5 trophies in the past or 1 now?

soje

Reaction score
I have a coworker who's a 49ers fan and we of course talk a lot about football, especially since the rivalry between our teams heated up back in 2012. He's a very reasonable fan and we both agree that while those 5 trophies they won in the past are pretty cool, he would gladly trade all those for a win now. More so because he's young and does not have many memories of that.

However, this does not seem to be a popular idea in the 49ers.com message boards.

There is a thread there about the Seahawks and I posted that while I respect their glorious past, I would trade all those trophies for a win now. I didn't get much support for my opinion from their fans, which was expected. I was even called a clown by a fellow Seahawks fan (maybe seeking approval from that board), for expressing such opinion.

What do you guys think? 5 trophies in the past or 1 in the present?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Being in the under 30 crowd, I'd gladly trade 5 for 1 now. That's too easy. It's dumb to claim something you didn't witness or can't even remember

RedAlice

Reaction score
Many of the Niner fans who post have been fans for a long time and did experience the SB wins. They are used to a rich tradition of their team as the elite among the 32, and fully expect them to reclaim that status now. So do many Raider fans.

The idea of a team with only one win being proud, who was never good before, seems to have less value to them.

Their idea is that IF they win again, that is Six. They continue on the tradition of being elite.

In 1982 when Niners won their first "chip" - Steelers already had 4, and Raiders had 2. Raiders won their 3rd before Niners got their second.

I doubt many old time Niner fans correlate 1982 first SB win to the euphoria of Hawk fans getting their first. Prolly the Steeler fans woulda been as arrogant to them as Niner fans are to you, if boards like this existed then.

Since Niner wins are so long ago, I would think any young Niner fan wishes for a win now. Not one in history.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The ninners are a great franchise with a great history of winning. They should be proud of those great superbowl teams as well as the team they have now. We shouldn't be so preoccupied with them around here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I would not trade five in the past for one now.

History matters. Not quite as much as 49ers fans think it does, but it matters nonetheless.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":2dxb599n said:
Many of the Niner fans who post have been fans for a long time and did experience the SB wins. They are used to a rich tradition of their team as the elite among the 32, and fully expect them to reclaim that status now. So do many Raider fans.

The idea of a team with only one win being proud, who was never good before, seems to have less value to them.

Their idea is that IF they win again, that is Six. They continue on the tradition of being elite.

In 1982 when Niners won their first "chip" - Steelers already had 4, and Raiders had 2. Raiders won their 3rd before Niners got their second.

I doubt many old time Niner fans correlate 1982 first SB win to the euphoria of Hawk fans getting their first. Prolly the Steeler fans woulda been as arrogant to them as Niner fans are to you, if boards like this existed then.

Since Niner wins are so long ago, I would think any young Niner fan wishes for a win now. Not one in history.

Agreed.

I happen to be old enough to remember all of them (tho was only 8 when they won their first) and wouldn't give up a single one of them for another. To be honest I think it's lunacy to suggest any one would be better than getting another let alone all 5.

Do the 5 Lombardi's matter a damn today? From a football perspective, very little. The only time they make a difference is when you bring in free agents and show them the trophy case. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much.

Do I want a 6th? Damn skippy...but there is no way I would ever give up a single one of them for another. BTW...it was in 82 as you mentioned, but it was actually the 81 season that they won their first. I remember that game as a kid. I remember my dad crying because they had finally won one. I remember playing Dan Marino and that unstoppable offense in the 84 season at Stanford. I remember John Taylor making that catch at the backline of the endzone to beat the Bengals in 88 with 34 seconds left. I remember Jerry Rice being pissed because he didn't get the Disneyland Commercial even though he was over 200 yards and the MVP. I remember the complete dismantling of the Broncos in 89.

I have never been a "we have 5 rings" braggart in conversations on .net or anywhere else because they have little bearing on what is happening now, but those Championships are a part of the 49er history that I witnessed and would never, ever give them up.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":31m5q7kh said:
To be honest I think it's lunacy to suggest any one would be better than getting another let alone all 5.
It's your guys' fault. You realize that, right? Seahawks fans have spent so many years being told by 49ers fans ALL THE TIME that you don't know what it's like, you haven't won anything, you're irrelevant, come back when you've achieved dynasty status, etc. etc. etc. that it breaks the minds of some of our fellow 12s, and they become completely irrational regarding this topic. It's similar to the phenomenon of some women just accepting being abused by their spouse.

(Before any moron jumps on me for equating it to physical abuse, I'm not. I'm just saying it's sort of a similar mindset, in a way; so calm the frig down.)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
A Niner related thread about Super Bowls started by a member with under 10 posts.

I'm not saying anything... just saying.

Who cares?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":x669fg78 said:
Marvin49":x669fg78 said:
To be honest I think it's lunacy to suggest any one would be better than getting another let alone all 5.
It's your guys' fault. You realize that, right? Seahawks fans have spent so many years being told by 49ers fans ALL THE TIME that you don't know what it's like, you haven't won anything, you're irrelevant, come back when you've achieved dynasty status, etc. etc. etc. that it breaks the minds of some of our fellow 12s, and they become completely irrational regarding this topic. It's similar to the phenomenon of some women just accepting being abused by their spouse.

(Before any moron jumps on me for equating it to physical abuse, I'm not. I'm just saying it's sort of a similar mindset, in a way; so calm the frig down.)

Well now you know what its like. Lets just see what happen IF you get a few more and Cards fans start mouthing off.

Watch how quick the number of Lombardi's comes up. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":1kdak4qo said:
RolandDeschain":1kdak4qo said:
Marvin49":1kdak4qo said:

Well now you know what its like. Lets just see what happen IF you get a few more and Cards fans start mouthing off.

Write my username down. Screenshot this post. I will never be like that, ever; and not ONLY will I never be haughty about it, I will actively call out fellow 12s that I see being haughty/jerk-ish about it both here and elsewhere. (In fact, I called a Seahawks fan a clown just yesterday on the official 49ers forum that made this exact claim, I'm thinking the person that started this thread might be the same person on that forum. If you're registered there, then view the post.)

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":unlejlmg said:
Marvin49":unlejlmg said:
RolandDeschain":unlejlmg said:
Marvin49":unlejlmg said:

Write my username down. Screenshot this post. I will never be like that, ever; and not ONLY will I never be haughty about it, I will actively call out fellow 12s that I see being haughty/jerk-ish about it both here and elsewhere. (In fact, I called a Seahawks fan a clown just yesterday on the official 49ers forum that made this exact claim, I'm thinking the person that started this thread might be the same person on that forum. If you're registered there, then view the post.)

I don't doubt you Roland, but get used to the fact that you will be painted with that brush anyway. Even with just one, there WILL be 12s who will bring it up 10 years from now because the Cards have none. If the 'hawks get more, it will just get worse and they will be annoying.

That's not a judgment on 'hawk fans BTW...its prevalent in ALL fanbases.

Then, just because there are fans who do that, ALL fans of that team will have to live down that reputation. That's EXACTLY what its like to be a Niner fan. I very seldom bring up the Lombardi's and if I do its always in a conversation like this one. That doesn't stop MANY peeps in this very forum to paint me with the "you just talk about the dusty trophies" brush.

I ain't complaining tho. Comes with the territory. Just get used to the fact that with success comes irritating fans of your own team that you can't control and a whole lot of peeps who try to disregard anything you say with the "you brag about ancient trophies" straw man.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yep, human nature is human nature. Annoying, in many cases.

There is one thing that occurred to me that link our two teams together regarding championships, though. We've both raped the Donkeys on the biggest stage. 8)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is a beyond silly question based on a mythical proposition.

If you want to trade 5 for 1, it's easy. Become a Niner fan. Presto.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1heoaura said:
Yep, human nature is human nature. Annoying, in many cases.

There is one thing that occurred to me that link our two teams together regarding championships, though. We've both raped the Donkeys on the biggest stage. 8)

Yup. Combined score of 98-18. :D

I'd say John Elway must have NFC West nightmares, but Atlanta was still in the division when he beat them.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ilnx4l0 said:
Now here's a question for you, Marvin. Which win was more impressive, in your opinion? The 49ers had a larger point differential and total, but the Seahawks did it in a more pass-friendly era AND it was the greatest statistical offense ever. Your thoughts?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3o8z7nku said:
Marvin49":3o8z7nku said:
Now here's a question for you, Marvin. Which win was more impressive, in your opinion? The 49ers had a larger point differential and total, but the Seahawks did it in a more pass-friendly era AND it was the greatest statistical offense ever. Your thoughts?

I can't even pretend to not be biased on this one. LOL.

I think it was the Niners mainly because I'm a Niner fan but also because even though it was 55-10, it wasn't as close as the score would indicate. :D

Both were damn impressive though.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Of course you're biased on this one. I'm biased on mine. Only when we admit our biases, can we begin to account for them and try to set them aside to provide a more honest and unbiased opinion. :)

OP
OP
soje

soje

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3cg6qbt8 said:
A Niner related thread about Super Bowls started by a member with under 10 posts.

I'm not saying anything... just saying.

Who cares?

I'm sorry, what is the number of posts one needs in order to start a thread related to the Niners in this board?

OP
OP
soje

soje

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":863pwv41 said:
Marvin49":863pwv41 said:
RolandDeschain":863pwv41 said:
Marvin49":863pwv41 said:

Let's make things clear: you referred to me as a clown in that forum just for expressing my opinion that I would trade all their 5 rings for one now. That was classless, bro.

Jville

Reaction score
It was a very different league back during the 49er run. So ... all of that is historical trivia.

With regards to last years Super Bowl, most spots on 90 man NFL rosters are filled and training camps are opening up for the coming campaign.