Carson or Penny?

quadsas

Reaction score
just kidding, here we went frustrations about Pete's supposed hardon for Carson and his actual hardon for Penny.

I think the biggest factor in the loss was not feeding Carson when he was red hot

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was puzzling they didn't seem to give him the ball when they got inside the 10 on that drive after Dissly's long gain.

But it was Denver, so maybe he had to have more rest than usual. Maybe they were trying to save him for the rest of the game but I would think you would want to score TDs as well. Since that is the point of the game and all....

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't look like either of them got enough reps.

Well, Chi-town is a lot closer to sea level, and we get an extra work day, so we should do better there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I've been very optimistic about Carson and still am. However, when you look at the sheer volume of RB injuries we have suffered through over the last three seasons then it makes some sense to split workload in a road non-conference opener.

Seven carries for Penny doesn't seem unreasonable. They could have been better but it's a small sample size and a minor concern at the moment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We need both backs if we want to have a successful run game this year, so I understand why Pete kept giving Penny reps.

I get that people are upset because Carson was the better of the two backs yesterday.........but he's coming off a major leg injury, and he runs to contact, so Pete has to make sure he stays fresh.

Again, we need BOTH backs.

Overall I was disappointed that we went away from the run in the first half, which led to a LOT of 2nd and 3rd and longs, playing right into Denver's defensive rush.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yea, not giving Carson more carries was one of the more confusing aspects of our offense, along with the failure to give our RT (Right Turnstile) Ifedi help on Von Miller by keeping a tight end in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":3smxpdew said:
Yea, not giving Carson more carries was one of the more confusing aspects of our offense, along with the failure to give our RT (Right Turnstile) Ifedi help on Von Miller by keeping a tight end in.

1. We kept a TE in and slid protection to Miller's side on over 75% of the snaps to chip and help Ifedi with Miller.

2. Pete even said this morning that the altitude was getting to Carson and other yesterday, dudes were puking on the sidelines they were so gassed.

So why more Penny? Cause we had to, that's why.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s7x4kww said:
RiverDog":2s7x4kww said:

1. We kept a TE in and slid protection to Miller's side on over 75% of the snaps to chip and help Ifedi with Miller.

2. Pete even said this morning that the altitude was getting to Carson and other yesterday, dudes were puking on the sidelines they were so gassed.

Did we really? Honest question.

If so, then Miller must have had a sack on every single snap where we didn't help Ifedi. My word.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1r8mkkj9 said:
RiverDog":1r8mkkj9 said:

I honestly didn't see us sliding protection and keeping a TE in on Ifedi's side for over 75% of the offensive plays. Maybe 30-40%, but not over 75%. Maybe I'm wrong but my eye test doesn't think so.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uhy2waih said:
RiverDog":uhy2waih said:

How do you know PC is lying? His lips are moving. :sarcasm_off: (Old joke but it applies. I don't believe anything he says.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":1c6dp1fq said:
Sgt. Largent":1c6dp1fq said:
RiverDog":1c6dp1fq said:

How do you know PC is lying? His lips are moving. :sarcasm_off: (Old joke but it applies. I don't believe anything he says.)

Didn't you watch the game? I saw at least 3-4 times of Carson asking to come off for a blow.

Yes the altitude was real, and it contributed to seeing Penny come on probably more than Pete wanted. Pete's never been shy about giving the hot hand to a RB, why do you think he'd just arbitrarily pull Carson?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Clearly Carson is the better back. I'd like to know what the hell the Seahawks were doing drafting Penny 27th overall..

The RB position is so interchangeable so if you use a 1st on a RB, it HAS to be a difference maker... Penny is not a difference maker (as it seems so far).

With so many other areas needing improvement, and Carson as good as he's been, why do that? Especially in a RB class so deep. Undrafted RB Lindsay looked like the best RB in the game by far... undrafted.

I'm pretty upset they wasted such a valuable pick, like that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A few carries in one game and now he's a bust or a horrible draft pick? I don't know, seems way too early to judge a guy who has played all of one game.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carson is #1 in yards per carry among RBs and #2 overall in yards per carry (behind Tyrod Taylor).

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":csyk8hu8 said:
A few carries in one game and now he's a bust or a horrible draft pick? I don't know, seems way too early to judge a guy who has played all of one game.
Would you expect anything less around here?

sutz

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1vps5pmb said:
SoulfishHawk":1vps5pmb said:
Hey, if people couldn't jump to conclusions around here, they'd get no excercise at all. :twisted:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y8793bi said:
HawkerD":2y8793bi said:
Sgt. Largent":2y8793bi said:
RiverDog":2y8793bi said:

Didn't you watch the game? I saw at least 3-4 times of Carson asking to come off for a blow.

Yes the altitude was real, and it contributed to seeing Penny come on probably more than Pete wanted. Pete's never been shy about giving the hot hand to a RB, why do you think he'd just arbitrarily pull Carson?

Because he fumbled. He pulled him right after that.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":19sihp0l said:
Thepeelsessions":19sihp0l said:
SoulfishHawk":19sihp0l said:
Hey, if people couldn't jump to conclusions around here, they'd get no excercise at all. :twisted:
Haha, great point!