Aldon Smith turned himself in, details still to come

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2mcouwpx said:
It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.

Wasn't a bad signing then, and it's still not a bad signing because his contracts going to be cancelled if the report is true.

Would have been a bad signing if we committed 20M in guaranteed money with no discipline clauses or something stupid.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":29wbv8fi said:
It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.

There was only two in the whole thread and Seymour was being sarcastic so really only one post criticizing the FO. Think your jumping the gun on that claim.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2lhjbhs0 said:
brimsalabim":2lhjbhs0 said:
Has our office never heard the term " due diligence"? Surely we have some kind of clause written into our contracts that would invalidate his for committing a felony assault off of the field? Perhaps an insurance policy that pays the team in the event of non performance related to stupidity?

You did notice that said incident happened AFTER he was signed right?

How can one do due diligence on an event that hasnt even happened yet?

Well, as an employer, I always run a background check on prospective employees and verify their references. This guy has a long history of being a fut up!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1xya3h8e said:
Hawkpower":1xya3h8e said:
brimsalabim":1xya3h8e said:
Has our office never heard the term " due diligence"? Surely we have some kind of clause written into our contracts that would invalidate his for committing a felony assault off of the field? Perhaps an insurance policy that pays the team in the event of non performance related to stupidity?

Well, as an employer, I always run a background check on prospective employees and verify their references. This guy has a long history of being a fut up!

That's why he was signed for the vet minimum with incentive clauses and only 137k of dead cap.

You guys act like we just committed 40M of guaranteed money to this guy. It was a zero risk vet minimum contract BECAUSE of his long history of being a fut up.

Low risk, potential for high reward and still doesn't prevent us from signing someone else.

Sucks cause Smith could have been a great addition to the D-line rotation..........but enough already with the "OMG why didn't anyone think of this happening" nonsense. They did think of that, thus the contract.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3pkog974 said:
Hawkpower":3pkog974 said:
brimsalabim":3pkog974 said:

My assumption with your post was that you were misinformed on the timing (obviously)

My 9 year old son even knew Aldon Smith had past troubles, so your implication the FO was lacking due diligence doesnt make even make sense.

Hence the low risk/high reward

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fd2qu2y said:
brimsalabim":3fd2qu2y said:
Hawkpower":3fd2qu2y said:
brimsalabim":3fd2qu2y said:

That's why he was signed for the vet minimum with incentive clauses and only 137k of dead cap.

You guys act like we just committed 40M of guaranteed money to this guy. It was a zero risk vet minimum contract BECAUSE of his long history of being a fut up.

Low risk, potential for high reward and still doesn't prevent us from signing someone else.

Sucks cause Smith could have been a great addition to the D-line rotation..........but enough already with the "OMG why didn't anyone think of this happening" nonsense. They did think of that, thus the contract.

And if he is found to be innocent I am sure everyone shouting at the devil here will recant what they said right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1o049mze said:
Sgt. Largent":1o049mze said:
brimsalabim":1o049mze said:
Hawkpower":1o049mze said:

And if he is found to be innocent I am sure everyone shouting at the devil here will recant what they said right?

Yes, some fans are perfectly willing to chastise Pete and John for signing character issue players like Smith, Harvin or McDowell.......but are quiet about the same risk taken that worked out like Lynch and Frank Clark.

It's a risk every team takes, we're no different.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Video could show that Smith never touched the man who instigated battery charges against him in Louisiana. Video could support the notion that Smith and other family members went to talk to the husband of Smith’s pregnant sister after an alleged altercation between the two.

Smith will contend, we’re told, that he didn’t touch the man. If the video can indeed back up that up, this situation could be resolved quickly, just as the Donald situation was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... r-BB1fRzQ5

As Seahawks Await Details on Aldon Smith, There's No Need to Push Panic Button on Pass Rush

Even if defensive end Aldon Smith doesn't play a single snap for the Seahawks in 2021, there are still plenty of options in free agency to choose from and they may be fine with what they already have on the roster.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... -pass-rush

Atradees

Reaction score
I am sure he could play all season the way the courts work now.
The league took awhile to suspend Reed.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ncwi2au said:
Video could show that Smith never touched the man who instigated battery charges against him in Louisiana. Video could support the notion that Smith and other family members went to talk to the husband of Smith’s pregnant sister after an alleged altercation between the two.

Smith will contend, we’re told, that he didn’t touch the man. If the video can indeed back up that up, this situation could be resolved quickly, just as the Donald situation was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... r-BB1fRzQ5

As Seahawks Await Details on Aldon Smith, There's No Need to Push Panic Button on Pass Rush

Even if defensive end Aldon Smith doesn't play a single snap for the Seahawks in 2021, there are still plenty of options in free agency to choose from and they may be fine with what they already have on the roster.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... -pass-rush

Glad to hear that. Hopefully, for everyone involved, that's the case.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Worst case, according to police he choked someone out.

Does that mean he can no longer play football?

Punishment ranges from several thousand dollars to years in jail.

But even if he did do it, I probably don't care unless I am the guy getting choked out. Unless he has to serve time, he should say on the roster. Prematurely releasing him would be stupid and only hurt us.

Smith's list of transgressions is long and admittedly weird. He was still a wrecking ball against us.

Clearly, we are not dealing with a MENSA candidate here.

What would be annoying is to see him cut, then do a Kareem Hunt on us and be fantastic somewhere else.

We should just expect he will probably do some crazy things, hopefully still be able to play, and rack up sacks for us.

Barkley supposedly threw someone through a plate glass window once, (or that is an urban legend). Nobody was clamoring to get rid of him for it.

Would anyone really be that upset if he did it but still played?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
rjdriver":2jjbc01y said:
In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

I have zero doubt that "Vinnie's helmet", "the officiating", "the pick", Malik, Josh Gordon, and now Aldon Smith are just small corrections the universe is making to make up for my repugnancy 30 years ago. I officially apologize to all my fellow Hawks fans.

This story comes full circle if the woman you turned down is a Patriots fan

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":17orj21j said:
rjdriver":17orj21j said:
In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

I have zero doubt that "Vinnie's helmet", "the officiating", "the pick", Malik, Josh Gordon, and now Aldon Smith are just small corrections the universe is making to make up for my repugnancy 30 years ago. I officially apologize to all my fellow Hawks fans.

This story comes full circle if the woman you turned down is a Patriots fan
:snack:
For the win...

Jerhawk

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3t9d7j57 said:
Jerhawk":3t9d7j57 said:
rjdriver":3t9d7j57 said:

Super Bowl XL, "We want the ball and we're gonna score" Shaun Alexander post contract, Rick Mirer, Aaron Curry, Koren Robinson.

You selfish pig. Look at what you've done!!

Rick Mirer is not a blemish in seahawks history. Good rookie year and being able to draft both Springs and Jones in the 1997 draft. Who knows what they would have done, but they took Springs first so without the Mirer trade the Seahawks may have never had Jones.

That's an outstanding counterpoint!

And to those of you who bash poor Jim Mora Jr:
He traded our 2nd round pick in 2009 to the Broncos for a future 1st round pick in 2010. They used that pick for Earl Thomas.
So, yes, rjdriver has helped this franchise.

Alton Smith on the other hand...
Hopefully this is more of a Quinton Dunbar situation and not a Josh Gordon situation. Time will tell!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
If the story about his sister is true, they should give him a raise.