49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1lnl1art said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah this is a fantastic signing. Many fellow Hawks fans desperately hoping it's an overpay, that he will suck, that he hasn't proven anything, etc. Turn on the film. He has maybe one glaring weakness that is an easily correctable mechanics issue. Otherwise he has looked legit with a terrible supporting cast.

Shanahan isn't going anywhere and Jimmy has shown he can run that system with subpar players. They shredded the Jags D that was top 2 in the league. They also have so much cap space they can sign whomever they want. The next few years are gonna be ROUGH for our seahawks unless they hit on a ton of draft picks, stay healthy, and the best players play as well as they ever have.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Crazy how fast the market has gone up.

2_0_6

Reaction score
HawkFan72":n8oikoz6 said:
Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Agree with you, but when Russ signed the extension there was enough out there to know exactly what he brought to the table. While Jimmy G has shown some really great flashes, its still 8 games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
2_0_6":exyqrbo3 said:
HawkFan72":exyqrbo3 said:

Agree with you, but when Russ signed the extension there was enough out there to know exactly what he brought to the table. While Jimmy G has shown some really great flashes, its still 8 games.

Yes, it has only been 8 games, but realistically, what are the other options?

Franchise Tag? Pay him 23.5 mill for one year while the entire market moves? He signed for 27.5 mil per but next year it would be over 30.

He might suck? Well clearly THEY think he's the guy and they didn't just view him from afar. He was in the building for half the season and played great in 5 games.

If he does suck though, it won't kill them. They are far below the salary FLOOR so they had to spend the money anyway.

Who SHOULD they have spent those dollars on?

Taken in a Vacuum, its a ludicrous contract...but it was ALWAYS going to be. This contract is the reason why he was available for "only" a 2nd round pick. Niners have this cap space plus ALOT more.

Hell, they could pay him 30 mil this year and STILL have more space than every team but the Browns.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Considering that they did the trade, yes I would have signed him to a Franchise tag and rolled the dice this year.

But I'm not a GM, I'm a Logistics manager at the end of the day, but I will say that my franchise on Madden is EPIC. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
2_0_6":2w4xtf0w said:
If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Considering that they did the trade, yes I would have signed him to a Franchise tag and rolled the dice this year.

But I'm not a GM, I'm a Logistics manager at the end of the day, but I will say that my franchise on Madden is EPIC. :D

Not surprisingly, I see it differently. :D

I'm not a fan of Cousins. I posed this same question to my father who is a HUGE Redskins fan and he'd take Garoppolo every time.

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line. He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Just WATCH Jimmy play man. There are times you can watch a guy and you just KNOW.

The pick gave them a chance to sample the merchandise and clearly they loved what they saw.

Color me happy. :) Can't wait till next year.

mrt144

Reaction score
Marvin49":1tkiw9mk said:
2_0_6":1tkiw9mk said:

I'm not a fan of Cousins. I posed this same question to my father who is a HUGE Redskins fan and he'd take Garoppolo every time.

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line. He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Just WATCH Jimmy play man. There are times you can watch a guy and you just KNOW.

The pick gave them a chance to sample the merchandise and clearly they loved what they saw.

Just take this to heart: With increased sample size variance will cause heart palpatations at points.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1qxqqcup said:

That 22 million led to this point..
Now that 22 million turns into 30-35 million..
Go ahead think RW deserves it all you want but it's just going to bite the team in the ass.
Eventually it will SC too but they got time before that happens.
Anyone signing Cousins is a fool ..He is worth less than RW or JG
This contract crap is way off kilter.

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":7wi1q6d6 said:
HawkFan72":7wi1q6d6 said:

Go ahead think RW deserves it all you want but it's just going to bite the team in the ass.

Whats funny about that is I remember when people saw the structure of the Kap deal there were so many here who said the Seahawks wouldn't "do" Russ that way.

That of course is now true.

However the offshoot of that will now be Russ commanding a backbreaking contract in a few years.

Nature of the business tho. If everything works out, in 5 years Jimmy G will be 31 years old and he might be looking for 40-45 mil per.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Marvin49":2h4be22m said:
2_0_6":2h4be22m said:

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line.
He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Well, not against the Seahawks this season....

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2i796ktu said:
IndyHawk":2i796ktu said:
HawkFan72":2i796ktu said:

Whats funny about that is I remember when people saw the structure of the Kap deal there were so many here who said the Seahawks wouldn't "do" Russ that way.

That of course is now true.

However the offshoot of that will now be Russ commanding a backbreaking contract in a few years.

Nature of the business tho. If everything works out, in 5 years Jimmy G will be 31 years old and he might be looking for 40-45 mil per.
There is no way you will have winning teams having to pay so much to one spot.
It may work for a year or two until the OL/RB gets theirs and so on.
Those teams(Hawks included) will have no defense unless your have great drafts with luck.
Meanwhile a team like the Vikings with a game manager,RB,decent line and a mean D
will be going to SB's making plenty of teams looking foolish.
That's how I see this ending and no I don't like it for my team.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Huge contract that's going to completely reset QB contracts going forward, but it's not as crazy as most people think. Cousins is going to command huge numbers and we already saw what Smith is getting in DC. With the production Jimmy GQ put out there at the end of the season, combined with the 9ers salary cap situation and the fact that NE of all places was willing to carry him on the roster at $17-18MM/year as a back-up -- it was a perfect storm for the contract.

This is a contract that's pointing to the long-term, no need for rentals. Imagine if the 9ers franchise tag GQ, Cousins, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees all end up signing for $30MM/year in the next 10 months and then GQ's performance remains consistently high and he ends up carrying the 9ers to a winning season/playoff birth... they'd end up having to pony up even more because the guy proved himself and he's years younger than anybody else listed. Getting contracts done early, barring injury/complete fall-off of talent, might seem like it costs a lot at first, but it usually ends up paying dividends after a few years, especially at highly sought after positions like QB. I think it'll be interesting if we ever see the NFL salary cap stop growing or be reduced, that's going to screw over a lot of teams who give contracts out under the assumption it will raise roughly $10MM a year.

Who's going to be the first to hit $30MM+ a year? I'm guessing Rodgers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1e8r2e9m said:
Sports Hernia":1e8r2e9m said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D
It did. 8)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

rlkats

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3aqfxxz5 said:
Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

Not saying that he will be great, but will you come back and say your wrong if he is good. You know eat that crow.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
QuickLightning":9d4imktx said:
I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

Nothing? Nobody saw this?

Guy looks as good as a league MVP and earned 75 million, all while starting in what, 6 games?

I get the position demands this much money. That's not the 9ers fault, thats the NFLs fault.

But come on...

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":393bd49z said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

At least with Kap, the argument was the mobility.

NINEster

Reaction score
rlkats":30icpc1u said:
NFSeahawks628":30icpc1u said:

Not saying that he will be great, but will you come back and say your wrong if he is good. You know eat that crow.

People forget that not only have Niner fans suffered over the last few years with a s*** team, but we have seen elite QB play from 1981-1998, some pretty good QB play from 1999-2003, some garbage QB play from 2004-2005, mediocre QB play from 2006-2010, good game manager play in 2011, some big play and game management in 2012-2014, bad and so so QB play in 2015, okay QB play in 2016, bad/decent/really good QB play in 2017.

We've seen it all guys. It's like being a Packers fan or a Patriots fan..........spoiled with a long consecutive run of great QBing. A big # of the JG homers are actually Patriots fans...

JG was a super clutch 3rd down baller the likes we haven't seen since Steve Young at least.

The 7TD/5INT or whatever it is, is irrelevant....when people forget that he's brand new to the offense and the overall talent wasn't dominant.

When you go by the eye test you have to see Garopollo as being a top 10 NFL QB easily (and IMHO, quite a bit higher than that).

But it's ok, we'll just puff out our chests and be in secret envy we don't have Russell Wilson. :roll: