George Fant lined up as a slot WR

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1057011405004648449[/tweet]

Imagine being a nickel corner staring into the eyes of a 6'5, 315 lbs offensive tackle lined up in the slot. :mrgreen: That's one way to drain the life out of a defense. As soon as they think they recognize a tendency, you kill them will the action plays. I'm loving the creativity, physicality, and offensive flow we are seeing from this offense.

sutz

Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of the Carolina NFCGG. At the time the whole world was going gaga over WR Steve Smith, who had been tearing it up in the playoffs. He was actually kind of a small guy, definitely not bigger than, say, Doug Baldwin, but quite fast and quick, ran good routes and had good hands.

We shut him down. On several plays, when Smith lined up in the slot, we moved a LB out to jam him at the line. Then we double, triple, and sometimes quadruple teamed him. He ended up with some very mediocre stats for catches and yards, and only scored one TD on a punt return with some rather questionable non-calls on it.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1a74ott0 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1057011405004648449[/tweet]

Imagine being a nickel corner staring into the eyes of a 6'5, 315 lbs offensive tackle lined up in the slot. :mrgreen: That's one way to drain the life out of a defense. As soon as they think they recognize a tendency, you kill them will the action plays. I'm loving the creativity, physicality, and offensive flow we are seeing from this offense.

Got to luv this, in addition to our five starting OL played all the snaps, Fant played close to 30 snaps. When he was in, we had 7 linemen, basically max protection. But Fant can run and jump some, all kinds of mismatch for LBs and CBs. It's like asking a PG to box out a PF.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“It’s been obvious that he’s helped us,’’ Carroll said of Fant, who is listed at 322 pounds. “When you put a guy that weighs 50 pounds heavier than the guys that are playing, or guys that are playing 60 or 70 pounds heavier than some of the guys that play tight end for us, it makes a difference. He can make good movement at the line of scrimmage and pass protects well. He runs really nice routes too.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/

:D

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1uocn4fp said:
“It’s been obvious that he’s helped us,’’ Carroll said of Fant, who is listed at 322 pounds. “When you put a guy that weighs 50 pounds heavier than the guys that are playing, or guys that are playing 60 or 70 pounds heavier than some of the guys that play tight end for us, it makes a difference. He can make good movement at the line of scrimmage and pass protects well. He runs really nice routes too.”

Image Fant hit ya when he had a full head of steam, Ultimate H back. I have been saying Hawks need an additional backup Tackle so Fant can do more what he's been doing.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If we had this play at that SB, we would have 2 rings.
#Stillpissed

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Try it from the stands Joe, still pissed too. But, that's long in the past and it's not why they lost that game.
Blew a 10 point lead in the 4th.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":xt7dmbjt said:
Try it from the stands Joe, still pissed too. But, that's long in the past and it's not why they lost that game.
Blew a 10 point lead in the 4th.

Blew it because they made our players sit for concussed protocol and not the Patriots. or we would have had our defenders out there if you want to use that line of thinking.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Back on topic . . . I love the play and I think it is awesome, but part of me wonders how it actually works. Don't defenses make substitutions based on the players the offense substitutes in? So if they see the Hawks bring in 6 O-lineman, they should be substituting out of Nickel, shouldn't they? There shouldn't even be a nickel back for them to line up against.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
This guy...LOL...is it Font or Fant? I always thought it was Fant; I mean, that's what it says on his jersey. But however he says it...at least he's right about the concept...the athleticism that 74 brings to the table allows this versatility. I'm glad he's being utilized, always great to see a Hilltopper rise to the next level!

Go TOPS!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3v8nk12q said:
This guy...LOL...is it Font or Fant? I always thought it was Fant; I mean, that's what it says on his jersey. But however he says it...at least he's right about the concept...the athleticism that 74 brings to the table allows this versatility. I'm glad he's being utilized, always great to see a Hilltopper rise to the next level!

Go TOPS!

Idk but both would be "fant" you're just talking short vs long A

capncrunch

Reaction score
hawknation2018":sm4pkprv said:

Wow. Yes. As someone else mentioned the offensive creativity is awesome. I was bummed when he got hurt last year. Great to see him back. We're getting him a lot of snaps in a different way. I look forward to seeing him make a catch and start trucking down the field. A basketball player. Great idea!

knownone

Reaction score
Fant actually has pretty good hands for a big fella. It'll be interesting to see if they throw it to him one of these times.