Laloosh

Reaction score
Upon hearing the news of an imminent deal:
tumblr_lx8yn39YoP1qlbkes.gif

Upon hearing that Allen left unsigned:
Boy flipping the bird

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That about covered it. Glad I didn't get excited in either direction. He'll sign or not and in either case our defense will be fine.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I wonder if this will be like the T.O. or Winfield signing and that he has to MAKE the team. It would be hilarious if Scruggs beats him out.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
The OP is spot on. Picture = 1000 words.

There is such an amazing lack of respect from some regarding Allen and his value. He is the leading sack artist over the last 3 yrs combined. Of the UFA's this year, he had more sacks than any other. More than Ware, more than Peppers, more than Tuck. He had 11.5 sacks last season in a "down year", playing on an average/below average team with little help over the top. The fact that he is still available and potentially willing to sign with the Hawks is amazing considering how quickly the others flew off the market. Perhaps it is yet another apology from the football gods for 2005. A "hey, you got hosed so badly on that one, we want to help you win more than just 1 SB to make up for it. It's taken us a few years to put it all together, but here's more help toward building a dynasty that could be for the ages."

I wouldn't doubt that he's dealing with a number of issues in making his decision:

1. He and his agent probably misread the market, and he is probably kicking himself for not taking the Broncos offer when it was first extended.
2. He is probably shocked at how fast the elite/formally elite DE market dried up, with him being the one left standing.
3. He may have a larger offer on the table for a bad team, and is weighing out with his family whether to sign for more money or have a chance to win a SB(s).
4. He may have brought his family out with him to try and win them over to the idea of him accepting less money to play/live here for a few years.
5. He may still have some convincing to do at home, and won't sign until his wife buys in along with him, or she convinces him this is the best decision for them.
6. He may still be trying to swallow his pride and competitive nature off the field, get over the sting of being the last man standing, and refocus himself on kicking a$$ on the field.
7. He may be doing a final gut check to see if the fire inside still burns enough to come to a team where nothing is guaranteed, and the 'want to' has to be there every day in order to play on game days.

The man has earned the right to take a weekend to decide anything he wants. I'll respect whatever he decides to do, even if that means signing with a team like the Raiders for more money, or calling it a career and riding off into the sunset.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Marlin Man":dafusdqe said:
Could care less about the fool

Assuming you're a Hawks fan, and Allen does decide to sign with us, I want to see you repeat this comment if he's on the platform hoisting another Lombardi trophy with the team at the end of next season...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Saying you could care less means that you care plenty.

Now if you said you couldn't care less, that would make sense.

And in what universe is Jared Allen a fool??? Dude has 10 plus sacks for 7 straight seasons, and hasn't missed a game since 2007. All on a crappy team. Yeah, what a "fool" :?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":1hhy8rkf said:
The OP is spot on. Picture = 1000 words.

There is such an amazing lack of respect from some regarding Allen and his value. He is the leading sack artist over the last 3 yrs combined. Of the UFA's this year, he had more sacks than any other. More than Ware, more than Peppers, more than Tuck. He had 11.5 sacks last season in a "down year", playing on an average/below average team with little help over the top. The fact that he is still available and potentially willing to sign with the Hawks is amazing considering how quickly the others flew off the market. Perhaps it is yet another apology from the football gods for 2005. A "hey, you got hosed so badly on that one, we want to help you win more than just 1 SB to make up for it. It's taken us a few years to put it all together, but here's more help toward building a dynasty that could be for the ages."

I wouldn't doubt that he's dealing with a number of issues in making his decision:

1. He and his agent probably misread the market, and he is probably kicking himself for not taking the Broncos offer when it was first extended.
2. He is probably shocked at how fast the elite/formally elite DE market dried up, with him being the one left standing.
3. He may have a larger offer on the table for a bad team, and is weighing out with his family whether to sign for more money or have a chance to win a SB(s).
4. He may have brought his family out with him to try and win them over to the idea of him accepting less money to play/live here for a few years.
5. He may still have some convincing to do at home, and won't sign until his wife buys in along with him, or she convinces him this is the best decision for them.
6. He may still be trying to swallow his pride and competitive nature off the field, get over the sting of being the last man standing, and refocus himself on kicking a$$ on the field.
7. He may be doing a final gut check to see if the fire inside still burns enough to come to a team where nothing is guaranteed, and the 'want to' has to be there every day in order to play on game days.

The man has earned the right to take a weekend to decide anything he wants. I'll respect whatever he decides to do, even if that means signing with a team like the Raiders for more money, or calling it a career and riding off into the sunset.
Nice post. This from a person mostly against him signing. You pretty laid out my thoughts in a far more eloquent and nicer way than I could.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1g86m8wv said:
That about covered it. Glad I didn't get excited in either direction. He'll sign or not and in either case our defense will be fine.
I'll be honest, I would really like to see him here, and I will be very happy if/when he signs.

But for years, ever since Dan Rather shoved a microphone into the face of every rescue worker he could find after the San Francisco earthquake, I make a point of ignoring breaking news. I figure nobody really knows anything at first, so I don't get wound up about it. So I'm with you about not getting excited in either direction. People will actually know something when he signs somewhere or files his retirement paperwork.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":14n227x7 said:

I thought the offer was on the table but it was the Broncos that wouldnt let him sign it because they wanted to see what Ware was gonna do.

You can see why a shitty move like that by the Broncos might make him feel extra insular.