last year and replaced him with Anthony Lynn and their offense was much improved. Then again, the Ravens tried it last year and they still sucked. Although they did the same in 2012 and won the SB. Who knows? McVay had a whole offseason and he completely turned the Rams offense around, barring last game.

All I'm saying is that if this offense isn't figured out by playoff time and costs us in the postseason, we need to start fresh. I hope Pete will swing the hammer if it comes to it. Giving a new guy the proper amount of time in the offseason to install his new system could work wonders.
    adeltaY
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Ugh. I sound like a Bevell apologist now. Can we both agree, WindCityHawk, to stay away from our respective extremes so that neither of us gets shoved towards either cliff? :D

Haha, I can agree to that, yeah. And you're right, he has mostly abandoned the screens, thank God.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information