Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

dadof3

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1pvhimz2 said:
Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

I think they'll rebuild key arena some how, no matter how inferior it is to SODO and politicians will ignore all the complains about traffic etc.

My concern is that the bidders come back and say that they can make the Key 'a world class music venue' but that it cant support a sports franchise. I think the city would proceed with that plan as they want to Key arena fixed, in turn killing all NBA/NHL hopes as they wouldn't allow another arena at SODO to compete in case it took away those acts.
That's exactly the kind of stupid, narrow minded thinking that will get you voted out of office anywhere in this country. So, you know that's exactly what will happen here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":wcc6r1yw said:
People are still talking about the arena thing?

People want their basketball team back, not sure why that's hard to believe.

IMO even though the SoDo/Hansen proposal makes 100 times more sense than cramming a bigger arena into an area of the city that's already too small and logistically a nightmare traffic wise, it's VERY apparent that's the only direction our idiot government is willing to go to make this work.

In the end, I love Hansen, but all I care about is getting the Sonics and hockey here ASAP. If that means a new Key? Then so be it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21cmj8zc said:
Hawk-Lock":21cmj8zc said:
People are still talking about the arena thing?

People want their basketball team back, not sure why that's hard to believe.

IMO even though the SoDo/Hansen proposal makes 100 times more sense than cramming a bigger arena into an area of the city that's already too small and logistically a nightmare traffic wise, it's VERY apparent that's the only direction our idiot government is willing to go to make this work.

In the end, I love Hansen, but all I care about is getting the Sonics and hockey here ASAP. If that means a new Key? Then so be it.

For sure. My comment was more about how frustrating the process has been to try to get an arena/NBA team. I know we will get a team back at some point, but I'm done getting excited only to be let down. First it was David Stern blocking the sale of the Kings to the Hansen group, and now it's stupid politics getting in the way of sports. Maybe that's what I'm put off by this whole thing, I really don't like politics. Every time it seems like we are ready to move forward....dumb politics gets in the way.

I grew up a Sonics fan more than anything. I love the Seahawks, but when I think back to my childhood and growing up in Seattle, I think about the Sonics. Before this was a football city, this was a basketball city. Seattle is home to not only the loudest football stadium, but was also the loudest NBA arena.

chris98251

Reaction score
You upgrade the Key and then they will say that there isn't enough parking and that the roads need improvement and they will want to add a tax on this and that to do it before they go after a NBA team.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1ml8ta3g said:
Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

I think they'll rebuild key arena some how, no matter how inferior it is to SODO and politicians will ignore all the complains about traffic etc.

My concern is that the bidders come back and say that they can make the Key 'a world class music venue' but that it cant support a sports franchise. I think the city would proceed with that plan as they want to Key arena fixed, in turn killing all NBA/NHL hopes as they wouldn't allow another arena at SODO to compete in case it took away those acts.
The Port and the Mariners have the Seattle CC and Mayor in their pockets. The only way CH's plan gets approval is if these clowns are voted out of office.

They are turning down a FREE ARENA, that will cost the city and the taxpayers NOTHING, unless you go to see an event at said new arena! That's moronic in more ways than one!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
chris98251":ywjv3ggp said:
You upgrade the Key and then they will say that there isn't enough parking and that the roads need improvement and they will want to add a tax on this and that to do it before they go after a NBA team.

Or upgrade the Key only to be told 10 years from now that it is inadequate. Didn't they renovate the Key in the mid 90's only to be told several years later that it wasn't good enough?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Was that not more that the nba wanted their piece of the pie after seeing safeco and centurylink built?

Pretty sure just a couple of years before stern called the key world class.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1qt45kw6 said:
https://16winsaring.com/sources-nba-expansion-looming-with-two-new-franchises-a4dd52b563d6#.texuv1cpu

Right about now would be a good time for the city to get its act together.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the NBA has held at 31 teams for a while now, they're waiting for Seattle to get their act together and approve a new arena. Somewhere, anywhere.

The fact that the mayor has scheduled meetings with both the NBA and NHL tells me there's some juice to the Key Arena proposals.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":37fofh5r said:
I think your right but I worry about reports like this: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/storm/a ... 862908.php

He's denying it but if there is any truth that worries.

I'm not big fan of Murray, but he's not an idiot. He's not going to avoid the NBA when literally one of the biggest reasons he's trying to entice construction firms to remodel or rebuild Key IS to get a team back.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It brings up a lot of good points. The new CBA has been agreed, the league is starting to talk expansion, how long are impact studies etc going to take if the city is hell bent on staying at Key Arena? Can these things be expedited? I know SODO studies took a while once the Kings fell through and it felt like the city dragged its heels. That would be a fear if they didnt get stuff done in time for those leagues.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":boeyw3xj said:
It brings up a lot of good points. The new CBA has been agreed, the league is starting to talk expansion, how long are impact studies etc going to take if the city is hell bent on staying at Key Arena? Can these things be expedited? I know SODO studies took a while once the Kings fell through and it felt like the city dragged its heels. That would be a fear if they didnt get stuff done in time for those leagues.

This is the thing that too many people aren't figuring out, including Hansen and his group.............the city literally DOES NOT CARE about any timeline of getting an NBA or NHL team.

They are solely and utterly hyper focused on making Key Arena a profitable asset of the city and county again, whatever and whenever that means.

If the NBA and/or NHL come after that's done? Then great, but it's not even on their radar as a primary motivator as to which project to back. It's crystal clear which project they're backing, and it ain't Hansen's SODO project. That's why he's desperately sweetening the deal seemingly once a month.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
btw, why can't we do both projects?

You can still upgrade the Key and surrounding area to make it a more attractive and viable facility for concerts, etc...........AND approve Hansen's SODO project for sports teams.

God forbid we think big people!

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c6wqvxf said:

You can still upgrade the Key and surrounding area to make it a more attractive and viable facility for concerts, etc...........AND approve Hansen's SODO project for sports teams.

You'd think so, but these are politicians we are talking about.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3makjylj said:

I imagine Hanson probably wants the revenue from concerts as well though?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1se1owi3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1se1owi3 said:

I imagine Hanson probably wants the revenue from concerts as well though?

Maybe initially he would have said that, but now? I think he'd be just fine with two sports teams as tenants with 184 guaranteed games a year....................and if that helped form a compromise with the city over having an outside company like AEG come in and make Key arena a slightly smaller facility but more attractive for concerts, ice capades and all that entertainment type stuff?

Sounds like a win win for both sides.