Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Considering that they did the trade, yes I would have signed him to a Franchise tag and rolled the dice this year.

But I'm not a GM, I'm a Logistics manager at the end of the day, but I will say that my franchise on Madden is EPIC. :D

Not surprisingly, I see it differently. :D

I'm not a fan of Cousins. I posed this same question to my father who is a HUGE Redskins fan and he'd take Garoppolo every time.

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line.
    He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Just WATCH Jimmy play man. There are times you can watch a guy and you just KNOW.

The pick gave them a chance to sample the merchandise and clearly they loved what they saw.

Color me happy. :) Can't wait till next year.

Well, not against the Seahawks this season....
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Smh.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Crazy how fast the market has gone up.

That 22 million led to this point..
    Now that 22 million turns into 30-35 million..
    Go ahead think RW deserves it all you want but it's just going to bite the team in the ass.
    Eventually it will SC too but they got time before that happens.
    Anyone signing Cousins is a fool ..He is worth less than RW or JG
    This contract crap is way off kilter.

Whats funny about that is I remember when people saw the structure of the Kap deal there were so many here who said the Seahawks wouldn't "do" Russ that way.

That of course is now true.

However the offshoot of that will now be Russ commanding a backbreaking contract in a few years.

Nature of the business tho. If everything works out, in 5 years Jimmy G will be 31 years old and he might be looking for 40-45 mil per.

There is no way you will have winning teams having to pay so much to one spot.
    It may work for a year or two until the OL/RB gets theirs and so on.
    Those teams(Hawks included) will have no defense unless your have great drafts with luck.
    Meanwhile a team like the Vikings with a game manager,RB,decent line and a mean D
    will be going to SB's making plenty of teams looking foolish.
    That's how I see this ending and no I don't like it for my team.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Huge contract that's going to completely reset QB contracts going forward, but it's not as crazy as most people think. Cousins is going to command huge numbers and we already saw what Smith is getting in DC. With the production Jimmy GQ put out there at the end of the season, combined with the 9ers salary cap situation and the fact that NE of all places was willing to carry him on the roster at $17-18MM/year as a back-up -- it was a perfect storm for the contract.

This is a contract that's pointing to the long-term, no need for rentals. Imagine if the 9ers franchise tag GQ, Cousins, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees all end up signing for $30MM/year in the next 10 months and then GQ's performance remains consistently high and he ends up carrying the 9ers to a winning season/playoff birth... they'd end up having to pony up even more because the guy proved himself and he's years younger than anybody else listed. Getting contracts done early, barring injury/complete fall-off of talent, might seem like it costs a lot at first, but it usually ends up paying dividends after a few years, especially at highly sought after positions like QB. I think it'll be interesting if we ever see the NFL salary cap stop growing or be reduced, that's going to screw over a lot of teams who give contracts out under the assumption it will raise roughly $10MM a year.

Who's going to be the first to hit $30MM+ a year? I'm guessing Rodgers.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D

It did. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

Not saying that he will be great, but will you come back and say your wrong if he is good. You know eat that crow.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• QuickLightning wrote:I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

Nothing? Nobody saw this?

Guy looks as good as a league MVP and earned 75 million, all while starting in what, 6 games?

I get the position demands this much money. That's not the 9ers fault, thats the NFLs fault.

But come on...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

At least with Kap, the argument was the mobility.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

Not saying that he will be great, but will you come back and say your wrong if he is good. You know eat that crow.

People forget that not only have Niner fans suffered over the last few years with a s*** team, but we have seen elite QB play from 1981-1998, some pretty good QB play from 1999-2003, some garbage QB play from 2004-2005, mediocre QB play from 2006-2010, good game manager play in 2011, some big play and game management in 2012-2014, bad and so so QB play in 2015, okay QB play in 2016, bad/decent/really good QB play in 2017.

We've seen it all guys. It's like being a Packers fan or a Patriots fan..........spoiled with a long consecutive run of great QBing. A big # of the JG homers are actually Patriots fans...

JG was a super clutch 3rd down baller the likes we haven't seen since Steve Young at least.

The 7TD/5INT or whatever it is, is irrelevant....when people forget that he's brand new to the offense and the overall talent wasn't dominant.

When you go by the eye test you have to see Garopollo as being a top 10 NFL QB easily (and IMHO, quite a bit higher than that).

But it's ok, we'll just puff out our chests and be in secret envy we don't have Russell Wilson. :roll:
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Discuss the post, not the poster
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• So its like being the fan of an NFL team that is over 20 years old?

Got it...

"eye test" and this guy is a top 10 or better QB, and you want to question whether Seahawk fans are being disingenuous?

I mean that's better than:

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Ben Rothlisberger, Matt Stafford, the one very good year of Case Keenum, Alex Smith, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff.. blah blah blah

If you expect objectivity, then bring some with you.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Get the feeling it will turn out like these guys .

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I actually like the move. He has a ton of potential to be a franchise QB. We don't know what kind of leader he is in the locker room or on the practice field. I have to think if the whiners can build a team around them, they'll be good competition going forward. If not... oh well. They're a rival team. To hell with them.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Woah top 10 or quite a bit higher?? let's not go crazy here.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:I actually like the move. He has a ton of potential to be a franchise QB. We don't know what kind of leader he is in the locker room or on the practice field. I have to think if the whiners can build a team around them, they'll be good competition going forward. If not... oh well. They're a rival team. To hell with them.

I don’t think it’s a terrible move. It’s really the only one they had. Just chuckling at the lengths some will go to promote it. He’s good. Could be legit. The 9ets are paying for future without knowing too much from the past. Reminds me of what first round QBs would be like back before the slotted salaries. Teams would mortgage everything for the prospects of Andre Ware or Akili Smiths
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments once the league makes adjustments to him. I understand why SF had to do it, but its a ridiculous contract for somebody who has played so little as him.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Why not? They haven't lost with him and the cast of who he plays with and it's at this point not breaking the bank so.. 49ers seem to be back in the rivalry.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments once the league makes adjustments to him. I understand why SF had to do it, but its a ridiculous contract for somebody who has played so little as him.

That's gonna be more on Shanahan to make adjustments. His offense is definitely a factor for Jimmy G's success he called some great games all season. When we were 1-9 with Hoyer and Beathard the plays were always there they just couldn't execute. Jimmy G is hitting all the throws they couldn't make which is why he got a fat paycheck.
    SF49r
    NET Starter

• NINEster wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

You would have been thrilled with a Dak comp last year.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Speaking of Dak..
    There is one thing about all this BS,I can't wait till Jruh's cap falls even more to hell
    When he has to pay for that great line and that moron at RB .
    Then comes the golden goose ..Dac
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

You would have been thrilled with a Dak comp last year.

My only issue with Dak comparison is that to me he was kinda protected the way Kap and RGIII were.

When Zeke doesn't play, Dak is a completely different guy. Dak needs that run game and play action to be effective.

The run game is a big part of the Shanahan Offense (and obviously it was Kyle and his dad who ran the O for RGIII) and they ran play action this year, but there wasn't a dominant run game that Jimmy was leaning on to be effective. It was HIM who got the ball moving and opened things up. It was him who rose everyone else game around him.

IE, in Dallas its Zeke and that line that is the cog that everything runs on. In those last 5 games last year, it was almost all Jimmy. He was the switch that got flipped.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D

It did. 8)

When a Hernia has a Hernia...... :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Seahawks4life
    NET Rookie

• Jimmy G is worth it as long as he doesn't get injured.
    The best part is the cap hit the other big qb teams will have to pay out for much more experienced qbs. I find it bold yet smart. If he was franchised and he rocked out he would command substantially more and the other qbs would have set the market. Its a risk but I like it.
    Sourdough #49
    NET Rookie

• rlkats wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

Improve your grammar, and I'll force him to do it.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• QuickLightning wrote:I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

It's not that he didn't look good. It's that you couldn't get him for less due to him having only started half a season. It was a chance to possibly get an excellent player inked to a more advantageous contract for the rest of the team - for winning a championship.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

It's not that he didn't look good. It's that you couldn't get him for less due to him having only started half a season. It was a chance to possibly get an excellent player inked to a more advantageous contract for the rest of the team - for winning a championship.

The issue with getting him for less despite him having only started half a season is twofold:

1) As much as you’re negotiating against other contracts you’re also negotiating against APY for the next two years of the franchise tag. That’s what we learned from Cousins, and everyone thinks Washington is dumb now that they realize that two years ago they could have locked up Cousins long term for less than they’re now paying a 33 year old Alex Smith.

2) With the salary cap going up 10 million per year the most recent big investment QB to sign is going to be the highest paid. Two offseasons sho Derek Carr was the highest paid QB in the league. Last offseason Matthew Stafford became the highest paid QB in the league. By the end of this offseason Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, and likely Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers (if not also Big Ben) are going to be competing to be highest paid QB in the league and when they do resign (Wilson too) they’re all going to come in higher than Garroppollo. Alex Smith isn’t getting paid the same as Russell Wilson because anyone thinks they’d just as well have Smith to Wilson, it’s just that Smith signed an extension a few weeks ago and Wilson signed an extension a few years ago. Long story short, by the end of this offseason the 9ers won’t be betting that Garoppollo is going to be the best QB in the NFL, they’re betting he’s going to be somewhere between Stafford and Carr and paying him accordingly in the era of a rising cap.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.
    theincrediblesok
    NET Veteran

• Actually he had 7 TD and 5 picks, still a horrible TD/INT ratio. In that sense my comp to Dak was extremely generous.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games
    SF49r
    NET Starter

• SF49r wrote:Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games

He’d better improve that ratio or he will be mediocre at best.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

What would you have done? (Real question)

Safe to me would have been slapping him with the franchise tag, not signing him long term.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• theincrediblesok wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.

Look at the numbers before and after Garoppolo got there. It's staggering. Here's the link Popeye provided (https://s6.postimg.org/jjxo0mm8x/BJG.jpg).

Look at his supporting cast. The receivers the 49ers were running out there the second half of the season were pathetic. Kendrick Bourne (UDFA)? Aldrick Robinson? Louis Murphy? Trent Taylor? Marquis Goodwin was a Buffalo castoff and he looked like a star in the second half of the season. I agree his TD/INT numbers were underwhelming, but his overall efficiency -- and the offense has a whole -- was astounding. It's also hard to ignore that he inherited a 1-10 team and finished with five straight wins.

What is his production going to look like with a real supporting cast? They could sign a guy like Allen Robinson, and suddenly go into next season with Pierre Garcon, Allen Robinson, Marquis Goodwin, and Trent Taylor. Also, Garoppolo had been with the 49ers for what -- a month before he got there? The system New England ran was completely different than what Shanahan runs. Imagine a real supporting cast, plus a full offseason to digest and master Shanahan's system.

They paid a ton, but that's sort of par for the course with QBs these days. I think it takes a pretty cynical lens to not be impressed by what he accomplished. The NFC West is suddenly looking like it has a lot of competition again.
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    SF49r wrote:Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games

We need a red zone target bad, too many small quick receivers.. Jimmy Graham pls
    SF49r
    NET Starter

• SF49r wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    SF49r wrote:Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games

We need a red zone target bad, too many small quick receivers.. Jimmy Graham pls

As long as Bevell isn’t your OC, I think “I’m Jimmy” would beast down there.
    In other words, I hope you don’t get him. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:

Every time I have tried to type something in an attempt to criticize Jimmy, I keep remembering that the stats he had during his 5-0 run was with basically a bunch of practice squad replacements, so it’s difficult to criticize what he did knowing that the bigger picture is he turned a legit 1-10 loser of a team into a squad that NOBODY in the postseason would have wanted to see. I mean he kicked the Jaguars off their pedestal by dropping 44 points on them with basically BACKUPS!

The dude elevated all the players around him, and put them in starter costumes making them look the part.

Knowing all that it’s extremely difficult to say anything negative about him or the Niners choice to pay him like they did.

I for one am looking forward to the competition within the division.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• So I’m going to choose to bite my homer tongue so I don’t have to eat a ton of crow later.

This makes me even more so DESPERATE for us to right our ship so that we can compete against them next year. As it seems right now that we are just starting what the Niners went through the last few years.

Because if I have to watch us clawing for 3rd behind the Niners and Rams next year, I’m gonna freakin’ lose it!
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• Popeyejones wrote:
    BirdsCommaAngry wrote:I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

Safe to me would have been slapping him with the franchise tag, not signing him long term.

Try to sign him for less. Even with the simple perspective of a fan, SF looks like an incredible opportunity to work with a seemingly exceptional offensive mind and to be the hero of a previously down-trodden franchise. Why would Jimmy G. need this much of a financial incentive to stay?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    BirdsCommaAngry wrote:I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

Try to sign him for less. Even with the simple perspective of a fan, SF looks like an incredible opportunity to work with a seemingly exceptional offensive mind and to be the hero of a previously down-trodden franchise. Why would Jimmy G. need this much of a financial incentive to stay?

Don’t think that his contract is going to seem that big after the rest of the QB’s sign their extensions/contracts soon. It just seems large due to the fact that his was before the others.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• JimmyG wrote:
    theincrediblesok wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

Look at the numbers before and after Garoppolo got there. It's staggering. Here's the link Popeye provided (https://s6.postimg.org/jjxo0mm8x/BJG.jpg).

Look at his supporting cast. The receivers the 49ers were running out there the second half of the season were pathetic. Kendrick Bourne (UDFA)? Aldrick Robinson? Louis Murphy? Trent Taylor? Marquis Goodwin was a Buffalo castoff and he looked like a star in the second half of the season. I agree his TD/INT numbers were underwhelming, but his overall efficiency -- and the offense has a whole -- was astounding. It's also hard to ignore that he inherited a 1-10 team and finished with five straight wins.

What is his production going to look like with a real supporting cast? They could sign a guy like Allen Robinson, and suddenly go into next season with Pierre Garcon, Allen Robinson, Marquis Goodwin, and Trent Taylor. Also, Garoppolo had been with the 49ers for what -- a month before he got there? The system New England ran was completely different than what Shanahan runs. Imagine a real supporting cast, plus a full offseason to digest and master Shanahan's system.

They paid a ton, but that's sort of par for the course with QBs these days. I think it takes a pretty cynical lens to not be impressed by what he accomplished. The NFC West is suddenly looking like it has a lot of competition again.

Beat me to it.

To piggyback a bit...

People quoting his TD/INT ratio...man that's comical. WATCH THE GAMES. The 49ers scored on 64% of their drives with Jimmy G at QB. By way of comparison NE scored on 51%.

Hows this for performance. When he was in there THE ENTIRE TEAM was better. How much better?

YARDS PER GAME
    Before Garoppolo: 321.7 (21st in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 410.0 (1st in NFL*)
    Total: 349.3 (12th in NFL)

NET PASSING PER GAME
    Before Garoppolo: 221.8 (17th in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 297.0 (1st in NFL*)
    Total: 245.3 (9th in NFL)

THIRD DOWNS
    Before Garoppolo: 34.1 percent (26th in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 50.0 percent (1st in NFL*)
    Total: 38.9 percent (16th in NFL)

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
    Before Garoppolo: 56.6 percent (31st in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 67.0 percent (3rd in NFL*)
    Total: 59.6 percent (25th in NFL)

SACKS ALLOWED
    Before Garoppolo: 35 (tied for 6th most in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 8 (27th most in NFL*)
    Total: 43 (tied for 11th most in NFL)

TIME OF POSSESSION
    Before Garoppolo: 27:36 (31st in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 32:54 (1st in NFL*)
    Total: 28:44 (26th in NFL)

POINTS PER GAME
    Before Garoppolo: 17.0 (28th in NFL)
    After Garoppolo: 28.8 (2nd in NFL*)
    Total: 20.9 (20th in NFL)

He did that without playing a single down with their best WR, Pierre Garcon. He did that without a redzone threat and a month to learn the offense.

So come on...don't quote one cherrypicked stat (TD/INT) and pretend like that the end all. How about this stat....8.8 Yards per ATTEMPT. Here's another one. No team in NFL history that started 1-10 had EVER finished better than 3-13. The 49ers went 6-10. That had never happened before. Ever.

I can do this all day. This isn't an illusion. Now I'm certain there will come a time when he has struggles, but I got ZERO problem with that contract. None...particularly now that I've seen the structure.

There are times when you watch a guy play and you can just see it. You can see when a guy just has that "it" that is so hard to define.

Anyone who watched him without prejudice can see...the dude has "it".
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

Honestly, this just ain't how it works.

Jimmys agent knew if they didn't sign him to a long term deal they'd have to franchise him. Means the START point is the value of the tag.

If you add up tagging a player three times its going to be roughly 80-90 mil...which is the value of Jimmys contract in the first 3 years.

It is structured however to be front-loaded (since they have so much space now) so that in a few years they could cut him with relatively little dead money. If he is what they think he is, a huge portion is paid out in the first few years which leaves them with the ability to resign some guys when their rookie contracts expire. Most contracts for QBs get bigger and bigger in later years of the deal. Jimmys deal is huge in year 1, much smaller in year 2, and then pretty stable in years 3-5...meaning it doesn't increase with the cap as many others are.

Bottom line, Jimmy was simply next. Thats the way this works. People always get up in arms about what a guy is "worth". Thats bogus. Doesn't work that way. Whatever halfway decent QB is next in line will get the biggest deal. Jimmys status as highest paid player won't even survive the offseason. He'll fall to the 2nd or 3rd spot before Kickoff on opening day.

When Jimmy is makin' 26 mil or so in a few years, Wilson will sign his contract and it'll likely be way north of 30.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• The guy came in and completely changed the culture of the team. I'm hoping for week 1 to be prime time against SF. NFC West is back to being one of the toughest divisions again. Seahawks, Rams, and Niners will be duking it out for years to come.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• It's almost like TD/INT ratio isn't that meaningful of a stat without context...Derek Carr was 28/6 last year.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:Honestly, this just ain't how it works.

Jimmys agent knew if they didn't sign him to a long term deal they'd have to franchise him. Means the START point is the value of the tag.

If you add up tagging a player three times its going to be roughly 80-90 mil...which is the value of Jimmys contract in the first 3 years.

It is structured however to be front-loaded (since they have so much space now) so that in a few years they could cut him with relatively little dead money. If he is what they think he is, a huge portion is paid out in the first few years which leaves them with the ability to resign some guys when their rookie contracts expire. Most contracts for QBs get bigger and bigger in later years of the deal. Jimmys deal is huge in year 1, much smaller in year 2, and then pretty stable in years 3-5...meaning it doesn't increase with the cap as many others are.

Bottom line, Jimmy was simply next. Thats the way this works. People always get up in arms about what a guy is "worth". Thats bogus. Doesn't work that way. Whatever halfway decent QB is next in line will get the biggest deal. Jimmys status as highest paid player won't even survive the offseason. He'll fall to the 2nd or 3rd spot before Kickoff on opening day.

When Jimmy is makin' 26 mil or so in a few years, Wilson will sign his contract and it'll likely be way north of 30.

Regardless of whether or not he's "worth" it, they probably could've kept him for less. Rather than ignoring his inexperience, it could've been an opportunity to make a more cost-efficient roster than other teams rather than a comparably cost-efficient roster. It could've been an opportunity to say "Hey, we're building something special here and it's worth leaving some money on the table to be a part of it." It's so safe. If this unwillingness to play even a little hardball continues, how would a playoff team be maintained? I don't think Schneider made a single player the highest paid player at their position for any period of time during his multitude of long-term contracts.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

Try to sign him for less.

Well, I mean, yeah, sure, why not. :lol:

If you want to know what the structure of the deal is, for years 1 and 2 they're more or less paying him two years of the franchise tag. From years 3-5 he's getting 25 million per year but there's not really any dead money if they want to more on from him after year 2. I'd guess by year 3 that 25 APY will put him in the 10-15 range for QB salaries.

The issue with just franchising him this year instead of signing him is three or four guys are about to reset the QB market in the next few months, and then Wilson is going to reset it again probably. Basically, unless he totally flames out you're going to end up paying him even more APY next year or franchise him twice anyway.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• If he wins an actual meaningful game for the Niners, I'll be a believer.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:

Kap looked good against Chicago, then the very next week started to look more like the Kap of today. HE never changed much. What changed was Randy Moss and Delanie Walker left, Vernon Davis got old, Anthony Davis retired to smoke weed, Mike Iupati and Frank Gore left, Ted Ginn left, Mario Manningham left, Alex Boone left, Jonathan Goodwin retired, Bruce Miller got cut, and so on.

Jimmy G didn’t have all that. He was throwing to Lewis Murphy, Marquise Goodwin and some rookies, and he had the likes of terrible GUARD Zane Beadles blocking for him at RIGHT TACKLE. Put Jimmy G on the 2012 49ers and that team is significantly better.

I know good quarterbacking when I see it. Kap never progressed beyond “potential.” Garoppolo even without any further improvement will be a quality starter. Why? Because he makes fast reads and gets ride of the ball quickly, and even though he has “game manager” tendencies, he can consistently throw in the 12-25 yard window that makes it hard to do the Alex Smith defense against him, and he can throw under pressure and convert third downs. If he DOESN’T progress, he will still be a worthy starter.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.

Eight games into Kap's career he looked like the next biggest superstar, and where are we at with jimmy? 8 games in, that's all Im saying.

Rodgers also got extended after 7 starts. That seemed to work out.

And Rosgers and Garoppolo have a LOT more in common in play style and strengths than Garoppolo and Kap.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Image

Get the feeling it will turn out like these guys .

Then you haven’t watched the film.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information