Benson Mayowa Next in line?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
A pass rusher is leaving next year either free agency or a cap casualty. They kept Mayowa off the practice squad for a reason, the hawks did not want anyone claiming him the FO sees somthing they like. in my opinion Mayowa could be leverage for a pay cut or be a cheap replacement for Clemons next year. I know he has only had limited success in the pre-season but he is a cheaper alternative that has potential to rush the passer. I also think that an extra year for Mayowa to develop physically and be able to hold up against the run is a plus.

Brahn

Reaction score
I feel Clem will be gone if it means signing Bennett back. Looking forward to seeing Scruggs and a possibly healthy Monster also.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Hate talking about this stuff right now, don't even want to think about who stays, who goes, though we all know it's inevitable that some of our favorite guys may no longer be playing in Seattle after the Superbowl.

Mayowa has a ton of upside though. Hard to see him not being the next guy in line to move through the "system" at DE.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It could be him or Schofield.

There's no way we can keep Clemons and resign Bennett that I can see.

It's a no brainer who has the biggest impact on our team now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have had guys show up out of nowhere all year.

I would LOVE to see Clem have a monster game in the SB, notch a couple of sacks, a few hurries and push the QB into turning so that Avril or Bennett gets the strip.

It would just be poetic after Clem getting screwed out of games in the playoffs last year because of that injury, and because Clem seems to have been overshadowed this year by the spectacular play of Bennett & Avril. But he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't still useful, so it would be great to see him have a great game because I think his loss last year cost us a chance at a SB.

Still, with the nohuddle element to Denver's offense, we are going to need all the guys on our line to step up so if Mayowa is playing (is he?) or Schofield is, then we need them. If nothing else to keep Avril & Bennett fresh enough and to continually harass Manning.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
IMO, it's a mortal lock that Chris Clemons and his $7.5M contract for 2014 are gone, as a cap cut (barring Clemons accepting a MASSIVE pay cut, which I wouldn't expect him to do).

That leaves Cliff Avril and Benson Mayowa at LEO for 2014. (I don't consider O'Brien Schofield a true LEO - because he isn't - and he'll be a FA this off-season as well, and likely looking for a place where the line to playing time is a little shorter, given that he was a healthy scratch on more than a couple of gamedays this season).

Mayowa needed exactly what he got in 2013 - a "redshirt" year to watch, learn, and get stronger. If the Hawks choose to make Avril the 'starter' at LEO next year, Mayowa should be well-primed to compete as the #2 LEO while working into the rotation on passing downs.

I also fully expect the Hawks to bring in another LEO candidate via the draft - perhaps even as early as the 1st round depending on how the board shakes down. Stanford's Trent Murphy and Auburn's Dee Ford are two names I'd keep in mind for our first pick. For the middle of the draft, Georgia Tech's Jeremiah Attouchou could also hear his name called by the Hawks as a good LEO fit.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Clemons and Avril both have cap hits over $9 million next year, with only $2.167mm and $2.25mm respectively of that being dead money. It is hard to see either one being back without restructuring.

It sucks, but backloaded contracts and inevitable cuts or restructures are the nature of the business.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jared Allen make a run at a SB in Seattle with a modest contract and playing LEO
Bryant and Clem will both be gone next year:(

lukerguy

Reaction score
Jeremy517":18x91jel said:
Clemons and Avril both have cap hits over $9 million next year, with only $2.167mm and $2.25mm respectively of that being dead money. It is hard to see either one being back without restructuring.

It sucks, but backloaded contracts and inevitable cuts or restructures are the nature of the business.

You really think they are going to cut Cliff Avril? I don't. Red Bryant and Clem instead.

Latest posts