O-Line Woes

nsport

Reaction score
It's a luxury 31 other teams would love to have... win a Superb Owl then proceed to go 3-1 in the first quarter of your following season... but with that, I think there are plenty of things to focus on that are gaping holes in our team - for this post, I want to pick on the O-Line a bit.

It seems that we have been perpetually concerned with the O-Line. I thought the concept of the ZBS and the wrinkles we have with the option plays we run would hide some of those concerns - however, I'm finding that even after 3 consecutive seasons of modest improvements in personnel, we are still miles away from even sniffing an assessment that we are nearing an elite offensive line.

Okung looks terrible this year
Bad snaps and protection calls
Poor blitz recognition from the right side
Stupid penalties - to erase big gains and in presnap.

I would like to think that having a Tom Cable run offensive line with multiple years of philosophical consistency would begin to heal this, but it really seems like it's getting worse. On the plus side, the run blocking is and has been very good.

In contrast, look at the elite lines - QB jersey stays clean, they pick up blitzes, etc.

Gripe over... but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking these thoughts....

Smellyman

Reaction score
might be the worst in the league.

If RW and ML aren't amazing players it would be more ugly.

daketah

Reaction score
It's a good thing that the measurement in the NFL is W/L, not offensive line play.

w00t

Reaction score
Sweezy and Britt played well but the other 3 was horrible. Penalties and getting beat bad.

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
nsport":2f41n8rk said:
It's a luxury 31 other teams would love to have... win a Superb Owl then proceed to go 3-1 in the first quarter of your following season... but with that, I think there are plenty of things to focus on that are gaping holes in our team - for this post, I want to pick on the O-Line a bit.

It seems that we have been perpetually concerned with the O-Line. I thought the concept of the ZBS and the wrinkles we have with the option plays we run would hide some of those concerns - however, I'm finding that even after 3 consecutive seasons of modest improvements in personnel, we are still miles away from even sniffing an assessment that we are nearing an elite offensive line.

Okung looks terrible this year
Bad snaps and protection calls
Poor blitz recognition from the right side
Stupid penalties - to erase big gains and in presnap.

I would like to think that having a Tom Cable run offensive line with multiple years of philosophical consistency would begin to heal this, but it really seems like it's getting worse. On the plus side, the run blocking is and has been very good.

In contrast, look at the elite lines - QB jersey stays clean, they pick up blitzes, etc.

Gripe over... but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking these thoughts....

Unger's performance was atrocious to say the least. Not sure the severity of his injury, but moving forward sans Jeanpierre can only accelerate the decline of the o-line

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
The saddest thing is, with even a top 15 o-line I think this team would be pretty much unbeatable.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Oline play was really bad this game.........things have got to change somehow, unfortunately I don't see them getting much better.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Another thing that bothers me is I think the oline play is hurting RW's development to some extent. You can tell there is zero trust there, and sometimes stuff like that lingers for a while.Tonight especially he was just saying eff it and taking off at times. Man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with that last post HuskerHawk. The tendency to bail out is something the other team can count on, which means he's spending less time in the pocket, less time going through progressions, and so on. He made a great comment on where he expects to be - which closely mirrored Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. by expecting to one day be so great that he has 100% command of the offense and all calls like they do. However, if the O-line stinks, no amount of calls, shifts, or pocket presence can overcome that. Right now he overcomes it with his feet and moxy, but that won't last forever. We need a clean pocket!

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
nsport":gl9z64f2 said:
Yes, I agree with that last post HuskerHawk. The tendency to bail out is something the other team can count on, which means he's spending less time in the pocket, less time going through progressions, and so on. He made a great comment on where he expects to be - which closely mirrored Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. by expecting to one day be so great that he has 100% command of the offense and all calls like they do. However, if the O-line stinks, no amount of calls, shifts, or pocket presence can overcome that. Right now he overcomes it with his feet and moxy, but that won't last forever. We need a clean pocket!
Exactly. I think Wilson RIGHT NOW could compare pretty favorably with those upper echelon guys as far as reading defenses and making throws from the pocket, if one existed. He didn't set the NCAA efficiency record by chance, it's remarkable he is as efficient as he is with the constant pressure he faces.

kmedic

Reaction score
I give them a bit of a pass this game because of the long lay off. I think it's hard for an o-line to get their timing right after a 15 day lay off, especially on the road. I don't have any stats to back me up but I would bet anything there are more penalties than average on offense for a team coming off a bye on the road.

I'm not forgetting that this line played lights out against GB and had a pretty strong game against Denver as well. Let's see how they do over the next several games before coming to conclusions. Let's also not forget that Okung has a bum shoulder.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I think it's time to start thinking about moving on from Okung. He can't stay healthy, he makes lots of dumb penalties, and appears to be regressing each season. At the very least we should be looking for a potential replacement after his contract expires in 2015.

kearly

Reaction score
The run blocking has been mostly fantastic. They are getting some serious push up the middle this year, and negative plays in the run game are very low so far this year.

The pass blocking has sucked, but it's sucked less than last year by quite a bit despite the protection downgrade from 2013 Giacomini to 2014 Britt.

I think our O-line could be pretty scary come playoff time if Okung heals up and Britt gains experience.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":3vn0j6xf said:
The run blocking has been mostly fantastic. They are getting some serious push up the middle this year, and negative plays in the run game are very low so far this year.

The pass blocking has sucked, but it's sucked less than last year by quite a bit despite the protection downgrade from 2013 Giacomini to 2014 Britt.

I think our O-line could be pretty scary come playoff time if Okung heals up and Britt gains experience.

decent run blocking (see Turbin) if ML wasn't a wrecking ball it would be pedestrian. the quadruple option helps keeping D's honest on runs.

RW is the 28th rusher in the league. :) and leads the league in with a 7.2 per carry..

kigenzun

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, our Offensive Line is excellent as is, and improving.
225 rushing yards, and 200 more passing (...on an "off-night") is my proof in the pudding.

We just don't understand how bad other teams O-Lines are, because we don't have to watch them week in and week out.
(For instance, consider being a fan watching the RacialSlurs from the other side's POV. They had 32 rushing yards total. Now that's sucking it big time.)

Why hasn't anyone ever considered the blockers are being coached to play this way on purpose, to take advantage of Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch's unique scrambling and cut-back strengths?

Obviously, the Seahawks are pioneering something completely new; and thriving on the chaos!

Sweezy is a monster, and will be an All-Pro this year.
"Big Game James" is better than ever before.
Justin Britt is stepping right in, and exceeding rookie expectations.
Okung and Unger are tough in the trenches veterans, playing through the pain. And winning.

Arggh ye Mateys. Quit yer bitching! :141847_bnono:

The Battle #83

Reaction score
I hope we address the oline because its been bad for years. Hopefully the front office fixes it like they fixed the pass rush.

Imagine if we had a good oline? :3: I would hate playing against us even more

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
kigenzun":39f6qb5y said:
Contrary to popular belief, our Offensive Line is excellent as is, and improving.
225 rushing yards, and 200 more passing (...on an "off-night") is my proof in the pudding.

We just don't understand how bad other teams O-Lines are, because we don't have to watch them week in and week out.
(For instance, consider being a fan watching the RacialSlurs from the other side's POV. They had 32 rushing yards total. Now that's sucking it big time.)

Why hasn't anyone ever considered the blockers are being coached to play this way on purpose, to take advantage of Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch's unique scrambling and cut-back strengths?

Obviously, the Seahawks are pioneering something completely new; and thriving on the chaos!

Sweezy is a monster, and will be an All-Pro this year.
"Big Game James" is better than ever before.
Justin Britt is stepping right in, and exceeding rookie expectations.
Okung and Unger are tough in the trenches veterans, playing through the pain. And winning.

Arggh ye Mateys. Quit yer bitching! :141847_bnono:

What is a pirate's favorite place to eat dinner?? Arrrrrrrrby's of course.

So I get your point, and as individuals I see the potential, albeit some rose colored glasses help me reach that conclusion. The presnap penalties and holds. Lack of line calls for blitz support, and generally terrible pass blocking has me doubting my rose colored glasses a bit though. When teams need a stop, they disguise a great one-timer blitz that overwhelms that unit.

I agree that they will tighten up over the course of the year, but soooo many penalties and dumb mistakes... cannot fathom how bad it would be if we had a pocket passer or a pedestrian RB.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Great post. At what point does noted O line "genius" Tom Cable take some heat in this town for his O line that has been consistently terrible in pass protection and has looked worse than ever last night? Why does Cable seem to get a free pass? Without Russell Houdini playing QB and saving the day, this team would be giving up sacks left and right. It could get Wilson hurt. Cable has got to go

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":23wy5lhy said:
..............At what point does noted O line "genius" Tom Cable take some heat in this town for his O line that has been consistently terrible in pass protection and has looked worse than ever last night?..........
I think the time has come.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Smellyman":3kd6dpwz said:
kearly":3kd6dpwz said:

decent run blocking (see Turbin) if ML wasn't a wrecking ball it would be pedestrian. the quadruple option helps keeping D's honest on runs.

RW is the 28th rusher in the league. :) and leads the league in with a 7.2 per carry..

Kaepernick is 29th haha. Even though he has 14 more runs than Wilson

Latest posts