Should Doug have not scored a TD???

daketah

Reaction score
As bad as the offense has been in the RZ, I don't think they can be that strategic. They have to take what they can get...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I appreciate the effort, that is about the dumbest thing ever said. Don't score a touchdown, on purpose? Come on

StoneCold

Reaction score
On a day when FG's were hard to come by I wouldn't want to leave it on the foot of a kicker.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And with a D that was dominating all day, you trust that they will get the job done w/less than 2 minutes and a 4 point lead.

classicaaron

Reaction score
the thought did cross my mind as he was running but he made 100% the right choice. could you imagine if he fell down on purpose and walsh missed a 4th kick. doug would be ran out of town for not taking the automatic score. defense should have prevailed. simple as that.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Take the points when you get them. Offense had enough trouble scoring and already threw a pick on the 2 pt conversion. You put your trust in the defense that keeps you in games every week.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
What they shouldn't have done was gone for 2 and burned their 2nd timeout doing so. You're up by 4. They need a TD to win and a FG does no good. You make the 2. You're up by 6 and a FG does them no good. You miss the 2. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You miss an extra point. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You MAKE an extra point, you're up by 5 and a FG does them no good. Except now, you didn't blow a timeout while insisting on going for two, AND if what happened happens, you have 2 TO's at your disposal to get into FG range for a possible game winning kick!

I do not understand how NFL Coaches are so bad at time and timeout management at the end of games. They should simply hire a high school kid that's played a bit of Madden and give him the job of 'when to go for 2' and 'when to call a timeout'. This isn't rocket science.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ddfs176 said:
As much as I appreciate the effort, that is about the dumbest thing ever said. Don't score a touchdown, on purpose? Come on

Oh ya, that is a great plan. Fail to convert and rely on your FG kicker that has been money. :roll:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I haven't taken Brian Burke seriously since 2009. All the Fieldgulls bros treat him as gospel, of course.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Definitely should have taken the TD. Between the likelihood of our running game getting stuffed, committing penalties, Bevell not dialing up bootlegs to give Russ the opportunity to run or throw (or maybe calling another super smart and totally not egotistical/arrogant goal line first-read rub/pick slant play), and Walsh missing all of his FG attempts... You gotta take the points.

White Devil

Reaction score
This offense can't afford to play those games.

They have to take any points they can scrape up.

Chapow

Reaction score
That's idiotic. We were losing at the time and our kicker had already missed 3 FG's. The same kicker we've seen miss a chip shot to win a game in the past.

That's one of the most imbecilic things I've read in while.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Normally, if you gave me the odds of winning in all that needs to be done is for the defense to stop the opposing team with a little over a minute left..... I would take it. Score the points when you can. We are not good enough to pick and choose when to put points up. Gave up big plays on the final drive.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
What would have been the % if McDougald just let the guy roll into the endzone instead of touching him down at the 1 inch line?

IMO, McDougald should have let the TD happen. It would have left 1 minute on the clock and preserve the final timeout. We would have had a really good shot at winning had we not touched him down.

Mindsink

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":4w1gt2va said:
What they shouldn't have done was gone for 2 and burned their 2nd timeout doing so. You're up by 4. They need a TD to win and a FG does no good. You make the 2. You're up by 6 and a FG does them no good. You miss the 2. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You miss an extra point. You're up by 4 and a FG does them no good. You MAKE an extra point, you're up by 5 and a FG does them no good. Except now, you didn't blow a timeout while insisting on going for two, AND if what happened happens, you have 2 TO's at your disposal to get into FG range for a possible game winning kick!

I do not understand how NFL Coaches are so bad at time and timeout management at the end of games. They should simply hire a high school kid that's played a bit of Madden and give him the job of 'when to go for 2' and 'when to call a timeout'. This isn't rocket science.

^^^ This.

In fact, they shouldn't have gone for 2 on the first TD either. You go for 2 when you need to. With the game hypothetically at 10-9, now a TD makes it 15-10, and NOW you can go for 2. If you make it, a subsequent Redskins TD+1 ties the game. If you miss it, it's 16-15 and now they would have to go for 2 to get the 3-point lead they ended up getting anyways.

ducks41468

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Redskins had 2 timeouts remaining so even if we intentionally don't score and burn some clock, they still get the ball with around a minute left. It's a sensible strategy if the opposing team is out of timeouts and you can just run the clock out and kick a chip shot FG as time expires.