Some folks thought Kam's extension was a bit too much $$$

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This is not a thread to knock those folks at all.

I just want to say that he has really upped his coverage skills and, particularly this postseason, he has taken his game to a whole new level. I feel like sometimes, he gets thought of as a slightly lesser cog in the LOB behind Thomas and Sherman, but he's right up there with them by now.

I think he's worth every penny of that 5/35. Amazing player - and he still might be getting better.

Slick

Reaction score
Much agreed. I was very happy last season when we sewed him up for a few years at a modest amount. Imagine if he were becoming a free agent now!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I was wrong. He is probably underpaid now actually. Glad we locked him up

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I was surprised at the money, but now I get it. Holy smokes that guy is incredible. He only got better when the games got harder.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I did, I'll admit it, I didn't think he was worth the money, I was wrong. Glad to admit that.

Outstanding year Kam, I might have to get a jersey since you made a believer outta me.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea there were a lot of people that weren't pumped about that contract. Not that it matters, but I am proud to say I was always big on keeping Kam. But I didn't imagine he'd be this good. He had a postseason for the ages

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised at how much he got, for sure.

Now, I think I might just buy a home 31 for next year.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Kam was the most dominant "Boomer" in the game yesterday. No offense to Sherman or Thomas but Kam was just astounding!

TJH

Reaction score
Kam was our best defender throughout the playoffs. Really gets underrated and overshadowed by Earl and Sherm, but he is so important to us.

lukerguy

Reaction score
He was overpaid at the time. He was coming off an average season. However, we didn't know he was playing poorly because of injury. A healthy Chancellor is well worth the contract. I thought he could have been SB MVP.

McGruff

Reaction score
Loved Kam in college. Thought he was a better prospect than Taylor Mays and was routinely laughed at for that opinion. There is not another player in the last 15 years of draft nicking that I wanted on the Seahawks more than Kam Chancellor . . . and was thrilled when we locked him up. I always thought the knocks on his coverage skills were overstated, and that he was a well rounded safety.

The last year and a half has me feeling very smug and justified. Thanks Kam!

(FTR . . . my second favorite defensive player is Malcolm Smith, and again I get laughed at for thinking he's better than Wright . . . )

AgentDib

Reaction score
I was biased on this point because Kam has been my favorite player on defense for a couple of years now. It did seem like a lot of money for a strong safety, but second guessing Pete and John on the value of secondary players in their scheme seems foolhardy based on their track record.

lukerguy":288vjakh said:
He was overpaid at the time. He was coming off an average season. However, we didn't know he was playing poorly because of injury. A healthy Chancellor is well worth the contract. I thought he could have been SB MVP.
This is an odd take on salaries. What you did in the past is over and done; your paycheck is based on expected future performances and the past is only useful for how it can inform your thinking about the future. You are calling Kam overpaid here based on incomplete information, when you should instead be focusing on the incomplete information as a reason to lower your confidence in future analyses.

lukerguy

Reaction score
AgentDib":bc4fk78q said:
I was biased on this point because Kam has been my favorite player on defense for a couple of years now. It did seem like a lot of money for a strong safety, but second guessing Pete and John on the value of secondary players in their scheme seems foolhardy based on their track record.

lukerguy":bc4fk78q said:
This is an odd take on salaries. What you did in the past is over and done; your paycheck is based on expected future performances and the past is only useful for how it can inform your thinking about the future. You are calling Kam overpaid here based on incomplete information, when you should instead be focusing on the incomplete information as a reason to lower your confidence in future analyses.

You should try re-reading my post carefully.

lsheldon

Reaction score
That first hit on Thomas set the tone. Having an enforcer in our secondary that plays up to the level of Kenny Easley makes them incredibly tough. I honestly think Kam is becoming that good.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
The guy is an All-World strong safety who has elevated his game to the stratosphere, despite getting paid in the off season. I'm not sure my man crush on this guy, who is a total class act I might add, can get any larger.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was one of those people. He was out of position many times last year and seemed to be the weak spot in the secondary.

We gave him the extension and I was very surprised.

This year he proved me wrong and he was the dominant force we needed back there.

I am not ashamed to say I was wrong. I am extremely happy we locked him up for what we did.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I am one of those who thought we overpayed. My concern then was that players tend to become worse when payed, not better like kam has.

I also worried that it meant good bye to browner, dont have to worry about that now...

So yeah, i am eating crow. Kam is the man and players loved seeing one of them rewarded like that, so it was a cheap way to motivate all the secondary

lukerguy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":32q6xzof said:
I was one of those people. He was out of position many times last year and seemed to be the weak spot in the secondary.

We gave him the extension and I was very surprised.

This year he proved me wrong and he was the dominant force we needed back there.

I am not ashamed to say I was wrong. I am extremely happy we locked him up for what we did.

The only reason you were wrong is because you didn't know he was playing hurt, and no one knew it except the people who gave him the contract.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Slick":1oeux3qw said:
Much agreed. I was very happy last season when we sewed him up for a few years at a modest amount. Imagine if he were becoming a free agent now!
The man may be underpaid and under appreciated. Great move by Schneider.