I had a bad thought today...

GeekHawk

Reaction score
In year 1, RW spent the first half of the season learning the speed of the NFL, then (without a thorough grasp of Bevell's offense) we started ripping off 50-point games. Year 2, RW was better at the nuances of Bevell's offensive schemes and plans, and the offense was 'not a huge drag on the defense' which won us a Stuporbowl. In year 3, RW should have a really intimate grasp of the offense, what to run when where and to who(m), and we can't get a first down to save our lives. Is RW a better offensive coordinator than Bevell, while making it up on the fly? Does RW's playground style work better than Bevell's well-thought-out plans and schemes? Somebody talk me off the ledge...

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't talk you off a ledge, Wilson is hamstrung by a terrible o-line and a sketchy play caller. He can't be comfortable learning a offense when he is running for his life and improvising.

Anthony!

Reaction score
storm74":2b43ls8n said:
I'm sorry I can't talk you off a ledge, Wilson is hamstrung by a terrible o-line and a sketchy play caller. He can't be comfortable learning a offense when he is running for his life and improvising.

Add to that no #1 wr or go to guy. And add in a HC that wants no mistakes which makes Rw hesitate sometimes.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anthony!":1kgfr170 said:
storm74":1kgfr170 said:

Add to that no #1 wr or go to guy. And add in a HC that wants no mistakes which makes Rw hesitate sometimes.

Well thats ok, because we have Okungs and many other nullifying the no mistake thingy.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
storm74":192roe10 said:

I really really really want to believe this but what I saw this past Sunday and this season in general is a guy who I see bail out of the pocket and either throw on the run or run for a short gain 90% of the time. Its like something in his head is telling him to do this every single time, even when the pressure isnt there. Its troubling, at least to me

Bobblehead

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1tcsyt22 said:
storm74":1tcsyt22 said:

I really really really want to believe this but what I saw this past Sunday and this season in general is a guy who I see bail out of the pocket and either throw on the run or run for a short gain 90% of the time. Its like something in his head is telling him to do this every single time, even when the pressure isnt there. Its troubling, at least to me

Remember Rick Mirer?

Shell shock.
Ruin your quarterback in a heartbeat.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":4sutt1du said:
Anthony!":4sutt1du said:
storm74":4sutt1du said:

Well thats ok, because we have Okungs and many other nullifying the no mistake thingy.

LOL yeah another huge issue

Anthony!

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2t9qmmy9 said:
storm74":2t9qmmy9 said:

Sorry got to disagree he ahs stood in the pocket many times and taken hits. In fact in the Dallas game. Sometimes when he runs even with a pocket it is to help our WR get open. Standing back there like a statue does not help them at all, and they need the help

Kansashawkfan

Reaction score
Anthony!":24p8azj3 said:
storm74":24p8azj3 said:

But we DO have a number one receiver, he is just being used as a running back and/or decoy. He SHOULD be racing down field dragging a couple (or more) defenders with him. Up till now I have never questioned the coaching staff, they obviously have much more knowledge in their little toe than I do in my whole body. We have such tremendous talent in Harvin but he's getting slowly pounded running the ball. I don't get it. Since he seems to be destined to be misused, we should misuse him on the O line. They can use all the help they can get.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Remember last year when Wilson wasn't the same down the stretch, then we found out it was because he was playing with a bad injured shoulder and people were wondering why he wasn't as effective, could it be something else. I mean if he's hurt right now and can't trust that O-Line I would bail out too.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Kansashawkfan":2p3yzbuc said:
Anthony!":2p3yzbuc said:
storm74":2p3yzbuc said:

But we DO have a number one receiver, he is just being used as a running back and/or decoy. He SHOULD be racing down field dragging a couple (or more) defenders with him. Up till now I have never questioned the coaching staff, they obviously have much more knowledge in their little toe than I do in my whole body. We have such tremendous talent in Harvin but he's getting slowly pounded running the ball. I don't get it. Since he seems to be destined to be misused, we should misuse him on the O line. They can use all the help they can get.

Exactly though if he is not being used like a #1 then he is not a #1

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":p2ohjv3a said:
Remember last year when Wilson wasn't the same down the stretch, then we found out it was because he was playing with a bad injured shoulder and people were wondering why he wasn't as effective, could it be something else. I mean if he's hurt right now and can't trust that O-Line I would bail out too.

I would say it has something to do with his divorce, and whatever problems are weighing him down related to that whole issue, but I would probably get jumped on in a heart beat.

Kansashawkfan

Reaction score
Anthony!":30c746er said:
Kansashawkfan":30c746er said:
Anthony!":30c746er said:
storm74":30c746er said:

Exactly though if he is not being used like a #1 then he is not a #1

You are right of course. It just stymies me that we paid all that $ for a very top shelf receiver and don't use him. We know he's a great talent, he knows he's a great talent. Hell, the other team knows he's a great talent. They don't even have to TRY and cover him when we keep him behind the line of scrimmage. Send him deep, stretch the defense and take some of the pressure off of RW. He'll perform a whole lot better with the D focused Harvin.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Kansashawkfan":2gzwkokd said:
You are right of course. It just stymies me that we paid all that $ for a very top shelf receiver and don't use him. We know he's a great talent, he knows he's a great talent. Hell, the other team knows he's a great talent. They don't even have to TRY and cover him when we keep him behind the line of scrimmage. Send him deep, stretch the defense and take some of the pressure off of RW. He'll perform a whole lot better with the D focused Harvin.

agreed

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1xcmr58h said:
theincrediblesok":1xcmr58h said:

I would say it has something to do with his divorce, and whatever problems are weighing him down related to that whole issue, but I would probably get jumped on in a heart beat.
Certainly possible so I'm not discounting what you said or the possibility. However, considering this kid's level of focus I'd guess that was what led to the divorce not the divorce leading to the current situation. Just speculation on my part too of course.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
LOL. Russell has one bad game and the sky is falling. He has been playing fantastic this year.
I do agree about how Harvin is being used. He went deep vs Washington and it worked(yes, I know the TD was taken away). Keep him going deep, I say.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":24md4jko said:
therealjohncarlson":24md4jko said:
storm74":24md4jko said:

Sorry got to disagree he ahs stood in the pocket many times and taken hits. In fact in the Dallas game. Sometimes when he runs even with a pocket it is to help our WR get open. Standing back there like a statue does not help them at all, and they need the help

He's not getting rid of the ball on time. He doesn't need to stand there like a statue, he just needs to throw the damn ball. He needs to quit bailing out of the pocket twenty yards in the wrong direction too. There are plenty of holes to step up and through, but no, he gets sacked for fifteen yard losses because he gets contained while retreating.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
GeekHawk":nsctbadd said:
In year 1, RW spent the first half of the season learning the speed of the NFL, then (without a thorough grasp of Bevell's offense) we started ripping off 50-point games. Year 2, RW was better at the nuances of Bevell's offensive schemes and plans, and the offense was 'not a huge drag on the defense' which won us a Stuporbowl. In year 3, RW should have a really intimate grasp of the offense, what to run when where and to who(m), and we can't get a first down to save our lives. Is RW a better offensive coordinator than Bevell, while making it up on the fly? Does RW's playground style work better than Bevell's well-thought-out plans and schemes? Somebody talk me off the ledge...
There is no ledge to talk you off of, because I'm pretty damned sure our offense would be smokin' if Russell just ran it his way on the field.