49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

mrt144

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2mr81gf6 said:
"Wow, we might have a great player. Lets offer him a large enough contract to make it so he must always play like a great player to justify our investment."

Bingo.

HawkGA

Reaction score
iigakusei":1jv4kqbz said:
Cousins will get more.

Probably true, but I'd take Jimmy G over Cousins.

I would not be surprised if Super Bowl winning QBs start becoming rookies or QBs on their first contracts. These huge QB salaries are going to start crippling teams from being able to field a team around them.

2_0_6

Reaction score
rlkats":2grpuzvs said:
sdog1981":2grpuzvs said:
That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.

This is the big picture idea. While I agree on the tag idea. What happens if he continues to kill it? Then the contract will be way over 30 mil per year. Hell Cousins will get that this year. So I think its an educated gamble, that hopefully pays off.

There are miles and miles between Jimmy G and Cousins as we sit today.

Cousins has proved that he is a 4k yard passer, where Jimmy G has proved that we can win meaningless games late in the season.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":3sbg1zcw said:
iigakusei":3sbg1zcw said:
Cousins will get more.

Probably true, but I'd take Jimmy G over Cousins.

I would not be surprised if Super Bowl winning QBs start becoming rookies or QBs on their first contracts. These huge QB salaries are going to start crippling teams from being able to field a team around them.

Not just cripple them in terms of salary, which might not ever come to fruition if the cap expands at a similar rate prior (speculative), but in terms of designing an actual team.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3r7wb9qz said:
What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.
Not possible. Garoppolo showed FAR more than Flynn ever did. Flynn's supposed great game consisted of mostly wide open touchdowns while having a mostly clean pocket, against the 23rd ranked defense with several really good WRs and TEs (Cobb, Jennings [Pro Bowl], Driver, Finley, etc). Flynn didn't have to do this on nearly half his passes, and that is why he was fools gold and Garoppolo is not:

http://freegifmaker.me/images/2bAFe/

2bAFe

Basically, Garoppolo was working with the talent of a 1-10 team, one with ZANE BEADLES playing right tackle, and Marquise Goodwin as the number one WR, and he was throwing under pressure almost every throw. The people comparing him to the likes of Flynn have not watched the film on either one and ought to be ashamed of themselves. They are the same ones making the idiotic Ryan Mallett comparisons.

Show me how Flynn did this for Green Bay or any other team:

THAT SAID, the contract IS ridiculous. But this is the market. If Matthew Stafford is worth 25 million per year, a younger, clearly talented QB, who was literally used over and over again in film chosen by Kyle Shanahan before last season's draft to show John Lynch what his ideal QB looked like, is worth around that much.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
2_0_6":3756u7o2 said:
Russ, Ryan and Rodgers will all be $30+mil players soon.

In-friggen-sane!
There is going to come a breaking point. With the supposed dropping of ratings, at some point the total cash is going to slow down. But I think QB salaries are going to break things before the league reacts to that impending reality.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah...

Me=Ecstatic. :D

1) Yes, its a TON of money for someone who has started 7 games. Its just ludicrous money. Ask yourself this though....if he were a free agent, what would he be offered? If there were multiple teams bidding for him, how much does he make. I'd submit he makes more than Cousins.

2) The 49ers are 116 mil under the cap. One of the reasons for that is that they roll previous years cap space into this year. That money HAS to get spent or it goes away. It doesn't go into Jeds pocket as many would like you to believe.

3) The contract is front loaded. 90 mil in the first 3 years. I'd guess a big chunk in year one. That means 2 things. First, if he sucks a few years from now they will only have spent unused cap space on him and they can get out of the deal with little dead money. If he works out, he'll be UNDER paid by that point and the big dollars will have been paid early give them space later in the deal.

4) This in many ways makes SF a destination for Free Agents.

I know its a lot of money, but in big perspective its a no-brainer.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2q0np367 said:
2_0_6":2q0np367 said:
Russ, Ryan and Rodgers will all be $30+mil players soon.

In-friggen-sane!
There is going to come a breaking point. With the supposed dropping of ratings, at some point the total cash is going to slow down. But I think QB salaries are going to break things before the league reacts to that impending reality.

Maybe...but Fox just spent 600 plus per season for the worst package (Thursday nights) that will be simulcast on NFL Network and streaming.

Money isn't drying up. Yet.

SF49r

Reaction score
We probably overpaid but it was the right thing to do. Small sample size but in that small sample size he already shown enough. Coming in mid-season and only learning a third of the playbook and to completely turn around a 1-10 team is actually amazing. Don't see how it would get worse when he finally gets a training camp learning the full offense while we upgrade the skill positions. Not like hes doing anything gimmicky hes just executing Shanahan's offense which has always been good. This is our FQB now so locking him up makes sense.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo. This is Aaron Rodgers money to a guy that has proven very little.

Marvin49

Reaction score
2_0_6":kos3h969 said:
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2sopuxib said:
Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo.

No. Freakin. Way.

They think he's "THE" guy.

If you think that, lock him up NOW.

If you franchise him you are still paying him 23 mil plus and then NEXT year you are in same spot, contract is 20% higher, and you are contending with contracts for Cousins, Ryan and Rodgers.

Screw that. Sign him now to smart contract they can get out of if need be what they are 116 mil under the cap.

Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hlgxto9 said:
2_0_6":2hlgxto9 said:

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.

Eight games into Kap's career he looked like the next biggest superstar, and where are we at with jimmy? 8 games in, that's all Im saying.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Marvin49":3bqplgu0 said:
Trrrroy":3bqplgu0 said:

No. Freakin. Way.

If you franchise him you are still paying him 23 mil plus and then NEXT year you are in same spot, contract is 20% higher, and you are contending with contracts for Cousins, Ryan and Rodgers.

Screw that. Sign him now to smart contract they can get out of if need be what they are 116 mil under the cap.

Unless he sucks. Dude looked good for half a season. So what? Lots of QB's have looked good for 8 games before the wheels fall off. Let him prove it then sign the Aaron Rodgers deal.

This is the type of deal that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't work out. Too much risk for me.
He's just as likely to be the next Kevin Kolb as Aaron Rodgers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That team has a lot of other issues. Way too much $ to pay a guy who has what 5 starts last year? Good player, but down the road this will hurt them cap wise. In 2019, I think they are going to be real good, 2018, meh.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11w3r39u said:
That team has a lot of other issues. Way too much $ to pay a guy who has what 5 starts last year? Good player, but down the road this will hurt them cap wise. In 2019, I think they are going to be real good, 2018, meh.

I think peeps are missing th point here capwise.

They are 116 mil under the cap.

The contract is front loaded.

The cap is going up.

In later years vs the cap this will look like a bargain. The last 2 years will average 23.5 mil per....which is Alex Smith money.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3d476gcp said:
Marvin49":3d476gcp said:
Trrrroy":3d476gcp said:

No. Freakin. Way.

Unless he sucks. Dude looked good for half a season. So what? Lots of QB's have looked good for 8 games before the wheels fall off. Let him prove it then sign the Aaron Rodgers deal.

This is the type of deal that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't work out. Too much risk for me.
He's just as likely to be the next Kevin Kolb as Aaron Rodgers.

...and if he sucks, 75 is guaranteed and contract front loaded....IE they get out of it in 3 years with little dead money.

Remember...this is a BIG part.

They HAVE to spend the money. They need to meet the rolling 3 year salary FLOOR. Money needs to be spent...why not roll those dice on a guy you really like?

Franchise tag was always last resort.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.