Backup QB competition predictions

kearly

Reaction score
My guess is that barring something unforseen, Seattle will keep Tjack as the #2 QB this year. Daniels and Price will probably be released, and the better of the two will be offered a practice squad position. While I don't expect a position change for Pryor, it is possible the Seahawks might trade him for a conditional bag of Doritos in 2015 to a team that likes Pryor as a WR/TE/RB prospect. Seattle is jammed at all three of those areas which is why I think JS was sincere about not wanting to convert Pryor.

That's the expected course of action.

I guess the interesting question becomes, what if one of those young QBs lights up the preseason? BJ Daniels only had 21 pass attempts last preseason, but posted a 128 passer rating in that sample. Keith Price is a very natural fit for our offense and it's not hard to see him posting good preseason numbers. Terrell Pryor has big games every now and then and fits our offense better than Oakland's.

Anyway, my guess is that Tjack will have another strong preseason, Daniels and Price both play well, Pryor has an ugly game early in the preseason and never really gets another chance, and that Price narrowly edges out Daniels for the PS spot. I'm not anticipating a 3 QB roster right now, at least not if Tjack continues to improve in our offense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is going to be really interesting IMO. Are there enough reps available for more than three guys to get a look in pre-season games? Wilson and T-Jack are basically locks to get pre-season reps. Pryor would seem to be a favorite to get some reps as well. How much would be left for either Daniels or Price?

I believe only Wilson, T-Jack and Quinn got pre-season reps last year. I'm trying to think back to 2012, and I want to say Portis only got some 3rd team reps after the QB competition among Wilson/Flynn/T-jack was decided. Plus, they didn't really let T-Jack throw that year anyway, so again, the reps were mostly split among three QBs.

I think Price would really have to blow them away in camps just to get a spot in the pre-season. Personally, I think he's destined for the 2014 practice squad either way and most likely an early cut (but still eligible for practice squad). That being said, he'll be in competition for 2015 QB2. Bigger question is if BJ Daniels gets a shot. He was a preseason hero last year, but don't forget, so was Pryor.

Just a guess on how this might work:

• Price, Daniels and Pryor enter into a mini battle in camp.
  • If either Price or Daniels beats Pryor in camp, they earn reps in pre-season with Wilson/T-Jack and Pryor is cut ASAP (likely zero trade value).
  • If Pryor beats Daniels and Price in camp, he goes into pre-season to fight for a roster spot as QB3 or potentially even QB2. Daniels and Price compete for practice squad QB, but might not see pre-season reps this year (except maybe the last game where their performance won't really matter much).
  • Either Price or Daniels will land on the practice squad no matter what.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I somehow get this weird feeling that TJ is done. We spent a 7 on Pryor who is a freak athlete, perhaps hoping some of Wilson rubs off. Can see the scenario where TJ is sent on his way, Pryor becomes #2 and Price and BJ fight for #3 or the practice squad. (would fit our younger bigger faster stronger mantra)

Rainger

Reaction score
seedhawk":1qn93lmv said:
I somehow get this weird feeling that TJ is done. We spent a 7 on Pryor who is a freak athlete, perhaps hoping some of Wilson rubs off. Can see the scenario where TJ is sent on his way, Pryor becomes #2 and Price and BJ fight for #3 or the practice squad. (would fit our younger bigger faster stronger mantra)
T jacks contract this is year is fully guaranteed. No way they dump his contract this year. He is number 2 all others are fighting to remain with the club.

seedhawk

Reaction score
rainger":3hmkztbs said:
seedhawk":3hmkztbs said:
T jacks contract this is year is fully guaranteed. No way they dump his contract this year. He is number 2 all others are fighting to remain with the club.

So, you are saying TJ's 840k salary will swing the deal, guaranteed or not, as to who makes the squad?

Threedee

Reaction score
I think the Price project will be to have Russell mentor Price and see if he can make him a more promising QB than the others. Either way, this role will be a positive experience for Russell, which will make him into a greater asset to the team. In the process, the compete-or-go-home motto stays in high gear.

It's also good for the rest of the players competing to see the group of QBs treated just like themselves.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
seedhawk":syowgkcj said:
rainger":syowgkcj said:
seedhawk":syowgkcj said:

So, you are saying TJ's 840k salary will swing the deal, guaranteed or not, as to who makes the squad?

He's just parroting what he's heard here.

The best QB's will make the team regardless of salary. Doesn't anyone pay attention to how the Pete Carroll regime operates anymore?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":wuwlpd16 said:

Overthecap says it's fully guaraneed, and all local guys have reported it as a fully guaranteed contract. In any event, even if that's the case, a $1.25M guarantee probably wouldn't stop them from cutting a player. I believe they took a bigger hit by cutting Winfield last year. However, T-Jack is absolutely the odds-on favorite for QB2. Even if Pryor proves his worth this pre-season, it could still be worthwhile to keep T-Jack for at least this season so Pryor could take a year to learn the system.

chawx

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":16cd2j0l said:
seedhawk":16cd2j0l said:
rainger":16cd2j0l said:
seedhawk":16cd2j0l said:

He's just parroting what he's heard here.

The best QB's will make the team regardless of salary. Doesn't anyone pay attention to how the Pete Carroll regime operates anymore?

Hopefully Russell makes the team... I mean, he's kinda short and just a glorified game-manager, right? The QB spot is wide open from QB1-QB3. #AlwaysCompete

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rainger":34ck0ou9 said:
seedhawk":34ck0ou9 said:
Doesn't mean he can't be traded instead of cut. Then somebody else would assume his cheap for a backup salary.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
This is quite a unique situation for us as fans, and a great story to follow. Lots of different angles and possible outcomes. The best part about it, we have our QB1 and we can just sit back and watch the show.

IMO: Unless Pryor comes in and knocks Pete's socks off, I don't see a scenario where T-Jack is not on the team this year as QB2. He knows the offense, knows the personnel, has a rapport with the team, and he was money when he played last year. Unless he's significantly fallen off from where he was last season, he will compete with the rest of them and come out as QB2.

I'm mostly interested in Pryor - what will be his fate?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Goodwin Seahawk":1upmn310 said:
This is quite a unique situation for us as fans, and a great story to follow. Lots of different angles and possible outcomes. The best part about it, we have our QB1 and we can just sit back and watch the show.

IMO: Unless Pryor comes in and knocks Pete's socks off, I don't see a scenario where T-Jack is not on the team this year as QB2. He knows the offense, knows the personnel, has a rapport with the team, and he was money when he played last year. Unless he's significantly fallen off from where he was last season, he will compete with the rest of them and come out as QB2.

I'm mostly interested in Pryor - what will be his fate?

I 2nd this. I am also curious to see which if any of our backup QB's that don't make the 53 roster, make it past waivers and onto our practice squad. BJ Daniels showed some promise in the pre-season for the 49ers, I am not convinced another team doesn't claim him and give him a shot. I think most likely Keith Price ends up our PS QB, with Daniels getting claimed by another team.

Seafan

Reaction score
It's going to come down to roster spots and IMO the Hawks will have a tough time justifying 3 QBs on the active roster. Pryor and TJ battle it out for the QB2 position and Price will likely be on the PS.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Pryor would have to look like a pro-bowler to beat out TJack for a roster spot. I can't see the team smack dab in the middle of it's Super Bowl window risking having Pryor as it's safety net behind Wilson. As opposed to TJack who knows the offense and with who they are fully comfortable holding down the fort for a couple games if needed.

I don't see Pryor having much of a long term future here as a QB. It would be a different story if the team and he were interested in him switching positions. But he's a free agent at the end of this season. Either he lights the field on fire and looks great or gets cut/traded. I don't see him wanting to be a career backup to Russ. If he's strictly a QB, I don't see him on the team beyond this season.

Price and Daniels will be fighting it out for the practice squad. A lot of that competition will come down to what they thought of Daniels during his time last season. He either has a leg up in that regard, or if not, Price has a good shot. He's already worked a lot with RW last season. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

All I will say is this. I would take all 5 guys over Charlie Whitehurst. And at least 3, but possibly all 5, over Matt Flynn. Oh how times have changed for Seahawk fans.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I realize this has zero football significance but Terrell Pryor is the second most exciting player to watch on the team, after Harvin.

That is all

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I think the Pryor trade served two purposes.

1) He provides legitimate competition for Tarvaris, ensuring the Hawks get the best out of their #2 QB, whoever that is.

The other is a bit outside the box. I offer it with a grain of salt, but we know John Schneider is a Jedi Master of negotiations and football relationships, so...

2) Perhaps JS saw an opportunity to accomplish #1 above, as well as maintain decent relations with the Raiders, who may have felt a little bitter about how the Matt Flynn trade worked out. Not that the Seahawks had to go out of their way to appease another franchise, but rather extend an olive branch to an organization that was clearly moving in a new QB direction by offering a 7th round pick that would have been used on one of the UDFA's we targeted anyway.

Like I said, it's unorthodox. But in the long run everybody wins and JS & company continue their reputation as fair and decent trading partners. You never know when that will pay off down the road.

As for QB predictions:

1. Wilson
2. Jackson
PS: Price

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The NFL coverage of The rookie camp showed another QB throwing the ball? Who was the white QB?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":27955pl3 said:
The NFL coverage of The rookie camp showed another QB throwing the ball? Who was the white QB?
Zach Zulli apparently has impressed PC.