Jesse Williams?

cheese22

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about him this offseason? I was pretty excited when we drafted him. Did the year of rehab and not playing do any good or are his injuries just gonna end his career early? The guy had a ton of talent and massive strength, I'm sure he could help fill some holes this year if healthy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Back in February, Carroll stated I believe in his Season ending presser that Jesse Williams has recovered from his injury.

What is likely going to be a degenerative condition for him in the long term, can be manageable in the short-term, while the year off was a hindrance to his progression, it was probably the best move for his development.

And he looks good... down to 315... and showing some good signs that'll he'll be to play on that knee going forward even if its just a rotational body...just don't expect him to become a permanent starter any time soon, if ever:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/4/22/5642762/tha-monstar-and-the-4800lb-workout-jesse-williams

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The prospects of JW's knees holding up over the long term, or even over an entire season, don't look good. As Pandion mentioned above, this looks like a degenerative condition. Of further issue is simply finding a position for JW, who has a lot of 'tweener traits. He looks like a natural DT/NT on the hoof, but he's very, very top heavy with an extremely thin lower body (particularly spindly calves), which makes it difficult for him to anchor and hold the point of attack in the trenches, esp. on his balky knees. He also lacks the desired length (6-3, but with 32-inch T-Rex arms) and quickness in space for the 5-technique DE position opposite OT's. And the fact that he brings nothing from a pass-rushing perspective (beyond effort) further limits his utility. To me, on a best-case basis, JW can potentially develop into a 'super sub' backup on running downs for the 1-tech, 3-tech and 5-tech positions.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Definitely get a "Marcus Tubbs" vibe from this kid, both in the way he plays and the likely extent of his career.

Hoping I'm right on the former and VERY wrong on the latter.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I rewatched some of his tape against good teams in the SEC. He's unblockable at times. Good motor. Often taking on double teams.

I could care less about the size of his ankles or the length of his arms. Seems to really enjoy playing and getting his nose dirty.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
At this point, whatever he provides in kind of gravy on this team.

I can't speak to what his prospects are for his knees. I know he's had minor issues with them for some time that hasn't affected his reliability. He suffered a significant injury in the SEC championship game and I wasn't surprised that he didn't arrive at Seattle in full capacity. I don't even think the fact he was IRed really implies much of anything. The team desperately tried to stash players and even the smallest injury to a prospect that could be IRed meant losing the season.

Now if he were to get injured early this offseason and hit IR a second consecutive year -- I'll be worried then. I guess I was sort of expecting him to get a complete redshirt year going into the rookie OTAs. So I'll keep my hopes up that he can contribute and develop more this year.

King Dog

Reaction score
He seems like a cool guy, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't seen much on his videos to get real excited about. If he makes the team and contributes in the rotatation, I would be happy with that.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
King Dog":2okhpkvx said:
He seems like a cool guy, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't seen much on his videos to get real excited about. If he makes the team and contributes in the rotatation, I would be happy with that.

Which videos did you watch?

King Dog

Reaction score
HawkNuts":6yb38wvx said:
King Dog":6yb38wvx said:

Which videos did you watch?

Every video I could possibly find on him after he was drafted and then again in the past month. It's the off-season. I'm bored. Don't confuse this with me saying I'm some kind of talent evaluator guru or anything like that.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawkNuts":22wc7uqy said:
I could (sic) care less about the size of his ankles or the length of his arms.
Well maybe you should start caring, because lower body strength and arm length are two of the most important physical factors for successful defensive line play.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1o3ugrbx said:
HawkNuts":1o3ugrbx said:
Well maybe you should start caring, because lower body strength and arm length are two of the most important physical factors for successful defensive line play.

I played offensive line in college against a number of great defensive tackles with short arms and small ankles. There are a number of NFL players in the Hall of Fame who lack the measurables.

If the production isn't there in college the measurables are more important. For Jesse Williams the production is there.

kf3339

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3ajlni66 said:
NorthDallas40oz":3ajlni66 said:
HawkNuts":3ajlni66 said:

I played offensive line in college against a number of great defensive tackles with short arms and small ankles. There are a number of NFL players in the Hall of Fame who lack the measurables.

If the production isn't there in college the measurables are more important. For Jesse Williams the production is there.

^This. The issue is his health. Not so much his lower body measurables. He has already shown he has plenty of lower body strength in several weight lifting videos I have seen the last year or so. It's whether his knees are now completely healthy to handle the demands of the NFL. If so I still think he will be a great addition to our rotation.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1sb6gs5u said:
NorthDallas40oz":1sb6gs5u said:
HawkNuts":1sb6gs5u said:

The production is not yet there at the NFL level for Williams. This isn't college. If college production equated to NFL success then guys like Chris Zorich would be in the Hall of Fame. Arm length and leg mass do matter, no matter how many short-armed and think-ankled spares you played against in college.

Nice try.

kf3339

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":16xc8kq7 said:
HawkNuts":16xc8kq7 said:
NorthDallas40oz":16xc8kq7 said:
HawkNuts":16xc8kq7 said:

The production is not yet there at the NFL level for Williams. This isn't college. If college production equated to NFL success then guys like Chris Zorich would be in the Hall of Fame. Arm length and leg mass do matter, no matter how many short-armed and think-ankled spares you played against in college.

Nice try.

I would rather trust a player who did really well in college (especially the SEC) than make a blank statement that his lower body measurables should be considered a disadvantage for him. If his knees hadn't been an issue he would have been drafted in the late first or second round easily last year. The fact we got him with a 5th round pick and could red shirt him was a great move on our part.

Lets just wait and see what he can do now that it seems he is healed instead of holding some measurables against him. Besides this team is full of players that experts had some issue or another that made them fall in the draft. Look how many of them have proven to be great players already in their short careers. Perhaps you have heard of our 5' 10.5" QB.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I liked the selection, too. Very little risk and a huge potential upside.

With the release of Red Bryant, we need a solid run stopper on the DL, and this guy could be it. So we'll see. He'll definitely be one player to keep an eye on when camp opens.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
#YOLO.
I was excited when we got hm because he was geting a 1st/2nd round grade and he looked like another late round steal, but im not so sure anymore. didnt he play in the preseason but didnt even get a tackle? i remember hearing he was dissapointing in the games he played or something along those lines

Uthawk

Reaction score
When Schneider was interviewed on KJR, they asked what the mindset was when they saw players dropping in the draft and if they wondered what they might have missed. His response was something like "we usually find that out after we pick them" and I thought of Jesse Williams. I really hope he can get healthy and have a good career but his problem might not get any better.