Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

You're the GM!!!!!!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
You're the GM!!!!!!
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 pm
  • Since it is just a few weeks from the start of free agency I discussed this idea with KitsapGuy and Original Poster about a new thread idea. This is going to be different than any threads to date about this off season.

We are letting YOU be the GM for the Seahawks!

So what does this mean? For those brave enough you will prepare a three part plan on what steps the team needs to take this off season from now until thru the draft. That's right... You're the boss!

Your post will have three parts:

Part 1: Any player cuts or restructures you feel are needed to increase available funds for this off season needs and goals.

Part 2: Any player trades to other teams for cap relief and additional players/draft picks. In addition any team free agents you wish to re-sign back to the team and under what terms. Last, what other team free agent targets you want to sign before the draft and under what terms.

Part 3: With the current and any additional draft picks received on trades and/or moving up or down in the draft what would be your draft plan. You can pick positions and/or specific players that you think will be at that draft position.

That's it. Original Poster is going to include the current team cap position by player and overall for the team. Keep in mind no one is going to expect numbers to be to the dollar on this. Just try your best.

One last thing that is really important. This is not a thread for you to pick apart every post, or poster. This is a positive plan to allow those who wish to come up with your total game plan for the team this off season. So negativity and one or two sentence comments are not going to work on this thread. There are a lot of other threads you can visit if that is your goal. This is for serious fans that want to play the GM role for themselves.

We have many really good posters now and many have experience as football players or coaches. We also have many former posters who were very knowledgeable but stopped posting on this site. Perhaps they are still lurking around and may enjoy participating on this thread.

So let's have fun with this idea!

So let's go GM's! Show your stuff!

Thank you.

EDIT (OP) - Here is the cap position along with cap hits for all players on the roster (currently) for 2018.

kf3339
    NET Veteran

Re: You're the GM!!!!!!
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 pm
  • So, here is my plan.

Part 1.
    Player cuts:

Cliff Avril - Saves $7M on cap space
    Jeremy Lane - Saves $5M on cap space
    John Ryan - Saves $2M on cap space

Re-structuring:

Duane Brown - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $4M this year. Saves us about $3M in cap space this year.

I chose these three as we need to get younger on defense and Ryan has faded in his play and not worth $3M this next season. I think we can get better with younger players at these positions primarily in the draft. This gives us an extra $17M in cap space bring us to about $31M.

Part 2.

Our FA re-signings:

Bradley McDougal - 3 year contract $10M total with $2M signing bonus and 1st year base of $1M
    Dion Jordan - 2 year contract for $10M at $2.5M first year and team option for $7.5M second year
    Marcus Smith - 1 year contract $1m base salary
    Luke Willson 2- year contract $1M signing bonus with first year salary at $500K

These are the players I think we can afford and should fit the goal of making the team better. I really wanted to include Sheldon Richardson, but not sure we can get him at no more than $10M per year. I would consider franchising him to see if a deal can be worked out in time. But that is not in this forecast right now.

This gives us still about $25M in cap space for free agency and the draft.

Free agent targets:

Justin Pugh OG - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $2M first year salary.
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
    Donte Moncrief WR - 3 year contract, $3M signing bonus and $2M first year salary

Not going to lie. These names have shown up on the board and I just like the idea. My plan would be to add veteran players on offense who can help RW now. These three guys would do that and greatly assist in are restructured run game. Pugh gets plugged in at LG and the left side of our Oline now looks pretty good! Jenkins and Moncrief will be a major plus in the run game and still do well in our passing attack.

What is not to like?

The only defensive guys I would go after are on the Dline if the price is right. That includes SR if things go well for us.

Player trades:

The draft is going to hinge on several things happening via trade. This is where I think we get extra picks. I would trade Bennett for a 3rd or high 4th round pick in this years draft. I also think that Earl Thomas is going to be traded, but probably not for what we want. My hope is a late 1st and maybe a late 3rd or 4th round pick as well. I saw where someone wanted to trade us Heath from Dallas and a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't do that, but would if they traded down in the 1st some and gave us that pick and Heath.

These trades would free up additional cap space and make room for keeping SR and possibly and getting a veteran RT for the right price.

Part 3.

If my plan was to happen we would have an additional late 1st round pick and a late 3rd or 4th round pick for Bennett. This gives us two 1st round picks which can be traded back for extra picks on day two. I am not a draft guy and don't really know the college players that well.

What I would like to see with our first two picks is an edge rusher and a 3 down RB who can lead our running attack. I am going to start looking more closely this next month at the draft and will edit once I have a better feel for the players. But my main goal would be to pick young, aggressive and hungry players for the defense and a stud RB to get a possession running attack that works. I think this will take pressure off of RW to have to be the only guy on offense to shoulder the load.

That's it for me.

Now you be the GM. What is your total plan?
    Last edited by kf3339 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm
  • Firstly, I am going to look at roster cuts in order to free up some cap space.

The following names are cut -

Jeremy Lane
    Michael Bennett (post June 1st cut)
    Cliff Avril
    Jon Ryan

That leaves the team with a cap position of $33,648,861.

Now lets look at contract extensions are bringing back Seahawks who are set to be free agents in 2018.

Duane Brown gets a 4-year extension here however the way the contract is formed with guarantees and signing bonus, the 4th year is very team friendly (given he will be 36) so you can effectively call this a 3 year deal with the ability to cut him without too much harm to the cap in the 4th year.

Duane Brown
    4 years
    $44m contract value
    $13.5m signing bonus
    $11m Average Per Year (APY)

This contract extension leaves the Seahawks with $29,278,390. That’s an extra $1,625,000 in available cap due to the contract structure.

Next up, let’s assume the team wants to lock up Earl Thomas for the long haul. Many will disagree with this extension however ultimately what John Schneider and Pete Carroll decide is what matters, and Pete loves having Earl at the back of the defense.

Earl Thomas
    5 years
    $67.5m
    $15m signing bonus
    $13.5m Average Per Year (APY)

With the contract structure being pretty middle loaded the extension saves $3,500,000 on the 2018 cap, putting their, now current position, at $32,778,390.

Next up, Frank Clark. Frank has been eligible for an extension since 1st January 2018, but given he is still on his rookie contract, you could well tie this extension in with cutting Michael Bennett on 12th May to split his dead money more evenly. Frank is only going to get more expensive if the team leave it till 2019 and I’m certain he will be a player the front office wish to retain.

Frank Clark
    4 years
    $41m
    $18m signing bonus
    $10.25m Average Per Year

Obviously transitioning from the rookie pay scale to a second contract means the cap will always go down, however Frank’s extension increases progressively meaning his 2018 hit isn’t hideous, their cap space now sits at $26,222,331.

Let’s get Sheldon Richardson on prove-it part II. As per my article recently about him, I’m a big fan of Sheldon and what he did for this defense last season. Provided his stats stay on a positive path and his sack numbers increase somewhat, I’d lock him up long term next year.

Sheldon Richardson
    1 year
    $9.5m
    $3m signing bonus

With the addition of Sheldon being on another one year deal, it takes a big hit on the cap given you can’t spread a one-year deal, however it is what it is.

Now we can give Paul Richardson a big pay day and lock him up long term over 5-years. I think the APY may be a bit rich, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team go for it and for Paul to have a fantastic season, his chemistry with Russ really is growing.

Paul Richardson
    5 years
    $32.5m
    $17.5m signing bonus
    $6.5m Average Per Year

Cap position now Paul Richardson is signed long terms puts the 2018 money left at $12,222,331.

Next up, Seattle opts to bring back Luke Willson for 2 years. Given his price and cap hits, it would be a wise signing and he could very well prove to be superb value down the road. Even if his play does drop off a cliff, the cap damage is limited given his low contract value.

Luke Willson
    2 years
    $3.5m
    $1.5m signing bonus
    $1.75m Average Per Year

With the addition of Luke on the team for the next 2 seasons, the teams current cap sits at $10,472,331.

With the cap getting a bit low I took another look at the roster and decided that K.J. Wright is very much worthy of an extension. We saw what happened when he wasn’t on the field late last season and it wasn’t pretty. He is an unsung hero of this defense and very much worthy of a third contract, given his ability, for the most part, to stay injury free.

K.J. Wright
    4 years
    $28m
    $8m signing bonus
    $7m Average Per Year

Given K.J’s low cap hit in 2018, this puts the teams cap space up to $14,672,331.

Last but not least, I’d like to bring back Bradley McDougald to start at strong safety and also provide adequate insurance should the worst happen to Earl Thomas.

Bradley McDougald
    2 years
    $8m
    $3m signing bonus
    $4m Average Per Year

This signing puts the 2018 cap at $10,922,331.

Looking at outside free agents, the cap space is getting relatively low now (remember I've already accounted for the rookie draft class).

So I'd add -

Shane Vareen - RB - Vet Minimum ($915,000) contract for one year
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE - $1,500,000 contract for one year
    D.J. Fluker – OG - 2-year $7,500,000 contract with a 2018 cap hit of $2,750,000
    Alex Okafor – DE - $2,500,000 contract for one year

That now puts the cap space at $3,257,331 to hold back for in-season signings due to injury.

Now onto the draft...

Given the lack of trades above the team still has needs and no 2nd or 3rd round picks. Therefore I'd make a trade with Cleveland for their second round pick, third round pick and 5th round pick for #18 overall. This gives the slightest of advantage to Cleveland as per the draft trade chart, however it's so minimal it doesn't matter.

Their draft board now looks as follows -

Round 2 - #33
    Round 3 - #65
    Round 4 - #122
    Round 5 - #140
    Round 5 - #143
    Round 5 - #150
    Round 5 - #170
    Round 7 - #226
    Round 7 - #248
    Round 7 - #250

With those selections, my draft selections would look something like this -

Round 2 - #33 – Interior Lineman
    Round 3 - #65 – The best available running back left on the board
    Round 4 - #122 – EDGE
    Round 5 - #140 – Outside linebacker
    Round 5 - #143 - CB
    Round 5 - #150 - WR
    Round 5 - #170 – S/CB
    Round 7 - #226 - Kicker
    Round 7 - #248 – Outside linebacker
    Round 7 - #250 – Running back
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 am
  • Can I play twice?? I'm going to play twice...

Going to take a totally different approach to the above.

Firstly, the cuts -

Jeremy Lane
    Jon Ryan
    Cliff Avril
    Richard Sherman

That puts Seattle with the following cap space - $38,998,861

Trades -

Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay for a 5th (#146)
    Earl Thomas to Atlanta for #26 and a 4th (#128)

Cap space now sits at - $49,673,861

With the draft board looking like this -

Round 1 - #18
    Round 1 - #26
    Round 4 - #122
    Round 4 - #128
    Round 5 - #143
    Round 5 - #146
    Round 5 - #150
    Round 5 - #170
    Round 7 - #226
    Round 7 - #248
    Round 7 - #250

Next up, extensions for players under contract for 2018 -

Duane Brown gets the following extension -

Duane Brown
    4 years
    $44m contract value
    $13.5m Signing Bonus
    $11m Average Per Year (APY)

K.J. Wright gets this extension -

K.J. Wright
    4 years
    $28m
    $8m Signing Bonus
    $7m Average Per Year

Frank Clark gets extended, too -

Frank Clark
    4 years
    $41m
    $18m Signing Bonus
    $10.25m Average Per Year

Cap space now sits at - $48,942,802

The following players that were on the team in 2017 but are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents get a new contract -

Sheldon Richardson
    4 years
    $40m
    $10m Signing Bonus
    $10m Average Per Year

The team decides to have Bradley McDougald take over at free safety and locks him up for 3 years and gives him a nice pay rise.

Bradley McDougald
    3 year
    $15.75m
    $4m Signing Bonus
    $5.25m Avergage Per Year

Luke Willson
    2 years
    $3.5m
    $1.5m signing bonus
    $1.75m Average Per Year

DeShawn Shead
    1 Year
    $1.2m
    $200k Signing Bonus
    $1.2m Average Per Year

With the UFA's done, that leaves the ERFA's and RFA's. As it stands, we have 44 players under contract for 2018.

J.D. McKissic (RB) gets an ERFA Tender, cap hit for 2018 is $630,000

Tyler Ott (LS) gets an ERFA Tender, cap hit for 2018 is $555,000

Quinton Jefferson (DT) gets an ERFA Tender, cap hit for 2018 is $630,000

Joey Hunt (C) gets an ERFA Tender, cap hit for 2018 of $630,000

Branden Jackson (DE) gets an ERFA Tender, cap hit for 2018 of $630,000

Onto the RFA's -

Justin Coleman went undrafted originally, so you can't put an 'original round tender' on him really, so a 2nd round gets put on him, cap hit for 2018 of $2,916,000

Dion Jordan was a 1st round pick, so you can use the 'original round tender' on him for a lower cap hit. His play will cost the team $1,908,000 in 2018

That's it for players that are extended early, brought back to the team as well as ERFA's and RFA's done.

The roster now sits at 51 players under contract with $27,510,469 in cap room for the draft and free agency.

Now onto Free Agency -

Carlos Hyde (RB)
    2 year
    $8.8m
    $3m Signing Bonus
    $4.4m Average Per Year
    2018 cap hit of $4,200,000

Allan Robinson (WR)
    3 year
    $33m
    $9m signing bonus
    $11m Average Per Year
    2018 cap hit of $7,600,000

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE)
    1 year
    $1.5m
    $500k Signing Bonus
    2018 cap hit of $1,500,000

Alex Okafor (DE)
    1 Year
    $2.75m
    $1m Signing Bonus
    2018 cap hit of $2,750,000

Cap space is now $11,460,469 with just the draft class to pay and keeping some dollars held back for mid season injuries.

Draft -

I'm going to make the following trades with our collection of draft picks -

Round 1 #18 gets traded to Cleveland for their second round (#33), third round (#65) and fifth round (#140)
    Round 1 #26 and round 5 (#150) gets traded to Denver for their second round (40) and third round (#71)
    Seattle trades up to round 3 (#86) with Kansas City for their Round 4 (#122), round 5 (#140) and round 7 (#226)

Their draft board now looks like this -

Round 2 - #33
    Round 2 - #40
    Round 3 - #65
    Round 3 - #71
    Round 3 - #86
    Round 4 - #128
    Round 5 - #143
    Round 5 - #146
    Round 5 - #170
    Round 7 - #248
    Round 7 - #250

That's 11 picks (exactly the same as last year) with a draft trade value of 1,878 points. They started off with a total of 1,012 points so provided a average portion of their selections prove to be hits, not misses, the draft class could add real value to the roster.

This draft class also costs the 2018 cap exactly $8,072,677.

The Seahawks select the following players in this years draft -

Round 2 - #33 - OG Isaiah Wynn
    Round 2 - #40 - RB Ronald Jones II
    Round 3 - #65 - EDGE Marcel Frazier
    Round 3 - #71 - WR Michael Gallup
    Round 3 - #86 - CB Quenton Meeks
    Round 4 - #128 - EDGE - Trevon Young
    Round 5 - #143 - RB Ito Smith
    Round 5 - #146 - OLB Shaquem Griffin
    Round 5 - #170 - OT Brandon Parker
    Round 7 - #248 - P Michael Dickson
    Round 7 - #250 - OLB - Hercules Mata'afa

Their 53 man depth chart would look as follows -

Red indicates rookie
    Blue indicates outside FA

Offense -

Defense -

Special Teams -

This leaves $3,387,742 for mid season signings.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am
  • Nobody else want to join in?
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm
  • original poster wrote:Nobody else want to join in?

haha ..well, first, that's all really awesome up there . Love all the details and all the hypotheticals, really fun exercise!. I love reading it

For me, I don't have the knowledge or analysis to throw down here, but I am definitely anxious to read hopefully a lot more ideas in this thread. Me trying to do this exercise would be laughable. :) But can't wait to read other smarty folks jump in on this

byau
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

At first I kinda wanted to but it reminded me of my days in college when I had to do a financial analysis on a stock, which would take 40+ hours to do. For me I have rudimentary knowledge about contracts and how they work. To do this exercise it looks like you have to be very well versed with them.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm
  • Interesting thread, will need to take time to post my reply.

In sunny Cancun at the moment so that might take a few days, manyana.

For now tequila.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    original poster wrote:Nobody else want to join in?

At first I kinda wanted to but it reminded me of my days in college when I had to do a financial analysis on a stock, which would take 40+ hours to do. For me I have rudimentary knowledge about contracts and how they work. To do this exercise it looks like you have to be very well versed with them.

I think some may be overthinking how to do this project. My goal was not to have people over analyze the process, but to just pretend you're the gm and try to make decisions for the team. No one is expecting you or anyone else to put massive amount of time figuring out the cap space to the dollar. Just try your best.

That's all.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Were waiting for you to play a third time Doctor Watson :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm
  • I love these. I'll throw my fantasy GM hat on when i have time to sit down and go through it thoroughly.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    original poster wrote:Nobody else want to join in?

Were waiting for you to play a third time Doctor Watson :)

I'm bloody tempted, my main interest is the salary cap and the CBA (as you can probably tell!)

Just to confirm, though, the idea isn't necessarily to go into dollar accurate deals.

If you wanted to write -

Resign Paul Richardson
    5 years $40m with a 2018 cap number of $5m, that's absolutely fine.

I only broke the contracts down because I enjoy doing it, it's absolutely not a prerequisite of the thread. :2thumbs:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 am
  • Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Of those who have been the GM so far: have the moves you've made mortgaged our space in future years?
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 am
  • Beren wrote:Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Of those who have been the GM so far: have the moves you've made mortgaged our space in future years?

Most of mine were progressively loaded with pretty even increases in cap hits. You could very easily lower the prorated bonuses and adjust the P5 base salaries if you wanted though.

Assuming Jeremy Lane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Jon Ryan aren't on the roster in 2019, Seattle has $101,008,510 in cap space. Albeit with only 19 players on the roster. But assuming you can get 7 2018 rookies on the roster they will likely end up will over $90M and 26 players on the roster.

They can do whatever they damn well please next year :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 am
  • original poster wrote:
    Beren wrote:Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Most of mine were progressively loaded with pretty even increases in cap hits. You could very easily lower the prorated bonuses and adjust the P5 base salaries if you wanted though.

Assuming Jeremy Lane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Jon Ryan aren't on the roster in 2019, Seattle has $101,008,510 in cap space. Albeit with only 19 players on the roster. But assuming you can get 7 2018 rookies on the roster they will likely end up will over $90M and 26 players on the roster.

Thanks for the reply. The bit in the bold feels mindblowing given where we are now!

Surprising lack of Sherman mentions in this GM'ing so far.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 am
  • Yeah it will be very interesting to see what they do with all that cap space next year.

They could easily sign anyone they wanted this season as long as they'd accept a low prorated signing bonus and low salary in 2018 with a big increase in 2019. Exciting times ahead.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 am
  • With Sherman I stated in another thread you re do his deal, give him a extension but with incentives built in he can reach easily if healthy, put a bonus out there for him and add a couple years.

If he is willing he can still earn money if healthy, if not back to form we get a better deal, we also make it easier to trade him, that's the part he may not be willing to swallow.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:With Sherman I stated in another thread you re do his deal, give him a extension but with incentives built in he can reach easily if healthy, put a bonus out there for him and add a couple years.

If he is willing he can still earn money if healthy, if not back to form we get a better deal, we also make it easier to trade him, that's the part he may not be willing to swallow.

As long as I’m reading what you’re saying right that wound fall under LTBE (likely to be earned) and NLTBE (not likely to be earned).

You still have to account for both in the cap so it wouldn’t necessarily help the team, although I guess it would help them if they needed to cut him further down the line.

ETA - NLTBE actually doesn’t count towards that years cap money, if a NLTBE incentive is in fact earned, it gets taken off the following years cap spend. Had to check as I wasn’t 100%.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 pm
  • Incase anyone is interested, the way the league determines what is LTBE and NLTBE is based off the previous year.

For example if they added a possible bonus of $3m that if he played in all 16 games in 2018 the league would class that as NLTBE as he didn’t play in all 16 games in 2017. The team still have to account for that in 2018 cap space but would get relief the following year if it didn’t happen.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 pm
  • Games played.

Pro Bowl.

All Pro.

Interceptions or passes defensed or a level of QB completion percentage against him for the season.

Making the Playoffs.

Just a few ideas.

All things he can pretty much control with his own play ability, feeds his ego, feeds his competitiveness, motivates as well as allows a trade at any time that should be cheaper in the event we draft or one of the young guys steps up and beats him out.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 am
  • original poster wrote:
    Beren wrote:Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Damn I almost want you to be the GM ..
    To me the FO doesn't seem to always know what is doing half of the time.
    Please do this again every season.I really got to see this..(Fun to read)
    I don't have the time to put one together but you wouldn't like it anyways.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:

Damn I almost want you to be the GM ..
    To me the FO doesn't seem to always know what is doing half of the time.
    Please do this again every season.I really got to see this..(Fun to read)
    I don't have the time to put one together but you wouldn't like it anyways.

I asked, they weren't interested. :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 am
  • If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

There's 3 good picks that can be traded before the draft. 2 thirds and a 4th.

In a draft deep with RB, TE and OT, the Hawks should be able to reload.
    GIRL POWER !!!!!!!
    Ginahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am
  • Ginahawk wrote:If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

Comp picks aren’t computed until the following offseason. We could not trade them this year before they’ve even computed what we are getting. We would be able to trade them next offseason.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:38 am
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

Comp picks aren’t computed until the following offseason. We could not trade them this year before they’ve even computed what we are getting. We would be able to trade them next offseason.

This year comp picks are tradeable and that includes future comp picks.
    GIRL POWER !!!!!!!
    Ginahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:09 pm
  • Ginahawk wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

We don’t have any comp picks this year. How could we trade future comp picks when we don’t even know what they will be? The league doesn’t even calculate who is getting comp picks until the following year.

I understand comp picks are tradeable. The comp picks teams have this draft are from last years free agency. The company picks awarded to teams for next years draft will not be calculated and awarded until after the season is over. You can’t trade something you don’t currently have. Any comp pick we get from this years free agency will be tradeable next draft, not this current one.
    Last edited by pcbball12 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Are half-assed GM attempts ok?

Cut:
    Lane
    Avril
    Ryan

Trade: (wouldn't trade any of these guys for less than this)
    Thomas for a 1st
    Sherman for a 2nd or early 3rd
    Bennett for a 3rd

re-sign:
    S Bradley McDougald 2 years $8M
    CB Byron Maxwell 2 year $8M
    CB Justin Coleman 1 year $3M
    DE Dion Jordan 1 year $2M

Sign:
    SS Eric Reid 3 years $24M
    TE Tyler Eifert 2 years $12M
    DE Alex Okafor 1 year $3M
    CB Jalen Collins 1 year vet min

Bonus - if enough money left over, sign DL Sheldon Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson 1 year $9M (Wilkerson expected to be released by Jets) and/or vet RB like Carlos Hyde 1 year $4M.

Trade:
    4th round pick to Steelers for WR Martavis Bryant - $700k cap hit

Draft:
    1st DL
    1st OL
    2nd BPA
    3rd RB
    Use the three 5th rounders and four 7th rounders to move up and pick BPA with those picks.
    Last edited by massari on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:

We don’t have any comp picks this year. How could we trade future comp picks when we don’t even know what they will be? The league doesn’t even calculate who is getting comp picks until the following year.

I understand comp picks are tradeable. The comp picks teams have this draft are from last years free agency. The company picks awarded to teams for next years draft will not be calculated and awarded until after the season is over. You can’t trade something you don’t currently have. Any comp pick we get from this years free agency will be tradeable next draft, not this current one.

Ginahawk is correct.

As far as I’m aware 2019 comp picks can be traded in 2018. Teams have a pretty good idea what comp picks are coming their way, although the NFL doesn’t officially share the (pretty complicated) formula for comp picks, if sites like OTC can accurately work them out, so can NFL teams.

If for example Sheldon signs with a team other than Seattle, the front office will be able to work out what comp pick will be awarded long before the team announce it.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:Comp picks aren’t computed until the following offseason. We could not trade them this year before they’ve even computed what we are getting. We would be able to trade them next offseason.

Ginahawk is correct.

As far as I’m aware 2019 comp picks can be traded in 2018. Teams have a pretty good idea what comp picks are coming their way, although the NFL doesn’t officially share the (pretty complicated) formula for comp picks, if sites like OTC can accurately work them out, so can NFL teams.

If for example Sheldon signs with a team other than Seattle, the front office will be able to work out what comp pick will be awarded long before the team announce it.

Having a good idea of what you may be getting or not, you can’t trade something you don’t currently have.

Edit: I just looked it up. Appears I am wrong. You can trade future comp picks, but if you aren’t awarded one it reverts to your original round pick a round later. There has to be stipulations in the trade it seems. Seems extremely flawed, but I guess you are correct
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:

Ginahawk is correct.

Having a good idea of what you may be getting or not, you can’t trade something you don’t currently have.

Edit: I just looked it up. Appears I am wrong. You can trade future comp picks, but if you aren’t awarded one it reverts to your original round pick a round later. There has to be stipulations in the trade it seems. Seems extremely flawed, but I guess you are correct

I was thinking your way and I am shocked that you can trade on assumption..
    The NFL needs to fix that flawed way of awarding picks to a set process.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:49 am
  • The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

It takes all sorts of things into consideration, mainly contract value but also things like snap counts etc.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am
  • original poster wrote:The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

It takes all sorts of things into consideration, mainly contract value but also things like snap counts etc.

Ya, I know loosely what the formula consists of. But, if snap count has a factor, it blows my mind you can trade future comp picks before a player has even hit the field with his new team.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:20 pm
  • Really enjoying this thread. I only have informed opinions on current Seahawks players and select few opponents, and this year, pretty much no college players. I'll take a shot at this based on what I saw this year.

Overall I subscribe to much of kf3339's approach in the first post of this thread. Younger and cheaper on D. Apologies for my plagiarism. And, I want to get back to Pete's core values as a coach, play elite defense, and be able to run the football when we need to.

Part 1. Player cuts:

I don't see the point of cutting Jon Ryan as it seems like he hits boomers when we really need it. However, I may be giving him too much cred for past seasons and not noticing a performance decline. I don't want to save $1M on a punter, like on a placekicker, and have it cost us two games and the playoffs.

Re-structuring:

Duane Brown - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $4M this year. Saves us about $3M in cap space this year.

Frees $15M in cap space, now at $29M.

Part 2. Our FA re-signings:

Bradley McDougal - 3 year contract $10M total with $2M signing bonus and 1st year base of $1M
    Dion Jordan - 2 year contract for $10M at $2.5M first year and team option for $7.5M second year

I don't think Sheldon Richardson improves us enough over our homegrown young DT talent to be worth the money. Richardson looked really good the first half dozen or so games, with interior QB pressure, but then seemed to become less disruptive, and I'm just not sold on the overall package for the cost.
    I'd love to see Paul Richardson back in a Seahawks uniform, but not at the cost of overpaying him, and the downside is that he is a liability in run blocking.

This leaves about $20M in cap space for free agency and the draft.

Part 2A: Free agent targets:

Our motto: First, do no harm. And no reaching. Eddie Laces-Tied-Together, and Luke Joke, I'm looking at you.

TBD, OG - Looking for an NFL-quality lineman, strong in run game, average or better in pass pro. Defer to scouts and GM on naming specific targets. Target budget $6M, up to $8M for higher quality. Let's not miss out on another T.J. Lang.
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
    LB - Let's let Ken Norton Jr pick out an under-appreciated LB or two who will gain new life in this defense. Budget $4M.

If we can pick up a veteran G who fits Solari and Schottenheimer's scheme, beyond his play, he could also provide an example and mentor to the younger guys.
    Crossing my fingers on the RT position, hoping Solari can make an existing guy or draft pick work.
    I like ASJ as a player and think he could find new life in Seattle and would be more willing to return to his college hometown.
    Defensively, I like our D-Line, and it's LB depth I'm concerned about, and a truly viable backup for Earl, and CB depth, as our Corners always seem to get nicked up during the season.
    From the Dream On dept.: I really like Jay Ajayi, he is the only back I've seen who makes me think of Lynch in his prime. I think we missed that train.

That should leave roughly $7M in cap at this point. A little on the low-shaky side, in case of the need for midseason deals that require cap room. As I understand it, we were stuck with K Blair Witch due to having no room under the salary cap to sign a (better) replacement, mid-season.

Part 2B: Player trades:

Not going to trade Bennett. He played at a high level despite injury this year. Not a fan of the activism stuff, but going to ignore that. IMO he outperforms his contract. Keep.
    I don't think we can get value for Earl Thomas compared to what he means to our defense. Earl's an emotional, sometimes impulsive guy who runs his mouth at times. Just a reflection of his passion for the game. Remember a couple days after breaking his leg he was tweeting about retiring? Yeah. Emotional, impulsive, and playing at a high level again. Keep. Draft his replacement and let Earl mentor him.

Part 3. Draft

FS, My top priority would be finding a successor/understudy for Earl Thomas at FS. First round, but no reaching if not there.
    SS, After that, I'd like to find a successor to Kam at SS, to be McDougal's understudy/backup for a year or two. Granted, Kams don't grow on trees. Kam-Bam was originally a 5th rounder; seems like long odds for lightning to strike twice.
    CB, Next priority would be to add some CB depth. I think we'll get a really good season out of Sherman this year, and let's bring in some CB depth who can benefit from his mentoring.
    WR, Paul Richardson is probably gone/overpriced, so we need to bring in some receiver depth to groom. NFL level WR's, aside from Doug Baldwin, seem to need a full season or two to become true NFL-quality WRs. I think/hope Darboh from last year will start to show up more this year. Let's draft a couple prospects and let them develop and compete.
    RBs, what a crapshoot. Our RBs all get injured. Maybe if our OL sucks less this year, they'll stay healthier? Yes, let's take a flyer on a couple unique talents if we have the opportunity. If Chris Carson comes back at the same level, that would help.
    QB: We need a QB understudy to groom for times when Russell may not be available. Let's see what is available around the 5th and 6th rounds. Kirk Cousins, Russell's college adversary, was a 5th rounder the same year as Russell. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, IIRC. Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles about the value of having a backup QB who can come in and get the job done. I remember the AFC West days when the Seahawks would play John Elway and the Broncos, and Elway was out injured. Awesome, we're winning this game for sure! And then Elway's backup, Gary Kubiak, now an NFL head coach, would come in and carve up our defense for a Broncos win. Kubiak was an 8th rounder, ie, today, a UDFA.
    LB, If we see a good prospect in the middle rounds, pull the trigger. KJ Wright was a 5th rounder IIRC. We need to be developing some LB depth and successors.
    I'm wary of taking OL high. Maybe it's the memory of past failures.

Of course, publicly as the GM, I have to give the media BS and smokescreen, to keep everyone guessing. So I'll talk endlessly about how we are going to try hard to find DEs, DTs, and OLs in the draft, and name a few players that will be long gone by our picks as players we are targeting. Misdirection is part of the GM job.

Part 4. Player development (No cap impact aside from Practice Squad players making active roster)

TE, I'm hoping Tyrone Swoopes from Practice squad can make the roster and add some regular season contributions at TE this year.
    WRM Looking for Amarah Darboh to contribute more at WR.
    TE, Luke Vannett, here's looking, er, blocking at you.
    WR/TE Tanner McEvoy, did you take notes watching Jimmy G do his thing in the red zone? This will be your 3rd year in the NFL, *if* you make the team. Show us.
    DB/CB/SS/FS What do we have in our young DB's? Shaq Griffin is the real deal. Delano Hill, show us this year. And wasn't there one more young DB draft pick? Whoever you are, let's not be nameless anymore, make us know your name with your play.
    DT, Looking for even bigger things from our young DTs. Naz Jones, keep it up. QJ, show us even more this year. We know you can.
    DE, Branden Jackson can you get on the field more and get your name called more this year? You showed us flashes.

Young OL guys, who is going to step it up under Mike Solari's tutelage?

I'm including player development as I think it's a super important factor to consider, as it affects draft choices and free agent acquisitions. Pete & Co. put a lot of effort into developing the *whole roster*; it's one of Pete's strengths as a coach and leader.

Part 5. Other key factors - Existing players

CB, Richard Sherman, I fully expect Sherm to come back and play at a very high level. That's his makeup. I'm counting on that. I'll take some young corners in the draft, UDFAs or maybe pick up some under-appreciated young vets who would benefit from Sherman's tutelage. Out of Avril, Kam, and Sherman, the only one I expect to play another snap as a Seahawk is Sherman.
    RB, Chris Carson, if it is looking like Carson will come back at a pre-injury level, he's my bell-cow RB. I don't have enough info to say right now. Hoping for good news prior to draft.
    DE/DT, Michael Bennett, I think Bennett provides the value we pay him for, makes timely key plays, and plays through injury while still performing well. Keeping him.
    DT, Malcolm McDowell, is this guy a football player, or a bust? Hoping to find out it's the first one this year.

I haven't truly addressed the edge rusher issue in my GM approach. That's a hole that needs to be filled. It looks like no Cliff Avril ever again, barring a miracle. Frank Clark does a great job, but we need it from both sides. Right now, I'm banking on getting Dion Jordan resigned, having him stay straight and play well, and hoping we get lucky, maybe find the next Chris Clemons in free agency, but I do not have a confident plan on this yet.

You know what, though... sometimes the teams that have the big year are teams that get a little lucky, have fewer injuries, and have unexpected guys come through. Kurt Warner and the SB champion StL Rams anyone? How about those Eagles, this year? Not to mention Case Closed and the Vikings. Yeah, more non-QB examples would help. OK, in 2013, let's go with Chris Clemons, Golden Tate, Malcolm Smith, Jerome Kearse, and even Bowie and Bailey, for not sucking worse, all were some non-name players (at the time) who made key plays at key times, leading to that SB48 win. Oh yeah, and that massively underpaid Russell Wilson dude at QB. Basically, the 2013 team was able to put $20M more of non-QB talent than other teams could, with Russell on his rookie contract.

I realize my GM work may come across as a "stand pat" approach more than some. It's partly that I like our young talent and believe in Pete's player development program, and partly that I don't really track free agents and college players to know very many names of guys with the right "game" to plug in, and also... In the recent past, the Seahawks have screwed themselves by trying to do too much in free agency, apparently out of desperation and maybe even desire to please the media by "doing something". Before there was Lacy and Joeckel, there was Harvin and that sucky overpaid CB we got from Philly. Corey or Cary something I think. First do no harm.

Anyway, I'd have to bring in some really good consultants and have the scouts do great work to avoid being sacked after (in middle of?) my first season. Scott McCloughan, I'll pay you well, set you up with an on-prem suite, complete with--well, never mind. Just be of clear mind when helping make key decisions on players.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm
  • Ginahawk wrote:If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

I wanna keep Jimmy, but they need to let him go. I agree with your post.
    Rack up the COMP picks for 2019.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:Really enjoying this thread. I only have informed opinions on current Seahawks players and select few opponents, and this year, pretty much no college players. I'll take a shot at this based on what I saw this year.

Overall I subscribe to much of kf3339's approach in the first post of this thread. Younger and cheaper on D. Apologies for my plagiarism. And, I want to get back to Pete's core values as a coach, play elite defense, and be able to run the football when we need to.

Part 1. Player cuts:

I don't see the point of cutting Jon Ryan as it seems like he hits boomers when we really need it. However, I may be giving him too much cred for past seasons and not noticing a performance decline. I don't want to save $1M on a punter, like on a placekicker, and have it cost us two games and the playoffs.

Re-structuring:

Frees $15M in cap space, now at $29M.

Part 2. Our FA re-signings:

I don't think Sheldon Richardson improves us enough over our homegrown young DT talent to be worth the money. Richardson looked really good the first half dozen or so games, with interior QB pressure, but then seemed to become less disruptive, and I'm just not sold on the overall package for the cost.
    I'd love to see Paul Richardson back in a Seahawks uniform, but not at the cost of overpaying him, and the downside is that he is a liability in run blocking.

This leaves about $20M in cap space for free agency and the draft.

Part 2A: Free agent targets:

Our motto: First, do no harm. And no reaching. Eddie Laces-Tied-Together, and Luke Joke, I'm looking at you.

TBD, OG - Looking for an NFL-quality lineman, strong in run game, average or better in pass pro. Defer to scouts and GM on naming specific targets. Target budget $6M, up to $8M for higher quality. Let's not miss out on another T.J. Lang.
    LB - Let's let Ken Norton Jr pick out an under-appreciated LB or two who will gain new life in this defense. Budget $4M.

If we can pick up a veteran G who fits Solari and Schottenheimer's scheme, beyond his play, he could also provide an example and mentor to the younger guys.
    Crossing my fingers on the RT position, hoping Solari can make an existing guy or draft pick work.
    I like ASJ as a player and think he could find new life in Seattle and would be more willing to return to his college hometown.
    Defensively, I like our D-Line, and it's LB depth I'm concerned about, and a truly viable backup for Earl, and CB depth, as our Corners always seem to get nicked up during the season.
    From the Dream On dept.: I really like Jay Ajayi, he is the only back I've seen who makes me think of Lynch in his prime. I think we missed that train.

That should leave roughly $7M in cap at this point. A little on the low-shaky side, in case of the need for midseason deals that require cap room. As I understand it, we were stuck with K Blair Witch due to having no room under the salary cap to sign a (better) replacement, mid-season.

Part 2B: Player trades:

Not going to trade Bennett. He played at a high level despite injury this year. Not a fan of the activism stuff, but going to ignore that. IMO he outperforms his contract. Keep.
    I don't think we can get value for Earl Thomas compared to what he means to our defense. Earl's an emotional, sometimes impulsive guy who runs his mouth at times. Just a reflection of his passion for the game. Remember a couple days after breaking his leg he was tweeting about retiring? Yeah. Emotional, impulsive, and playing at a high level again. Keep. Draft his replacement and let Earl mentor him.

Part 3. Draft

FS, My top priority would be finding a successor/understudy for Earl Thomas at FS. First round, but no reaching if not there.
    SS, After that, I'd like to find a successor to Kam at SS, to be McDougal's understudy/backup for a year or two. Granted, Kams don't grow on trees. Kam-Bam was originally a 5th rounder; seems like long odds for lightning to strike twice.
    CB, Next priority would be to add some CB depth. I think we'll get a really good season out of Sherman this year, and let's bring in some CB depth who can benefit from his mentoring.
    WR, Paul Richardson is probably gone/overpriced, so we need to bring in some receiver depth to groom. NFL level WR's, aside from Doug Baldwin, seem to need a full season or two to become true NFL-quality WRs. I think/hope Darboh from last year will start to show up more this year. Let's draft a couple prospects and let them develop and compete.
    RBs, what a crapshoot. Our RBs all get injured. Maybe if our OL sucks less this year, they'll stay healthier? Yes, let's take a flyer on a couple unique talents if we have the opportunity. If Chris Carson comes back at the same level, that would help.
    QB: We need a QB understudy to groom for times when Russell may not be available. Let's see what is available around the 5th and 6th rounds. Kirk Cousins, Russell's college adversary, was a 5th rounder the same year as Russell. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, IIRC. Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles about the value of having a backup QB who can come in and get the job done. I remember the AFC West days when the Seahawks would play John Elway and the Broncos, and Elway was out injured. Awesome, we're winning this game for sure! And then Elway's backup, Gary Kubiak, now an NFL head coach, would come in and carve up our defense for a Broncos win. Kubiak was an 8th rounder, ie, today, a UDFA.
    LB, If we see a good prospect in the middle rounds, pull the trigger. KJ Wright was a 5th rounder IIRC. We need to be developing some LB depth and successors.
    I'm wary of taking OL high. Maybe it's the memory of past failures.

Of course, publicly as the GM, I have to give the media BS and smokescreen, to keep everyone guessing. So I'll talk endlessly about how we are going to try hard to find DEs, DTs, and OLs in the draft, and name a few players that will be long gone by our picks as players we are targeting. Misdirection is part of the GM job.

Part 4. Player development (No cap impact aside from Practice Squad players making active roster)

TE, I'm hoping Tyrone Swoopes from Practice squad can make the roster and add some regular season contributions at TE this year.
    WRM Looking for Amarah Darboh to contribute more at WR.
    TE, Luke Vannett, here's looking, er, blocking at you.
    WR/TE Tanner McEvoy, did you take notes watching Jimmy G do his thing in the red zone? This will be your 3rd year in the NFL, *if* you make the team. Show us.
    DB/CB/SS/FS What do we have in our young DB's? Shaq Griffin is the real deal. Delano Hill, show us this year. And wasn't there one more young DB draft pick? Whoever you are, let's not be nameless anymore, make us know your name with your play.
    DT, Looking for even bigger things from our young DTs. Naz Jones, keep it up. QJ, show us even more this year. We know you can.
    DE, Branden Jackson can you get on the field more and get your name called more this year? You showed us flashes.

Young OL guys, who is going to step it up under Mike Solari's tutelage?

I'm including player development as I think it's a super important factor to consider, as it affects draft choices and free agent acquisitions. Pete & Co. put a lot of effort into developing the *whole roster*; it's one of Pete's strengths as a coach and leader.

Part 5. Other key factors - Existing players

CB, Richard Sherman, I fully expect Sherm to come back and play at a very high level. That's his makeup. I'm counting on that. I'll take some young corners in the draft, UDFAs or maybe pick up some under-appreciated young vets who would benefit from Sherman's tutelage. Out of Avril, Kam, and Sherman, the only one I expect to play another snap as a Seahawk is Sherman.
    RB, Chris Carson, if it is looking like Carson will come back at a pre-injury level, he's my bell-cow RB. I don't have enough info to say right now. Hoping for good news prior to draft.
    DE/DT, Michael Bennett, I think Bennett provides the value we pay him for, makes timely key plays, and plays through injury while still performing well. Keeping him.
    DT, Malcolm McDowell, is this guy a football player, or a bust? Hoping to find out it's the first one this year.

I haven't truly addressed the edge rusher issue in my GM approach. That's a hole that needs to be filled. It looks like no Cliff Avril ever again, barring a miracle. Frank Clark does a great job, but we need it from both sides. Right now, I'm banking on getting Dion Jordan resigned, having him stay straight and play well, and hoping we get lucky, maybe find the next Chris Clemons in free agency, but I do not have a confident plan on this yet.

You know what, though... sometimes the teams that have the big year are teams that get a little lucky, have fewer injuries, and have unexpected guys come through. Kurt Warner and the SB champion StL Rams anyone? How about those Eagles, this year? Not to mention Case Closed and the Vikings. Yeah, more non-QB examples would help. OK, in 2013, let's go with Chris Clemons, Golden Tate, Malcolm Smith, Jerome Kearse, and even Bowie and Bailey, for not sucking worse, all were some non-name players (at the time) who made key plays at key times, leading to that SB48 win. Oh yeah, and that massively underpaid Russell Wilson dude at QB. Basically, the 2013 team was able to put $20M more of non-QB talent than other teams could, with Russell on his rookie contract.

I realize my GM work may come across as a "stand pat" approach more than some. It's partly that I like our young talent and believe in Pete's player development program, and partly that I don't really track free agents and college players to know very many names of guys with the right "game" to plug in, and also... In the recent past, the Seahawks have screwed themselves by trying to do too much in free agency, apparently out of desperation and maybe even desire to please the media by "doing something". Before there was Lacy and Joeckel, there was Harvin and that sucky overpaid CB we got from Philly. Corey or Cary something I think. First do no harm.

Anyway, I'd have to bring in some really good consultants and have the scouts do great work to avoid being sacked after (in middle of?) my first season. Scott McCloughan, I'll pay you well, set you up with an on-prem suite, complete with--well, never mind. Just be of clear mind when helping make key decisions on players.

Thanks for the shout out, but the post is your own work. Great Job!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    Ginahawk wrote:

Ginahawk is correct.

Yeah, I heard it on the radio weeks ago, and also looked it up before posting that. They are hypothetical picks but can be used, and boy do we need to be able to hypothetically use them this year.
    GIRL POWER !!!!!!!
    Ginahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm
  • One interesting thing about how the NLTBE bonuses affect the following year's cap is that it creates a risk to overspending if NLTBE incentives are correlated. It's obvious that roster wide NLTBE incentives of $1m for winning the Super Bowl could be a very bad idea, but performance based incentives could also correlate if they share key components like offensive success; ie. Duane Brown's games started, RW's passing yards, and Lockett's receiving yards. Dependence causes problems for more than just football statistics.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm
  • March 1 plan.

Objective A
    Maximize talent under a fixed salary cap by getting surplus value from players on rookie contracts. Compensatory picks are key, so this plan focuses on extending existing Hawks, letting some UFAs walk, and largely avoiding UFAs from other teams. Major weaknesses should be filled by extending our own players prior to draft to enable BPA approach. No March UFAs from other teams.

Objective B
    Do not borrow from the future. Sensible cap charges are taken in 2018 to avoid snowballing the problem into future years. Compensatory picks key here as well.

Assumptions
    $178.0m salary cap 2018 (higher than previously expected)

Defensive Line moves
    Extend DT Sheldon Richardson: 5yr @ 12m/yr (10.8m cap hit 2018)
    Release DE Cliff Avril (7.125m savings)
    Re-sign DE Dion Jordan: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
    Send DT Malik McDowell some vitamin water

Linebacker moves
    Pursue cheap veteran UFA in May or later. Wilhoite type SAM replacement (~1m cap hit 2018)
    Sign Will Compton (or similar) in May or later who can backup MIKE and WILL. (1.8m cap hit 2018)

Secondary moves
    Extend FS Earl Thomas: 4yr @13.4m/yr (9.5m cap hit 2018)
    Assume SS Kam Chancellor spends season on IR (9.3m cap hit)
    Re-sign SS Bradley McDougald: 3yr @12m/yr (3.4m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign CB Justin Coleman: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign CB DeShawn Shead: 1yr @ 1.4m/yr (1.4m cap hit 2018)
    Release CB Jeremy Lane (4.75m savings)
    Release CB Neiko Thorpe (1.85m savings)
    Expect growth from Griffin, Elliott, Tyson, Thompson, Hill (experience)
    Let CB Richard Sherman play out his contract due to uncertainty regarding hamstring recovery. Depending on how it goes either extend next offseason or let him walk for a compensatory pick.

Earl's willingness to play here is key to this. If he isn't committed then move on.

QB moves
    None

Running Back moves
    Expect Carson to compete well for RB1 against drafted or veteran RB
    Re-sign Mike Davis: RFA 1yr @ 0.8m/yr (0.8m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign JD McKissic: 1yr @ .63m/yr (0.63m cap hit 2018)
    Do not expect CJ Prosise to contribute but retain anyways (cheap rookie contract)

Offensive Line moves
    Extend Duane Brown: 3yr @ 10.25m/yr (9.75m cap hit 2018)
    Expect growth from Fant and Ifedi (experience)
    Expect growth from Ethan Pocic (building strength)
    Let Luke Joeckel sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 6th)

Receiver/TE moves
    Let Jimmy Graham sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 4th)
    Let Paul Richardson sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 5th)
    Expect growth from Vannett and Darboh (experience)

2018 Draft
    Select at #18 if a top prospect has slipped, but otherwise trade down to acquire more lottery tickets. NYJ may be an ideal trading target if QB is available at #18 that they want.
    Trade #18 and #168 with NYJ for #37 and #49.
    Rookie #37 Pick DE Arden Key (snaps at both EDGE & SAM LB)
    Rookie #49 Pick OG/C Billy Price (day 1 RG)
    Rookie #120 Pick TE Ian Thomas (blocking TE)
    Rookie #141 Pick RB Mark Walton (great hands, ball security)
    Rookie #148 Pick DT Eddy Wilson (good run stopper)
    Rookie #226 Pick K Eddy Pineiro (strong leg)
    Rookie #248 Pick WR Antonio Calloway (raw potential but off field issues)
    Rookie #250 Pick ILB Micah Kiser (MIKE/WILL competition)

Final salary cap (top 52)
    $173.4m out of $178.0m
    ~$4.6m remaining space for injury/cutdown FAs/rollover

2019 draft picks
    1st round
    3rd round
    4th round
    4th round (comp Graham, potential 3rd)
    5th round
    5th round (comp Richardson)
    6th round
    6th round (comp Joeckel)
    7th round

2020 draft picks
    1st round
    2nd round
    3rd round
    3rd round (comp Clark)
    4th round
    5th round
    5th round (comp Sherman)
    6th round
    6th round (comp KJ)
    6th round (comp Lockett)
    7th round
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:March 1 plan.

Objective A
    Maximize talent under a fixed salary cap by getting surplus value from players on rookie contracts. Compensatory picks are key, so this plan focuses on extending existing Hawks, letting some UFAs walk, and largely avoiding UFAs from other teams. Major weaknesses should be filled by extending our own players prior to draft to enable BPA approach. No March UFAs from other teams.

Objective B
    Do not borrow from the future. Sensible cap charges are taken in 2018 to avoid snowballing the problem into future years. Compensatory picks key here as well.

Assumptions
    $178.0m salary cap 2018 (higher than previously expected)

Defensive Line moves
    Extend DT Sheldon Richardson: 5yr @ 12m/yr (10.8m cap hit 2018)
    Release DE Cliff Avril (7.125m savings)
    Re-sign DE Dion Jordan: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
    Send DT Malik McDowell some vitamin water

Linebacker moves
    Pursue cheap veteran UFA in May or later. Wilhoite type SAM replacement (~1m cap hit 2018)
    Sign Will Compton (or similar) in May or later who can backup MIKE and WILL. (1.8m cap hit 2018)

Secondary moves
    Extend FS Earl Thomas: 4yr @13.4m/yr (9.5m cap hit 2018)
    Assume SS Kam Chancellor spends season on IR (9.3m cap hit)
    Re-sign SS Bradley McDougald: 3yr @12m/yr (3.4m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign CB Justin Coleman: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign CB DeShawn Shead: 1yr @ 1.4m/yr (1.4m cap hit 2018)
    Release CB Jeremy Lane (4.75m savings)
    Release CB Neiko Thorpe (1.85m savings)
    Expect growth from Griffin, Elliott, Tyson, Thompson, Hill (experience)
    Let CB Richard Sherman play out his contract due to uncertainty regarding hamstring recovery. Depending on how it goes either extend next offseason or let him walk for a compensatory pick.

Earl's willingness to play here is key to this. If he isn't committed then move on.

QB moves
    None

Running Back moves
    Expect Carson to compete well for RB1 against drafted or veteran RB
    Re-sign Mike Davis: RFA 1yr @ 0.8m/yr (0.8m cap hit 2018)
    Re-sign JD McKissic: 1yr @ .63m/yr (0.63m cap hit 2018)
    Do not expect CJ Prosise to contribute but retain anyways (cheap rookie contract)

Offensive Line moves
    Extend Duane Brown: 3yr @ 10.25m/yr (9.75m cap hit 2018)
    Expect growth from Fant and Ifedi (experience)
    Expect growth from Ethan Pocic (building strength)
    Let Luke Joeckel sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 6th)

Receiver/TE moves
    Let Jimmy Graham sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 4th)
    Let Paul Richardson sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 5th)
    Expect growth from Vannett and Darboh (experience)

2018 Draft
    Select at #18 if a top prospect has slipped, but otherwise trade down to acquire more lottery tickets. NYJ may be an ideal trading target if QB is available at #18 that they want.
    Trade #18 and #168 with NYJ for #37 and #49.
    Rookie #37 Pick DE Arden Key (snaps at both EDGE & SAM LB)
    Rookie #49 Pick OG/C Billy Price (day 1 RG)
    Rookie #120 Pick TE Ian Thomas (blocking TE)
    Rookie #141 Pick RB Mark Walton (great hands, ball security)
    Rookie #148 Pick DT Eddy Wilson (good run stopper)
    Rookie #226 Pick K Eddy Pineiro (strong leg)
    Rookie #248 Pick WR Antonio Calloway (raw potential but off field issues)
    Rookie #250 Pick ILB Micah Kiser (MIKE/WILL competition)

Final salary cap (top 52)
    $173.4m out of $178.0m
    ~$4.6m remaining space for injury/cutdown FAs/rollover

2019 draft picks
    1st round
    3rd round
    4th round
    4th round (comp Graham, potential 3rd)
    5th round
    5th round (comp Richardson)
    6th round
    6th round (comp Joeckel)
    7th round

2020 draft picks
    1st round
    2nd round
    3rd round
    3rd round (comp Clark)
    4th round
    5th round
    5th round (comp Sherman)
    6th round
    6th round (comp KJ)
    6th round (comp Lockett)
    7th round

Great Job! You obviously put a lot of thought into your plan.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 am
  • Fun thread. OK here goes a radical pipe dream from the armchair.

Main theme is the current dog just won't hunt so clean house and re-load with a better draft board. I admit I'm reaching but most draft boards have some serious talent around at #18 that I think could be building blocks that compliment the current crop of young guns in the house.

Sub-theme 1. The whole D takes a big jump if the interior of the D-line gets to Aaron Donald level of disruption. This is my priority because I think the payoff is huge; B-Wags stays clean and free to continue his awesomeness, Frank & Dion get a whole lot more dangerous off the edge and an interior push takes some pressure off a young re-building DB core.

Sub-theme 2. We've already been through the tunnel of hell with the OL and we're coming out the other side. Tinker and fill but no radical surgery.

OK so how to get this done.

CUTS (cap savings 13.9
    Avril
    Lane
    Ryan

TRADES (cap savings 12.6)
    Thomas (1st & 3rd)
    Bennett (4th or 5th)
    Lockete (5th)

RE-STRUCTURE RE-SIGN (cap hit 30)
    Brown
    Richardson 1
    Richardson 2
    Clark
    Wright
    McDougald
    Willson

My math could be off but I think that left me with around 14 cap room for draft class and FAs

DRAFT
    Just for shits and giggles the Hawks use both first round picks for once because some pieces like Derwin James and/or Vita Vea are still hanging around in mid first round.

After that best available player and a stab in the FA dark later and I think the money is gone.
    gcolby
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm
  • So decided to redo some of my GM plan post combine.

Phase 1:

Player Cuts:

John Ryan - Saves $2M on cap space

I chose these three as we need to get younger on defense and Ryan has faded in his play and not worth $3M this next season. I think we can get better with younger players at these positions primarily in the draft. This gives us an extra $14M in cap space bring us to about $28M.

Player Restructurings:

Richard Sherman - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $3.5M this year. Saves us about $7M in cap space this year. I think he does this deal as it gives him the ability to make the same money this year, and help the team cap space situation. It's also a way to keep one of the three LOB to help teach and lead the younger guys. He grated on Richard the last few years, but won't happen with our new DC.

This gives us another $10M and brings our cap space up to about $38M.

Phase 2:

Our FA re-signings:

Sheldon Richardson - We need him in the middle, and I hope he wants to stay here. We won't franchise him, but I think 4 years at $50M with a $12M signing bonus and first year salary of $4M gets it done. I don't want to go back to seeing no pressure up the middle again with our defense. SR solves this problem.

Luke Willson- 2 year contract $1M signing bonus with first year salary at $500K
    DeShawn Shead - 1year contract at $1m, with no signing bonus

This is doable for our team and keeps us with a good nucleus to restructure..... Not Rebuild.

We still have about $22M in cap space after these Re-signings.

Free Agent Targets:

Justin Pugh OG - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $2M first year salary.
    Austin Steferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
    Donte Moncrief WR - 3 year contract, $3M signing bonus and $2M first year salary

Not going to lie. These names have shown up on the board and I just like the idea. My plan would be to add veteran players on offense who can help RW now. These three guys would do that and greatly assist in our restructured run game. Pugh gets plugged in at LG and the left side of our O-line now looks pretty good! Jenkins and Moncrief will be a major plus in the run game and still do well in our passing attack. These FA targets stayed the same.

We now have about $11M in cap space room, if my math is correct.

Player trades:

The draft is going to hinge on several things happening via trade. This is where I think we get extra picks.

Michael Bennett trade - I would trade Bennett for a late 3rd or high 4th round pick in this years draft. This is partly about his age and I think he may be starting to grate on the team leadership. Someone will want him for a few more years.

Earl Thomas Trade - This is where we really get some good draft capital, but not what we completely want. I see us getting a high 2nd and high 3rd round picks for him. What he wants for a 3rd contract just is not in our plans, and we need to draft young players who have a major chip on their shoulders and true hunger to succeed. Earl still has it, but for how long? A shame but he is a casualty.

These two trades bring us about $10M in additional cap space for this year, and bring us to about $21M at this point.

I have left some extra cap room for some post draft and June 1st casualties that could help us. This namely is for a veteran RT, Edge rusher and possibly a quality RB who still has some gas left for a year or two. We also have plenty left to sign our draft picks.

Phase 3:

Draft Day:

At this point we have the following picks:

1st, high 2nd (Thomas), high 3rd (Thomas), low 3rd (Bennett), 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 7th at this point post trades. I also move down in the 1st to pick up a later 3rd and hopefully a 6th as well. So now we have the following With best draft player available with potential position pick:

Round 1 - RB
    Round 2 - OG
    Round 3 - Edge
    Round 3 - SS
    Round 3 -WR
    Round 4 - LB
    Round 5 - DT
    Round 5 -OT
    Round 5 -CB
    Round 6 - P
    Round 7 - K
    Round 7 - OT/OG
    Round 7 - LB

This gives us 13 picks, with 5 in the first three rounds. The combine showed several things to me. First, the best RB and edge rushers aren't going to be around at 18, so may as well trade down. Second, there are some really good potential prospects in day 2 that will be available to us if we trade into this day. My plan above gives us this ability, without burying us in Cap Hell for future years.

I am now going to look more closely at specific players and positions for draft day, so will add in the names in the next few weeks, or certainly before the draft.

My goal still is the same as my first post in this thread. Get younger on Defense and bring in proven vets for the offensive line and TE/WR who can run block and catch. That is the goal.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 am
  • Let Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright go. Love them but we need the cap space.
    Give Sherman and Chancellor one more year and ask them to groom new leadership (yeah, sure).
    Dump Blair Walsh.
    Waive the entire O-line except for Brown, Pocic and Britt.
    Keep Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson.
    Sign Paul Richardson and Tyler Lockett to long-term deals.
    Instruct John Schneider to stop treating draft day like it's his personal day trader portfolio.
    Use the 1st round pick to draft the most NFL ready O-lineman available.
    Throw Eddy Lacy out of a moving train. Naked.
    That'll do it.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:Let Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright go. Love them but we need the cap space.
    Give Sherman and Chancellor one more year and ask them to groom new leadership (yeah, sure).
    Dump Blair Walsh.
    Waive the entire O-line except for Brown, Pocic and Britt.
    Keep Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson.
    Sign Paul Richardson and Tyler Lockett to long-term deals.
    Instruct John Schneider to stop treating draft day like it's his personal day trader portfolio.
    Use the 1st round pick to draft the most NFL ready O-lineman available.
    Throw Eddy Lacy out of a moving train. Naked.
    That'll do it.

Whose going to tell him? :shock:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 pm
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    original poster wrote:The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

Ya, I know loosely what the formula consists of. But, if snap count has a factor, it blows my mind you can trade future comp picks before a player has even hit the field with his new team.

I don't think the wording say future comp pick. but If might Say "Seattle's lowest 3rd round pick in 2019" or a Seattle's lowest pick within the 80-100 pick range
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 pm
  • So many well thought out plans. After recent news i'm going with this

Cut: Sherman, Lane, Ryan, Prosise,
    Restructure: D Brown, KJ, Earl (if no trade for >2nd), Frank Clark
    ?: Avril (could cut or resturcture)
    Trade: Earl
    Resign: S Richardson (<$10M), P Richardson (<$3m), Maxwell, Jordan, Smith, McDougal, Willson
    Let walk: S Richardson(>$10M), P Richardson (>$3m), Jimmy, Jockel, Lacey

Im rally torn about both Sheldon Richardson and Paul Richardson. Is Sheldon really worth over $10M? Is he a great team and scheme fit? I think we might be able to get by adding another young DT early and grabbing a #3 Veteran DT to rotate on 1 year deal.

Paul Richardson has the injury bug but he played really well last year and he played though that nasty broken finger to prove his toughness. I think he should be kept around on a Kearse type deal not Golden Tate $.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 pm
  • We should add a #2 or #3 WR in FA if we lose richardson
    Add a #2 RB if we don't keep Mike Davis
    Blocking TE or maybe ASJ to replace Graham
    Oh and I'd address the OL by bringing in one Vet in the $5-10Mil range and spending one of our top 4 picks on a OL.

#1 Draft need = RB
    we could get a starting back in the 2nd-3rd.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 pm
  • If I am the GM/ President of Football Operations and Head Coach or Pete.

I do what I do best with John and evaluate talent and get our defense back on track.

I also look in the mirror and tell myself, you coach the defense and not the offense, get the players that our coaches need and step back and let them work, simply say we need a balanced attack of run and pass and get out of the way.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm
  • If I was the JS I would fire myself and do the Seahawks a favor.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:37 am

Great stuff to read, but I've not remotely got enough expertise to post about any of this. I so much admire and appreciate all of you who DO, though, and I have learned so much on this site, in many threads.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:Throw Eddy Lacy out of a moving train. Naked.
    That'll do it.

And he'd probably, physically impossibly, simply land stationary on the ground, even if it was a VERY fast train.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information