Difference between Russell Wilson & Payton Manning

bowzerbird

Reaction score
Got the wonderful 4 DVD disks of the Post Game from Fanatics.com [Super Bowl, 49'ers, Saints and extras]. SOOOO much fun to watch it ALL over again but here's an interesting comparison between RUSSELL WILSON & Payton Manning.

Manning, in the Super Bowl lost it and never gained it back, confidence that is. From the "whoops" in the first few seconds of the game, something happened "inside" that he wasn't able to retract, change, forget, or disassociate from.

Watching the 49'er game again, RIGHT in the first few seconds of THAT game, Russell blew it, fumbled the ball & the 49'ers took it on the 20 yr. line. Again, FIRST FEW SECONDS OF THE GAME. Got a FG but no TD.

Having watched how our guys play and having been at 0 – 20 TWICE!! at the end of the first half, we OVERCAME the odds and won both those games.
Here's the diff: The Seahawks have created a new PARADIGM of HOW Football is played and will be played in the future. Russell KNEW he blew it, BUT he [always] looks to the future and "disassociates" the past or previous play. Doesn't let ANY mistakes "guide" how he plays. Compartmentalizes.
Payton let every mistake "EAT" at him and like a domino effect, it affected the rest of the players. They actually let him control their way of thinking. No individual thought processing. It's a subtle kind of "brainwashing." This is HOW I think and you all have to follow and think JUST like me. SUCH BULL-SHIT.
Today's Football games will be played with more BRAIN activity then just brawn. All the Seahawks have the same mind-set. Look to the NEXT play and do NOT let the past guide the rest of the game.
And I can guarantee that mind-set will be embedded in all the new players. Russell and Sherms will see to that.

So . . . . . GO HAWKS

OP
OP
bowzerbird

bowzerbird

Reaction score
Throwdown":2qrsp065 said:
Wrong, it's about 6 inches that's the difference.

Sahree fella, Yer wrong. Manning being taller was not a winning factor. Obviously HE lost and it was his jello mold brain.
QB's like RUSSELL and others shorter then him have proven height "don't mean shit"

Manning should MAN UP and retire. 6" ???? Yo, Jello, did you get yer brain from a jar??
Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

:thfight7: :pukeface: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on:

OP
OP
bowzerbird

bowzerbird

Reaction score
Throwdown":1j667wmn said:
UK_Seahawk":1j667wmn said:
Throwdown":1j667wmn said:

Is Manning's forehead that much bigger?

Takes up about 5 of the 6

Well . . . GUESS I CAN SAY TO MANNING <> "THINK BIG FAT HEAD"

:sarcasm_on: :roll: :roll: :sarcasm_on: :177692:

kpak76

Reaction score
First of all its Peyton not Payton.

Also Manning's large forehead houses one of the greatest football mind that the NFL has seen in a long time. I seriously doubt that first safety made Manning lock up and mistake prone throughout the entire game. To think this takes credit away from our defense that played lights out and should deserve all the credit for Manning crapping his pants. I mean seriously, why as a Hawks fan are you trying to find excuses for Manning when it was clear as day that our defense was the problem for Manning. Manning has enough experience in big games to not let stuff like that effect him. He isn't mentally weak like Sanchez or something.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bowzerbird":7zwprdue said:
Throwdown":7zwprdue said:

Sahree fella, Yer wrong. Manning being taller was not a winning factor. Obviously HE lost and it was his jello mold brain.
QB's like RUSSELL and others shorter then him have proven height "don't mean shit"

Manning should MAN UP and retire. 6" ???? Yo, Jello, did you get yer brain from a jar??
Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

:thfight7: :pukeface: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on:
Perhaps he meant the 6 inches between their ears?

Jville

Reaction score
Throwdown":rzhgzxt6 said:

Thanks for not bringing up the age thing. My skin is getting thinner as the years roll by.

byau

Reaction score
bowzerbird":itylf599 said:
Got the wonderful 4 DVD disks of the Post Game from Fanatics.com [Super Bowl, 49'ers, Saints and extras]. SOOOO much fun to watch it ALL over again but here's an interesting comparison between RUSSELL WILSON & Payton Manning.

Manning, in the Super Bowl lost it and never gained it back, confidence that is. From the "whoops" in the first few seconds of the game, something happened "inside" that he wasn't able to retract, change, forget, or disassociate from.

Watching the 49'er game again, RIGHT in the first few seconds of THAT game, Russell blew it, fumbled the ball & the 49'ers took it on the 20 yr. line. Again, FIRST FEW SECONDS OF THE GAME. Got a FG but no TD.

Having watched how our guys play and having been at 0 – 20 TWICE!! at the end of the first half, we OVERCAME the odds and won both those games.
Here's the diff: The Seahawks have created a new PARADIGM of HOW Football is played and will be played in the future. Russell KNEW he blew it, BUT he [always] looks to the future and "disassociates" the past or previous play. Doesn't let ANY mistakes "guide" how he plays. Compartmentalizes.

I think of it differently and see it more a testament to how Russell Wilson is different from ALL other quarterbacks.

Poise and composure is one of his greatest gifts .. and you do not see that in any of the other top quarterbacks and high level quarterbacks.

I watched the entire 2013-2014 season again and I did not see him show any emotions related to frustration. Russell doesn't let bad plays rattle him. While each team the Seahawks played you could see the quarterbacks showing emotions and being rattled (sure sure okay, Russell didn't play against LOB while the opposing team's QB's did)

My theory: it's in his preparation. When preparing for a game, you are looking at what will mostly work with different scenarios against the team you're playing. What will mostly work doesn't always work, which might end up in you getting sacked or hit.

So to me that's why Russell, when he gets sacked, just accepts it as part of the game when playing the better odds and then, as you say, goes on to the next play knowing in the long run he will win since he's prepared enough to know where the odds are in his favor.

kearly

Reaction score
I definitely agree about mental toughness. Even some of the elite QBs in the game are known to "quit" mentally when things get tough. The number of "scratch and claw" mentality QBs is really low. I think Wilson is obviously one of them, I'd put Tom Brady in that category too. Maybe Rivers, and on a hunch, probably Manziel, if he pans out. I think those QBs kind of live for impossible game situations.

I don't think Brees is in this category, but he's a near neighbor. He's not heroic in my view, but he's unflappable and never quits. I don't think he lives for the 4th quarter like Wilson or Brady does though.

But Peyton Manning? For as great as he is, and I think he's the greatest ever, he has a history of folding his tent when things get overly arduous. He had that amazing comeback against Tampa a long time ago and that classic comeback against the Patriots in the 2006 AFCCG, but those are outliers in a career that is not known for gutty comebacks.

Minor tidbit: The Hawks were down 3-20 vs. the Texans at halftime, Seattle actually led 3-0 at one point in that game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kpak76":lunt9sz4 said:

Also Manning's large forehead houses one of the greatest football mind that the NFL has seen in a long time. I seriously doubt that first safety made Manning lock up and mistake prone throughout the entire game. To think this takes credit away from our defense that played lights out and should deserve all the credit for Manning crapping his pants. I mean seriously, why as a Hawks fan are you trying to find excuses for Manning when it was clear as day that our defense was the problem for Manning. Manning has enough experience in big games to not let stuff like that effect him. He isn't mentally weak like Sanchez or something.

I agree. Having a Safety against them isn't going to get Manning to fold his tent. It won't get him in a bad mindset. Especially when their defense held us to 3 points the first couple of drives. Manning has been down plenty of times at halftime.

I never really believe Manning gave up. The only way he possibly folded his tent a bit was just pounding with the same game plan. Peyton Manning is famous for being able to dissect a defense and make halftime adjustments.

The biggest thing that gets Manning out of his comfort zone is pressure and making him move and reset his feet. I think the constant pressure and QB hits, combined with his defense getting shredded probably sucked the life out of the Bronco's offense. I honestly think outside of Damyrius Thomas, most of the Denver offense gave up against our defense.

kpak76

Reaction score
Hawks46":1w4tls8x said:
kpak76":1w4tls8x said:

I agree. Having a Safety against them isn't going to get Manning to fold his tent. It won't get him in a bad mindset. Especially when their defense held us to 3 points the first couple of drives. Manning has been down plenty of times at halftime.

I never really believe Manning gave up. The only way he possibly folded his tent a bit was just pounding with the same game plan. Peyton Manning is famous for being able to dissect a defense and make halftime adjustments.

The biggest thing that gets Manning out of his comfort zone is pressure and making him move and reset his feet. I think the constant pressure and QB hits, combined with his defense getting shredded probably sucked the life out of the Bronco's offense. I honestly think outside of Damyrius Thomas, most of the Denver offense gave up against our defense.

I actually do think the entire Broncos folded tent, but it wasn't from the safety. That entire team quit after Harvins return to open the second half. You just saw the emotional let down that created on the Doncos sideline when it happened. They KNEW it was over then. However even then, some of them didn't mail the rest of the game in. As much as I wanted to see a shutout happen, Manning and a handful of others still played football during the second half even though they knew it was pointless. They even scored to take that much desired shutout away from the Hawks defense.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I don't think it was so much on Peyton Manning. I just don't think the Broncos had enough to compete against the Defense they faced. It's a team game. The Seahawks were a much better prepared and faster team. John Fox is heard commenting on the speed of the Seahawks on the sidelines.

Credit to the Defensive Coaches for having the players well prepared to frustrate and stop that offense. The Broncos game plan - what they did all season - just wasn't going to work against the Seahawks. Not much does.

Those underneath routes... Bam Bam about destroyed Demaryius Thomas. There were analysts saying the game was over on that first Chancellor hit on Thomas. Former players who know... could see the game was OVER. I think the score was only 5-0 at that point. That was telling and perhaps moreso than us fans realized at the time as many of us weren't confident it was over until about midway through the 4th quarter.

They got pressure on Peyton and were so prepared against anything the Broncos would try to do. Love that SoundFX where Peyton calls "Kill" and I think it was Wagner who is heard saying, "Kill is Bull$#!^" and Manning looks right at him in a moment of stunned disbelief. Perhaps he knew right then and there. Moments later (a few plays later), Cliff Avril blocked the forward motion of his arm and 53....

Too bad that game didn't end as the first shutout in Super Bowl history. The story of the game is the speed of the Seahawks defense, the offense clicking on all cylinders since they had to account for Percy Harvin. Russell Wilson's leadership is off the charts. He definitely compares to Manning in that regard. Time will tell how they rate vs. one another. Wilson is just getting started.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That game was our defense period. The Bronco's led the league in YAC and we took that away. Manning still set a record for completions but that offense was dead without the YAC.

Kearly did a nice right up about this and explained why we were their worst possible match up and teams like the Niners wjo are stout but don't have the secondary or the speed to do the same.

OP
OP
bowzerbird

bowzerbird

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insightful comments.
But BOTTOM LINE: Manning WAS great, ain't no mo!

Russell does know how to compartmentalize, disassociate and SHINE IT ON. We all have watched QB's and yup, they can't [quite often] control their emotions. They get frustrated, exasperated, disillusioned and plain, give up. So, their throwing is compromised, running, planning and well their game plays.
Russell knows Yoga, and it may help him. hey whatever it is, the boy knows how to strategise and WIN.

Oh, just a BTW: Something tells me they "GAVE" the 8 pts. to the wild horses so they didn't go back to the pasture empty handed. Just a thought. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And who cares, Payton, Peyton: It's still Payton Place to me, that's all he can do now. He should retire. He still has "decent" health, enjoy life, your family etc..

Threedee

Reaction score
Part of the problem, I think, is that Wilson's offense is more scheme-based, while Peyton's is technique-based. All of that effort in planning into each individual play, even down to the exuberant audibles, and when technique fails, it's more immediately felt. Within a scheme, individual plays may break down, but a disciplined team can stay on target. I wonder if Peyton learned anything from that outing. I expect his AFC rivals did.

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
I didn't intend to "hi-jack" this post but:

When you look good...you feel good. When you feel good...You play good.
When you look like you don't have a clue...You play like you don't have a clue. GO HAWKS!!!!

Attachments

• 10491238_722274167831592_2654215157686678728_n.jpg
    10491238_722274167831592_2654215157686678728_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,367