For those wringing their hands at contracts

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes these guys have signed for big dollars on the surface, now step back and look at why a lot of them are cut, their big contracts, back load them and the up front isn't so bad, they play a couple years and don't see the back end and big dollars. Why they were cut in the first place, the guys getting a bulk of money up front are teams with huge cap room and trying to be the Rams this year or the Redskins in other years by signing dumb contracts and trying to make a one year splash, which rarely and hardly ever works.

If I am a player and smart, I know almost an oxymoron these days, I take 70 percent of going market front loaded bonus and years spread out for a team I think is close in a culture that is suitable to my personality.

You get your full contract more then likely and have security up front and a winning culture and good work environment.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great points. It's that time of year when every time a team signs someone, people come out of the woodwork and talk about how "stupid" the Hawks are for not signing someone. As if the rest of the league didn't just pass up on the same player.

sdog1981

Reaction score
For all NFL contacts just cut it in half. If a guy gets a six-year deal he will be cut or traded after 3 years.

Chapow

Reaction score
There's also the fact that the salary cap has gone up by over $10 million every year for the past 6 years. In 2014 the salary cap was $133 million. 5 years later it is now $188 million. That's a huge increase in such a short period of time.

Teams simply have a lot more to spend on players than they did even 5 years ago.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
If I were an above average to great player I would bet on myself and do 1 years deals. All guaranteed and all up front.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Chapow":3olwnapu said:
There's also the fact that the salary cap has gone up by over $10 million every year for the past 6 years. In 2014 the salary cap was $133 million. 5 years later it is now $188 million. That's a huge increase in such a short period of time.

Teams simply have a lot more to spend on players than they did even 5 years ago.
This is exactly right. Can't just look at the APY and compare that to guys that signed previous. It makes more sense to look at the APY's percentage of the total cap, which hasn't really changed over the years. Top pass rushers have made around 10-14% of their teams cap in the past. So makes sense why Frank's probably going to be around that (10% would be 18.8M, 14% would be 26.35M per year).

Latest posts